MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Failure in Prelims- Should I give PG exam??

Hey frnds ..
This was my second attempt and I didn,t qualify this time. Now I am confused as what to do next.
Should I continue with UPSC or give medical PG exams...
help guys...

Comments

• with an uncertain exam and opaque nature; it is always better to have a fall back.. rest you can decide for yourself. crux explained in the simplest way
  • Have pg xam in a month.. 2 saal s kuch na pdha.. :(( :((
  • Have pg xam in a month.. 2 saal s kuch na pdha.. :(( :((
    if u have studied for civil services, all the other exams are easier... its the mother of all exams
  • edited October 2015
    Have pg xam in a month.. 2 saal s kuch na pdha.. :(( :((
    if u have studied for civil services, all the other exams are easier... its the mother of all exams
    Thnx bro.. M starting to prepare frm today ...
    :)>-
  • you must have a back up plan so that you can protect your future. and keep going with upsc but with care because with every attempt you are losing some months or years of your life.

take care.
  • Bhai to be frank IAS to agle saal dena hai ab aapko, tab tak PG ka xm hi de do. If you have seriously prepared for IAS, as rightly pointed by frnd its mother of all xms, so you will do well in a month also for PG xms. All d best
  • Ias may be mother of all exam...but dear medical pg is not less than father of exam in term of study(above persons may not aware about it)...medical pg study is different from ias .....think about future course of ur life and choose only one....in a month it is a nearly impossible task to fight pg...don't demoralised.....after choosing for one....start preparation for next year...nothing impossible..good luck
  • Please, please, please put your heart and soul into your pg exam. IAS is a huge gamble. If you think you are not ready for your pg exam, find another backup. Run a weekend medical camp at the nearest slum, if nothing else. Or volunteer with some ngo. Do something. It will give you a sense of purpose, some valuable experience and satisfaction. Study for the next attempt at the same time. Yes it will be hard, but I guarantee you will put in more effort in that 2 hours that you scrape after or before your work than in the 7 hours you sit before a desk dreaming of the lal batti. Begin now, please. All the best for everything. God bless
  • edited October 2015
    Ias may be mother of all exam...but dear medical pg is not less than father of exam in term of study(above persons may not aware about it)...medical pg study is different from ias .....think about future course of ur life and choose only one....in a month it is a nearly impossible task to fight pg...don't demoralised.....after choosing for one....start preparation for next year...nothing impossible..good luck
    +1 True there. PG exam is no joke.

@Albus, see your preparedness but as suggested above, continue with your UPSC march with optionals which I believe would be MS. This way MS syllabus of UPSC would be done along with PT preparations by next year. Also, you'd be ready with the next cycle of the PG entrance around this time by next year. ATB.
    I'm the Hulk
  • Ias may be mother of all exam...but dear medical pg is not less than father of exam in term of study(above persons may not aware about it)...medical pg study is different from ias .....think about future course of ur life and choose only one....in a month it is a nearly impossible task to fight pg...don't demoralised.....after choosing for one....start preparation for next year...nothing impossible..good luck
    U r right bhai ... Tabhi to confusion h... My frnds are still struggling to get into pg n even some of my seniors too .. .. Haven't studied nything from past 2 yrs.. Have decised to change my optional now .. Going for medical science .. What is ur optionl ??

• You must prepare with a positive attitude that “I’ll study hard and I’ll get selected”. But at the same time, you should also be prepared for the worst case scenario.

The reasons are following:
    Pass or fail, UPSC takes away one year of life. Then you’d think “since I’ve invested so much time, energy and money, let me given another attempt.” For a serious player, this cycle keeps repeating until he gets selected or he is out of the game because of age/attempt limit.

Give positive attitude in yourself and go for a try for prelims again. For better guidance you can join institute also , which provide better course for mains, prelims, interviews; where you can get corresponding course books, guidance , knowledge; Which can help IAS Aspirants in fulfilling their dreams. There are many institute providing the same such as:-
    1- Chanakya IAS Academy
    2- Rau’s IAS
    3- Vajiram & Ravi
  • You must prepare with a positive attitude that “I’ll study hard and I’ll get selected”. But at the same time, you should also be prepared for the worst case scenario.

The reasons are following:
    Pass or fail, UPSC takes away one year of life. Then you’d think “since I’ve invested so much time, energy and money, let me given another attempt.” For a serious player, this cycle keeps repeating until he gets selected or he is out of the game because of age/attempt limit.

Give positive attitude in yourself and go for a try for prelims again. For better guidance you can join institute also , which provide better course for mains, prelims, interviews; where you can get corresponding course books, guidance , knowledge; Which can help IAS Aspirants in fulfilling their dreams. There are many institute providing the same such as:-
    1- Chanakya IAS Academy
    2- Rau’s IAS
    3- Vajiram & Ravi
    Sorry for Chanakya & Rau`s , simple waste of time & money both. It,s a suggestion , I am not saying even Vajiram &Ravi is good.
    ;))
  • Me too on the same page as you are ..failed 2 nd time in upsc pre consecutively ,now 28 year old ..had joined in max as emo and started studying for pgmee ,only to realize its no less than cse and highly competitive ..so left job now will be working towards pgmee for next year ..i also realized that you can choose only one out of the two ,otherwise the focus would keep swivelling across..its difficult to start pgmee preparation especially after a gap of few years that went into upsc preparation ..
  • @johnnyblaze786

I don't think so. :| In fact, when you get bored of the same old jargon, there is nothing better, as least for me, to watch a Mrunal video or read history texts. I also thought, focus nai hoga, distraction hoga, par I managed to prepare much better without getting bored.
    It is very much manageable, try kar ke dekh sakte ho for sometime.
  • I am not sure PG is any easier than Civils. Not clearing Prelims is just a sign of lack of guidance TBH , given that you are willing to slog for PG.

Way back in 2011 @ valkyrie724 after not getting Interview call decided to study for PG from zero.

Within 2 months he was convinced that UPSC would the , maybe less predictable, but easier nut to crack. :)

Choose wisely.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Me too on the same page as you are ..failed 2 nd time in upsc pre consecutively ,now 28 year old ..had joined in max as emo and started studying for pgmee ,only to realize its no less than cse and highly competitive ..so left job now will be working towards pgmee for next year ..i also realized that you can choose only one out of the two ,otherwise the focus would keep swivelling across..its difficult to start pgmee preparation especially after a gap of few years that went into upsc preparation ..
    . You r right ... Both needs to be prepared separately... Had joined a hospital for few days.. After 2 days had to quit.. Felt like I don't belong to that place

• I am not sure PG is any easier than Civils. Not clearing Prelims is just a sign of lack of guidance TBH , given that you are willing to slog for PG.

Way back in 2011 @ valkyrie724 after not getting Interview call decided to study for PG from zero.

Within 2 months he was convinced that UPSC would the , maybe less predictable, but easier nut to crack. :)

Choose wisely.
    . Within 5 minutes,standing outside the operation theatre I decided to restart my preparations for UPSC. Ya u r right .. I lack guidance .. I study a lot but I don't know what exactly is to be studied..

• doctor log one question ,is generic medicine as good as branded ones.there are laws regarding this but what does your experience say.
  • @Albus so now after becoming a doctor you dont want to work in a hospital.you wasted a medical seat which someone could have got.
  • @Albus so now after becoming a doctor you dont want to work in a hospital.you wasted a medical seat which someone could have got.
    Wow! Why blame doctors. We all have wasted one seat - be that a medical seat or an engineering or even by pursuing a graduation in any field.
    . I haven't wasted any seat .. I will always be a doctor first.. that's what I am...
    As far as medical system is concerned, its facing many problems which u r ignorant of. First of all these problems are to be dealt.. So I will rest this case for now..
  • you did not get it.an engineer will like to work as an engineer after he does not clear upsc while you will not like to work as doctor after you give up upsc.
  • you did not get it.an engineer will like to work as an engineer after he does not clear upsc while you will not like to work as doctor after you give up upsc.
    . Well what else do u expect me to do... ?

• u should give the exam....exam dene mein kya jaata h, tukke maar ana. i hear hot girls come for medical exams :P
    Dr saab ko to kaam mil jayega....where do engineers get jobs these days??
    Wasting good medical seats is a part of the thrill of leaving medicine. The schadenfreude is unparalleled. ;)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • I missed a good seat in state pg last year. I'm going to take it next year (hopefully) irrespective of upsc results. Of course, final selection is the only way that I'll skip pg next year. That doesn't seem very likely

Final listing:Mains appearance ratio is about 500:7500 (1:15 = 6.7%)

For PG, the ratio for a good seat is (all India) about 2000:80000 = 2.5%

The odds are comparably worse for PG, though
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • @Albus Being a medical student can relate to your predicament, most of your friends/GF already into PG courses or prep. for one. You got to decide dispassionsately , UPSC requires diverse preparation mode unpredictable at times,dicey in nature while PG entrance simple but mandates unifocus devotion of other kind.
    Its tempting to think to continue civil prep. after undergoing PG training but takes to much of your time & energy.
    You need to choose one, have faith & dont look back.
    Decide wisely.
  • Are there any social science courses available for engineering/medical students in Delhi...JNU courses or something like that?
  • mevhravi said:

@Albus so now after becoming a doctor you dont want to work in a hospital.you wasted a medical seat which someone could have got.

i am a doctor & i want to leave my field as soon as possible. There is no.mental peace in this field.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog