‘Microbial toxins found in popular e-cigarettes’ In a first, NASA probe detects ‘marsquake’ on the Red Planet HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

How to attempt in GS paper 4???

Please anybody throw some light on how to attempt the ethics paper like whether we should attempt case studies first or the ques ans???
And how much time to be given to case studies in the exam. I had given half the time to both the sections and attempted case studies later and got 80 marks. So i want to increase the score beyond 100. Please help!!
Thank You.

Comments

• In my opinion, Case studies should be dealt before. and Time should be given proportionate to marks. Means Case studies in 80 minutes would be good.
    Btw I too score exactly same last year.
    What Mistake do you think, you had made last year?

I think, My answers in case studies were not too the point and targeted. Moreover as I had taken half the time in doing it, I rushed through section 1 questions. Even after exam, I felt I didn't do well but was expecting at least 90-100.
  • In my opinion, Case studies should be dealt before. and Time should be given proportionate to marks. Means Case studies in 80 minutes would be good.

I think, My answers in case studies were not too the point and targeted. Moreover as I had taken half the time in doing it, I rushed through section 1 questions. Even after exam, I felt I didn't do well but was expecting at least 90-100.

i attempted first the section 1 and then the case studies. So towards the end i rushed through two case studies so couldn't give concrete solutions and their explanations. This time i will first attempt case studies because i think there is more scope to score in case studies as compared to first section. Is giving 1.45 hr for case studies worth it???
  • 15 min for each case study should be right approach to manage time and quality. As one can not neglect 14 theory questions.
  • BOT said:

In my opinion, Case studies should be dealt before. and Time should be given proportionate to marks. Means Case studies in 80 minutes would be good.

i attempted first the section 1 and then the case studies. So towards the end i rushed through two case studies so couldn't give concrete solutions and their explanations. This time i will first attempt case studies because i think there is more scope to score in case studies as compared to first section. Is giving 1.45 hr for case studies worth it???
    yes,,, i did the same mistake last time... this yr i will also attempt case studies first
  • substantial time shud be given to case studies in my opinion.they shud be attempted first and they have high ROI compared to open ended vague questions in first half.for the first half questions wether i write in one hour or two hours my answers will remain same vague kinds.
    HAVE U EVER COME ACROSS SOMEONE U SHOULD NOT HAVE FUCKED WITH?

YEAH,THATS ME.
  • kisi bhale insaan ke paas famous SC guidelines ya judgemments ki list hai? @Etat have u got.?..i saw ur compilations but its lacking in this respect...have u got any list?
    HAVE U EVER COME ACROSS SOMEONE U SHOULD NOT HAVE FUCKED WITH?

YEAH,THATS ME.
  • Attempting GS-4

Direct Questions:
    1. Shoot the definition or mentioned point directly in first intro/para.
    2. Analyse the given question by examples (examples from current affais or own). But mention only relevant examples.
    3. Conclude the answer (by adding terminology which in syllabus).

Case studies:
    1. Identify ethical concerns : Mention situation and terminology related to it. (Eg: Ethical Dilemma, empathy, humanity etc)
    2. Analyse from various perspectives and ways. (Various ways to do the work, who will suffer, what is right and wrong? etc.)
    3. DO NOT TAKE A SIDE in ETHICS PAPER. Just present best possible ways at the end.

Time division:
    14 Questions = 6 Cases + 8 Questions
    :: One and half Hour = Questions (8 Qs = 10 min each approx.)
    :: 1 hour = Cases (6 cases= 10min each approx.)
    Rest of time goes for reading questions (bcoz questions are Gigantic)
    Go for a sequence, 2 Qs, 2 cases, 2 Qs, 2 Cases, 2Qs, 2 Cases,2 Qs. It helps.
    Start with well known ones.
    Prepare Terminologies mentioned in syllabus.
    Attempt ALL Questions, ALL Questions are important, Do not Stay at single question forever.
    ALL D BEST.
  • @Aspirant99 total questions 19 . not 14.
  • ^^ Nope. Nobody contributed. Only 1-2 cases filled. No idea how to get a compiler.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • My humble suggestions based on scoring 110 last year without much knowledge of theory:

1. Do not follow a fixed structure taught by famous teachers in Delhi. Usually answers end up looking similar and papers lower in the stack might get penalised.

2. The case studies usually a dominant theme I feel. Like corruption in public service last year.
    So being prepared for few broad themes might help.

3. Try to write in a normal tone/style rather than an expert quoting many philosophers / models of ethics.

4. However if you manage to keep your simple with technicality smartly woven in, there cannot be anything better.

5. Many questions last years were very very basic and specific to you.
    Write these from the heart reflecting a balanced personality fit to be an IAS officer.

Again I might have been lucky and I do not claim to have deciphered what UPSC seeks.
  • Attempting GS-4

Direct Questions:
    1. Shoot the definition or mentioned point directly in first intro/para.
    2. Analyse the given question by examples (examples from current affais or own). But mention only relevant examples.
    3. Conclude the answer (by adding terminology which in syllabus).

Case studies:
    1. Identify ethical concerns : Mention situation and terminology related to it. (Eg: Ethical Dilemma, empathy, humanity etc)
    2. Analyse from various perspectives and ways. (Various ways to do the work, who will suffer, what is right and wrong? etc.)
    3. DO NOT TAKE A SIDE in ETHICS PAPER. Just present best possible ways at the end.

Time division:
    14 Questions = 6 Cases + 8 Questions
    :: One and half Hour = Questions (8 Qs = 10 min each approx.)
    :: 1 hour = Cases (6 cases= 10min each approx.)
    Rest of time goes for reading questions (bcoz questions are Gigantic)
    Go for a sequence, 2 Qs, 2 cases, 2 Qs, 2 Cases, 2Qs, 2 Cases,2 Qs. It helps.
    Start with well known ones.
    Prepare Terminologies mentioned in syllabus.
    Attempt ALL Questions, ALL Questions are important, Do not Stay at single question forever.
    ALL D BEST.

pel diya bhai . thanks

• Those who scored above 100 in ethics paper last year please tell what approach they followed esp. regarding case studies.
    Thanks in Advance
  • @Etat can you please suggest a short coincise source for moral thinkers part...so that we can just have an Idea....not in depth as we don't have time....was banking on mrunal...but it seems they are not going to complete it...thanks
  • @Etat can you please suggest a short coincise source for moral thinkers part...so that we can just have an Idea....not in depth as we don't have time....was banking on mrunal...but it seems they are not going to complete it...thanks

they have completed. go directly to youtube mrunal page. mrunal has not updated it on his website.
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • edited December 2015
    Sir @Subhash_Nagre has scored 147 in Ethics Paper 4. Can you share some tips Sir? :smile:
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Can some one pls tell what's the avg marks in ethics paper? I got al my GS marks in 70-80 range last year with 86 in ethics. Is it below avg? Nobody expects over 100 in other GS papers but for ethics a lot of people discuss marks > 100. Is that the avg?

Subbarao has 2 concise chapters. Reddy Ajmeera also has similar chapters. The latter is is better as it's case study oriented.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • edited December 2015
  • ‘…so long as there is a piece of bread in the home of the beggar, he will give half of it’- how important is the role played by spiritual knowledge in the quest of our advancement towards larger good of the society?
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • I have observed that sometimes there is a link( a theme) between questions that are in the paper. Can one refer to the answer already made to some other question in justifying his position? Thanks

~3 din!
    Mere gham pe hasne wale, tujhe konsi dua doon!
  • anyone with history optional here? need a help
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • anyone with history optional here? need a help

bolo ...pocho bhai kya problem hai

Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google