BBB tags 75 senior officers for leadership roles in PSBs SC to hear petition to end write-offs Chemists and druggists are passe;from now, all will be pharmacies As UK climate protest grows, Emma Thompson, teen joins in India warns IMF against fresh bailout for Pakistan

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Is it ethical to use them without paying for them?

edited July 2015 in Miscellaneous
Hello friends, my heart is questioning me on something i am unable to answer and consequently, i am finding myself in a state of severe helplessness. Suppose, i have downloaded some copyrighted materials from somewhere or got the same offered by someone for free, would i be ethically and morally corrupt in using them for the purpose of achieving my objective, which is, passing the exam? Am i correct in my thinking that since the materials are secured with copyright, i am expected to purchase/take them directly from the owner of the copyright lest i practice adharma in using them otherwise? Is my notion correct or is it my ego which is troubling me? Please help friends as I am mentally very much tired on pondering over it again and again.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Kripya itna senti na howein, if the copyright material is from a Coaching institute, go ahead. Those suckers anyway rip-off the aspirants. Doesn't matter if they are ripped off in this manner.

Aur kabhi internet se gaane ya kuch aur illegally download nahin kara aapne aaj tak?
  • I once read on a colleague's desk "Don't be too honest. Straight trees are cut first, and honest people are screwed first."
  • Yes, it is ethically wrong. No grey area. Clearly black area....
  • You surely will make a good IAS officer. (Y)
  • edited July 2015
    If you got copyright materials for free and using them for your own purpose then you are not any violating copyright law. If you sell it to someone else then it will be a copyright violation.
    Hello friends, my heart is questioning me on something i am unable to answer and consequently, i am finding myself in a state of severe helplessness. Suppose, i have downloaded some copyrighted materials from somewhere or got the same offered by someone for free, would i be ethically and morally corrupt in using them for the purpose of achieving my objective, which is, passing the exam? Am i correct in my thinking that since the materials are secured with copyright, i am expected to purchase/take them directly from the owner of the copyright lest i practice adharma in using them otherwise? Is my notion correct or is it my ego which is troubling me? Please help friends as I am mentally very much tired on pondering over it again and again.
    Though I decay into the fields in the midst of our revenge, I will be reborn seven times to seize my sword!
  • If you got copyright materials for free and using them for your own purpose then you are not any violating copyright law. If you sell it to someone else then it will be a copyright violation.
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

"10 Big Myths about copyright explained

2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."
    False. Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in court, but that's main difference under the law. It's still a violation if you give it away -- and there can still be serious damages if you hurt the commercial value of the property. ................."
  • edited July 2015
    If you got copyright materials for free and using them for your own purpose then you are not any violating copyright law. If you sell it to someone else then it will be a copyright violation.
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

"10 Big Myths about copyright explained

2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."
    False. Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in court, but that's main difference under the law. It's still a violation if you give it away -- and there can still be serious damages if you hurt the commercial value of the property. ................."
    There are ways. The exclusive rights under copyright act are not absolute in nature. Further,there is "fair dealing " clause mentioned in the Copyright Act. Further, often the coaching materials are not original works which themselves may have been copy pasted from other original sources. The degree of copyright protection,in case they have registered, would be low enough or none if have not registered.
    Though I decay into the fields in the midst of our revenge, I will be reborn seven times to seize my sword!
  • edited July 2015
    There are enough books and legal pdfs available online for you to do your prep ethically.

If you need to check out the index of a copyrighted book, use any online shopping website or Google books.

And, you can't study everything online. You need hard copies of books that you would obviously buy.

Coaching materials are overrated. Get over this 'coaching materialism.' Mostly these are newspapers clippings or copy-paste from legal pdfs like ncert / ignou / nios / government websites / reports / etc.

Most of the prep depends on current affairs. You can do it online for free legally. Make notes and you're all set.

