MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Topics which can be neglected (or given least prominence) due to time crunch[Prelims 2013]

edited March 2013 in Miscellaneous
Around 60 days left for Prelims 2013.

There are some portions/topics in each subject which can be neglected or given least prominence as they don't seem to be important in Prelims point of view. UPSC isn't that interested in asking questions from such topics.

Please let me know such topics and preferably a reason for that. :)

Comments

• My Answer would be NONE

But i might be wrong...
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
  • edited March 2013
    My Answer would be NONE

But i might be wrong...
    Yes, that is true in a way.
    I am trying to separate topics of less importance so that I can focus more on others.
    For example, Modern History is more important that other two parts (Ancient and Medieval). This doesn't mean that we can completely leave Ancient and Medieval.
    As this is my first attempt, I fear I am spending too much time on topics which are not important.
    Though I have a rough idea about how to go about it, some advice might help.
  • must do -
    1. Laxmikant
    2. ncert geography +1 +2
    3. Rajiv ahir history
    4. economics ncert + current
  • 1. laxmikanth
    2. spectrum history
    3. welfare schemes
    4. economic survey
    5. geography

thats it... this portion can fetch you 80 to 120 marks in paper 1
  • and leave physics, chemistry, bio , ancient and medivial history.
  • 1. laxmikanth
    2. spectrum history
    3. welfare schemes
    4. economic survey
    5. geography

thanks buddy...will make sure this portion is done to the best..
    Its ok to fail once but Dont Quit..else how will u taste the sweetness of the success that awaits you if you Quit !
  • 1. laxmikanth
    2. spectrum history
    3. welfare schemes
    4. economic survey
    5. geography

sir any idea where to do welfare schemes from??
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • edited March 2013
    @Anurag_Sinha The best place to Govt Schemes, classically is the Pratiyogita Darpan - Indian Economy Special Issue

Try getting it and doing it very selectively. Don;t be overambitious and do everything.

The second best place is the Economic Survey 2013-14

Both of them are current unavailable at Flipkart. Try them in ORN.
    Everyone, please do look at past questions of Environment. That is the most important section this year, more than any other year.

Why?

- Because remember that IFS people are also writing the same exam.

*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Neyawn is the latest PD economy special available in delhi? Booksellers out here having been asking me to wait till april for it.
  • It *must* be available in Delhi. As far as booksellers are concerned, PD has a problem of updating issues and prices, without updating content. You tell me, aisa kya ho jayega classical Economy mein Feb or April ke beech mein.

I mean two things are there - Budget + Economic Survey. But both of them, you have to do separately anyway.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Hmmm cz I bought the old one by mistake. I was hoping to find some budget related updates and reduce my workload. Guess I'll just carry on with what I have. Vaise content badalta to hai nahi :)
  • Neyawn
    Sir, I am following India Year Book- 2013 (Govt. Publication) for some days for Govt schemes ... should i read these two books (PD and Eco survey)....or Year book is sufficient ?

• @Nivir You just have to do the schemes. Do it from anywhere. Make it a point to remember at least 3-5 things about every scheme. Once you have done, just glance through Economic Survey once in like 20-30 minutes and scan for any highlights on those schemes - like Total Sanitation Campaign being successful in some parts - some comments like that.

Its not the books that matter. Its what you read. Why I recommend PD & ES is because for me IYB was boring. If you have managed to follow IYB, well and good.
  • Around 60 days left for Prelims 2013.

There are some portions/topics in each subject which can be neglected or given least prominence as they don't seem to be important in Prelims point of view. UPSC isn't that interested in asking questions from such topics.

Please let me know such topics and preferably a reason for that. :)
    When I gave the Prelims last year, Indian polity and NCERT geography was the only thing I had studied. I had completely skipped history, independence movement, environment etc. The prelims were 3 days after my semester exams so I couldn't really study a lot, I only sat for the prelims for the heck of it. 2013 was going to be my serious attempt. But I was surprised to find I had qualified for the mains, which did not matter because I was not eligible anyways (I graduated in december 2012).

So my point is that if you absolutely want to not study a lot for the prelims and still qualify, you can become very good at CSAT and remain mediocre at GS. Gaining expertise in CSAT is relatively easier than GS. By my calculations, I got 150+ in CSAT and maybe 60 in GS. Though fair warning. if you are thinking of skipping topics for prelims, mains will be an insurmountable task.
  • @Stardust1901
    All that makes some sense. I was way too ambitious during initial days of my prep and it did no good.
    I don't want to skip many topics either.
    Thanks bro :)
  • I got 150+ in CSAT and maybe 60 in GS. Though fair warning. if you are thinking of skipping topics for prelims, mains will be an insurmountable task.
    nice score in paper2 dude. you should appear for cat also. i am sure you would be able to secure more than 90%tile there.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • I did score 98.9 in CAT, but MBA is only a backup plan if this civil services thing doesn't work out. The next couple of years will be spent trying to become a babu.
  • I did score 98.9 in CAT, but MBA is only a backup plan if this civil services thing doesn't work out. The next couple of years will be spent trying to become a babu.
    sry to go off topic. but have u joined any B school. Also as u told u cleared mains also just wanted to know what were ur optionals. plz reply. @stardust1901
  • No, I haven't joined any B-school. MBA is not part of my plan for the near future, I am only focusing on CSE. But if I end up having to make a career in the private sector then an MBA degree would become almost a necessity, at which point I'll give the CAT again.
  • @Stardust1901 what were ur optionals for mains 2012. plz
  • Philosphy and Political Science. Though mains 2012 was only a half-serious attempt because I was still working then and my job used to have at least 14-hour work days, which barely left room for studying. I quit my job in January and now am preparing with PolSci as my optional.
  • edited August 2013
    i have started preparation for upsc.first attempt will b in 2014.i have all the resources to prepare as m doin self prep from home.but only one fear is kicking me in dat about its uncertainty.i dont know y.i am in d general category and have 4 attempts from 2014 till 2017 straight.i followed mrunal's advice and have enrolled in a masters course in ignou also as d course is abt my optional paper in cse. and if i do not clear i will have completed 2 masters distance level course from ignou.but i donot know wheteher i will be eligible for a job or phd after dat..becoz ppl have said dat ugc net is required and usme bhi aajkal corruption aa gaya hai...

regardin other exams first f all i am sure that i can clear but somewere doubts arise..and so i think i sud pursue cse n my ignou course only..although my parents advise 2 fill each n every form whether bank clerk,cgl,insurance,railway etc..bt i think i can make into civil services bt seein d compettn and ur feeds posted everywere i can understand d whole conundrum prevailing in each n every1 s lives around here..

i personally feel dat i sud only give cse and side by side pursue my masters degree thru ignou though i know its a useless degree wd lil value as i know it cant fetch any oder job else den lectureship,is it?aur koi job milta hai kya?...please suggest wht to do..i am a junior and wud like 2 listen 2 all...respect ur advices in advance..wai8ng fr ur suggestions..too worried..my optionl is political science..n ma(pol sc) i hv enrolled in ignou...

Moderator note: Do not post the same in multiple threads. Not a good practice.
  • @abhi8738 man, you don't need to post this in every single thread. Its not good internet etiquette.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog