ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

How rigorous are post-selection medical check up for CSE ? High BP 142/84 whereas req is 140/90

Sir/madams and folks,

I have written mains with Physics optionals. My CSM 2016 went very well. I am expecting to get interview call for CSE
This was my 3rd attempt.

I am 28 year old preparing full time for last 3 years. When I started preparation i had 120/80. After 3 years of preparation and lethargic lifestyle now when I measured my BP during a check it showed 142/84, I got it checked twice but same result.
I have Hypertension issue in my family. My weight has also increased by 8-9 KGs.

CSE medical requirements says anything above Systolic Pressure 140 mm Hg or Pressure Diastolic 90mm Hg will be hospitalized and will undergo further checkup for hypertension.

My Systolic 142 mm Hg is scaring me.
Though it is possible to lower it down, but still i will be zone to be declared unfit.

Seniors and guys who are in service please guide how rigorous are UPSC medical check up in terms of Blood Pressure and hypertension cases
I am unable to even study for the next attempt as this could become a deal breaker even after nailing a good rank. Feeling depressed in my quest for services I screwed health and now eventually the reason for which I screwed is also slipping through my hands (services) :(

Please suggest. What could be done. Should I continue my prep or should I lower my blood pressure with through exercises then prepare or should i leave my preparation

Comments

• Do not worry. It's more common among youngsters than you think. Visit a doctor, most likely he will prescribe you ACEi & thereby bringing your BP within range. Moreover you shall seek medication nonetheless as prolong hypertension has severe sequelae.
  • Do not worry. It's more common among youngsters than you think. Visit a doctor, most likely he will prescribe you ACEi & thereby bringing your BP within range. Moreover you shall seek medication nonetheless as prolong hypertension has severe sequelae.

thanks sir it is really re-assuring as this was a double blow to me. thanks for advice I really appreciate.
    I will try to modify my unsustainable life-style will now devote time for running and changes in diet
    would observe for a few weeks if my body responds to these factors and BP comes down will continue till it comes in healthy range in 120's. if it doesn't then will consult a physician.
    i hope this doesn't cause people to be declared permanently unfit by medical board?
  • If u are not suffering from any complications associated with bp then there is no need to worry
  • Sir/madams and folks,

I have written mains with Physics optionals. My CSM 2016 went very well. I am expecting to get interview call for CSE
    This was my 3rd attempt.

I am 28 year old preparing full time for last 3 years. When I started preparation i had 120/80. After 3 years of preparation and lethargic lifestyle now when I measured my BP during a check it showed 142/84, I got it checked twice but same result.
    I have Hypertension issue in my family. My weight has also increased by 8-9 KGs.

CSE medical requirements says anything above Systolic Pressure 140 mm Hg or Pressure Diastolic 90mm Hg will be hospitalized and will undergo further checkup for hypertension.

Though it is possible to lower it down, but still i will be zone to be declared unfit.

Seniors and guys who are in service please guide how rigorous are UPSC medical check up in terms of Blood Pressure and hypertension cases
    I am unable to even study for the next attempt as this could become a deal breaker even after nailing a good rank. Feeling depressed in my quest for services I screwed health and now eventually the reason for which I screwed is also slipping through my hands (services) :(

Please suggest. What could be done. Should I continue my prep or should I lower my blood pressure with through exercises then prepare or should i leave my preparation

They will be willing to overlook the hidden stats such as these if you reach the Medical round. However, they will give a negative , and ask you to lose weight, if you are obese, like in excess of 20-30 kgs and are obese to the point of looking ill due to obesity

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • edited January 24
    @sagar.iitkgp bro , please please please start following a healthy lifestyle. I don't know , why; but it pains me a lot when young guys/gals suffer from such issues ( or for that matter any health issue).
    -start running /jogging ...may b early in the morning or during sun time , and if possible go for twice a day round if 30 min each.
    Start with brisk walk , then build up to it.

- say tata bbye to oily foods. Start having oats in your meal ..in morning or may some other time ..but please include it in your daily diet for sure.

- tell your kaamvali to add less oil in sabzi .
    - have warm water early in the morning . and even 30 min after a meal.

Edit: drink only low fat milk ...yellow color packet vala.
    High BP can be managed with exercise ...do t go for medications abhi... Follow this routine.

Do it for a week atleast , and do tell me.
    P.s. I am a doctor , though not much qualified ...but I just want to help u bro.
    Do pm me ..if u need any help.
    God bless you always . :smile:
  • Neyawn said:

Sir/madams and folks,

This was my 3rd attempt.

They will be willing to overlook the hidden stats such as these if you reach the Medical round. However, they will give a negative , and ask you to lose weight, if you are obese, like in excess of 20-30 kgs and are obese to the point of looking ill due to obesity

I am 172 cm and 80 kg
    yeah I am 12-13 kg overweight than prescribed weight
  • Neyawn said:

Sir/madams and folks,

This was my 3rd attempt.

I am 172 cm and 80 kg
    I guess BMI >30 is considered as overwt as per Upsc standards, please correct me if I'm wrong ( kyunki fir muje bhi Kam karna padega)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • MD47 said:

Neyawn said:

Sir/madams and folks,

This was my 3rd attempt.

I am 172 cm and 80 kg
    I guess BMI >30 is considered as overwt as per Upsc standards, please correct me if I'm wrong ( kyunki fir muje bhi Kam karna padega)
    It hardly takes 1 month, i reduced from 80 to 68 in 1 month, leave all foods just liquid diet, protein, vitamin, hormone supplements. fish oil, flaxseed and other herbal products
  • No hormone supplements pls. :)
  • MD47 said:

Neyawn said:

Sir/madams and folks,

This was my 3rd attempt.

I am 172 cm and 80 kg
    It hardly takes 1 month, i reduced from 80 to 68 in 1 month, leave all foods just liquid diet, protein, vitamin, hormone supplements. fish oil, flaxseed and other herbal products
    Yes anabolic bro. You are absolutely right but I'm saying that if acceptable BMI is 30 then Sagar need not reduce any weight

P.S- I have reduced 2kgs in 14days
    B)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • No hormone supplements pls. :)

Hormone like testesrone in low doses is needed to decrease fat cells. If you cycle properly it will not be a bog issue , every player on earth take these dont abuse it , it has clincal benefits also.
  • Few percentage of people may have side effects also . it is always better to be safe than sorry.
  • @sagar.iitkgp bro , please please please start following a healthy lifestyle. I don't know , why; but it pains me a lot when young guys/gals suffer from such issues ( or for that matter any health issue).
    -start running /jogging ...may b early in the morning or during sun time , and if possible go for twice a day round if 30 min each.
    Start with brisk walk , then build up to it.

- say tata bbye to oily foods. Start having oats in your meal ..in morning or may some other time ..but please include it in your daily diet for sure.

- tell your kaamvali to add less oil in sabzi .
    - have warm water early in the morning . and even 30 min after a meal.

Edit: drink only low fat milk ...yellow color packet vala.
    High BP can be managed with exercise ...do t go for medications abhi... Follow this routine.

Do it for a week atleast , and do tell me.
    P.s. I am a doctor , though not much qualified ...but I just want to help u bro.
    Do pm me ..if u need any help.
    God bless you always . :smile:

+1

You dont need to shed tears, literally or virtually, over this BP issue. It can be managed but you need to be very religious in following the advises. Medication not required.

PS: @steelalmirah is very much qualified doctor. Report after a week's time as advised to him.
    PSS: A doctor here as well.

@DrKingSchultz @Burger or any mods, please close the thread as the query has been addressed.
    Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh. Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh
  • Sir/madams and folks,

This was my 3rd attempt.

hey thanks for bringing this up
    experienced people do they outrightly reject from all services if b.p is nt normal?
    any other medical issue on the basis of which people r rejected?
    He is out there holding your hand...
  • Start working out especially lifting weights and little but of cardio.Not only will u get a good body but the positivity will reduce your stress.But most important is the diet,eat more protein and maintain a calorific deficit for a couple of months and u shd be in ur target weight range.And for the bp-cardio,incline walking ,cycling or just sprinting shd do the trick!
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • edited January 24
    Good thread. I was looking for one like this.

Can someone please suggest a good whey supplement to go with an average workout. I go for 3×15 deadlifts, 3×12 bench-press and 2-3 sets of curls and shrugs.
    I'm looking for some authentic brand which any forum member has himself used. I bought it once from a local shop but the whole time I was wondering if the protein shake I was drinking is really whey or some adulterant. Coz I was not seeing muscle mass accelerating inspite of intensive workouts.

@sagar.iitkgp I hope u won't mind me using ur thread for my query. I really can't help u with ur question except suggesting that go for resistance training. It's good for overall fitness. For BP I can't say.
    And yes, all the best for ur mains result. Hope u make it to merit.
  • Bhai i had this issue tooo..it was due to anxiety and lethargic lifestyle and too much worry...i went on to a trip came back relaxed and the very next day started running during morning...it changed everything...niw by bp is 120/80 exact....before that i had consistently measured 145/92
  • Bhai i had this issue tooo..it was due to anxiety and lethargic lifestyle and too much worry...i went on to a trip came back relaxed and the very next day started running during morning...it changed everything...niw by bp is 120/80 exact....before that i had consistently measured 145/92

Wow m going tmrw 4 sure
    He is out there holding your hand...
  • @Indian_Cheetah , MuscleBlaze is good enough. It doesn't sell adulterated on Healthkart.
    I'm now on my 4th 2kg box, and improvement is most definitely there. Go for the Cafe Mocha flavour, it's the best among the rest. :)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @sagar.iitkgp , start weights+cardio properly (in that order) at the gym, or lift weights and then go for a run.
    Do not eat roti and rice for 2 months. Have salads, veggies, dals, lentils etc.
    Take whey protein along with milk and some fibre (isabgul works) after workout, and as a meal replacement.
    Reducing your weight to the desired value will bring your BP under control.

Source: My BP used to be 210/150 when I weighed 165 kgs and didn't exercise at all. It stands at a little over 140/90 now, after losing 35 kg and exercising as regularly as possible.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog