Courses for CSE 2018 by ForumIAS
MGP 2018 - ( 40 Tests : 20 Half Length Tests + 20 Full Length Tests) - Beins 1st October | Prelims - 1st October | CGP 2018 - 25th September

Law Optional for CS Main Eaxmination

edited September 2015 in Law
Hello People

Anyone preparing Law Optional. I know it is far fetched but there is no harm in Trying [-O<
Please Help

Regards
Kabir
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.
·

Comments

• edited March 2013
    @KK1987 What help do you need? I have to chose between law n socio and I'll probably take socio. try this blog if not already tried.

http://thecivilservicesdream.blogspot.in/?m=1
    ·
  • @KK1987 Finally finding a rare species! Join the club! Currently it has only 1 member.
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    @Inthefray Thanks for the Blog Link . Its actually helpful.
    I am in two minds about choosing between Sociology and Law, though more inclined towards the latter. Waiting for my Mains marks to be sure.
    I intend to post my experiences and expectations on this highly interactive forum, which would be later rather than sooner so as to entice some people into taking Law >:)
    Its high time that the information available in the public domain on Law as an Optional (read Ashutosh Salil's Blog) is updated.
    Hoping for some contribution from you.

@alexiaaicha I am not rare I am Exotic
    >-)
    ·
  • @KK1987 you're most welcome. I think if you ask questions on that blog, you might still get answers. Though all the authors are in their postings now.

I too feel that it's best to wait for your marks before taking a decision. If it helps, a lot of my friends appeared for the interview this year and they all have law. I too would have opted for law had I had to chose a second optional :)

·
  • @Inthefray : ashutosh salil's blog as some timeless classic tips on law prep, though new sources/materials/articles would be helpful, especially for Intl Law.. those with prior experience of writing mains could contribute here..
    @alexiaaicha and @KK1987 we definitely are a rare species, but our numbers are slowly progressing!
    ·
  • @AlphaSierra true that! There's already good fodder for IL questions this year.
    ·
  • Also I have a few dukkis and one avtar singh on mercantile laws that I'm willing to sell. In case anyone would like to have them please pm me :)

I also have some of my consti notes that are a mix of mp jain and vn shukla. I think I'll put them up for free as they are incomplete. So pm me your mail ids and I'll mail the notes to you once I get them scanned.

Note: currently I'm not based in delhi but I'll be there first week of june.
    ·
  • Please add to the list one HO Agarwal on IL and HR and one RnD on IPC. The latter isn't really good for mains but you can keep it for peace of mind :D
    ·
  • I think Pillai and Bare Act would be more than sufficient for IPC. RnD is an ocean for this exam.
    Law

·
  • @alexiaaicha honestly I won't recommend RnD either. I never used it myself. But what I did find quite enough was kd gaur. No question felt like a shocker after preparing with gaur. Rnd is too full of cases and very little explanation, and mighty boring (as per me)!
    ·
  • @Inthefray I doubt if any law school student has gone through the whole RnD. In fact not many lawyers have gone through it entirely either. :-)
    Law

·
  • @alexiaaicha hahaha...yes!
    ·
  • Story of V about how she went about her Law Paper. (Caveat – She was a Law Student. She was based out of New Delhi. She did not take any sort of coaching. She went on to interview stage). I will improvise on this at a later date though I have added some parts on my own and edited out most of her work.
    Kindly discern the relevant parts for yourself.
    Objective – People choose Law as an Optional. It is EASY and SCORING. Choose WELL choose NOW.
    CSE 2012 Law Mains Paper I & II were of 300 marks each. In both Paper I & Paper II 5 questions were to be attempted out of 8.
    Paper I had 2 Sections: Section A - Constitutional & Administrative Law & Section B - International Law
    Paper I was such that V ended up doing 3 questions in Section A and 2 in Section B.
    Section A - She prepared Constitutional & Administrative Law from
    1. VN Shukla’s Constitution of India Edited by M.P. Singh (Major Source)
    2. Our Constitution – Subhash C. Kashyap (Minor / Consulted)
    3. The Constitution of India (Bare Act) – PM Bakshi (Always have it, and read it too)
    4. Introduction to the Constitution of India – DD Basu (Read during prelims preparation)
    5. Administrative Law – I.P.Massey (Did while in Law School)
    Gyan – Follow single source topic wise. Carefully do Administrative Law part; it is the differential in Law Paper I Section A. You will end up doing 3 questions from this part due to the general neglect of International Law and over-emphasis on Constitutional & Administrative Law during your preparation.
    Section B - She prepared International Law from
    1. International Law - Malcom N Shaw
    2. An Introduction to Public International Law - S. K. Verma
    Gyan – Shaw is fat but very less part is to be studied from it actually. SK Verma is very shallow book in comparison to Shaw but it is for in the case you chicken from Shaw.
    Important - Practice past year question.
    Paper II consisted of 2 Sections. Section A - Law of Crimes (IPC) & Law of Torts; while Section B - Law of Contracts and Mercantile Law & Contemporary Legal Developments
    Section A -
    Law of Crimes (IPC)
    1. Commentary on IPC – KD Gaur
    Law of Torts
    1. Law of Torts – R.K. Bangia
    Gyan – IPC is the compulsory question in Section B hence you will end up emphasising on it. Try and prepare Tort well it is small and easy. Preferably do 2 questions from Tort as it is the differential in this section. KD Gaur is good book. It is fat but it is good.
    Section B –
    Law of Contracts and Mercantile Law
    1. R.K. Bangia – Law of Contract I & II
    Gyan - Avatar Singh is a waste in comparison to Bangia. (Personal Opinion - went through both). Do this well. Hence a slight compromise can be made on IPC.
    For Contemporary Legal Developments follow legal news on public networking sites. Follow PRS on twitter. Read policy magazine. It will help in General Studies as well and have legally reasoned opinion on current affairs. Eg. Pardoning Powers, Rape Laws.
    So bases to cover in Paper II Ranking wise.
    1. Law of Contracts and Mercantile Law
    2. Law of Torts
    3. Law of Crimes
    Caution – Do not follow this advice. Cover all and cover them good.
    Take all and give back none. Be a pirate.
    V does not like to socialize, with me particularly (I am like Alan Harper to her) so I do not know if she will participate in this forum. Comments may well have to be dealt by me for this post.
    ·
  • @ Inthefray I follow MN Shaw. But does HO Agarwal gives any Indian perspective. Which HO Agarwal book are you talking about - Concise or fat one.

