10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Changing optional from Geography to Philosophy.Suggestions welcome!!

Thanks in advance.
And I will whisper 'no'.

Comments

• But y?
    Jo aaj tera hai ,wo kal mera hoga aur parso kisi aur ka ho jayega !!
  • But y?

Geo ne dooba diya bhai.....aur mere bas ki cheez nahi lagti ye...humse na ho paayega..
    And I will whisper 'no'.
  • Philosophy ka 2 saal se kya haal h pata kar lo bhai
  • prime said:

Philosophy ka 2 saal se kya haal h pata kar lo bhai

geography se bura nahi hoga bhai... :neutral:
    And I will whisper 'no'.
  • Thanks in advance.

Are you starting from scratch ? If yes are you preparing for 2018 attempt ?
  • Dead Man said:

Thanks in advance.

Are you starting from scratch ? If yes are you preparing for 2018 attempt ?
    Yes starting from scratch.Only that i have interest in philosophy and out of interest have read many things given in syllabus previously.Yes 2018 attempt.
    And I will whisper 'no'.
  • What has been marks trend in philosophy in 2015,2016?
    And I will whisper 'no'.
  • But y?

Kaha ho yar tum
  • is it possible to prepare philosophy in 3 months??
  • edited January 22

What has been marks trend in philosophy in 2015,2016?

2015 was pretty bad. 2016 was even worse, no one crossed 300 marks and only 2 people made it to the final list from general category, it was one of the worst performing optionals in 2016. Even worse than geography. So think about it before you make a decision.
    Leaving forum for now. All the best to everyone!

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • edited January 22
    @Rorschach Returns I will suggest you, first and foremost, to go through the syllabus and previous years' questions of last 2-3 years to just understand the scope of syllabus and trends of questions respectively. Along with it, go through the syllabus of sociology and anthropology, which are more general as compared to the Philosophy, and finally take a decision based on these factors. Just remember that opting for any optional should be based on sound determinants and not on mere factors that look appealing to you at first sight, inasmuch as, such decisions are generally one time and if wrongly taken would go a long way in keeping you at a backfoot. For better advices, you should also consider consulting the seniors and experienced players with Philosophy optional.

Pros of philosophy optional:

1) Philosophy has the shortest syllabus in the mains exam. It takes only about 2 months to finish this subject and hence you can save time to focus on the general studies papers.

2) Current affairs do not play any part in this subject. This should come as quite a relief to aspirants!

3) Many topics covered under this optional will come in handy for the essay paper. Such topics are democracy, humanism, secularism, multiculturalism, corruption, religion, morality, justice, women empowerment, etc.

4) Studying philosophy is especially helpful in the ethics paper. By studying philosophy you can get a lot of quotes.

5) A lot of good study material is available for philosophy.

6) Some of the topics can be answered even with general awareness and a good reading habit. This subject can be taken by candidates from any background – science/engineering or humanities. You need not have prior knowledge of the subject.

Cons of philosophy optional:

1) If you are generally not great in writing, it can be difficult to score well in this optional.

2)Off late, UPSC had been asking tougher questions to probably lessen the advantage of a shorter syllabus.

3) You need very good clarity of concepts and thoughts to understand this subject.

4) You need a genuine interest in the subject to get good marks. (Then again this holds true for all the optionals.)

Note:- I am not an aspirant with Philosophy optional. Tried to help you as much as I could. :-)
  • @Rorschach Returns I will suggest you, first and foremost, to go through the syllabus and previous years' questions of last 2-3 years to just understand the scope of syllabus and trends of questions respectively. Along with it, go through the syllabus of sociology and anthropology, which are more general as compared to the Philosophy, and finally take a decision based on these factors. Just remember that opting for any optional should be based on sound determinants and not on mere factors that look appealing to you at first sight, inasmuch as, such decisions are generally one time and if wrongly taken would go a long way in keeping you at a backfoot. For better advices, you should also consider consulting the seniors and experienced players with Philosophy optional.

1) Philosophy has the shortest syllabus in the mains exam. It takes only about 2 months to finish this subject and hence you can save time to focus on the general studies papers.

2) Current affairs do not play any part in this subject. This should come as quite a relief to aspirants!

3) Many topics covered under this optional will come in handy for the essay paper. Such topics are democracy, humanism, secularism, multiculturalism, corruption, religion, morality, justice, women empowerment, etc.

4) Studying philosophy is especially helpful in the ethics paper. By studying philosophy you can get a lot of quotes.

6) Some of the topics can be answered even with general awareness and a good reading habit. This subject can be taken by candidates from any background – science/engineering or humanities. You need not have prior knowledge of the subject.

1) If you are generally not great in writing, it can be difficult to score well in this optional.

2)Off late, UPSC had been asking tougher questions to probably lessen the advantage of a shorter syllabus.

3) You need very good clarity of concepts and thoughts to understand this subject.

4) You need a genuine interest in the subject to get good marks. (Then again this holds true for all the optionals.)

Note:- I am not an aspirant with Philosophy optional. Tried to help you as much as I could. :-)

@Rorschach Returns I will suggest you, first and foremost, to go through the syllabus and previous years' questions of last 2-3 years to just understand the scope of syllabus and trends of questions respectively. Along with it, go through the syllabus of sociology and anthropology, which are more general as compared to the Philosophy, and finally take a decision based on these factors. Just remember that opting for any optional should be based on sound determinants and not on mere factors that look appealing to you at first sight, inasmuch as, such decisions are generally one time and if wrongly taken would go a long way in keeping you at a backfoot. For better advices, you should also consider consulting the seniors and experienced players with Philosophy optional.

thanks a lot bhai.It was really helpful.All the best for future endeavours. :smile:
    And I will whisper 'no'.
  • Bhai maine toh change kar liya PSIR.
    Its as vast as Geo but.
    Philosophy ko bhi i gave a good thought and you are right,trend philosophy ka Geo se much better hai.
    Maine first attempt ke hi seekh le li bhai. People are clearing from Geo consecutively,but shayad humse na ho paega..:/
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Bhai, as someone who has cleared mains with philosophy I can just tell you that please do not drag yourself down this rabbit hole. It is much darker than you can imagine.

Everyone is obsessed with the small syllabus but no one apart from someone who has given mains with philosophy knows that you need at least 20 readings to understand the subject.

Then the questions in the exam are from a different planet altogether, the study material available is woefully inadequate to tackle many of the upsc questions. And general answers won't fetch you any marks. Also, the help philosophy provides in gs4 and essay is very overrated, there is little to no help.

If one year back someone had told me this I would have been forever indebted (but no one did). Anthro, PSIR or Socio is what I would have changed to. Also, philo ka trend is worse than Geo, just go to any philo thread. It has been mercilessly butchered last year and this years paper was even tougher.

So yeah, you be the judge and take a decision that suits you but if you think that philo is easy, let me tell you, its a wolf in sheep's clothing. However, if you are truly interested in the subject and are willing to put in the hours, it can change your life in a good way (however, if you wan't to clear this exam asap there are better options). Peace.

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • Bhai, as someone who has cleared mains with philosophy I can just tell you that please do not drag yourself down this rabbit hole. It is much darker than you can imagine.

Everyone is obsessed with the small syllabus but no one apart from someone who has given mains with philosophy knows that you need at least 20 readings to understand the subject.

Then the questions in the exam are from a different planet altogether, the study material available is woefully inadequate to tackle many of the upsc questions. And general answers won't fetch you any marks. Also, the help philosophy provides in gs4 and essay is very overrated, there is little to no help.

If one year back someone had told me this I would have been forever indebted (but no one did). Anthro, PSIR or Socio is what I would have changed to. Also, philo ka trend is worse than Geo, just go to any philo thread. It has been mercilessly butchered last year and this years paper was even tougher.

So yeah, you be the judge and take a decision that suits you but if you think that philo is easy, let me tell you, its a wolf in sheep's clothing. However, if you are truly interested in the subject and are willing to put in the hours, it can change your life in a good way (however, if you wan't to clear this exam asap there are better options). Peace.

Had I have cleared mains with Geo,I would have never been so critical of it(even today I am not and don't believe in concept of butchering either).Its that Geography didn't suit me. Period.
    Geo se PSIR shift karna means dusra hathi paalna. Everyone who changes Geo after some attempts has only the complaint of syllabus. PSIR me wo complaint nahi duur hogi,coz I think it needs wider and exhasutive reading which comes with time.
    Socio,yes can be an option and so as Anthro. But obviously not PSIR. Even I am on a deciding phase yet,that is it too early to shift as It was my first attempt. If he is interested in Philosophy naturally then the short syllabus is boon to him. My friends who have shifted from Geo tells me that philo is 50% to what Geo syllabus is. Also on talking to Mitra Sir,he told me that there is not SPECIAL aptitude required for clearing philosophy,it just need revisions. So,short syllabus is the only possible source for frequent revision,which is quiet impossible in Geo.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Mujhe kaun sa optional choose karna chahiye ? Maine history me B.A. kiya hai so is hisab se Zoology kaisa rahega mere liye ??
  • Thanos_1 said:

Mujhe kaun sa optional choose karna chahiye ? Maine history me B.A. kiya hai so is hisab se Zoology kaisa rahega mere liye ??

Medical Science ke liye kyu nahi sochte,trend accha hai..:p
    Ex-Geography.
  • भाई साहब, कइयों को जानता हु जिन्हें दर्शनशास्त्र ने डुबाया है। वो भी 5 बार से!
    आपसे विनती है की कोई और ऑप्शनल देख लो.. सोशियोलॉजी, एंथ्रोपोलॉजी..
  • Beuce said:

Bhai, as someone who has cleared mains with philosophy I can just tell you that please do not drag yourself down this rabbit hole. It is much darker than you can imagine.

Had I have cleared mains with Geo,I would have never been so critical of it(even today I am not and don't believe in concept of butchering either).Its that Geography didn't suit me. Period.
    Geo se PSIR shift karna means dusra hathi paalna. Everyone who changes Geo after some attempts has only the complaint of syllabus. PSIR me wo complaint nahi duur hogi,coz I think it needs wider and exhasutive reading which comes with time.
    Socio,yes can be an option and so as Anthro. But obviously not PSIR. Even I am on a deciding phase yet,that is it too early to shift as It was my first attempt. If he is interested in Philosophy naturally then the short syllabus is boon to him. My friends who have shifted from Geo tells me that philo is 50% to what Geo syllabus is. Also on talking to Mitra Sir,he told me that there is not SPECIAL aptitude required for clearing philosophy,it just need revisions. So,short syllabus is the only possible source for frequent revision,which is quiet impossible in Geo.
    Mitra sir will obviously tell you that because his livelihood depends on it. He told me the same thing (which is why I took the subject) but man oh man, is he wrong.

Short syllabus of philosophy is the biggest mirage among all the optionals in UPSC. I got fooled by the same. I'm just trying my best to share my experience so that other people don't get fooled. Also, if there is no special apititude required ask sir why only two people made it to the final list last year from general. The answer is obvious, because it's super hard Inspite of the short syllabus.

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • Bhai aise toh percentage toh sabhi ka skewed hai. You can never use the term ‘butchering’ for atleast Philosophy,please. Geo wale bolte toh samajh bhi aata.
    What proof you have only two people made,any stats anything? You mean paper bhi General and Reserved dekh ke check ho rahe?
    Ex-Geography.
  • Beuce said:

Bhai aise toh percentage toh sabhi ka skewed hai. You can never use the term ‘butchering’ for atleast Philosophy,please. Geo wale bolte toh samajh bhi aata.
    What proof you have only two people made,any stats anything? You mean paper bhi General and Reserved dekh ke check ho rahe?

No comments. You can believe whatever you want to bhai.

And i was wrong, three people made it. Ravi Agarwal sir. Vivek Kumar sir and shilpi ma'am. 2 of them are below rank 200. Ravi Agarwal sir is rank 94, he got the highest in Philo at 292. Law and philosophy were the two optionals which were butchered last year with no scores above 300. These are facts.

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • Bhai,Geo se Philosophy is always a much better choice,agree or not. Your wish.
    Search for more,you will get many.
    Ex-Geography.
  • edited January 22
    Beuce said:

Bhai,Geo se Philosophy is always a much better choice,agree or not. Your wish.

There are no more. It's a fact.

And Geo is a tough optional too, not once did I tell anyone to take Geo. All I said is Philo is messed up and you're hailing Philo without having any experience in it. So I don't value your advice nor your opinion when it comes to Philo.

Itna hi easy lagta hai toh you are welcome to join Philo :mrgreen:
    I'm just trying to spread awareness among people who have asked for advice. Aap yaha kyu argue Kar rahe ho I have no clue.

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • i changed from geography to geology.....prepared for 1 month for forestry...thought managable...
    but seriously...its too vast....even rote learning...soooo many terms
    surface learning.. optional might seem small... but as u start studying in depth...real pictures comes out
    the advantage i saw..was common optional in both civil and forest
    optional jaan to lega dost...so check ur relative advantage...aur abs lag jao :)
  • philosophy, the kind of questions that are coming, does require a certain aptitude. it's not like any other optional. its bit like you have to think in a mathematical kind of way to answer some questions. myself been clearing mains since last year. last year got 274. but the questions went trickier this year. so fingers crossed. but i won't advice to jump into it unconsciously.
  • and this year's paper 2 questions were very difficult. i really mean it.
  • Beuce said:

Bhai,Geo se Philosophy is always a much better choice,agree or not. Your wish.

There are no more. It's a fact.

And Geo is a tough optional too, not once did I tell anyone to take Geo. All I said is Philo is messed up and you're hailing Philo without having any experience in it. So I don't value your advice nor your opinion when it comes to Philo.

Itna hi easy lagta hai toh you are welcome to join Philo :mrgreen:
    I'm just trying to spread awareness among people who have asked for advice. Aap yaha kyu argue Kar rahe ho I have no clue.
    Isiliye kar raha,coz someone having genuine interest should not be mislead.
    I have friends with Philo,they have cleared mains and have good experience.
    You are not alone mate. I consulted them as well,saw their answers and didn't find anything out of the box as you try to portray..:)
    Ex-Geography.
  • Philo optional is transcendental..;lol...good for those seeking liberation :wink:
    Prelims - 4, Mains - 2, Interview - 1, Service - 1 (Reserve List 2017)
  • edited January 23
    people having no experience of philosophy optional commenting...lolz..those of us who have been writing mains(3rd mains with philosophy) with philo know very well the myth of short syllabus...it has been one of the wrst performing optional since 2015..2016 was the worst year..questions were tough and marking too..less than 10 people as I have heard were in the list.(some say 3).highest being 292...last year I remember raising the issue and someone said all of us have written shit in the paper :) anwys this yrs paper was from some other planet...was not even able to understand questions...though got an interview call but paper was dicey and nnot easy..may b paper checking has been liberal...so choose philosophy at your own risk..dont go by coachingwalas and others perception..think wisely and decide
  • Take at your risk... Only when u find ur self best at presenting answers
    Only when u can write more from less.... Only when u can understand transcendental stuff...... Philo is best but only for few.... For rest it is nightmare.... In 2016 I scored 248
    Was 200% sure of getting interviewed this year.. But couldn't clear this tym.... Changing my Philo optional after giving it 3 years
    Be positive..Be patient....Everything comes to you in the right moment.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog