We are hiring!

Booklist for GS Mains 2013 All 4 Papers [New Syllabus]

Comments

• @mrinal n kafka...
    thnx buddies...!!!
  • edited June 2013
    Anthropology as optional & coaching availability, if anyone can share pros & cons of having it, would be extremely helpful
  • edited June 2013
    Anthropology as optional & coaching availability, if anyone can share pros & cons of having it, would be extremely helpful
    This is a thread to discuss Booklist for GS Mains. For anthropology queries:

http://www.forumias.com/discussion/1126/strategy-for-anthropology/p1
  • Not getting Jain and Mathur anywhere. Ordered it from two separate websites, both of them cancelled one after another.

Any ideas, I am in Mumbai
    CSE-2013 | Cracked :)
    It's the personality, we bring to the exam preparation, which differentiates us
  • edited June 2013
    Not getting Jain and Mathur anywhere. Ordered it from two separate websites, both of them cancelled one after another.

try the jawahar book center's website or call them up....
    http://www.jawahar-book-centre.com/query.html#con

check whether they'll post it to u, i just bought the book yesterday from there
  • I gave up on Jain and Mathur when I saw A History of the Modern World

PS - This was already pointed out by someone else in an earlier discussion, and that is why I decided to avoid the said book. However, I have not touched the book so have no idea on merit/de-merit/quality/content of Jain and Mathur. It was prima-facie decision.
    @fallen_leaves I just got a copy of Palmer. Jain and Mathur seems to have copied its cover?
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
  • Any other feedback from people reading Jain and Mathur (keeping in mind that we will be using it for one topic under GS and not an optional). Quite a few contradicting opinions in market.

Pls suggest

Thanks
    Dulali
  • I was trying to put together a list of sources to read from. To be honest, I didn't find any that covered everything. It's all scattered across multiple sources. So I decided to give up finding comprehensive sources and go with each topic individually.

Just started off with the culture part. I had compiled some books and pdfs to go through. I'm happy with the progress even though it's just kicking off. Atleast now I see the entire shoreline of the ocean.

There are about 60 topics in all in all four GS papers combined - some vast, some small. I reckon, if I follow the syllabus it's going to take me 1-3 days on average per topic. That gives me just enough time (I hope) to cover it all.

Anybody agrees?
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • All my note-making/data-collation should be over by the end of June. After that my strategy is to give one day of the week to each GS paper + one day to the optional, the remaining 2 days to whichever paper I feel I am lagging behind in. In Sep/Oct I will make micro-notes on all topics so that my revision time for each paper will come down to a day or two.
  • Sorry, but I am unable to understand why is everyone so possessive of World History in this forum (the topic dominates in every discussion). In my opinion, it's a newly introduced topic like many others but ideally should have an equal weight age in Paper I which comprises of Culture, History, Social Issues and Geography. Out of these four, history and geography are further divided into World and Indian, which means "world history" could fetch you around 40 marks in Paper I (assuming 250/6). Even if you want to spend additional time for world history considering it has been introduced for the first time, would it be possible to cover the amount of reference material mentioned in some of the posts in reasonable time? On the other hand, if it really requires that much time, won't it be a better strategy to go through the important events/revolutions and devote the time else where?

I may be totally wrong and not able to see some reason for this extra focus on a particular topic in one of the 4 GS papers
  • Sorry, but I am unable to understand why is everyone so possessive of World History in this forum (the topic dominates in every discussion). In my opinion, it's a newly introduced topic like many others but ideally should have an equal weight age in Paper I which comprises of Culture, History, Social Issues and Geography. Out of these four, history and geography are further divided into World and Indian, which means "world history" could fetch you around 40 marks in Paper I (assuming 250/6). Even if you want to spend additional time for world history considering it has been introduced for the first time, would it be possible to cover the amount of reference material mentioned in some of the posts in reasonable time? On the other hand, if it really requires that much time, won't it be a better strategy to go through the important events/revolutions and devote the time else where?

I may be totally wrong and not able to see some reason for this extra focus on a particular topic in one of the 4 GS papers
    Very true, everyone is needlessly worrying so much about world history. I think even wikipedia would suffice if you go through all the major events/wars/revolution.

I guess everyone is taking comfort in the familiar. No one is discussing, say, "Ethics and Human Interface" because we don't have a clue what the hell that is about.
  • edited June 2013
    @aspirant767
    I have the spectrum Indian culture (2012). Is the new spectrum u mentioned updated version or the same ?
    Pls throw light on this.
    its the same. just they changed the cover

• @bdebbarma as you have bought the books for GS , i just wanted to ask had you bought India Since Independence by Bipin Chandra the revised and enlarged version with yellowish cover or with blue cover . What is the cost of the book?
    On online shops they are providing with blue cover and Only in flipkart it is the yellowish one (revised and enlarged) that also out of stock. Please help , what are the major differences between two if you have observed?

@Stardust1901 I need your help also bro regarding above query.
  • For all those who are buying, Infibeam is selling most of the books at cheap prices. Just ordered myself Ram Ahuja's Social Problems and Arjun Dev's World History.

A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • @bdebbarma as you have bought the books for GS , i just wanted to ask had you bought India Since Independence by Bipin Chandra the revised and enlarged version with yellowish cover or with blue cover . What is the cost of the book?
    On online shops they are providing with blue cover and Only in flipkart it is the yellowish one (revised and enlarged) that also out of stock. Please help , what are the major differences between two if you have observed?

I have the revised and enlarged edition of the book which I bought from flipkart for 200 (there was a one-day discount at the time). It contains all the relevant portions but I have no idea what how it differs from the blue cover one. You might want to check in a book store.

i bought the yellow cover one....it cost me rs 330 in jawahar, ber sarai...
    i asked in mukherjee nagar same is available for rs 360....
    dnt know the difference b/w yellow n blue one ..but someone earlier in the forum said that the yellow is a revised and recently updated book..

I ordered one from amazon.in, got it at Rs 250. Yellow colour cover - reads 'Revised and Updated' and not 'Revised and Enlarged'.
    Currently available on the same website at Rs 297
  • Hello All, I have one query, Is it necessary to read Uma Kapila economy book? If it is then which book, since there are many books authored by her and all looks relevant. Thanks in advance.
  • @sauraviiser : all her books are decent.. you can purchase indian economy- performance and policies.. you dont have to read the entire book.. the idea is to be selective.. since this the new pattern, a little exercise of judgement would definitely be required...
    [ CSE-2013 ]
  • Hello All, I have one query, Is it necessary to read Uma Kapila economy book? If it is then which book, since there are many books authored by her and all looks relevant. Thanks in advance.
    I think there is a new edition 2013 out for the same
  • @dulali the yellow one is not available any where on online shop. Its the blue one which they are selling. What to do?
  • @rohit21

I went through the same dilemma. For the benefit of the larger audience, let me explain again in detail:

1) Before ordering check the edition year they mention (I think the latest one is 2007/2008). There are two blue books - one, India After Independence and other India Since Independence. The latter is the latest one/new one even after being blue in colour

2) The yellow book has been mentioned by many on the forum here as 'revised and updated'. At Amazon, the order link showed me the picture of the blue book (India Since Independence) but they end up sending me the yellow one only. So I am comfortable.

To sum up the decision is not between blue and yellow, it is between After and Since.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks,
    Dulali
  • edited June 2013
    Not getting Jain and Mathur anywhere. Ordered it from two separate websites, both of them cancelled one after another.

Its available at Kumar Book depot, Rajinder ngr,delhi
    I hv myself brought it from there 2 days before.
    Book is originally available, not the photocopy version.

• Does anyone have link for From government to governance by kuldeep mathur pdf? I prefer to own hard copy however I could not get any in the shopping sites

Very true, everyone is needlessly worrying so much about world history. I think even wikipedia would suffice if you go through all the major events/wars/revolution.

I guess everyone is taking comfort in the familiar. No one is discussing, say, "Ethics and Human Interface" because we don't have a clue what the hell that is about.
    +1. Yes. History and rather World History is being given undue importance. Reason: As @stardust1901 already mentioned, we are discussing familiar stuff. Not much is happening with the Ethics section as it is uncharted waters for all of us.
  • edited June 2013
    I gave up on Jain and Mathur when I saw A History of the Modern World

PS - This was already pointed out by someone else in an earlier discussion, and that is why I decided to avoid the said book. However, I have not touched the book so have no idea on merit/de-merit/quality/content of Jain and Mathur. It was prima-facie decision.
    @fallen_leaves I just got a copy of Palmer. Jain and Mathur seems to have copied its cover?
    At the least, they have copied the cover. :P And based on what has been said in other threads/places, a lot of content too. Lol
  • @fallen_leaves @Stardust1901 which books you guys are reading for economics and sociology part in GS paper.

For economics i am referring to mrunals post, economic survey 12-13 and year book, NCERTs also. Do we have to go for Uma kapila or ramesh singh.

Also for Sociology i have the ignou materials and NCERTs 11-12 but didn't segregated it or do we have to go for standard books like MN srinivas or Yogendra Singh
  • edited June 2013
    @fallen_leaves @Stardust1901 which books you guys are reading for economics and sociology part in GS paper.

For economics i am referring to mrunals post, economic survey 12-13 and year book, NCERTs also. Do we have to go for Uma kapila or ramesh singh.

Also for Sociology i have the ignou materials and NCERTs 11-12 but didn't segregated it or do we have to go for standard books like MN srinivas or Yogendra Singh
    For Sociology I am referring to IGNOU and some random books/articles on women's / caste / tribal / urbanisation / labour issues I have collected.

For Economics: Eco Survey + XIIth Plan Approach Paper + Ramesh Singh + NCERTs + A Companion to the History of Economic Thought + rss feeds of various websites like The Economist, Foreign Policy, Forbes, Project Syndicate. (I am going for overkill on Economics because I enjoy it and it helps with Pol Sci)
  • Guys, how are sriram IAS notes for Eco GS??
    1st attempt. Law optional for mains 2013
  • edited June 2013
    For socio and economics areas , basic books from NCERT series 11, 12th would do . I dont think specialized book [including M.N Sreenivas'] need to be covered .
    If you could read news from pib , FM Gold , newspapers[ Hindu and Indian Express] and EPW [if time permits], its enough I guess . Since the text book which everybody mentions here is suitable for Socio optess , not for General Studies

NB:
    See how UPSC makes our life miserable , use syllabus judiciously , dont over-step the territory to specialized studies BEWARE
    2017--> 8th attempt
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly