Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Modern Indian History                                         (2) Environment & Ecology
(3) Polity, Current Affairs & Govt. Schemes            (4)Budget & Economic survey
(5) Geography with MCQ's                                        (6) Important Current Affairs
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

What are the three most important qualities in an administrator?

edited March 2013 in Interview Preparation
What do you think are the three most important qualities in an administrator? Give succinct answers, with reasons.
*No good deed goes unpunished*

Comments

• edited March 2013
    What do you think are the three most important qualities in an administrator? Give succinct answers, with reasons.
    @Neyawn,

If u've asked this question keeping the interview in mind, these are my 3,

1. Efficiency.
    2. Honesty.
    3. Commitment.

But then they can be something else too, these are very subjective topics.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    Reasons,

1. Efficiency- The administrator needs to get the work done. Empathy/Sympathy stuff is good, but doesnt help to deal with hunger, shelter etc.

2. Honesty- A must, otherwise he might start using the situations to his advantage. Welfare of the ppl might get neglected.

3. Commitment- Sense of responsibility is very imp. If an adminstrator doesnt feel responsible for his actions, he might grow callous and casual(not good).
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    1. Efficiency
    2. Commitment (including honesty)
    3. Sociability (including being a good conversations)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • Man management
    Man management
    Man management
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • Man management
    Man management
    Man management
    ;)
    Do we have a future buffett here? ;)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • @abhinrao24 Ha, honestly though, from what I have observed - you can be any type of administrator, in the end it comes down to how effectively you can manage your workforce whilst delivering the required results.It's all about results in private sector, and I want that cut throat culture in Public offices. Not compete with fellow departments per se but compete in delivering what's being targeted every year.
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • Just rephrasing @PoliceWala here,

There are many qualities essential for an Administrator, but the 3 most important one in my opinion are:

1. Interpersonal Skills.
    2. Adeptness in Handling social issues.
    3. Having a broad frame of mind, Not having a tunnel vision.
  • @abhinrao24 Ha, honestly though, from what I have observed - you can be any type of administrator, in the end it comes down to how effectively you can manage your workforce whilst delivering the required results.It's all about results in private sector, and I want that cut throat culture in Public offices. Not compete with fellow departments per se but compete in delivering what's being targeted every year.
    I agree with your idea, even if not completely, to a great extent.

But I think your ans needs to be toned down a bit, lil bit, very lil. :P ;)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • Observation & Curiosity: Ability to observe things around, for eg: When you go to a place, you must be by default interested in knowing about the place, etc.. Only when you know about the place and people you will understand the issues and solve them. So, curiosity is important together with observation.

Idealist mindset You should have an ideal mindset. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealist_temperament. This is important because, you will do your duty than doing politics, which is expected of an administrator. For example: When government takes a decision, you should wholeheartedly implement them, point to issues before.

Adaptive You need to be adaptive to new technologies, to new ideas and see how you can use them to improve administration.

BTW, are you appearing for interview?
  • 3 qualities, 9 replies :-)
    @Sridhar Yes I am.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Efficiency
    Intellectual curiosity
    Integrity
    Fearless
    Visionary

Sorry couldn't eliminate any. @-)
    When Kafka wrote The Trial, he had the UPSC in mind!
  • edited March 2013
    UPSC talks so much about ethics yet it gives all the lies when asked on pattern change.Needless to say its non-transparent and subjective way of functioning.Hypocrisy is the cornerstone of an efficient bureaucrat.
    1.hypocrisy/lies
    2.politically affiliated to the powerful yet putting up a politically neutral facade
    3.subjectivity
    4.Non-transparency

btw I a now an bad bureaucrat as im being honest.Hoping some day ill become a good bureaucrat..survival of fittest
    Ex-railwayman,Indian Police service
  • edited March 2013
    Quoting from the new pattern:
    Aptitude & Foundational values for Civil Service:

Integrity, Impartiality & Non Partisanship, Objectivity, Dedication to public service, Empathy, Tolerance & Compassion toward weaker sections.
  • a) Accountability
    b) Iron-will
    c) Impartiality
  • a) Accountability
    b) Iron-will
    c) Impartiality
    in an ideal word though....not possible in the real world...
  • a) Accountability
    b) Iron-will
    c) Impartiality
    in an ideal word though....not possible in the real world...
    May be that's why UPSC has included this Paper (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude) in the Mains Examination :P

• IMO
    1) Honesty

2) Rationality

3) Commitment
    What though the field be lost
    All is not lost
    The unconquerable will and the courage
    Never to submit or yield- Zahiruddin Babar
  • helo..............i have a question..how will u explain to the board that though u are from northern state but u chose a southern state as ur first choice....the real reason is very personal to tell the board....n u dont have any command over southindian languge...please help my friend\
  • 1. Keeping your mouth shut at the right time
    2. Acting when it's the right time
    3. Understanding this right time and situation (one should be a good observer of the situation and dynamics)

Impact can only be created if your administration can bear any fruit for people you want to serve. If you are torn down before you can do anything. What's the point !
    CSE-2013 | Cracked :)
    It's the personality, we bring to the exam preparation, which differentiates us
  • to @all,

is "practicality" the most important quality an administrator should have?....
  • edited March 2013
    helo..............i have a question..how will u explain to the board that though u are from northern state but u chose a southern state as ur first choice....the real reason is very personal to tell the board....n u dont have any command over southindian languge...please help my friend\
    @toodifficult
    Looks like you've put yourself in a too difficult situation. ;)
    Just kidding. :P

As far as the ans goes,
    First of all you need to keep in mind that no matter what preferences you give, it is the dopt that assigns the cadres, & one cant have much say about it in the legal manner(with an exception with cadre change based on marrying fellow civil servant).

So, you can say this,
    Being in that state was my childhood dream(sort of a fantasy) as was being an civil servant(I guess you'll be ready to handle this part, why do you want to be a civil servant? etc etc).
    Bcos some reason supporting your childhood dream(you need to be good at cooking here ;) stories I mean ;) ), like if its kerala, you always dreamt of spending time on those beautiful beaches during leisure etc.
    But I'm aware of my duties and rules of posting, so I'll go wherever I'm posted & will give my 100%. However if I'm asked about my preferences, it will be as written in the form, just to follow my dreams(or whatever suits ur story). :)

Hope this helps. :)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    to @all,

I would say, Practicality along with Utilitarianism, would be v imp, not practicality alone.
    Otherwise there are many options which are practical, but benefit, almost no one(from the targeted group), or even if they do benefit, it'll be a group of very selected few.

What's your view? Anything spl that made you ask this question?
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • to @all,

I would say, Practicality along with Utilitarianism, would be v imp, not practicality alone.
    Otherwise there are many options which are practical, but benefit, almost no one(from the targeted group), or even if they do benefit, it'll be a group of very selected few.
    What's your view? Anything spl that made you ask this question?
    imo a practical administrator would take a step only when he is sure enough that it benefits atleast the majority(here is where his practcality will play a part in taking a decison)....i asked this question because many times while taking tough decisions emotions may come in the way of an administrator taking the decision... just thought that only if an administrator has that quality of being practical can he go against the poplular trends to bring about a change in the flow of events and inefficient procedures for good....
  • abhinrao24.....thanks for valuable input....i think they can further ask abu those states which i v little idea abu......just asking if i cd tell them the truth that i have plans to get settled there with my lifepartner...its really a too difficult situ...........i mean they might think i might b some non serious candidates.....wot say???
  • HEY..... doesnt matter means what.......is that a futile exercise ......please point me to some link where i can get informations about cadre allocation.......
  • @abhi4046
    Going against popular trend is not considered practical bro.
    It requires a lot of courage, commitment & conviction. :)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    abhinrao24.....thanks for valuable input....i think they can further ask abu those states which i v little idea abu......just asking if i cd tell them the truth that i have plans to get settled there with my lifepartner...its really a too difficult situ...........i mean they might think i might b some non serious candidates.....wot say???
    @toodifficult
    Yeah telling them this truth, about getting settled with your life partner, doesnt look like a very good idea to me(even if ur partner was a civil servant).

Reason,
    See idealistically speaking, public services need a lot of commitment, & balancing public n pvt life might get difficult. If u see the popular mass leaders, very few had an enviable personal life(actually I'm not aware of anyone like that).

So if you say, you're already having some personal preferences/commitments, Its like you've tacitly given your job the 2nd priority.

But then if you're really very serious about your personal life, with your present partner, you decide which is your top priority & frame the answer accordingly.

PS: This ans might look too dry & insensitive to your feelings. But let me tell you I was trying my best to help you frame your answer.
    Try getting diff opinions, not necessarily from this forum, but from your friends & family also.

Hope this helps. :)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    HEY..... doesnt matter means what.......is that a futile exercise ......please point me to some link where i can get informations about cadre allocation.......
    @toodifficult
    Its not totally futile, its a preference only.
    If your prefered cadre is vacant, while your rank is being allocated you'll get that I guess.
    Not very sure about these things, but thats all what I could understand from all the things I've heard till date.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    @toodifficult
    Forgot to mention about handling the state questions of your pref in the last post.
    If you're not telling the truth, consider this,
    Do some research on that state, waise bhi home state pe bhi toh unke questions ans karne ke liye log research hi karke jaate he.
    Tum apne state ke baare mein research karo, aur aapke partner ko uske state ke baare mein research karke aapko padhane ke liye bolo ;) padhai bhi ho jayegi aur relnship bhi maintain/mazboot ho jayega, double benefit. :) ;) :P
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • wo
    @abhi4046
    Going against popular trend is not considered practical bro.
    It requires a lot of courage, commitment & conviction. :)
    @abhinrao24
    Would a non-practical person have the courage to do whats right for a situation bro?...only a practical person would do whats practically required for a situation seeing the situation from all angles than just following the popular trends....imo practical persons are the trend setters though others may not agree..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog