How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Medical Examination for UPSC Civil Services

edited October 2015 in Official Exam Process
This is in reference to medical examination of qualified candidates of CSE-2013 recently released by DoPT ( http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/MedFindings-CSE13-25072014.pdf ).
As you will observe, for many candidates color blindness has been cited as reason for unfitness for all services (including non-technical) (e.g see rank 91, 203, 759).
While as far as I know, in the extraordinary gazette annexure III (which contains medical norms and I am attaching with the thread) mentions that lower grade colour perception is sufficient for non-technical (IAS, IFS, IRS, etc).

If by some means any of you have contact with these aspirants or further information on the matter, than do post it here as it will help fellow aspirants.

Comments

• It's a gaffe. They are going on appeal- DoPT will look into the matter and act according to the rules and guidelines.

There's nothing to worry. :)
    ForumIAS Moderator | Indian Revenue Service 2014 | Indian Administrative Service 2015
  • Thanks neanderthal for support, but I wonder how come big hospitals like these can commit mistakes when guidelines are so clear. I think there is something else too which we don't know
  • edited July 2014
    If candidates are temporarily unfit under medical finding, then they are allowed for further training @ LBSNAA or NOT?
  • They may not attend the FC, but will join the in-service training.
    ForumIAS Moderator | Indian Revenue Service 2014 | Indian Administrative Service 2015
  • Attending training or not is not the problem, the main issue is whether they will be given the job or not. With comments like "unfit for all services" I am in doubt whether they will be given the service. And secondly how can they write "unfit for all services" for colour blindness when gazette specifically allows non-technical services to be fit for 'low grade colour vision'
  • Hi.. Can anyone clarify my doubt.. Please.. It will be a big help..
    I have done Lasik Operation on my eyes.. 3 years back,, Will I be unfit for All Services (like Rank No 619) or Only for Technical services (like Rank No 315) as given in the attached sheet.
    Thanks.
  • And one more doubt.. I have a High BP of 130 (mine range is 90-130).. Will that be a problem too ?
  • @W2W
    130 is fine as the medical standards mention the normal range as 100+age if above 25. 90, though is going to be a problem as it is the clinical mark where one is diagnosed with hypertension rather than prehypertension.
    If you can take it, you can make it.
    I will fight till the end, be it bitter, be it glorious.
  • I simply do not understand the rationale behind disqualifying many candidates from all services. And then there is the case of Mr. Sukhoshit Singh who was declared medically unfit even after repetitive exams and still managed to join the services after receiving personal intervention of the PM. He is a thallassemia patient.
    Does one exhaust all the possibilites after being declared medically unfit in the 2nd round or there is still some remedial procedure in the pipeline?
    If you can take it, you can make it.
    I will fight till the end, be it bitter, be it glorious.
  • @Neanderthal could you please tell whether those who have been termed unfit for all services for color blindness will be given non-technical service later or not. I am color blind and my preparation are relying on this. thanks
  • @Neanderthal could you please tell whether those who have been termed unfit for all services for color blindness will be given non-technical service later or not. I am color blind and my preparation are relying on this. thanks
    same here too,i don't know how color blindness makes one unfit for all services,the notification every time mentions technical services.Why the disparity,confused and worried,can someone help out with how these things work?
    same here too,i don't know how color blindness makes one unfit for all services,the notification every time mentions technical services.Why the disparity,confused and worried,can someone help out with how these things work?
    Color Blindness can not be a criteria for 'disqualification for all services'..it is a mistake.
    Refer to the below document for details..

pdf
    pdf
    Medical Requirements.pdf
  • Can they reject a candidate for having a permanent tattoo?
    I have read the medical gazette, it is not mentioned anywhere, but still anybody who can shed more light on this matter ?

Thank you
    Tell them the truth and they call you a traitor..
    Talk to them honestly and they call you a hater.. !!!
  • Can someone throw light on what are the tests that are performed? How is color blindness tested?

Also, I've a power of -5.5 in each eye? Am I ineligible for all services?
  • i too was shocked to see so many guys being declared 'unfit for all services' ant that also for reasons as trivial as 'colour blindness' and 'deficient colour vision' ans especially when the rules clearly state that high color vision is not a requirement for 'non technical services'..... dopt would deny them any service,this looks ridiculous and its kind of travesty of justice,when even visually challenged candidates are allowed IAS in ph category ! let's wait for the service allocation,which is gonna happen by the weekend..........i personally think,there could be two cases........ either those would be having more serious ailments(along with color blindness,even in that case it's not just) or it's just part of the 'procedure ' ,they would go for appealate board and then there cases will be decided,i mean the service for which suitable...... and IF ITS TRUE ,THEN WHY THE HELL PPL ARE WASTING SO MANY YRS OF THEIR LIFE AND SO MUCH TOIL TO CLEAR THIS EXAM ,ONLY TO LEARN THAT THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO READ FEW ISIHARA PLATES AND THAT'S REASON ENOUGH TO DENY THEM IAS ! A PIL COULD BE FILED.............
  • Can someone throw light on what are the tests that are performed? How is color blindness tested?

JUST TYPE ISIHARA TEST IN GOOGLE............. and this color blindness is a misnomer... one can be partially color blind, i mean it's about having high color vision or low color vision...moreover there are types of it.... i don't know,how the medical board decides the case.......

JUST TYPE ISIHARA TEST IN GOOGLE............. and this color blindness is a misnomer... one can be partially color blind, i mean it's about having high color vision or low color vision...moreover there are types of it.... i don't know,how the medical board decides the case.......
    Also, I've a power of -5.5 in each eye? Is it an issue only for technical services or for all services?
  • some guy above has attached the relevant guidelines ..... have a look
  • Hi.. Can anyone clarify my doubt.. Please.. It will be a big help..
    I have done Lasik Operation on my eyes.. 3 years back,, Will I be unfit for All Services (like Rank No 619) or Only for Technical services (like Rank No 315) as given in the attached sheet.
    Thanks.
    Can someone please clarify my doubt ??

Just like someone said in one of the comments above - what is the point slogging for all these years if you are unfit for all the services... better find it out in the beginning itself...
  • also whether hypertension (High blood pressure) is a disqualifying criterion for All the services.. ??
  • @traveller
    I too agree it will be highly injust to deny them service. and if they does so one can go to court with strong case. Actualy I went to a govt hospital and met with person who sits in medical board, and he complained that it is guidelines of DoPT which are confusing and colour blindness is very subjective disease and everyone is different case. I hope these people are allotted services
  • edited August 2014
    @traveller
    I too agree it will be highly injust to deny them service. and if they does so one can go to court with strong case. Actualy I went to a govt hospital and met with person who sits in medical board, and he complained that it is guidelines of DoPT which are confusing and colour blindness is very subjective disease and everyone is different case. I hope these people are allotted services
    exactly ! color blindness varies in severity,types and so on and the testing standards are vague too.......anyways,it will be soon clear with the service allocation, there was a similar thread last yr too ,though inconclusive http://forumias.com/discussion/2114/upsc-medical-standards/p2
  • also whether hypertension (High blood pressure) is a disqualifying criterion for All the services.. ??
    no brother,i read few months back somewhere in the newspaper that hypertension and diabetes would no more remain medical issues for dopt ..they have relaxed the guidelines...as these ailments are becoming too common and does not decrease ur work efficiency.....
  • Mates, What about the tattoos ? Can they declare us unfit for having a tattoo , ?
    Tell them the truth and they call you a traitor..
    Talk to them honestly and they call you a hater.. !!!
  • Mates, What about the tattoos ? Can they declare us unfit for having a tattoo , ?
    its a medical test and having tatoos is no health issue.......
  • @traveller
    Bro do u know what happened to @batman brother. In ur link he mentions that his brother was declared unfit coz of colour blindness
  • @traveller
    Bro do u know what happened to @batman brother. In ur link he mentions that his brother was declared unfit coz of colour blindness
    check his last post in that thread,producing verbatim here

"thank god and thanks everyone for your valuable comments. for now aims doctors have sent their report in our favour. he is the first person from our family to reach at such high post so were very worried as we knew nothing.i hope and pray to go god that his name appears very soon in service allocation list."

i feel a lot relieved now.
  • @traveller
    just relaaaxxx................ talked to a guy ,who has been declared unfit on account of colour blindness..he said nothing to worry..joint secretary DoPT told him when he enquired that only safdarjung hospital seems to be unaware of the rules in the Extraordinary gazette of India dated 6th march 2013.......... PROBLEM SOLVED,GET BACK TO STUDIES.
  • @traveller
    Thanks a lot yaar! u are the savior. Seriously relieved know of this mental trauma. Anyway do u know when will service allocation happen.

Also, I've a power of -5.5 in each eye? Is it an issue only for technical services or for all services?
    No problem for non technical services for sure if you can get 6/6 or 6/9 vision thru spects.
    For tech services it is used to be 4.0D, but in the recent rules they havent mentioned that and lasik is accepted. But in the list some ppl are rejected on the pretext of lasik.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog