Vice-Admiral Verma moves Tribunal Judges’ panel to hear charges against CJI India may send NIA team to assist in probe India may stop oil imports from Iran Price controls hurting FDI in medical devices sector
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

IBPS PO bank preference order?

Hello fellow aspirants :)
I was filling IBPS PO for the first time and came to know that we need to fill bank preference order. I have no idea about banking sector, salary structures, working environment etc. So please can someone suggest a good preference order? I do not want to continue in banking, just a backup option till the time I clear CSE or SSC exams.
Please suggest preference order considering number of working days in a week, close to my home city Ludhiana or metro cities only, less work pressure, no 'targets' if possible, and more salary ;)
Looking forward to some nice suggestion.
Thank you :)

Comments

• Ecgc and exim will give u metro but not home posting.bmb will also give metro posting.idbi give u more salary around 38k with semi urban posting but has high work pressure.baki sare ek jaise hai.work pressure would depend on location,bm and other factors.salary is around 35k gross and 31-32 k in hand.
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
  • Get busy living
    or
    Get busy dying

• Bmb no work load at all , I personally visited bank.. And it is also last to give appointment order.. Your score should be 57+ , since it is most people first choice
  • Which is better ECGC or EXIM?
    @hummingbird ECGC and EXIM have branch in my city Ludhiana too, so can I get posted in my city?
    I just don't want to go to rural areas so my preference should be like ECGC>EXIM>BMB>IDBI> others....is that right?
    @devy22 I don't think BMB would be most people's first choice. Either it would be ECGC/EXIM or PNB/BOB/OBC/Canara etc.
  • Which is better ECGC or EXIM?
    @hummingbird ECGC and EXIM have branch in my city Ludhiana too, so can I get posted in my city?
    I just don't want to go to rural areas so my preference should be like ECGC>EXIM>BMB>IDBI> others....is that right?
    @devy22 I don't think BMB would be most people's first choice. Either it would be ECGC/EXIM or PNB/BOB/OBC/Canara etc.
    getting home posting is very very difficult as most of new recruits a have heard get posted in mumbai.May punjab and wind or pnb would be able to provide u with home posting
  • Is bmb getting merged with SBI? Any idea guys.
  • bhau,i work in a bank.let me tell you,you have no choice as to work in a rural place or not.afaik,ecgc has about only 18 seats every year,so very less chances about getting it.then,when you have those psb's it's a grand welcome to slog in hell.you have the massive workload,unreasonable demands of the customers,your weirdo bosses,great hr's(guys,who have no clue what human mgmt is all about)and on top of that-targets,yes targets!!!don't see that i have put a pessimistic view on the topic,in fact i have placed the facts.you could take a punt on selecting banks like vijaya,syndicate hoping they give you posting in the north where there's slight less workload or a north indian bank like p&s bank or uco(although belongs to the east) in south or dena(anywhere,except mumbai).this is just playing blind but who knows!the one positive thing you have with the banks from the cse perspective is you would get a stranglehold of all the 'old wine in new bottle' yojanas that can help you massively in the essays or some gs answers out of the 4 papers(atleast 1 q would be a guarantee,wouldn't it).so cheers!!!!!!

• My present state mumbai,homestate rajasthan(ready to join in both states)

Bank is for only backup main target upsc

Less workload

What should be my prefernce?
  • Dont give pnb bob canara boi and ubi as top pref if banking is not your ultimate aim.
  • And even after that all banks have bonds ... Bank of baroda used to have bondless service but now it is also asking for 3 lakh bond + 3 year service agreement ... I called them for extension on medical ground, they told me to come to their doctor.. I told them, Ok then I m not interested to serve your bank... then they are calling me everyday and now ready to give extension only if i sign the bond... Banks are struggling heavily to retain their officers' staff but every year many new recruited are leaving the job so they are depending heavily on bond but don't want to change their work culture ....
  • Bank ko kuch jayda hi kaam karate hai kya?
    Even in psbs bob,boi etc @-)
  • Idbi has no bond amount and bond amount of canara is 25000 rs.so if bond is problem then u can put these two organization as ur top preferences.
  • Don't think abt any bank, IDBI is worse high work pressure, targets, sales job etc. If u want back up then try for AO job in insurance companies
  • Ecgc , idbi is for who is thinking of settling down .. But it to want to prepareprepare for Upsc bmb should be your choice ..
    @sherdil I might be wrong about people's choices but not wrong about this :-)
  • From po of various banks i have interacted dena corporation bmb always safe. Bond amount canara 25000 boi 20000. But both these will suck your blood like leeches. Pnb main if you are a boy and from north and do not feature in top 300 of bank merit list then youll get posted at such a place where electricity will become a luxurious thing forget broadband and all. And BOB do not have any bond this year too. And no bank will call you for joining if you do not report at the required date mentioned on your AL.
  • ^^^ I myself selected in BOB and they send me a bond.. Even they authorized a notary at training centre to complete the bond ... And regarding joining they called me thrice on joining date and even after that they sent 5 trail mails regarding joining ...
  • ^^^ I myself selected in BOB and they send me a bond.. Even they authorized a notary at training centre to complete the bond ... And regarding joining they called me thrice on joining date and even after that they sent 5 trail mails regarding joining ...
    I got selected in idbi and sbt no one called me even once nor did bothered to report for training
  • ^^^ same for me for SBH ... but BOB bothered, i don't know why ...
  • bob started bond from this year,bansidhar, that too for an amount of 3lakhs plus 3 yr service.m an ex barodian(jus resigned this may)and now in boi.also boi's amt is 2lakh and not 20k as mentioned here.so @abhishek gupta is absolutely right...
  • and seriously you don't want to work in canara mate!!jus try ao's in insurance.that's pretty good with a good pay but competition is damn tough.upsc candidates are everywhere in competitive exam arena.so cut-throat race is all you find.choice is yours.prioritize based on your goals and FINANCIAL EXIGENCIES.my highlighting would have explained it all.sorry,for using caps but bhavnaon ko samzho.again not demotivating you but only join if you have no other alternative.
  • @bansidhar but why? so what should be my preference order like if ultimate aim is upsc? I should have applied for rural banks?
  • Sry i was not upadated with recent bond amounts banks. Yes BOB is now 3 lakh for 3 yr. Previously no bond.
    Corporation 1 lakh for 2 yr. Earlier 50k
    Canara not yet confirmed since none from PO 4 have been called yet. But they are saying bond amount will be more than last yr which is 25k
  • Are you all also applying for IBPS?
    Did you apply for RRBs? (I didn't)
    After going through your comments, I feel this is how my preference should be:
    1&2) EXIM > ECGC (metro posting, 5 days working and I feel pressure might be less)
    3) BMB (suggested by few here, nobody said anything bad about this so far, I wonder if it has bond?)
    4) OBC (nobody said anything (bad) about this so far, is their a bond?)
    5) Corporation bank (suggested by bansidhar as safe, bond only 1 lakh-2 years)
    6&7) Vijaya & Syndicate (punterdgr8 suggested less work load and north posting really?, what do you guys say about this?)
    8) PNB (nobody said anything good about this, but it is the second largest bank, I wonder if its a good idea to put it so low in preference)
    9) BOB (bond amount high but every website is giving BOB & PNB as top preferences or immediately after EXIM&ECGC as top preferences)
    10) Canara?
    11) P&S (possibility of north posting)
    12) Dena (I feel it is unlikely to give me north posting)
    13) UCO? (south posting?)
    14) UBI?
    15) CBI?
    where should I put IDBI? it will have high work load just as PNB & BOB but will give urban-semi urban posting and high salary.

@hummingbird @devy22 @punterdgr8 @bansidhar @rahulgaur666 @Rail_life
    Guys please suggest any changes I should make. I want less work pressure so I can prepare for upsc and posting in Northern metros or metros.
  • I don't have any financial emergencies I just want to be by myself in a metro city so I can live life the way I want without my parents commenting on every tiny little thing I do....it really irritates me. I know bank jobs are very hectic, if we do any errors we have to pay for our pocket so this job demands full concentration for long working hours and targets.... I knew many guys quit this job after few years... so I know for sure I don't want this job. What I want right now is a descent paying job which can get me out of my home to another metro city, best if its Delhi.
  • @sherdil every website put pnb and bob on top beacuse they are big banks and hence more growth oppurtunities. But thise websites dont take into considerations of aspirants of other exams while suggesting. Generally workload is immense in top 5 banks. In vijaya there is 99% of getting south posting if you are a boy. In dena 99% you wilp be posted in Gujarat if you are a boy. If you are a girl 99.99% you will get home state in banks.
    Some banks have bond period of 3 years. Mark those and keep those in bottom. Biggest advantage of corporation bank is that it has few branches in rural areas. But getting a north posting for a boy is almost nill.
  • Are you all also applying for IBPS?
    Did you apply for RRBs? (I didn't)
    After going through your comments, I feel this is how my preference should be:
    1&2) EXIM > ECGC (metro posting, 5 days working and I feel pressure might be less)
    3) BMB (suggested by few here, nobody said anything bad about this so far, I wonder if it has bond?)
    4) OBC (nobody said anything (bad) about this so far, is their a bond?)
    5) Corporation bank (suggested by bansidhar as safe, bond only 1 lakh-2 years)
    6&7) Vijaya & Syndicate (punterdgr8 suggested less work load and north posting really?, what do you guys say about this?)
    8) PNB (nobody said anything good about this, but it is the second largest bank, I wonder if its a good idea to put it so low in preference)
    9) BOB (bond amount high but every website is giving BOB & PNB as top preferences or immediately after EXIM&ECGC as top preferences)
    10) Canara?
    11) P&S (possibility of north posting)
    12) Dena (I feel it is unlikely to give me north posting)
    13) UCO? (south posting?)
    14) UBI?
    15) CBI?
    where should I put IDBI? it will have high work load just as PNB & BOB but will give urban-semi urban posting and high salary.

@hummingbird @devy22 @punterdgr8 @bansidhar @rahulgaur666 @Rail_life
    Guys please suggest any changes I should make. I want less work pressure so I can prepare for upsc and posting in Northern metros or metros.
    Ecgc should be placed above exim because of its high salary
  • @hummingbird somewhere on internet I read, a guy said ECGC is a second route to EXIM so I thought EXIM might be better and hence placed it on top :)

@bansidhar
    Top 5 banks jo maine apni list me rakhen hain vo ya jo websites pe hain?
    north posting for a boy is nill in corporation bank or in all banks?
    And how do you know this much for sure? 99% north metros ya koi bhi metro me posting vale btado kon kon se bank hain fir? :)
    And how do I find which banks other than BOB have bond for 3 years? Aur bond duration se kya fark parhta hai bond amount kam honi chahiye...kam hogi to paise deke nikal lenge ;)
  • I will be giving IBPS PO as well as IBPS clerk this year and I am confident of getting selection and know the fact that they accept or give joining by next year i.e. in 2016 april for PO and June for Clerk!

My question is that what if I get a joining and I want to appear for 2016 pre as well as mains and want a leave between pre and mains! Does a bank give such a leave to its probationer or a young recruit? If yes, then what are the norms and the procedure? Does it have to be any extension such as medical or can be for personal reasons? I specifically want between August 2016- Dec 2016!

Kindly answer this question of mine to the best of your knowledge! I would request working bankers who have had experiences and also other knowledgeable people to show me the way by offering their insights! Thanking in advance!
  • @Willcrackupsc in april 2016 result wipp be decalred. Joining process starts from mid april and will continue till feb- march 2017 depending on vacancies in a bank and your merit. People are called merit wise in phases . Like canara bank has not called any PO4 candidate till now. Corporation has called 90 out of 486. And in probation period such long leaves are not given. And no leaves are given during training period.
  • @sherdil top 5 bole to pnb bob boi canara union bank. And timings and work load varies from branch to branch. Like one of my friend selected in PO3 in dena pksted in jamanagar. He rarely have to stay after 6-6:30 in branch. And another friend posted in Bank of maharashtra. Posted in Karad never get to leave before 7:30-8.
    And one more thing salary is same in all psb. Allowances differ. Generally small banks give less allowances than bigger banks. But again corporation is exception here.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google