If you don't like to do something, don't do it; save yourself the cognitive dissonance. Leaving a few sources is not going to kill you. If you don't have confidence in your note-making ability, pick any good coaching institute and enroll for classes. You'll get all the notes that you can digest.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • My friend law and ethics are two different things. Most of the law are framed in ethical scenario but that does not mean it will hold the ethical values in absolute form while framing/implementing. Also things vary from situation to situation and time to time.

So in your case you might be violating the law but still holding the ethics or values since you are not using for profit making. Also note in India such law are still in nascent stage and not being fully operational because of frequent violation by most of the people living in India (.... i hope you can come out with reasons for the same)

The key is - if your heart says what you are doing is wrong than you must not do it.
  • @Etat Couldn't agree more! If one's conscience is not allowing something, why should one seek others' approval?
    I'm perfectly imperfect
  • @Game_Changer, @Mahinder Meena

Exactly.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • azeeb azeeb log upsc ki prep karte hain re bhaya...
  • even after having strongest of intoxicants i never had such questions
    i sincerely request the starter of the thread to share his secrets..
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • Affe affe log, kaffe kaffe log, iff forum mai aa jaate hain.... (shahid Kapoor style) :)
  • Kha the aise mahanubhav !!! Kyu chutiyapa failate ho ! Dunia me aur bhut jgah h ethics dikhane ko ! Kyu fokat m raam banke apni sita ko gawana chahte ho !
    Krishan ne kha , kya kisi ka tha jo tumne le lia , kyu itna rote ho , jo aap soch rhe ho , wo kbhi kisi ka tha hi nhi , to fir uska lena kya !! sabne yhi se copy paste mara tha, yhi pe rh jaega ! Last me , honey singh kh gye , kuch fresh nhi milna , jo mile chakho bs !!

Ps ; jaisa sawal , waisa diverse answer :)
    correct me ,if i am wrong ! i would be happy to accept my mistakes !
  • One more , tumne bhut bdi glti ki h ye sawal puch k idhr , ab public tumhri ethics ki aisi "laal" kr degi , ki bs dekhte jao :)
    correct me ,if i am wrong ! i would be happy to accept my mistakes !
  • edited July 2015
    LONG LIVE KOPIMISM.. ;)
  • Bhai ye copyright much nahi h..kabhi vision IAS ki pdfs park kr dekhna ..kuch bhi original though nahi ...yahan tak ki sentences padh kar pata lava jata h ki ..beach k sentences gayab h...bole to kisi report ko utha kar goal maal kiya h...yahan tak jiska work h usko credit bhi nahi diya.
    San mile huye h ji - Kejri...
  • itna confujiaon mat puri preparation m kuch original nahi h... Koi tumhari firki le raha h.

• If its a serious dilemma for you -
    * I say yes it is wrong leave it. Without argument go for other legal pdfs. And as pre is near so I suggest leave online stick to hard copy ncerts or self notes.After that ETHICS IS IN MAINS STAGE .SO THEN YOU WILL GET BETTER DIMENSIONS TO RESOLVE YOUR DILEMMA by self reading or shared views .

*IF IT'S JUST A QUERY FOR THE SAKE OF QUERY OR JUST POINT MAKING -

Then what @Bali said ..bcz believe me nw aspirant junta is already getting tensed for upcoming pre and they will not forgive anyone except upsc to destabilize their mental equilibrium :-)

Ethics is about understanding emotions not being emotional !!

But btw my heart says you r in first category .. :-) ATB
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • if a teacher study one book and teach some points from that...is this also voilation..?
    bcz teacher also effecting indirectly sales of that book. !!
  • edited July 2015
    @StruggingStudent May this be true. Best of luck to you.

@mrlobo Things were not fine with me in the past. Would reveal those once I pass the IAS exam and I’m sure, I will. Writing now itself will expand (presently a few of the commenters only) the list of people laughing at me. Writing after passing the exam will make me a ‘source of inspiration’ for them. You can see this rule everywhere.

@baali Lord Rama is my ideal.

@Bureau_crazy Insha’Allah.

@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Yes friend, I was in the first category and it was really a serious dilemma for me. Wouldn’t be writing this year. All the best to you too.

@root You may close the thread. I have been answered by some.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google