@AlphaSierra Welcome mate. Try and contribute. Encourage more people. Competition will lead to better result.
    ·
  • @Inthefray I follow MN Shaw. But does HO Agarwal gives any Indian perspective. Which HO Agarwal book are you talking about - Concise or fat one.

@AlphaSierra Welcome mate. Try and contribute. Encourage more people. Competition will lead to better result.
    ·
  • @KK1987 it's HO Agarawal on international law and human rights, relatively thick, around a thousand pages including the index. It is a 'shallow' book and the author has little perspective in general. He brings together opinions of oppenheim starke cassesse n all. It's an unhappy read focussed singularly on the exam and not enjoying IL or enhancing your knowledge. I isn't sk verma also like that? But one such basic exam oriented book is mandatory :)

I have a hardback Shaw and I agree with your reco about reading it selectively. One excellent but dated book that I have is starke. It's far from sufficient but then starke is starke, a joy to read. Actually I'd used it more thoroughly in 2010 when we still had an optional in pre. I won't recommend it for a first timer. Law takes time and effort. And there should always be some scope for revision, I have personally suffered on that account.

Also, how upto date are cases in your torts bangia. Admittedly mine is old edn but sometimes the question specifically asks for recent cases.
    ·
  • During law school, I read H O Agarwal for human rights and international law. PErsonally I feel it was a waste of money. I prefer Shaw.
    However my HO Agarwal wasn't a thousand pages thick. S K Kapoor on the other hand is a thicker book.
    From Shaw one should only do selective reading. International law is VAST, and I ended up wasting a LOT of time just on the introduction.
    Starke is a wonderful book, if you have the time for it.

Im glad to see so many people taking law as an optional here.
    (Thank you ForumIAS! Thank you Root and @Neyawn !!! )
    Law

·
  • @alexiaaicha I guess we are referring to two different versions of agarwal! My friend had sk kapur and the two books were pretty much the same size and content.

Kapur/agarwal I think have been written keeping upsc in mind, even subtitles match the questions. So they serve as a good foundation. I eventually read a few cases online for clarity. But there's so much in paper 1, consti, admin and il combined, I mostly blacked out while attempting IL portions :D
    ·
  • @alexiaaicha @Inthefray and @KK1987 could you share with us the chapters from Malcolm Shaw that you found relevant and important from the exam perspective... plus if you could circulate the articles on Intl Law as suggested by Ashutosh salil.. its very difficult to filter out the good ones from SSRN and other public journals..
    ·
  • There are 2 different versions of OH Agarwal. But I guess the Concise one will not do.

What I have been referred to is the book titled - An Introduction to Public International Law Author S K Verma. It is available on http://books.google.co.in/books?id=1oQxRzp9MoAC&pg=PA22&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

@AlphaSierra I do not have the access to my book nor will it be accessible in near future where I had marked the Chapters/ Topics. So it will be little late, June actually.
    What I did with MN Shaw was that I got hold of last 5 years question and started studying the topics which were covered there-under. It was a quick fix. BUT this was the method employed by me to find out the relevant and important chapters from the exam perspectives. The topics from where the answers were drawn were the marked ones ie relevant / imp.. It was a shabby style but I think it was enough to propel me to the next stage.
    ·
  • the articles on Intl Law as suggested by Ashutosh salil. Its available on Jstor.
    Caution on C********t !!
    pdf
    pdf
    31CalWIntlLJ241.pdf
    2M
    pdf
    pdf
    55AmJIntlL398.pdf
    2M
    pdf
    pdf
    86AmJIntlL310.pdf
    2M
    pdf
    pdf
    1288499.pdf
    3M
    pdf
    pdf
    Recognition of States.pdf
    1M
    ·
  • @KK1987 : thanks buddy.. appreciate the articles.. as regards c*******t, say no evil, hear no evil!! X_X
    I guess the posts on this thread will increase after prelims, especially once the mains marksheet is out and I get to know the areas I screwed up. :-w
    By the way congratulations for your interview call and best of luck for the results.. \m/ (that smiley's flashing a victory sign, i presume!)
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    @KK1987 good job!
    ·
  • People just download the files and sit tight before any action is taken.
    @Inthefray Mine Bangia too is pretty old. I think I bought it in 2008.

People choose Law as an Optional. It is EASY and SCORING. It will help in GS Papers too. Choose WELL choose NOW. <):)
    ·
  • The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog