Saudi Arabia to host G20 summit in 2020 Nepal launches its first satellite from the USA IT dept. proposes new norms for taxing MNCs Plea in SC on voting rights of undertrials and convicts Officials allow some persons to cast ‘tendered’ votes in T.N.

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Booklist for GS Mains 2013 All 4 Papers [New Syllabus]

edited October 2015 in Books & Booklists
hello all,

I am posting below the List of Books for various papers of the updated GS Syllabus, that have been collected after an elaborate research, talking to teachers and humanities subjects seniors. This is also tallying with what Ravindran Sir of Vajiram & Ravi has given and also has largely been posted on the forum in multiple places, recommended by co-aspirants.

Paper I

History & Culture :-

1. Facets of Indian Culture (New Edition by Spectrum) [Updated Link, working]
2. [Must Read]India after Independence by Bipan Chandra
3. India After Gandhi by Ramchandra Guha - Good to Read
4. [Must Read]History of the World by Arjun Dev & Indira Dev (Orinet Blackswan) OR Old NCERT of same name (Xerox is available - exactly same book)
5. Contemporary World by Arjun Dev / Old NCERT xerox by same author
6. [Must Read]Bipan Chandra's India's Struggle for Independence

If you're looking at a one stop book for World History, try Norman Lowe's Mastering World History. Its brilliant, written in question answer format, pointwise.

Social Issues :-

1. 11th Class NCERT book on Sociology
2. [Must Read]Social Problems in India by Ram Ahuja

Geography:-
1.[Must Read] Go Cheng Leon
2. Principles of Geography - NECRT 11th Book
3. Economic Geography of the World (11th Class NCERT)
4. Physical Geography of India (NCERT)
5. Environment & Economic Geography (NCERT - 9th Class)
6. Cultural & Economic Geography of India (NCERT)
7. Geography & You Magazine
8. For those who don't have time to hunt for NECRTs and dont like NCERT - by far the best book for Geography Paper - 1 is India & World Geography by TMH for paper 1

Paper II

Indian Polity :-
1. Democracy at Work -12th NCERT
2. Indian Polity by Laxmikant
3. DD Basu's Constitution of India - Selected Analytical Parts/One reading

Public Administration Topics :-
1. From Govt to Governance by Kuldeep Mathur (A very thin book, Out Of Print, Get Xerox from Delhi)
2. Social Thoery, Development Administration & Ethics by Mohit Bhattacharya
3. 2nd ARC Report on Ethics in Governance, Corruption, Security - Internal & External

International Relations:-
1. by Rajiv Sikri - Good To Read but Not Essential
2. The Hindu, Indian Express
3. World Focus Magazine (selective articles)
4. IDSA Website
5. The Diplomat

Paper III

Economy:-
1. NCERTs - 11th & 12th
2. [Must Read]Economic Survey
3. Newspapers
4. [Must Read] Indian Economy by TMH - Get 5th Edition, which is more updated. Link for for 4th Edition is here

Science & Technology:-
1. Newspaper
2. Ministry of S & T Website
3. Department of Space Website
4. MoEF Website

Security Issues:-
1. Newspaper
2. Magazine - Frontline, Yojana Selected Articles
3. Home Ministry Website

Paper IV

1. ARC Reports
* Ethics
* Corruption
2. Lectures on the same on Youtube
3. cec edusat

Comments

• List seems from vajiram :-?
    Yunan-o-Misr-o-Roma Sab Mit Gaye Jahan Se
    Ab Tak Magar Hai Baki Naam-o-Nishan Hamara
    Kuchh Baat Hai Ke Hasti Mit’ti Nahin Hamari
    Sadiyon Raha Hai Dushman Daur-e-Zaman Hamara...jai hind
  • list according to Vision IAS, is i think is better than the Vajiram list.
  • any good book for world geography please ...NCERT don't cover them (as far as I know)
    CSE-2013 | Cracked :)
    It's the personality, we bring to the exam preparation, which differentiates us
  • list according to Vision IAS, is i think is better than the Vajiram list.
    can you pls share it
    CSE-2013 | Cracked :)
    It's the personality, we bring to the exam preparation, which differentiates us
  • edited June 2013
    A compilation of resources worth referring,which people might find of use.
    There are many topics for which resources have not been listed.
    Suggestions would be highly appreciated :)
    CSE2014 Center: Patna
  • @Dulali
    those links have already been posted in the forum... the following is the 1st document..
    pdf
    pdf
    1_-target-2013-paper-i-paper-ii-all-india-g-s-mains-test-series-2013-10-mock-tests-current-affairs-notes-module-2june.pdf
  • this is the second document..
    But these are as per their classroom coaching.. am not sure if there is any seperate list having the names of the books alone...
    pdf
    pdf
    1_-target-2013-paper-ii-paper-iii-all-india-g-s-mains-test-series-2013-10-mock-tests-current-affairs-notes-module-2june.pdf
  • A compilation of resources worth referring,which people might find of use.
    the missing attachment
    pdf
    pdf
    Syllabus-cum-Resources.pdf
  • pls if anyone can give the links to the sources in above said attachment.
  • edited June 2013
    A compilation of resources worth referring,which people might find of use.
    the missing attachment
    This list was given by any coaching or is based on your research? Also, there are certain sources which are not known to many. Could you put in the links to the sources mentioned(other than the obvious ones)? TIA :)
  • edited June 2013

This list was given by any coaching or is based on your research? Also, there are certain sources which are not known to many. Could you put in the links to the sources mentioned(other than the obvious ones)? TIA :)
    This list has been generated by me for the resources I have libraried for the CSE Mains 2013.
    I have hard copy of everything and hence it would be tough to link everything.
    However, the new syllabus is same for everyone and everyone will have his/er own unique approach.
    This list is mines, you will definitely have a better list to target the bull's eye.
    Again, don't follow the list as its not prepared by any Coaching, but a fellow aspirant only - just have a look and take what you need, Most books are available at Flipkart/Infibeam/Bookaada.
    Just note to compare the prices before placing orders ;)

No more comments from my side... getting back to the books :)

Hope I have not disappointed you! :)

• Geography:-
    8. For those who don't have time to hunt for NECRTs and dont like NCERT - by far the best book for Geography Paper - 1 is India & World Geography by TMH for paper 1

I am surprised that nobody is surprised at the names of the Geography NCERT books recommended by Mr. Ravindran. As far as I know no these are not the titles of the books published by NCERT.

11th standard books are: Fundamentals of Physical Geography, and India PhysicalEnvironment.
    12th standard books are: India People an Economy, and Fundamentals of Human Geography.

Am I missing something here??????
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know." - Sucker Punch
    *********************************************************************************************

I am surprised that nobody is surprised at the names of the Geography NCERT books recommended by Mr. Ravindran. As far as I know no these are not the titles of the books published by NCERT.

11th standard books are: Fundamentals of Physical Geography, and India PhysicalEnvironment.
    12th standard books are: India People an Economy, and Fundamentals of Human Geography.

Bro.. These all books are published by NCERT...

Check out here :-

http://ncert.nic.in/ncerts/textbook/textbook.htm

in 11th and 12th Geography Section .. These 4 books are available.. Its better you download these books from this link only...
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
  • i am sorry but doesnt seem like a comprehensive list to me,especially the economics part....imo tmh book is better for prelims but for mains ,ignou notes alongwithiwth with a book like datta-sundaram/uma kapila would be needed...
    Stay Classy ...Stay Genuine
  • A compilation of resources worth referring,which people might find of use.
    the missing attachment
    i m going to circulate this book list in vajiram sriram KBC bookshop ect. it will defiantly force the people to quite the preparation bhaiyo jisako bhi apni purani khunash ya phir dusmani nikalani ho es book list ka use karo us bando ko thama do frust ho kar bhag jayega :-)) :-)) :-))

please make one column for shop where we get all this book =)) =)) =))
  • edited June 2013
    If everyone follows Mr.Ravindran religiously , no one from that Institute would be in Service @abhi4046
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • Given the number of books and pdf's suggested to read from various sources ,i think ,i would be able to give Mains only in 2014 .

Regarding Vajiram and others - would they able to teach so much within 3 months given their background that they teach so much absurd and irrelevant things .

It is just a propaganda of these coaching institutes to frustrate and burden the candidates so that they join some sort of coaching for guidance to complete the course in easy and simple manner.

I personally believe we should stick to basics as this would be the first exam on this pattern and NCERT's should be given utmost weight-age.

After all if one has standard knowledge he/she could definitely write excellent answers.

Bro.. These all books are published by NCERT...

Check out here :-

http://ncert.nic.in/ncerts/textbook/textbook.htm

in 11th and 12th Geography Section .. These 4 books are available.. Its better you download these books from this link only...
    I know the four books that I mentioned are available on NCERT Website. I am talking about the books mentioned in Mr. Ravindran's list. Kindly provide the link to any of the NCERTs mentioned in Mr. Ravindran's list. The NCERT website has Fundamentals of Physical Geography and India PhysicalEnvironment in the Class XI menu, whereas the above lists mentions Principles of Geography - NECRT 11th Book and Economic Geography of the World (11th Class NCERT).
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know." - Sucker Punch
    *********************************************************************************************
  • Given the number of books and pdf's suggested to read from various sources ,i think ,i would be able to give Mains only in 2014 .

Regarding Vajiram and others - would they able to teach so much within 3 months given their background that they teach so much absurd and irrelevant things .

It is just a propaganda of these coaching institutes to frustrate and burden the candidates so that they join some sort of coaching for guidance to complete the course in easy and simple manner.

I personally believe we should stick to basics as this would be the first exam on this pattern and NCERT's should be given utmost weight-age.

After all if one has standard knowledge he/she could definitely write excellent answers.
    completely agree!!!!!
    first make the core ( fundamental) then start enrichment. NCERT and standard book are sufficient for making core
    As Chankya said if u read one time write two times and think three times.
  • Imo before referring to any of the books, one should have gone through relevant NCERT and IGNOU books at least couple of times.
  • book for world history---NCERT-- The story of civilization volume-2 for class 10 prepared by Arjun Dev
  • @aspirant767
    I have the spectrum Indian culture (2012). Is the new spectrum u mentioned updated version or the same ?
    Pls throw light on this.
  • Cultural & Economic Geography of India (NCERT) is not a NCERT book. Please throw some more light on this.
    Economic Geography of the World (11th Class NCERT) is also not there as NCERT.
    I am saying this after checking with ncert.nic.in
  • edited June 2013
    Whatever it is , if you has a book , then read it . Then find yourself whether it is worth- while or not
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • Can anyone provide link for the following OLD ncert's

World History
    1.The story of Civilization, Vol. 2 (NCERT) Arjun Dev
    2.Contemporary World History (NCERT) Arjun Dev & others

• hi,shud ignou notes b studied for history,geography,polity,economics?
    shud v study IGNOU BA notes?
    can anyone plz paste its link?
  • egyankosh.ac.in . Search there , you will get more
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • Can anyone provide link for the following OLD ncert's

World History
    1.The story of Civilization, Vol. 2 (NCERT) Arjun Dev

The above books are out of print by NCERT, since 2001. You can get xerox in any shop in ORN or MN
    The author, Arjun Dev has come up with publishing the same book via Orient Blackswan , you can get it in a book shop.

History of the World is available on Flipkart.

• @aspirant767
    I have the spectrum Indian culture (2012). Is the new spectrum u mentioned updated version or the same ?
    Pls throw light on this.
    2012 is the latest one, I think. It has everything. No need to buy any furthur updated one.
  • To all my friends, i just put up a list compiled by me from vajiram and other places. All I want to say is that read any one book on a topic. again, syllabus is so distributed (and problem with NCERT is that for same topic there are books in 7,9,10,12th!!) that we will have to have several resources and do selective reading.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google