ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Is it high time that people are provided with proper training to have a holistic view of life

Recently 2010 DANIP officer posted as ACP in delhi committed suicide by his service revolver and his wife attempted suicide later by jumping off their 4th floor apartment in Noida leaving behind a little 18 month daughter. It is speculated that reason for such a drastic action was domestic feud. This leads us to ponder over the fact once again that a person who could have been an excellent resource to the country wasted his life and his potential in a rage of anger. Is a holistic outlook towards life including issues such as anger management, resilience and dealing with extreme pressure as well as meditation practices need to be introduced right from the school days ?

Comments

• "Recently 2010 DANIP officer posted as ACP in delhi committed suicide by his service revolver and his wife attempted suicide later by jumping off their 4th floor apartment in Noida leaving behind a little 18 month daughter. It is speculated that reason for such a drastic action was domestic feud. This leads us to ponder over the fact once again that a person who could have been an excellent resource to the country wasted his life and his potential in a rage of anger. Is a holistic outlook towards life including issues such as anger management, resilience and dealing with extreme pressure as well as meditation practices need to be introduced right from the school days ?"

Don't know about other things but this single reason was more than enough for not committing suicide.

Akal Mrityu Vo Mare Jo Karm Kare Chandaal Ka.......Kaal Uska Kya Kare Jo Bhakt Ho MAHAKAL Ka
  • Some people are just too self-obsessed to think about the futures of those who they leave behind. Sad to hear about the suicides, though.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • people don't seek out professional help. It is considered a sign of weakness to get help for emotional/ family troubles .
    I think this taboo needs to go and schools/colleges and society should promote the idea of seeking counselling instead of making it a taboo.
    A meditation class can be introduces but i doubt how well that would work considering the condition of our schools.Every person in the society has to contribute.
  • well,domestic feud or marital discord is a key factor which can make or mar one's life in a flash.
    it is a fact that many people both men and women take extreme steps due to problems in their married life.a few years back an MLA in jharkhand killed his wife kids and in laws due to same reason.
    i personally have seen people turning into demons solely due to a bad marriage.
    counselling mediation and yoga are some fringe things to help in this aspect.

but the most vital thing is the process of marriage itself.one must be very careful in choosing his life partner having laid down the pros and cons of the future to his partner very honestly.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • Recently 2010 DANIP officer posted as ACP in delhi committed suicide by his service revolver and his wife attempted suicide later by jumping off their 4th floor apartment in Noida leaving behind a little 18 month daughter. It is speculated that reason for such a drastic action was domestic feud. This leads us to ponder over the fact once again that a person who could have been an excellent resource to the country wasted his life and his potential in a rage of anger. Is a holistic outlook towards life including issues such as anger management, resilience and dealing with extreme pressure as well as meditation practices need to be introduced right from the school days ?

People have been committing suicides since the dawn of civilization. Nothing has helped it, nothing will. Some people are just, well, I'm sorry to put it this way but, fucked up.

If you really want to teach something in school, teach interpersonal skills. Teach how not to be judgemental, how to be objective and take people for who they are, teach how to appreciate stuff and ignore its flaws, teach how to constructively criticize, teach how not having an opinion on every damn thing is okay, teach how not to be loud to assert yourself, teach how to be empathetic and give space to people, and most importantly, teach kids how to be a good listener and not wait for your turn to speak.

I'm sure if you will inculcate these things in kids, suicides, murders, road rages, abusive marriages, discrimination and a lot of other negativity of our times will reduce a bit. Definitely.
  • Recently 2010 DANIP officer posted as ACP in delhi committed suicide by his service revolver and his wife attempted suicide later by jumping off their 4th floor apartment in Noida leaving behind a little 18 month daughter. It is speculated that reason for such a drastic action was domestic feud. This leads us to ponder over the fact once again that a person who could have been an excellent resource to the country wasted his life and his potential in a rage of anger. Is a holistic outlook towards life including issues such as anger management, resilience and dealing with extreme pressure as well as meditation practices need to be introduced right from the school days ?

People have been committing suicides since the dawn of civilization. Nothing has helped it, nothing will. Some people are just, well, I'm sorry to put it this way but, fucked up.

If you really want to teach something in school, teach interpersonal skills. Teach how not to be judgemental, how to be objective and take people for who they are, teach how to appreciate stuff and ignore its flaws, teach how to constructively criticize, teach how not having an opinion on every damn thing is okay, teach how not to be loud to assert yourself, teach how to be empathetic and give space to people, and most importantly, teach kids how to be a good listener and not wait for your turn to speak.

I'm sure if you will inculcate these things in kids, suicides, murders, road rages, abusive marriages, discrimination and a lot of other negativity of our times will reduce a bit. Definitely.
    ecosia.org
  • We don't really know what led to the suicide. There are usually multiple factors at play in cases such as these and things aren't as black and white as some people would make us believe.
    I would reserve my judgement before passing off sanctimonious remarks over someone's life about whom I had absolutely no idea before reading this thread.
    ".....Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
  • Ye Miya biwi ka jhagda hoga... Guess karna tough hai...kai baar koi ek sentimental hota hai.. Ladne ka habitual.. 10 min office se late ladai, breakfast ni banaya ladai, pocha lagane ke baad ganda kar diya toh ladai, birthday wish karna bhool gaye toh ladai...etc..
    India me marriage 80% empty shell mariagges hai... Khush na hote huye bhi sath rah rahe hai...

I'm not judging an individual but a group of individuals - those who commit suicides apparently for interpersonal reasons- when I say they are fucked up.

Kids should be taught not to be judgemental on a personal level. That is what leads to family feuds. He described it really well what being judgemental on a personal level means.
    coolbuddy said:

Ye Miya biwi ka jhagda hoga... Guess karna tough hai...kai baar koi ek sentimental hota hai.. Ladne ka habitual.. 10 min office se late ladai, breakfast ni banaya ladai, pocha lagane ke baad ganda kar diya toh ladai, birthday wish karna bhool gaye toh ladai...etc..
    India me marriage 80% empty shell mariagges hai... Khush na hote huye bhi sath rah rahe hai...

I'm not judging an individual but a group of individuals - those who commit suicides apparently for interpersonal reasons- when I say they are fucked up.

Kids should be taught not to be judgemental on a personal level. That is what leads to family feuds. He described it really well what being judgemental on a personal level means.
    coolbuddy said:

Ye Miya biwi ka jhagda hoga... Guess karna tough hai...kai baar koi ek sentimental hota hai.. Ladne ka habitual.. 10 min office se late ladai, breakfast ni banaya ladai, pocha lagane ke baad ganda kar diya toh ladai, birthday wish karna bhool gaye toh ladai...etc..

Alright
    ecosia.org
  • People assume that after cracking upsc all your struggles will go away.

Indians are naive!
  • A man went into a library and asked for a book on how to commit suicide. The librarian said: “Fuck off, you won’t bring it back.”
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
  • If you ever feel you have some mental problem.
    Don't get advice from people around you or become your own doctor.
    Mental problem is like any other medical condition. Get professional help,
    And in most cases few sessions with psychiatrist does wonders.

In our country visiting a psychiatrist is considered stigma.
    Kuch log paise bachate hai..
    In any case you loose peace of mind and precious time.
  • A man went into a library and asked for a book on how to commit suicide. The librarian said: “Fuck off, you won’t bring it back.”

Hilarious. Quality black humor. :joy: :joy:
  • Suicide of Mumbai IPS officer Himanshu Roy by service revolver.
  • 1. Legalise Euthanasia. Death With Dignity should be everyone's right. The biggest right that an adult person got is over his own body. He must be allowed to do whatever he wants to do with his body, with dignity, without harming others. Death must stopped be seen as something bad. Not good either. But neutral. Ofcourse, self preservation is an instinct that we must possess. And not to harm others.

This is not the way a person should have died. That's inhuman. A person must be surrounded by his family and friends, holding their hands, before he bids the final adieu.

2. Treat depression better. More research needs to be done. And stop not until we find a cure.

3. Likewise, for Cancer. It's time we got rid of this Emperor of all Maladies.
    ecosia.org
  • 1. Legalise Euthanasia. Death With Dignity should be everyone's right. The biggest right that an adult person got is over his own body. He must be allowed to do whatever he wants to do with his body, with dignity, without harming others. Death must stopped be seen as something bad. Not good either. But neutral. Ofcourse, self preservation is an instinct that we must possess. And not to harm others.

This is not the way a person should have died. That's inhuman. A person must be surrounded by his family and friends, holding their hands, before he bids the final adieu.

2. Treat depression better. More research needs to be done. And stop not until we find a cure.

To add to the euthanasia point, it must be ensured that the decision is made rationally and is not forced or impulsive. Not every adult is capable of making rational decisions :)
    Recently there was news about Australian scientist David Goodall travelling to Switzerland for assisted death. His wish was granted because he was very old and had been demanding death for a long period now. He also said his quality of life has declined substantially. At the age of 104, this sounds acceptable. But imagine if adults <50 years of age, going through quarter-life or mid-life crisis start demanding the same.
    So, I believe euthanasia should be legalized only for terminally ill and very old people.
  • Bronn said:

1. Legalise Euthanasia. Death With Dignity should be everyone's right. The biggest right that an adult person got is over his own body. He must be allowed to do whatever he wants to do with his body, with dignity, without harming others. Death must stopped be seen as something bad. Not good either. But neutral. Ofcourse, self preservation is an instinct that we must possess. And not to harm others.

To add to the euthanasia point, it must be ensured that the decision is made rationally and is not forced or impulsive. Not every adult is capable of making rational decisions :)
    Recently there was news about Australian scientist David Goodall travelling to Switzerland for assisted death. His wish was granted because he was very old and had been demanding death for a long period now. He also said his quality of life has declined substantially. At the age of 104, this sounds acceptable. But imagine if adults <50 years of age, going through quarter-life or mid-life crisis start demanding the same.
    So, I believe euthanasia should be legalized only for terminally ill and very old people. </p>
    https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/viewpoints-should-euthanasia-be-available-for-people-with-existential-suffering-20170706-gx5sde.html My views are radical.
    ecosia.org
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog