10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

first time attempting IFos and cse together need help

i am a btech holder ..kindly suggest the books for geology and animal husbandry.

Comments

• Can any please let me know..among the optionals : Animal husbandry & Geology which is the easier one ?
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • taliban said:

Can any please let me know..among the optionals : Animal husbandry & Geology which is the easier one ?

My father is a veterinary doctor, and he categorically told to refrain from taking animal husbandry as an optional unless one has a background in it.
  • it is extremely difficult to score in geology nowadays. maths/science/engg will crush and take almost 100 marks lead in 1 optional itself. after 2015, upsc has heavily targetted geology.
  • edited February 8
    Every year there are ppl who take geology n clear...i am taking geology i find it easy to grasp. Infact this subject is easy for ppl from mech and civil background. If u take geology n try to study after cse mains then u may not clear considering the competition....
  • dhaniya said:

i am a btech holder ..kindly suggest the books for geology and animal husbandry.

Take geologybut give 4 hours daily before prelims.
  • DON"T EVER TAKE GEOLOGY!ALREADY IT HAS RUINED ME IN 2016.in almost all the other papers people got more than 180 very easily but in geology it was too difficult to even cross 150 mark.
    even the level of difficulty in 17 also....mat pucho mere yaar( it was more difficult than 16 and needed a solid geology background).I regrate my decision to take geology rather than botany or other optionals!
  • FORICOS said:

DON"T EVER TAKE GEOLOGY!ALREADY IT HAS RUINED ME IN 2016.in almost all the other papers people got more than 180 very easily but in geology it was too difficult to even cross 150 mark.
    even the level of difficulty in 17 also....mat pucho mere yaar( it was more difficult than 16 and needed a solid geology background).I regrate my decision to take geology rather than botany or other optionals!

@FORICOS according to you which optional is better to take which will take less time to cover it...pls suggest some..
  • FORICOS said:

DON"T EVER TAKE GEOLOGY!ALREADY IT HAS RUINED ME IN 2016.in almost all the other papers people got more than 180 very easily but in geology it was too difficult to even cross 150 mark.

Please suggest a way out then !! Apart from Agri,Forestry, Geology aur lunch option Bataao !!
  • Kuch * not lunch

Damn this autocorrect
  • dhaniya said:

Both of the optionals are considered very difficult. Geology requires lots of boring rattafication. Forestry is one easy optional to take. Why do not you watch some toppers' interview of IFoS exam?
  • dhaniya said:

Both of the optionals are considered very difficult. Geology requires lots of boring rattafication. Forestry is one easy optional to take. Why do not you watch some toppers' interview of IFoS exam?
    Please compare Geology Vs Botany/ Zoology
  • edited February 9
    Guys, how's agriculture?
  • edited February 9
    taliban said:

dhaniya said:

Botany has short syllabus but syllabus is not well outlined. Zoology takes more time but syllabus is very clearly drawn. Both of these are good particularly when one takes these as optional for both CSE and IFos. There have not been many candidates succeeding with zoology/ botany but if you check success rates of people who wrote mains with these, it's almost 11%.

Having biology background and good drawing skills will help. I have not much knowledge about Geology but it's generally considered boring and tough. Requires you to remember too many terms and words. Ye paththar, wo kankad. Feedback is from a friend who graduated with geology.
  • edited February 9
    Mulberry said:

Guys, how's agricultura

It's good but you cannot go for agri+ forestry combo. Agri engg+ forestry is allowed though
  • edited February 9

Mulberry said:

Guys, how's agricultura

It's good but you cannot go for agri+ forestry combo. Agri engg+ forestry is allowed though
    Damn! I was planning for agri and forestry. :neutral:

How long would it take to cover zoo/bot? I had bio in Class xii. Will that knowledge come handy or these subjects are no-go?
  • FORICOS said:

@FORICOS according to you which optional is better to take which will take less time to cover it...pls suggest some..
    GO FOR BOT. OR ZOO.
    BHAI KUCH V LELO LEKIN GEOLOGY MATLENA!THIS YR GEOLOGY IFOS PAPER WAS EVEN TOUGHER THAN CS.
  • Mulberry said:

Mulberry said:

Guys, how's agricultura

How long would it take to cover zoo/bot? I had bio in Class xii. Will that knowledge come handy or these subjects are no-go?
    It will come handy. I mean a lot. Every term from gymno to pterido to stamen to succession you already know. I am in same situation as yours. I dropped psychology after waiting for mains result and took botany for this year's exam only from Jan end. Time taken to complete syllabi can vary but 4 months in any case for either zoology or botany. Check evolution ias schedule for these optionals. You will get some idea of time required.
  • taliban said:

dhaniya said:

Botany has short syllabus but syllabus is not well outlined. Zoology takes more time but syllabus is very clearly drawn. Both of these are good particularly when one takes these as optional for both CSE and IFos. There have not been many candidates succeeding with zoology/ botany but if you check success rates of people who wrote mains with these, it's almost 11%.

Having biology background and good drawing skills will help. I have not much knowledge about Geology but it's generally considered boring and tough. Requires you to remember too many terms and words. Ye paththar, wo kankad. Feedback is from a friend who graduated with geology.
    Thanks a lot for your elaborate response bro.
    Among Botany & Zoology which one could be covered in lesser time ? Are the two months after Civils mains enough for covering one of these along with Forestry ??
  • edited February 9
    taliban said:

taliban said:

dhaniya said:

Among Botany & Zoology which one could be covered in lesser time ?

Botany for sure. Evolution teaches zoology daily 4hrs for 5 months and botany daily 2 hours for 4 months to complete syllabus.

Are the two months after Civils mains enough for covering one of these along with Forestry ??
    For first part of question:
    -Botany for sure. Evolution teaches zoology daily 4hrs for 5 months and botany daily 2 hours for 4 months to complete syllabus.

For second part:
    -No brother.. One reading must before that two months period starts. 10 units cannot be simply completed in 60 days. That too along with forestry no matter how easy forestry is.
  • Mulberry said:

Mulberry said:

Guys, how's agricultura

It will come handy. I mean a lot. Every term from gymno to pterido to stamen to succession you already know. I am in same situation as yours. I dropped psychology after waiting for mains result and took botany for this year's exam only from Jan end. Time taken to complete syllabi can vary but 4 months in any case for either zoology or botany. Check evolution ias schedule for these optionals. You will get some idea of time required.
    Thank you bro.
  • taliban said:

taliban said:

dhaniya said:

Botany for sure. Evolution teaches zoology daily 4hrs for 5 months and botany daily 2 hours for 4 months to complete syllabus.

Are the two months after Civils mains enough for covering one of these along with Forestry ??
    -Botany for sure. Evolution teaches zoology daily 4hrs for 5 months and botany daily 2 hours for 4 months to complete syllabus.

For second part:
    -No brother.. One reading must before that two months period starts. 10 units cannot be simply completed in 60 days. That too along with forestry no matter how easy forestry is.
    You sure must have gone into the syllabus part. That's detailed. If you don't mind, what's your optionasl?
  • Mulberry said:

taliban said:

taliban said:

dhaniya said:

For second part:
    You sure must have gone into the syllabus part. That's detailed. If you don't mind, what's your optionasl?
    I said that I dropped psychology and have taken botany for this year cse and botany+forestry for ifos. (Subject to qualifying prelims again as this time competition will be on a different level).
  • What about animal husbandry
  • edited February 10
    do we have to choose the optional during filling up of the form like civil services or in DAF..@TootaHuaDil
  • taliban said:

taliban said:

dhaniya said:

For second part:
    Thanks a lot for your helpful guidance bro.
  • do we have to choose the optional during filling up of the form like civil services or in DAF..@TootaHuaDil

You have to indicate your optionals right now at the time of filing prelims form.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog