MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batch of WESTERN Philosophy starting on 30th Nov. (EVENING) 05:00 PM-7:15 PM.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Any disadvantages with electronic note making for current affairs

I started using Evernote to make The Hindu notes few days ago. Earlier I was making physical handwritten notes. I have heard people complaining that writing practice goes away with e-notes. Since the paper is written only, should we make digital notes or physical notes?
Please someone advise.

Comments

• I personally use One Note to prepare for Current Affairs only. Since CA is dynamic, we need to edit or add points to our notes frequently. When it comes to Conventional/Static portions of the syllabus which requires simplification or memorizing which helps for revision later, I go for handwritten notes. As long as you make notes for these and answer writing for few questions daily. You will have no problem.
    UPSC - 2018
    Optional - Pol. Science & IR
  • when you write on paper,your speed increases.when you summarize a certain editorial you indirectly write an answer!grammar m help ho jati hai.plus you revise faster the stuff you have written in your own handwriting.
    waise bhi bahut saari cheeze hai pdf m online that you can revise.but there is a certain joy in doing some things in the old fashion way.but at the end day ,do what suits you the best. :)
  • when you write on paper,your speed increases.when you summarize a certain editorial you indirectly write an answer!grammar m help ho jati hai.plus you revise faster the stuff you have written in your own handwriting.
    waise bhi bahut saari cheeze hai pdf m online that you can revise.but there is a certain joy in doing some things in the old fashion way.but at the end day ,do what suits you the best. :)

+1 Difficult to revise e-notes. :/
    Sweet Victory!
  • I personally use One Note to prepare for Current Affairs only. Since CA is dynamic, we need to edit or add points to our notes frequently. When it comes to Conventional/Static portions of the syllabus which requires simplification or memorizing which helps for revision later, I go for handwritten notes. As long as you make notes for these and answer writing for few questions daily. You will have no problem.

When should one start the practice of answer writing? I started my preparations 1.5 months back and when I see the questions I don't even know how to start with the answers? Should one complete the syllabus first ?
  • Gameplay said:

when you write on paper,your speed increases.when you summarize a certain editorial you indirectly write an answer!grammar m help ho jati hai.plus you revise faster the stuff you have written in your own handwriting.

How do you manage adding new points to the topic ? Like the news is dynamic it is becoming very difficult for me to add new points. I maintain 4 copies for the Current affairs. Can you give some tips ?
  • I started using Evernote to make The Hindu notes few days ago. Earlier I was making physical handwritten notes. I have heard people complaining that writing practice goes away with e-notes. Since the paper is written only, should we make digital notes or physical notes?
    Please someone advise.

Speed is needed while you write answers. Right? what speed has to do with note making? You might be slow, but make brilliant notes for yourself ! or you might be very very fast in making notes but make below average notes. isn't it?
    Make notes on your own or use smart ways to consolidate notes in a proper manner by using Vision, Baba, Insights etc. Make sure to prepare a clear story about an issue at a single place, so it becomes easy to revise, whenever need arises. Online note making is the most efficient way to do it.

Now coming to the argument of - e-note making leading to slow writing speed; you need to practice answer writing in time-bound manner separately. Join a test series and try to complete the test in time. Job done.

Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • Gameplay said:

when you write on paper,your speed increases.when you summarize a certain editorial you indirectly write an answer!grammar m help ho jati hai.plus you revise faster the stuff you have written in your own handwriting.

How do you manage adding new points to the topic ? Like the news is dynamic it is becoming very difficult for me to add new points. I maintain 4 copies for the Current affairs. Can you give some tips ?
    Not against e-notes. It's just that they make revision a scary affair. Solution is to keep trimming your notes. Make micro notes, etc.
    Sweet Victory!
  • handwritten notes is much more beneficial
    1) they get coded in your memory because you can read carelessly but not write
    2)WRITING SPEED increases since you have to cover almost everything
    3)Easy to format online but careful formatting in real time , trains your brain to write properly.
    4)if you have a good filing system then no worries
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • i struggled with the same question for days. eventually landed on hand written notes

yes handwritten takes more time and hard-work but will definitely aid in revision in the end. after a few months when you have learned basics you will stop making elaborate notes. hence with time the content to write will be less.

hand written helps in brain training , increasing writing speed and reading comprehension , summarizing , concentration as mentioned above.

revision was the deciding factor for me. first off i had to stare the laptop screen. got pain in my eye just in a few days.so up to you, that is depends on your eye stamina to stare at a screen. and i had to pick every page in one note to see if i had made notes in that page that day to , because i try to revise the same day.but yes there is a RECENT function in one note , it was somewhat helpful.
    in hand written i can revise the day's notes at one place but yes later on i have to physically keep them in separate folders.

as for writing practice as mentioned above take a test series and practice .

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog