10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

GS Geography Material now AVAILABLE. (Free).

edited March 2013 in Miscellaneous
This forum is extremely user-friendly and I have made some really good friends here. It is a great community with give-n-take knowledge system. I have benefitted a lot from it. People here are not shy in sharing their materials , question papers and even rare e-books too. Nice to see such a non-jealousy type of atmosphere. This is really commendable.
I will contribute a 'little' in this sea of knowledge.
As I promised earlier regarding the GS Prelims material for Geography , it is now ready to be distributed.
In Geography , we search a lot for a reliable material and information is so scattered. So, by this material we can get data all-under-one-roof.

Material : Geography

Useful for: Prelims

Sources : One reputed coaching ncert compilation of the scattered geography information

Mode: Hand written (Photocopy)

Price: No less than US $1mn. (Just kidding. Its free).

This material can be used to kick-start and enhance our geography study and acts as a supplement if you already have geography materials.

If anyone is interested then please PM me. We can then facilitate the process of the sending of the material.

(Disclaimer : All the data/conversation of the members who ask/inquire/take this material from me will be kept private and won't be shared with anyone else. Privacy Policy will be strictly followed. :-) )

Comments

• Topics in the material:

--Basics of Geography

--Climatology/Oceanography/Environmental Geography

--Indian Geography

--Indian Agriculture

--World Regional Geography

--Indian Climate

--Energy resources of India

--Planets,Earth,Physiography and Drainage

--Manufacturing Industries of India

--Economic Geography

--Transport System of India

-------------
    Total pages : Around 300.

• I forgot to mention that it is a hard-copy material.
    Material has to be transported by physical means.
  • Appreciate your efforts! PMed you! :)

• Inbox flooded with PMs.
    Great response.
    -
    Also, it seems that (keeping in mind everyone's opinions/needs via PM) the e-book format would be more feasible and rapid.
    -
    Scanning the material is the only option. Right ?
    -
    I don't have a scanner. But I will contact some cyber cafe guys here if they can scan it for me. I hope it won't be too costly. LOL.
    -
    I will send the scanned version of the material then.
    -
    If somebody has any feedback/suggestion then feel free to PM me.
  • edited March 2013
    @sheen: its great to see your effort..I have a little suggestion which you are free to shoo away..what we can do (in place of or in addition to ongoing)..is form a collobrative google doc and an attached google group. when you/we revise Geography you/we can share mind maps/ notes on each of the topic mentioned and complete/correct each others knowledge..this can be expanded to whole syllabus
    there can be few problems
    1)any rogue element can vitiate the whole process
    2)some free-riders may also be there(i dont have that much problem with them but yes somewhat)
    Any innovative suggestions regarding this are welcome...or
    i have seen some wiki-format captive knowledge sharing platforms..anyone techno-savvy please elaborate on this..if this can be feasible
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • Just contacted the cyber cafe man.
    -
    Scanning a page costs Rs.5/- and that too because it is a bulk order !!!!!!! I requested that guy to give me some discount and I explained my story but in vain. !!

OMFG !!!!!!
    Why the hell on earth the reading/sharing materials /preparing for exams has to be so costly for UPSC aspirants !!!
    -
    Why everything,during the preparation, takes a complex and surprising turn for UPSC aspirants ?
    ----
    I also read somewhere in this forum that a guy used to pay Rs.15000/- per month for a little room and a washing machine. This is something absolutely merciless. He has to pay this amount just because he want to be a knoledgeable citizen and want to serve the society. But before that, he needs to get robbed by some 'previleged' landlords or other owners who are even more merciless than Aurungzeb was. This creates an acute pain in my heart.
    -
    So many people PMed me who were really ready to work hard by reading and they really wished to get the material and get some knowledge. And this ridiculous system of acquiring/sharing of knowledge is becoming a big pain.
    -
    Books publucations , coaching centers , landlords and all try to loot when they see an UPSC aspirant. :-(
    -
    I strongly believe that
    Acquiring and sharing of Knowledge has to be COMPLETELY free and open-source in everyway. Also, it should be facilitated by some external support like agencies or.some govt. schemes. After all, knowledge is the 'key' to develop a society in the best possible manner.
    -
    We cannot restrict the knowledge as the 'previlege' of handful of rich and lucky people.
    -
    How can we expect the supply of intellentsia if the common people are supplied with either inadequate sources or no sources at all to develop ourselves intellectually.
    -
    I don't propose that Everything has to be free for UPSC aspirants but atleast there has to be some reasonable and understandable features in the system.
    ---

• @sheen If you have a decent camera, Just click > Upload on google drive > share it!

or

Click few pages > Share it here > If it is readable/response is good > You may click few pages daily and upload them in due course of time at your own pace.
  • edited March 2013
    @Partho Yeah.
    I have samsung galaxy SP and I will try as per your suggestion. Thanks for your suggestion.
    -
    Actually, I joined that institute by paying a really hefty amount of money and they provided that material to all of their students including me.

But I am a staunch believer of, and have liberalist approach with, the view that 'knowledge' is to be acquired and shared as much as possible and in the most easy and effective way. Knowledge flow shall not be restricted , no matter what. Every obstacle in this path, my eyes see it as a poison. I feel for all my brothers and sisters, preparing for UPSC across India ,who have faced 'knowledge crisis' (in one or the other way) just because of these obstacles.
  • My suggestion is to study FROM STANDARD BOOKS... any material of any institute would be mostly copy-paste job with which it is difficult to get the clarity that upsc demands... its good to see ur efforts... :)
  • My suggestion is to study FROM STANDARD BOOKS... any material of any institute would be mostly copy-paste job with which it is difficult to get the clarity that upsc demands... its good to see ur efforts... :)
    Actually , it is the compilation of all the scattered information about Geography in the form of a single material. Atleast it was told so by that gentleman (our faculty of geography).
    And I saw here many members were confused with the 'what to read' 'From where to read'.
    So, I thought it is better to share my class room notes with them.
    If they benefit even 1% from it, then too I will get immense joy.
  • @sheen If you could PM me the nature of the material along with the institute name, I could help you in your aim to share this document, if it's available in my vicinity.
    I am in possession of a scanner, so scanning and uploading them will not be a problem.
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • Nice effort @sheen :-)
    @PoliceWala Are you guys talking about manually scanning 100s pages? :O
    What good will that be?
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited March 2013
    Just contacted the cyber cafe man.
    -
    Scanning a page costs Rs.5/- and that too because it is a bulk order !!!!!!! I requested that guy to give me some discount and I explained my story but in vain. !!

OMFG !!!!!!
    Why the hell on earth the reading/sharing materials /preparing for exams has to be so costly for UPSC aspirants !!!
    -
    Why everything,during the preparation, takes a complex and surprising turn for UPSC aspirants ?
    ----
    I also read somewhere in this forum that a guy used to pay Rs.15000/- per month for a little room and a washing machine. This is something absolutely merciless. He has to pay this amount just because he want to be a knoledgeable citizen and want to serve the society. But before that, he needs to get robbed by some 'previleged' landlords or other owners who are even more merciless than Aurungzeb was. This creates an acute pain in my heart.
    -
    So many people PMed me who were really ready to work hard by reading and they really wished to get the material and get some knowledge. And this ridiculous system of acquiring/sharing of knowledge is becoming a big pain.
    -
    Books publucations , coaching centers , landlords and all try to loot when they see an UPSC aspirant. :-(
    -
    I strongly believe that
    Acquiring and sharing of Knowledge has to be COMPLETELY free and open-source in everyway. Also, it should be facilitated by some external support like agencies or.some govt. schemes. After all, knowledge is the 'key' to develop a society in the best possible manner.
    -
    We cannot restrict the knowledge as the 'previlege' of handful of rich and lucky people.
    -
    How can we expect the supply of intellentsia if the common people are supplied with either inadequate sources or no sources at all to develop ourselves intellectually.
    -
    I don't propose that Everything has to be free for UPSC aspirants but atleast there has to be some reasonable and understandable features in the system.
    ---

I second that...but a lot has improved in recent times...Jimmy Wales is like a God for me, but he still has to fund-raise every single day to keep the system running.
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • edited March 2013
    @Neyawn Manually scanning 100s of pages will take some amount of time. Time will be a constraint, but if the whole material is worth it ( @sheen can tell us better), it could be done.

Depending on the number of pages, it could take anything from 1-2 days to 3-4 weeks!
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |

• @Partho
    Bro, I got one page clicked but it was 1.3 MB (JPG format) !!!!!!
    In total it may cross 300 MB !
    ---
    Buddies,
    I am doing my best to avail that material for the larger mass.
    But if things just don't go by our side then I will post here all the topics and subtopics so that people can read the chapters accordingly. It may look okay for seniors but for newbies it may be of great help.
    By the way, material is from Chanakya IAS academy.
    What say ? @Neyawn @Partho
  • @sheen Just use google drive! Upload 10 - 15 pages daily, By mid April - You will be done. :)
  • edited March 2013
    @AK_CS
    Yeah. You have a point. I respect your opinion.
    I know funds are necessary to keep any system up and running.
    But the system developed by Jimmy Wales is worth appreciable.
    Why?
    1. He does not charge users directly.
    2. His content is FREE. Anyone can access it. No restriction of anykind. It is an free-for-all.
    3. He takes donations. It is not compulsory.
    --
    This is what I call 'reasonable' and 'understandable' features of the knowledge system that I mentioned somewhere in my above post.
    If we (our society or govt or individuals) fail to evolve such a system (like wiki or something even better than that) then it is actually a sign of under-developed system of knowledge sharing and it shows the backwardness of the society (including myself). :-)
  • @sheen
    are bhai, just get it xeroxed and courier it.as simple as that.for a quality notes everyone be happy to pay atleast photocopying and postal charges.
    World is full of cheaters..

• @dodo12
    Yeah. That option was and is still open.
    Scanning and all those stuff was for those people who prefer e-books , online reading.
    And the notes cover from basic things to general data of geography which will be very useful in Prelims.

• edited March 2013
    Hi all,

It has been decided that I will upload files of Geo. notes (images of notes) on google drive and will share the links.
    I will share the links topic wise in new thread so as to avoid the confusions and make things go in an organised manner. Also, people can be selective in this way about their topic of interest.
    [ Credit to @Partho for suggesting this and thus helping the larger masses ].
  • @ak_cs Agreed. Jimmy Wales. *Respect* One of those few places where it feels good to donate. And as @sheen said, atleast it is not compulsory! And my favourite quote of his - "Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing."
  • edited March 2013
    @ak_cs Agreed. Jimmy Wales. *Respect* One of those few places where it feels good to donate. And as @sheen said, atleast it is not compulsory! And my favourite quote of his - "Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing."
    @fallen_leaves indeed..the respect magnifies when Wikipidea says that ads dont belong here.........i sincerely believe any redemption/move towards utopia in this world will begin with knowledge-sharing/intellectual equality/revolution..May be today's Marx would say,"power flows through click of a mouse" :P...
    On a practical note, i have seen many a namunas/antique-pieces in my process of UPSC preparation in this regard. Leave aside coaching institutes...one of my study-mate(no-other-option mate) had this unique trick. He would always feign ignorance and ask very simple questions so that the other guy would jump upon and give lectures for hours. On the other hand, he would carefully secure what he knew to the hilt...after a couple of encounters i also started paying him back in the same coin..guys like Jimmy Wales may not be super-rich but humanity owe a lot to them. They enable us to rise above our petty existence.
    Already Digressed a lot :P

• Wikimedia Foundation has not just provided a platform for sharing encyclopedic knowledge, but they have given away the software on which Wikipedia runs, MediaWiki. So that anyone can implement it according to their own specific need which may be voluntarily edited like Wikipedia. The way has been shown and the rest is the journey.
  • @ak_cs Agreed completely. And loved this one - Marx would say,"power flows through click of a mouse" Indeed! :)
  • plz tell me where is that file
  • I hope this is not an attempt of collecting data of civil aspirants
  • Where is the link?

Koi to batao yaar...
  • You could use camscanner app on your Android free of cost.
  • You could use camscanner app on your Android free of cost.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog