ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Geography optional Mains 2015 Daily Map Marking

Guys we can daily post 5 places and write their description here and mark them on the Indian Map
20 marks in the subject are crucial........
1.Chandel
2.Udhampur
3.River Vamsadhara
4.Mehsana
5.Vembanad lake

Comments

1.Chandel; town is the administrative headquarters of the district. Moreh town, an important trade centre between Manipur and Myanmar is located at the southernmost part of this district.Chakpikarong town is important where the river Chakpi runs in the middle of the town and a business centre in the district, mainly comprises Anal Tribe.
    2.Udhampur:The district of Udhampur is located in the shiwalik range of Himalayas and the terrain is mostly mountainous. The upper reaches of the district experience snowfall in the winter season. The city of Udhampur is located at 32.93°N 75.13°E[2] in a relatively flatter part of the district at an elevation of 756 metres (2480 feet) and rarely experience any snowfall.The city itself spreads on uneven hills of Shiwaliks.Udhampur is just 68 km ahead of Jammu city towards Srinagar.Katra too is only 23 km off Udhampur.
    3. River Vamsadhara:is an important east flowing river between Mahanadi and Godavari, in Southern Odisha and North Eastern Andhra Pradesh states in India.
    The river originates in the border of Thuamul Rampur in the Kalahandi district and Kalyansinghpur in Rayagada district of Odisha and runs for a distance of about 254 kilometers, where it joins the Bay of Bengal at Kalingapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The total catchement area of the river basin is about 10,830 square kilometers.
    Tourist attractions of Mukhalingam and Kalingapatnam in Srikakulam district are located on the banks of this river.
    4.Mehsana is one of the 33 districts of Gujarat state in western India. Mehsana city is the administrative headquarters of this district. The district has a population of over 18 lakhs and an area of over 4,500 km². There are over 600 villages in this district. It had a population of 1,837,892 of which 22.40% were urban as of 2001.[1]
    Mehsana district borders with Banaskantha district in the north, Patan and Surendranagar districts in west, Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad districts in south and Sabarkantha district in the east.
    5.Vembanad lake;is the longest lake in India,[1] and the largest lake in the state of Kerala. It is also counted as one of the largest lakes in India. Spanning several districts in the state of Kerala, it is known as Punnamada Lake in Kuttanad, Kochi Lake in Kochi. Several groups of small islands including Vypin, Mulavukad, Vallarpadam, Willingdon Island are located in the Kochi Lake portion. Kochi Port is built around the Willingdon Island, and the Vallarpadam island.
  • nice initiative..i too will join
  • Keep this up guys .
    Also put some world entries also. :)>-
    It is not the eyes that are blind but the heart
  • @prasad kumar

how are u filling the map ?? :)
  • @prasad kumar

+1

Yes, do let us know how you come up with the e-map entries. Btw, great initiative. :)>-
  • @prasad kumar

+1

Yes, do let us know how you come up with the e-map entries. Btw, great initiative. :)>-
    Got it,

First save the map in word format , after that use write in text box option .

Easy baby , :D ;))
  • 1.Dimbhe Dam
    Gravity dam built on Ghod river near Pune. Used mainly for irrigation purposes.

2.Hogenakkal Falls
    It's on Kaveri river in Tamil Nadu. Also known as Niagara falls of India, is a major tourist attraction centre and famed for medicinal baths.

3.Achankovil river/falls
    It's a small river in Kerala. Located nearby is the Achankovil Shashtha temple, a major pilgrimage centre.

4.Wokha
    Administrative headquarter of the Wokha district in Nagaland. It is the land of the Lotha Naga tribesmen.

5.Larji Dam
    Located over river Beas in HP. The sudden release of the water from the dam caused deaths of a few engineering students in 2014

6.Mouda super thermal power project
    Coal based power plant near Nagpur, MH.

7.Sandu Bet Island
    Statue of Unity is located hear facing Narmada Dam near Vadodarararar.

8.Carambolim Lake
    Man-made freshwater lake meant for irrigation in Goa. Also an excelling birding place.

9.Indrayani River
    Flows from the Sahyadris, near Lonavala, of late it has grabbed limelight for pollution issues.

10.Chintamoni Kar Wildlife Sanctuary
    WS near Kolkata, known for varied species of butterflies and birds.

• @prasad kumar

i have saved the image of a blank India map and opening it with paint and marking the locations and text and then uploading it....
  • @prasad kumar

i have saved the image of a blank India map and opening it with paint and marking the locations and text and then uploading it....
    you can just undo the actions on the same file and mark again :)

• Got it,

First save the map in word format , after that use write in text box option .

Easy baby , :D ;))

>:P
  • Yar how do u guys remember all these...I only knew 4-5 places among the asked ones.. :-SS
  • guys, i am using google,wikipedia atlas for marking some places so dont get depressed!!
    the initiative is just to build a question bank
  • write up ?? Thanks. G
    bhai for write up plz refer wikipedia....i can post for 5 places...but 10 becomes too much... sorry
  • Great initiative brother :)
    " The more you sweat in peace , the less you bleed in war."
  • Isi liye request kar rha hun dhana dhan map marking mat karo. Din k 15-20 kaafi hain.
    yes!! din ke 15 kaafi hai....5 from 3 guys per day........so that we can internalise the location as well as writeup
  • ^Yes. Put a break for today. We will tackle few more places tomorrow and likewise, day after tomorrow and so on. This way, learning can be fun and rewarding too.
  • I have an idea here. Instead of going Vaguely , why don't we go systematically .I mean lets take all Dams first , then take all Rivers and move this way.We will be able to grasp more by this way .Its upto you guys . :)
  • how can i subscribe to this discussion guys?
    Just jump on the bandwagon buddy . :P
  • I have an idea here. Instead of going Vaguely , why don't we go systematically .I mean lets take all Dams first , then take all Rivers and move this way.We will be able to grasp more by this way .Its upto you guys . :)
    going category wise would turn it into an academic exercise ,and those locations are most probably covered in the map marking material available in the market
    so we can instead focus on the upsc model(by referring previous optional papers) and give 5 places....but then again, if you guys insist, one of you can post category wise 5 locations everyday...

by subscription you mean ,you want to get notifications if anything happens on this topic?
    I'm afraid that facility ain't available here.
  • Asola bhatti wild life sanctuary
    Location :northermost point of aravallis(Proterozoic orogeny), National capital region ,Haryana
    flora:arid forests
    fauna:blackbuck, rhesus macaque
    climate:humid subtropical koppen Cwa
    resource;Biodiversity and mining
    protected area.
    Mithivirdi
    Economy :Upcoming nuclear plant Indo:US collaboration
    climate: semi arid
    earthquake prone seismic zone 3
  • nice initiative people....great wrk prasad
    will join soon....
  • jessore ws;The sanctuary is located in the Jessore hills of Aravalli hills, to the north of the Thar desert. It was declared a sanctuary covering an area of 180.66 square kilometres (69.75 sq mi) in 1978.[7][8] The sanctuary area lies between the desert ecosystem and the dry deciduous type of ecosystem, and the forested area helps in arresting desertification and advancement of Thar desert.
    The nearest airport is Ahmedabad is 190 kilometres (120 mi) away. Nearest Railway station is at Palanpur, 45 kilometres (28 mi) away and Iqbalgarh village is at 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) distance.[citation needed] The Sanctuary also houses two temples (one of them is the Kedarnath Mahadev temple), which are frequented by a large number of pilgrims during October–November, and a protected sacred grove.
    shanan powerhouse;Shanan Power House (commissioned in 1932 [1]) was the first hydro-electric power station of India in Megawatt capacity. British Engineer Colonel B.C. Batty and his team in collaboration with the then ruler of Joginder Nagar region, Raja Karan Sen, designed and created it. It is situated at a distance of 2 km from the main city. The Shanan Power house is currently under the control of Punjab State Electricity Board and whole of the revenue goes to Punjab government.British Engineer Colonel B.C. Batty wanted to construct 5 hydro-electric power stations by utilizing the water of Uhl river.
  • Saturday masala
    1. Golden quadrilateral
    2. Havelock Island
    3.Amaravathi
    4.Theni
    5.Namdapha National Park
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog