i am preparing for 2016. Choosing Mathematics as an optional completely out of interest.
The thing is i looked at the syllabus and i feel its very huge, will take around 5-6 months dedicated i feel (just an estimate),
I am a engineer so half of the syllabus is familiar to me as we study the same during engineering. But i know the level UPSC requires is far more than at college level. and i graduated in 2011 so obviously i have forgotten all the concepts.
i have few questions, kindly answer and give suggestion.
1. How much time it takes to complete the whole syllabus, provided i am not gonna go for any coaching. will be relying on Internet NPTEL, MIT and other courses available online.
2. Is my decision not to join coaching correct? if not how is IMS coaching in delhi?
3. Which books i shall follow. if possible please provide only foreign authors. like thomas and Finney calculus.
4. shall i go for maths or shall i go for some humanities subject,(i was thinking of psychology but after studying it for sometime i am not feeling interested in it.)
5. How risky is this optional
6. How scoring is this optional.
Any Help Appreciated.