MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

LLB after engineering.

Hi Friends ,
i am an engineering graduate and a civils aspirant. I want to apply for full time LLB. I checked the internet , CLAT forms are out but for undergraduate they have age limit while post graduates needs a LLB degree. I want to apply to a good college that is my priority .
Kindly assist if you have any idea , where can I apply . Thanks in advance.

About Me-
Age- 25yrs
been to interview in civils once.

Comments

• edited January 30
    apply to rgsoipl @ iit-kgp, if you're interested. it offers a 3-yr llb with hons. in intellectual property law. but don't be in two minds when you join the course. i dropped out of the course when i found my civils prep was getting disrupted and academics suffered at the same time. you've to maintain a minimum gpa of 6 to get the degree. so, make your choice. also it'll cost you ~5 lacs at the present rate.
  • edited January 30

apply to rgsoipl @ iit-kgp, if you're interested. it offers a 3-yr llb in intellectual property law. but don't be in two minds when you join the course. i dropped out of the course when i found my civils prep was getting disrupted and academics suffered at the same time. you've to maintain a minimum gpa of 6 to get the degree. so, make your choice.

thank you for the response .
    I am pretty clear about this , this is my last full time study attempt this year. Have to put efforts somewhere else too , to save myself from the darker side of this preparation. How is LLB at DU .
  • another option is joining llb@du where you can get the hostel plus the fees is nominal. attending classes is not mandatory and you can squeeze your efforts into the civils. there are n number of instances successfully making it to the list that way. tanvi sundriyal, for one. so, in any case, make sure, do a little introspection what you're really into. don't juggle up things.
  • NLUs offer 5 years law course (immediately after +2, hence you are facing the age issue) . And for LL.M. obviously you need to have the LL.B. degree.

You can try D.U. or B.H.U. or some other law college which offers 3 years law course, age won't be an issue then.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • another option is joining llb@du where you can get the hostel plus the fees is nominal. attending classes is not mandatory and you can squeeze your efforts into the civils. there are n number of instances successfully making it to the list that way. tanvi sundriyal, for one. so, in any case, make sure, do a little introspection what you're really into. don't juggle up things.

thanks a lot mate! No juggling , most of the civils syllabus can be covered along with job or degree if followed with consistency .
  • edited January 30
    Goggles said:

another option is joining llb@du where you can get the hostel plus the fees is nominal. attending classes is not mandatory and you can squeeze your efforts into the civils. there are n number of instances successfully making it to the list that way. tanvi sundriyal, for one. so, in any case, make sure, do a little introspection what you're really into. don't juggle up things.

thanks a lot mate! No juggling , most of the civils syllabus can be covered along with job or degree if followed with consistency .
    you're right but the rigors of a degree can really dampen your spirits and leave you with very little time all the same. if you've to attend classes from 8 to 5 save for a hour in between for lunch, it's highly unlikely you'll find time for anything else. you will severely mar your chances in the college and also not be able to take a wholehearted plunge into the civils. i guess there was someone at tiss who cleared it alongwith his course but then his academics got thoroughly affected, and also he had a rank in 700s. even this is pretty rare. i guess the same holds truth for a job as well that demands too much from you.

tl,dr: make your decision based on the rigor(the general connotation of course varies from person to person, but still)of the course/job etc.
  • Is llb available in non-regular schedule. Ignou types, or part time.
  • edited January 30
    On a lighter note ...karo to acche se kar lena ...interview wale keh k na lele. :p ..graduation ko hi badi mushkil se maga h B)
  • Just my two cents here- DU LLB has become a lot more rigourous since Bar Council pulled them up. They now are enforcing the attendance criteria plus tutorials. It should not be as hectic as NLU D but not as rosy as for aspirants of previous batches.
  • Goggles said:

another option is joining llb@du where you can get the hostel plus the fees is nominal. attending classes is not mandatory and you can squeeze your efforts into the civils. there are n number of instances successfully making it to the list that way. tanvi sundriyal, for one. so, in any case, make sure, do a little introspection what you're really into. don't juggle up things.

Buddy.. m doing llb from du batch 2016.... now it has become mandatory to attend classes ... u cannot skip... it's now a serious business after that evening classes have been scrapped.. and hostels are limited... I got air 15 n m still waiting for a hostel room
  • I was in the same place a year and half back.
    UPSC or LLB? Had just graduated. Decided to do LLB from DU.
    Don't regret it as I had age on my side and LLB gives a back up incase I don't make it to the UPSC.
    But, have realised one thing after 4 semesters plain and simple- You just can't do both LLB and UPSC preparation together. Even if you manage to prepapre well for UPSC, maybe mains/pre will clash with semester exams. And you will lose out on being eligible for any PSU and other such exams if you don't score well in LLB. And, as for the judiciary as back up, it will be a hell tough with such vast syllabus if you don't do your semesters well. And forget about corporate and law firms if you don't score really well.
    So, I would never do LLB if I was 25 and already had a professional degree.

Besides, after the Bar Council and Law Faculty fiasco, the golden era of no attendance policy is gone in DU. Attendance is strictly adhered to. It's a whooping 70% to sit in the exams. And there is a case going on in HC, so no relief in near future.HC has already pulled up Bar Council and the Law Fac.
    Better, try UPSC for 1-2 more years and then maybe you can think about LLB if you don't sail through.
    And as far as BHU is concerned, it more of a school. Morning to evening classes. Personal monitoring of attendance and all.
  • Guyz .. Should economics be prefered over law ?
  • Guyz .. Should economics be prefered over law ?

I am a eco graduate currently doing law.
    I didn't have a penchant for maths. So, left eco.
    I was more into humanities. So, I opted for law.
    if you are more into maths and algebra and mathematical proofs and derivations, obviously eco would be a better choice.
  • Well am an engineer .I have alot of interest in maths . But doing economics after engineering seems bad decision .
    I can't decide positives . I mean it might help in civils ..but doing it just for civils is not an good option .My optional is geography

Can someone explain positives ?
    Later career opportunities and in terms if daily life I mean if I do some business in future how can it help
  • With LLB, CFA and Engineering degree( from IIT) and few years of work experience, u can go in merger acquisition. Believe me you earn better than iim guys.....otherwise law is waste of time, focus on civil services....
  • S

Well am an engineer .I have alot of interest in maths . But doing economics after engineering seems bad decision .
    I can't decide positives . I mean it might help in civils ..but doing it just for civils is not an good option .My optional is geography

Later career opportunities and in terms if daily life I mean if I do some business in future how can it help

See, the thing is that with law you will get newer opportunities, but one thing is for sure that civil services prep will take a back seat. I did law after graduation while wrote mains in 2013 with second semester exams. I failed to qualify for interview and also had to skip semester exams.
  • edited February 1
    oldrusty said:

S

Well am an engineer .I have alot of interest in maths . But doing economics after engineering seems bad decision .

See, the thing is that with law you will get newer opportunities, but one thing is for sure that civil services prep will take a back seat. I did law after graduation while wrote mains in 2013 with second semester exams. I failed to qualify for interview and also had to skip semester exams.
    :'( .. UPSC aspirants kuch kaam ke nahi hote.
    I am not able to play my beloved online games. :/ :mrgreen:
  • tHEN after two more iterations of this same cycle, I had a meagre 53%, in law and had to write 9 improvement papers to go above 55%. Law faculty mein 60% ana kafi effort require karta hai, and since most NLUs are liberal w marks, you will always have disadvantage in placements. Even some govt jobs- like law officer have a 60% criteria. So in effect your law degree will not have so much value. Since you dont have a good command over law, private prctice will be out of picture.
    A better thing to do is to join law when you are sure to shift career, then do it properly and have a good command over law. If you want to give CSE further after 4 attempts, go do law from DU, change your optional and things might get streamlined. It takes longer time but is a more sure way to go about doing things.
  • edited February 10
    I will be turning 23, this April. I am BA Political Science graduate. Shall I try for LLB as a backup? I am planning to give Mht- Cet law exam of maharashtra. Plz guide.
    "God is great"
  • Anybody?
    "God is great"
  • apply to rgsoipl @ iit-kgp, if you're interested. it offers a 3-yr llb with hons. in intellectual property law. but don't be in two minds when you join the course. i dropped out of the course when i found my civils prep was getting disrupted and academics suffered at the same time. you've to maintain a minimum gpa of 6 to get the degree. so, make your choice. also it'll cost you ~5 lacs at the present rate.

how did u prepared for the IITkgp LLb entrance...pls share tips and advice. I have applied this yr. and I am a Comp. Engg. graduate
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog