ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

Commerce Optional for IAS 2015 | Official Doubts Thread

edited September 2015 in Commerce & Management
Exclusive for Commerce Optional

Comments

• What changes are required for Audit for Dec 2015 paper due to C.A-2013, please suggest sources as well.
  • Rankers class notes will be upgraded keeping in mind C.A. 2013. Keep looking for it.
    Manzil mile na mile ye to muqaddar ki baat hain, Hum koshish bhi na kare ye toh galat baat hain.
  • Rankers class notes will be upgraded keeping in mind C.A. 2013. Keep looking for it.
    Can we get that material at ORN, and

to what extent does the 2013 act will be applicable, i refer CA exams for the act application, so should we refer to May 2015 or Nov-2015 CA exams??
    Can we get that material at ORN, and

to what extent does the 2013 act will be applicable, i refer CA exams for the act application, so should we refer to May 2015 or Nov-2015 CA exams??
    No bro, shops at ORN provides the old material. I cannot say as it is not done in the classes yet. Will update you once it is done :)
    Manzil mile na mile ye to muqaddar ki baat hain, Hum koshish bhi na kare ye toh galat baat hain.
  • Sinha once said that for the betterment of Bond market, policy on withholding tax should be equalized,

please Comment,

Waise janta kum hai yaha but fir bhi umeed kayam hai. :)
  • hi guys,

good to see commerce guys over here.
    how about a quick intro ?
  • Uncoordinated withholding tax policy is a recurring source of uncertainty and cost
    for retail and institutional investors in corporate bond markets, and has a particularly
    deadening effect on retail markets. Unilateral withholding of tax from interest paid to
    foreign investors disadvantages those investors and so deters them from investing:
    at worst they cannot recover double tax, and at best there is a delay before they
    are reimbursed the excess tax paid. Either way, international investment is inhibited.

quoting from a report.. hope it helps:)
  • the point which sinha made was related to domestic bond investors are not treated equally in taxation hence its a barrier in the market participation, i just wanted to know the difference in taxation in these two classes of investors,

@Garry15 @hawkeyes23 @Confused_soul
  • Uncoordinated withholding tax policy is a recurring source of uncertainty and cost
    for retail and institutional investors in corporate bond markets, and has a particularly
    deadening effect on retail markets. Unilateral withholding of tax from interest paid to
    foreign investors disadvantages those investors and so deters them from investing:
    at worst they cannot recover double tax, and at best there is a delay before they
    are reimbursed the excess tax paid. Either way, international investment is inhibited.

quoting from a report.. hope it helps:)
    I think its on US bond market and published by CIMA, this report talks about the problems for foreign investors but Sinha was talking about the problems of domestic players and the discrimination they face.
  • For domestic investors , i read in the same report that there is a discrepancy in taxation as equity is taxed at 0% and bond interest is taxed at different rates of 10 and 20%,

so i guess smoothening of this tax discrepancy will attract retail indian investors.
  • For domestic investors , i read in the same report that there is a discrepancy in taxation as equity is taxed at 0% and bond interest is taxed at different rates of 10 and 20%,

so i guess smoothening of this tax discrepancy will attract retail indian investors.
    Please share the link of the report.
  • since the forum has a few serious commerce optional candidates, i was thinking if we can use it to carry on some discussions daily on current commerce topics ......since everybody does conventional topics... but this news related one can be discussed here....also we can post our doubts which will help us all cover the vast syllabus...please give your suggestions:)
  • Great Idea, I think paper two need more inclination towards the current happenings in the market, Paper one is almost entirely static in nature, please comment if am not getting it correctly.
  • @NikolaTesla Indeed Paper 1 is mostly static and every year different types of sums are given, for example in taxation, the head which was asked in previous 2-3 years has very minimal chance of repeating itself. Though theories may repeat themselves. analysis of past 5 years paper is important.
    And for paper 2, many questions are taken from current point of view, but that question's solution is mostly from static understanding of syllabus, we just need to answer them in current perspective with some relevant examples, and a few new terminologies can make their way into paper so for paper 2 current happenings is very much relevant.
    Go One step ahead or one Mile, But Keep Moving Forward
  • @NikolaTesla @Garry15 @hawkeyes23 , Hello Subject Mates, :-h
    Are you all from Commerce backgrounds? :-?
    What are various sources you people are referring to/ from for preparation? :-B
    Any one of you joined coaching classes?
  • @Confused_soul
    Bro i joined postal course of Rankers, They said it is enough for preparation.
    Do they use notes in classes or there are any other sources? and is it possible to get class notes of Rankers? :-??
  • @Confused_soul
    Bro i joined postal course of Rankers, They said it is enough for preparation.
    Do they use notes in classes or there are any other sources? and is it possible to get class notes of Rankers? :-??
    Bhai, I haven't joined for p2 as it is doable. But sir do uses those notes and discuss the analytical question mentioned in the end of every chapter.

One thing is appreciable that he keeps updating his notes.
  • @Confused_soul
    Agreed that P2 is doable, But Rankers note are very brief and to the point and only relevant topics are there, i have many other books which are more bulky than 2-3 topics notes combined :-w
    By the way what they say about the optional in classes? i personaly feel papr 1 more marks fetching.
    And what is your strategy regarding tackling paper 2's intense love with current happenings???
  • @Confused_soul
    Agreed that P2 is doable, But Rankers note are very brief and to the point and only relevant topics are there, i have many other books which are more bulky than 2-3 topics notes combined :-w
    By the way what they say about the optional in classes? i personaly feel papr 1 more marks fetching.
    And what is your strategy regarding tackling paper 2's intense love with current happenings???
    Actually, i got to know now only that we have to cover current happenings too for paper 2. :P i will be asking this question from Sir in the next class.

Now, i am confused whether i should simply follow rankers notes and focus of revising and re-revising. Parth gautam(240 marks) relied on ranker notes only whereas Raj karan aggarwal (272 marks) relied on various other books too.

And definitely, paper 1 is more marks fetching due to numerical thing
  • Thats just matter of a question or two, which raj karan got right more than parth gautam.
    For papr 2 current happenings part, most questions quote some incidences or headings and then ask to relate static concept ...so understanding questions requirement is key to deciphering the expected answer, and this can be understood easily with help of R.S Agrawal sir @ Rankers only :-<
    But i think Rankers Notes are more than sufficient for Paper 1 , i have seen many ICAI IPCE level books and notes, which are of relatively higher difficulty than of UPSC CSE Commerce optional papr 1. So no need to focus on other books, re-re-revising is key....according to me...notes can be relied upon for both papers, and some HRM and other stream journals or websites for doses of current happenings
  • Bhaio, what source can we refer for paper 2 current affairs, all are paid, any magazine free in e version??? ike front line
  • Thats just matter of a question or two, which raj karan got right more than parth gautam.
    For papr 2 current happenings part, most questions quote some incidences or headings and then ask to relate static concept ...so understanding questions requirement is key to deciphering the expected answer, and this can be understood easily with help of R.S Agrawal sir @ Rankers only :-<
    But i think Rankers Notes are more than sufficient for Paper 1 , i have seen many ICAI IPCE level books and notes, which are of relatively higher difficulty than of UPSC CSE Commerce optional papr 1. So no need to focus on other books, re-re-revising is key....according to me...notes can be relied upon for both papers, and some HRM and other stream journals or websites for doses of current happenings
    I second that bro. :)
  • i have also joined rankers postal course .....and i feel it is sufficient with one standard book for deeper study....for current topics there is variation every year since last year paper was almost direct from books and static but 2013 one was terrifying... what about analysing previous year questions on this forum for strategising how to solve out of the box ques.... 2013 many ques of financial markets was directly picked from eco times headlines....and what sources r u using for paper 1 numerical practice
  • i have also joined rankers postal course .....and i feel it is sufficient with one standard book for deeper study....for current topics there is variation every year since last year paper was almost direct from books and static but 2013 one was terrifying... what about analysing previous year questions on this forum for strategising how to solve out of the box ques.... 2013 many ques of financial markets was directly picked from eco times headlines....and what sources r u using for paper 1 numerical practice
    I guess RS aggarwal sir will be providing current affairs material in the last.
  • @Anurag_2014, Are you a CA? I've heard that for CAs commerce optional is like a cake walk because they are masters in practical part and they have understanding of business which helps in Paper II as well.

Kindly keep on guiding us. Seniors like you and @radhey are boon to us. @radhey please throw some inputs as well from your side. It has been long since our last talk.
  • @Doon_20 What about you? :-? And about question whether im a CA :D then No I am not CA, and not even experienced senior [-X , i am just 23, completed B. B. A and opting Distance from Symbiosis for MBA HR, and currently working as Asst. HR manager :)>- in a textile firm, in Surat Gujarat.

I am familiar with IPCE, which is second stage of CA as many friends opted for CA, our Paper 1 has much syllabus similarity with whole IPCE syllabus, Like of IT, FM, Costing, Audit, AS, Accounting and some from MBA and i found it over all much easier to opt Commerce than common subjects Pub. Ad. and sociology etc......and difficulty level of paper is less than CA level, but syllabus is diverse indeed, so u require thorough understanding of Subject. Many questions were even of Class XII level like of shares and final accounts, and questions from other sectors were also of reasonable difficulty.

I am familiar with Paper 2 as well as i have studied about many topics in grads at college...like OB, HRM, OT...so its not that difficult..i love these topics so it will be fun.

If one gets good with practical area, he may expect 200-220+ easily out of 500
  • @Doon_20 like @Confused_soul said current will be focused even by classes at last,
    I would Suggest to focus on Static portion as of now, we will not be able to answer any current based question without good hold on static portion
  • @Garry15 Bhai what is your background? and How much materials you received till now? Like notes on which topics, i feel Rankers will provide good enough amount of questions for practice, if you want to practice more, you can always find IPCE books on same topics that you want to practice. it is easily available, and accounts can be done much from NCERT accountancy books
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog