[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Political Science and International Relations

edited March 2013 in Political Science
I can see there are not much people having this optional.but still if there are some then we can have some discussion here
anyone?
·

Comments

• I am thinking of taking pol sci optional this year as a fresher.. Any suggestions from anyone here reg. question type ( whether direct qn from syllabus or tricky as like pub ad ), writing skills ?? also how to deal with the huge syllabus ?? @oxford95 and anyone wit this optional help me out !!
    ·
  • @baaluks namaskar bhaisaab!!glad to see someone opting for pol science.going by the following discussion i think it will be too tough to prepare with pol science this year itself.
    http://www.forumias.com/discussion/911/whether-to-join-a-coaching-in-delhi-or-not-

@amiteshsirvaiya @zaphod_phi please throw some light on books,material,notes,journals etc of pol science.thanks
    ·
  • @oxford95 Surprisingly, the qn was asked by me nly there in orkut :) I was looking to get opinion from any senior here in this forum before deciding upon.. Also yo can hv a look at the following blog by Vajiram Pol sci mam shubhra... Hope it helps nd also post additional info if yo get to know in the future abt the subject

http://www.politicalscienceforias.com/
    ·
  • Ajay katasaria last yr's rank 28 posted this booklist for pol sc. .His books collection is somewhat different from the rest but contains some good books sans those "Cosmo books".You can check the book list in flipkart or even international sites like amazon(for the int. books) and to see positive feedbacks for the list he has given

this is the link :http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs?cmm=122333445&tid=5745435957308377166
    and this is the booklist he wrote in that community :
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "My Recommendations for Political Science
    Frds I havent read more. But I did read better. As you all know I am a working person in business with heavy hobbies so I had little time for preperation. I have read only a few books which I am mentioning here. However a disclaimer- I have a view of almost all book available for all subjects and I have a significant library. As I havent done coaching I found it wise to invest in books. However most books I havent read even 1 page.

Political Theory
    1. IGNOU MA notes- Base material
    2. OP Gauba- for selected topics
    3. Internet for some topics which were not there in books

Indian Government and Politics
    1. I had Law where we read Constitutional Law in details so no basic material required.
    2. Oxford Companion for India Politics. (Its Rs. 3500 book. Great book, now shorter version available in students companion for Rs. 500)
    3. IGNOU MA notes for selected topics

International Relations
    1. Globalisation of World Politics by Baylis and Smith
    2. Global Politics by Andrew Haywood
    3. IGNOU notes for Theory portion

India and The World
    1. Does the Elephant Dance? by David Malone in Oxford (Great great book)
    2. Indian Foreign Policy: retrospect and Prospects by Sumit Ganguly (The dealing of subject matter is very good)
    3. Rethinking Indian Foreign Policy: Challanges and Strategies by Rajeev Sikri (Good but few chapters on US/Iran etc. are biased)"
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
    ·
  • @baaluks @zaphod_phi do u people have some pol science background ???
    ·
  • asked because this subject is totally new for me
    ·
  • @oxford95 Me too dont hv a background of the subject but thinking to take because of interest towards 2nd section of both the papers and its coverage in GS as well
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    Ask 10 people and 7 will say engg. and I am no exception :) ...btw ambitieux here is a pol sc. graduate.
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
    ·
  • true that
    @ambitieux please provide us with some insights into this subject.and are u having it as ur optional ??
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    true that
    @ambitieux please provide us with some insights into this subject.and are u having it as ur optional ??
    Yes,Political science is my optional.Because once upon a time, i had fallen for this subject :\"> :P

Note: because of Prelims preparation i am too overloaded with studies right now ,LOL :D ,
    so just giving you a brief picture of the whole scenario,I hope it would help :

why to take political science :
    ->one of the safest optional;
    ->direct questions come;
    ->covers a wide arena of different disciplines;
    ->essential ingredient of GS;
    ->will help in essay,interview;
    ->easy to understand;
    ->without coaching one can prepare this;
    -> syllabus is not vast(some people say that syllabus is too vast,but its just a mere assumption);
    ->will help in current affairs,IR,india and the world,human rights etc.
    ->it will give you altogether a different perspective and outlook to understand and critically analyse the dif events.

LIST OF BOOKS :

->Introduction to political theory and Thouht- O. P. GAUBA/ Arora and Awasti(easy to understand)
    ->IR- V. K. MALHOTRA
    ->Politics- ANDREW HEYWOOD
    ->Indian constitution- D. D. BASU/SUBHASH KASHYAP/P.M. BAKSHI
    ->Indian Govt & Politics- FADIA
    ->Indian political thought- V. R. MEHTA
    ->Indian politics:contemporary issues & concerns- MP SINGH & REKHA SAXENA
    ->Politics in India Since Independence –NCERT XII CLASS
    ->Comparative Politics – IGNOU M.A. MATERIAL
    ->India and the World – IGNOU M.A. MATERIAL,Arunday Bajpai
    ->Challenges & Strategy- MP SINGH & REKHA SAXENA
    -> Globalization of World Politics- BAYLISS AND SMITH

But to build basics start with NCERTs, O.P. Gauba,Arunday Bajpai(for India and the World),D.D. Basu,Andrew and P.M. Bakshi's handy Indian Constituion.Then supplement it with IGNOU notes and other standard books.

P.S. i think PERSONAL INTEREST matters a lot in choosing an optional.so i would give you a friendly advice to take a glance on the syllabus of Political Science and International Relations and then analyse the last ten years question paper ,that will help you to develop a good strategy .

All the Best :)
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    @ambitieux thnx a lot man for such a detailed explaination.this book politics by andrew heywood is too costly if i am not wrong?is this the book

http://www.flipkart.com/politics-4-ed/p/itmczyxps34ygrgz?pid=9780230363380&ref=b1793b7c-37a9-4fb1-9e13-6cf788dda196&srno=s_6&otracker=from-search&query=politics andrew heywood

and if it is one then did u buy it or some ebook or from some library or what??i dont have such financial constraints but just want to make sure that its worth buying this

and as u said that first read books and then IGNOU material but i think BA and MA IGNOU material covers nearly whole syllabus.then why not to start with it and then reading some books.i dont have any knowledge about the subject so its just my view so please enlighten if its wrong.

and then there are truckloads of books available on this subject.so how should i decide my booklist?and should i move progressively like first doing one topic from different sources and then moving on to next or first covering all syllabus from a book each for different topics or IGNOU material.
    thanks
    ·
  • @oxford95 Here you go!

Heywood is all yours! :D
    pdf
    pdf
    Global Politics - Heywood.pdf
    6M
    ·
  • @oxford95 Here you go!

Heywood is all yours! :D
    @partho sir kitbaon ka khajana rakha hai aapne to. :D mast.

Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
    ·
  • @Partho thanks man but i am having this one.that book is different.this one is global politics and that one is politics by andrew heywood.to be precise the 42 mb book on gen.lib.rus.ec if you search andrew heywood.i have broaband connection but still whenever i start downloading,it stops after a while.so if u can download it then please upload it.thanks a lot man
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    @Partho
    Heywood's Politics and Global politics are 2 different books.
    ambiteux has recommended politics by Heywood not this one, but it wouldn harm having this one too.

Posted this a bit late, sorry for the redundancy. :(
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·

• http://www.flipkart.com/politics-4-ed/p/itmczyxps34ygrgz?pid=9780230363380&ref=b1793b7c-37a9-4fb1-9e13-6cf788dda196&srno=s_6&otracker=from-search&query=politics andrew heywood

and if it is one then did u buy it or some ebook or from some library or what??i dont have such financial constraints but just want to make sure that its worth buying this
    Dude,its the 4th edition,i had read its 3rd edition during my final year,its all about world politics viz. Comparative Politics,Asia Pacific Politics,African politics ,Russian and Post Soviet Politics etc.Its an awesome book,it the would help you in long run,but as we have less time left,i would suggest you to go with this book -"Global Politics-Andrew Heywood"(A great book for IR).

http://www.flipkart.com/global-politics/p/itmdyemyq2wgynys?pid=9781403989826&icmpid=reco_pp_same_book_book_8

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • @ambitieux thanks man.
    ·

• as u said that first read books and then IGNOU material but i think BA and MA IGNOU material covers nearly whole syllabus.then why not to start with it and then reading some books.i dont have any knowledge about the subject so its just my view so please enlighten if its wrong.

and then there are truckloads of books available on this subject.so how should i decide my booklist?and should i move progressively like first doing one topic from different sources and then moving on to next or first covering all syllabus from a book each for different topics or IGNOU material.
    thanks
    I said that because you have no background in pol sci,if u would directly jump into B.A. and M.A. IGNOU material,then there are high chances that you would start to lose interest .so my personal opinion is if you want to make a beautiful and unassailable palace then first make your foundation very very strong.Ignou will take you in deep sea water directly.

Now coming to your second ques:

Start with basic books,cover the whole syllabus once ,then start making your own notes.

·
  • @ambitieux ^:)^ thnx a lot man.
    i was thinking that IGNOU material will start from basics and books will be tough but its opposite.thnx again
    ·
  • @ambitieux bhai if you are having some e books on subject then can u please upload them?
    ·
  • edited March 2013
    @ambitieux thnaks a lot ,,,,one last q ,,,,whats ur say ,,for a beginner ,,no poli background ,, coaching or no coaching ?????
    suggest any good guidance instead ,, :)
    ·
  • @ambitieux bhai if you are having some e books on subject then can u please upload them?
    First of all,i am not a bhai,be gender sensitive :P

bdw soft copies are just not my cup of tea,i love hard copies :D

·
  • @ambitieux oh ok.i was asking for e books because maybe some of them like Baylis and Smith,Ronald H.Chilcote,heywood etc may not be available at book shops so i can printouts of the ebooks.but if you know some good book shop in delhi having all these books then plz do tell me because i remember when i was searching for IR books there were hardly any options in ORN and MN.may be jain book depot in cp or some others have these but not sure about it.
    ·
  • @ambitieux thnaks a lot ,,,,one last q ,,,,whats ur say ,,for a beginner ,,no poli background ,, coaching or no coaching ?????
    suggest any good guidance instead ,, :)
    its a personal choice man.but if any battle is going on b/w your heart and brain,then you can read a pol sci book(i assume u must be reading Laxmikant for PT).if u would feel ,you are comfortable with the subject then do not go for coaching and if it would be otherwise, then for guidance you can go with other option.

P.S. if you are going to appear in 2013 ,then think and plan properly. because in a very short duration of time (after pre) you will have to prepare all the papers.

·

First of all,i am not a bhai,be gender sensitive :P

bdw soft copies are just not my cup of tea,i love hard copies :D
    i beg you pardon mam.bhai-->>>behan :)
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog