We are hiring!

How to cool overheating laptops?

edited April 2013 in Tools & Technology
I know this is not very directly related to the preps (you may stop reading from now on if you are extra wary) but still many of us face this difficulty. I have this 2007 model Dell Inspiron 1420 and it has started overheating and getting shut-down automatically. My technical support warranty with Dell has expired and I live in a small town presently so i dont trust mechanics/engineers (whatever you may want to call) here either. Last year when i was in delhi i got it repaired for thousand bucks (he just removed dust i believe) but it has again started creating problems within 6 months. The solutions I found on net are

1. Open the back case of thermal cooling system and blow off the dust yourself. (but the problem is I dont know what size of philips screwdriver it will need. I tried opening with 'desi tester' but to no avail)
+
2. Buy a laptop cooling pad/system which comes for around 500. (But most of them cool centre of the laptop..while dell inspiron gets heated sidewise. Can you suggest any relevant one) I would recommend you to buy one also if you face the same problem.

If you have had any experience and then remedy regarding this problem. I would be grateful, if you can suggest any solution in this regard particularly to the problems as mentioned in brackets - screwdriver size, cooling pad.

Also, Dont scold me for non-IASprep question. I warned earlier itself.
and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"

Comments

• 1. remove the dust.
    2. Buy a laptop cooler (around Rs 1000/-).
    3. Uninstall unnecessary softwares.
  • @AK_CS

As someone said here, and @robinolds bhai would relate to it :-

And that means, overheated laptops. For those who are moving to Delhi, that would mean, needing an AC.

How do we deal with it?

First, dont use it on soft surface like your lap (Never!) or on the bed. Get something hard surface to keep it on. Like a cardboard or use books.

Make sure, that the cooling vents are unblocked. That is, it is not covered with your skin, or bed sheet

Then, uninstall unnecessary software (Yes, that will help)

Last but not the least, do not open more than 7 tabs in your browser. Have the habit of shutting down your computer at least once a day. You may use a tab limiter plugin for Firefox or Chrome.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Dell Inspiron gets heated sidewise, because that is where the air vent is. the heating happens the center only, the air blows outwards, so you feel heating happens at the sideways. That is not the case.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited April 2013
    Take a look at this cooler. See others also on Flipkart. Get a cheap one if you can find one at your local store. However, I would suggest getting a good quality one, as you will need it for a long time. Even if you switch laptops, yes.
  • @Neyawn: bhai! Thank you so much >:D< ...your visual way of conveying things is awesome indeed...keep it up
    will keep these things in mind for sure especially the tab-limiting

(PS: the link to flipkart website (cooler one) doesn't work..i am using chrome now....just saw other links(including flipkart ones) on other threads they work )
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • @Neyawn: thanks! it works now.
  • 1. remove the dust.
    2. Buy a laptop cooler (around Rs 1000/-).
    3. Uninstall unnecessary softwares.
    @Nivir: bhai! plzzz elaborate a bit removing the dust part. how can i do this? i am not able to open it as 1) screws are very small. even smallest 'desi tester' wont do. have you ever tried this? what thing did you use, size etc.
    2)they seem rusted too.
  • @AK_CS Go to any computer shop and get a 65+ screw driver set from China. Will open all nuts and bolts of your body , leave alone the laptop.

I am talking about this
  • edited April 2013
    @AK_CS Go to any computer shop and get a 65+ screw driver set from China. Will open all nuts and bolts of your body , leave alone the laptop.

I am talking about this
    haha! bhai badiya jugaaaad dikhta hai.:) aam ke aam guthliyon ke daam...ek teer se do shikar...thanks any way

ye china wale bhaion/laundon ko bhi thanks dena hoga...inhone har cheez ka workable model nikala hai.......maal salaaam!
  • smoke and animal hairs are two most important culprits.
    so in case you do smoke, don't smoke or bring pets in the room you operate your laptop.
    Valar Morghulis
  • edited April 2013
    When you have a hammer, everything resembles a nail.
  • @GambiTTT Looks neat to me with good reviews. Thinking of getting one myself before summer comes :-)
  • smoke and animal hairs are two most important culprits.
    so in case you do smoke, don't smoke or bring pets in the room you operate your laptop.
    i dont smoke but in hairs we human adults especially males are/i am no less than animals with fine and lightweight quality hairs :P in hostel when i used to sweep my room on my own(monthly :D) i always found large bunches of aggregated hair + some very fine cotton-like pink aggregate strands..always wondered where the second component came from......so this hazard will always be there
  • I ordered this one,

http://www.flipkart.com/deepcool-multi-core-x4/p/itmdenzgvgguk2rg?pid=ACCDENYFH7HQHSYH
    @GambiTT as you have shared the link i assume you agree wid the reviews. you may plz share your experiences. You may not if you just ordered and havent got :)

@all: thanks for giving such an awesome response

• I ordered this one,

http://www.flipkart.com/deepcool-multi-core-x4/p/itmdenzgvgguk2rg?pid=ACCDENYFH7HQHSYH
    @GambiTT as you have shared the link i assume you agree wid the reviews. you may plz share your experiences. You may not if you just ordered and havent got :)

@all: thanks for giving such an awesome response

Havent received it yet, will come most probably by tomorrow. I bought this one as my fan is the top left corner of the bottom( Dell xps). And hopefully, this has a fan right there. Heating is also a bit uneven in my laptop, with the left side( Chip+ HD) getting more hot than the right. Will tell you how it works.
    When you have a hammer, everything resembles a nail.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly