Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
(7) 200 Most Important Topics for UPSC CSE Prelims 2018
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

What is the difference between Integrity & Honesty?

edited March 2013 in Interview Preparation
What is the difference between Integrity & Honesty? Please give your views.
*No good deed goes unpunished*

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Honesty- Marked by or displaying integrity. (Equitable, Fair).

Integrity- Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.

Reference- Farlex free dictionary. I have chosen the meanings selectively, to show the reln.

Hope it helps.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    One more difference,

Honesty- +ve integrity, usually integrity regarding fairness, virtousness etc.

Integrity- Neutral concept I guess, Neither +ve nor -ve in itself, just strong adherence to principles.

ex:
    A terrorist might not be honest, but might display integrity.
    Kasab- lied-dishonest.
    Dint let his country to be shamed-integrity.

PS: I know we should avoid scandulous names, but I used it here, coz I thought it explains the concept well. Sorry for that.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for your answer :-) Looking for something more here. @Partho @alexiaaicha ?
  • edited March 2013
    @Neyawn Honesty is a part of Integrity (As economists say, an essential but not a sufficient condition). Integrity is a wider concept, it involves not only words but also actions! Actions which are morally & ethically correct. One can be honest by saying " Yes I took a bribe" but is taking a bribe morally/ethically correct? The question of integrity comes here, taking bribe & indulging in other corrupt practices questions a person's integrity.

I hope, this did not confuse you more! ;)
  • One last line: Honesty to self is the path to integrity!
  • @Neyawn these are my thoughts on it:

1. Honesty includes integrity. Integrity according to me is just a subset of honesty.

2. Honesty is like the universal set and it includes within itself concept of 'ahimsa'/non-violence as well. Being truthful leads to ahimsa, as when you are truthful in your thoughts, actions and speech you will hurt a person less. For example one can be dishonest and steal something that belongs to another person, and the loss of this thing for the other person may bring in pain/sorrow/misery. Your actions have thus led to a situation where you have hurt another person - himsa. Being honest on the other hand will lead to ahimsa. (Small example. Also you could see Jainism on Ahimsa and Honesty for more elaborate answer. This is just a reference point to build on.)

3. Honesty is the foundation of everything.

4. Integrity is being consistent with your actions and holding true to your mettle and virtues, being gentle in your approach and not being hurtful to others. Thus, integrity becomes a subset of honesty, because in this case you are being honest to yourself about what you believe in, and holding true to it continuously. In my humble opinion integrity is a specific case of honesty.

I hope this helps :D
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
  • Thanks both of you :-)
    Will frame an answer out of what you just said.
  • @Neyawn, I think this question was asked once in a upsc interview. I can't quite recall but it was discussed in mohapatra sir or pawan sir's class.
    How I understood it was as this: honesty is an ethical value (more than a moral concept) and can be practiced in any setup or situation. But integrity, which too is subsumed by ethics becomes relevant in an organisational structure where one's ethically correct actions should not literally affect the integrity of the system or organisation. For eg. If a civil servant refuses to sign on an illegal document, he's being honest but if he chooses to reveal it to the media he's not practicing the value of integrity. But if he chooses to blow the whistle using the legally provided mechanism in the service, he'll be practicing integrity as well.

This is what I can recall. I might be wrong though.
  • A person is said to possess integrity when his actions conform to his principles (conscience). When people submit to corruption they act against their principles. They take bribes after quashing that still voice which nags them.
    Honesty is just one way of manifestation of integrity.
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • edited March 2013
    A person is said to possess integrity when his actions conform to his principles (conscience). When people submit to corruption they act against their principles. They take bribes after quashing that still voice which nags them.
    Honesty is just one way of manifestation of integrity.
    But I guess a person can be both honest and with integrity, can have neither or either.

So the idea of honesty as a way of manifestation of integrity, is troubling me.
    I'm falling short of words to communicate what exactly I'm thinking.

One more dimension is that,
    Honesty is more concerned with popular view I guess(truthfulness etc)
    Integrity is more of personal choices I guess, being logically consistent with ones ideals(which are very subjective).

PS: I found both of them being used interchangebly at many places. Confusing me further.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • @abhinrao24
    I understand your dilemma :) You are right in saying that integrity & honesty are used interchangeably. They sure are!
    The reason for confusion is their dynamic nature. "Once an honest person always an honest one" does not hold true here.

If we take the example of some person who has been indicted of corruption, we cannot conclude that the person was never honest in his life or that he will never be honest. Every human being possesses certain values/ethics which guide his/her action. But merely possessing those values does not make him/her a person of integrity. What matters is whether the person concerned has the courage to act according to his values & say no to temptation.

Yes a person of integrity may decide not to be honest in a particular situation. It all depends on him. He may decide that he would be at an advantage if he is not honest. Hence, measuring integrity & honesty is very difficult due to their subjective nature.
  • edited March 2013
    duplicate post
  • @khajoor
    Thanks a lot for the expln! :)
    Your words were very close to what was in my mind. :)
    Thanks. :)
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • ‘integrity’ is putting the obligations of public service above your own personal interests;

‘honesty’ is being truthful and open
    Indian Foreign Service | Career Diplomat
  • honesty+morality +integrity
  • Honesty is about being true to the beliefs of oneself and that of the others.. The former is separately also called as integrity..
    There is no exact true or false in social life.. there are only expectations, beliefs.. If I am true to your beliefs, I am being honest as per you.. But if my beliefs are just the opposite, I am being dishonest to me.. Hence its all about reference with a person's belief.. now take an example..
    integrity means acting upon a consistence set of beliefs.. that is being honest to oneself.. It is the opposite of hypocrisy.. so if someone believes that speaking a lie might be good, he will lie and still show integrity.. Though to the person he lies, he is no longer honest..
    What if a person does not lies to save a life even though he believes that lying is good to save a life? Then he is being honest with the others but not with himself.. Hence showing honesty but not integrity.. so bus reference ka difference hai..
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
  • edited April 2015
    Integrity is derived from latin word Integer which is defined as whole and complete. Integrity speaks of the entire character of the person, a person of integrity say what they mean and do what they say. They are consistent with their words and actions. Honesty is telling the truth and Integrity is keeping promises, fullfilling expectations.
    one of the ways to manifest integrity is to be loyal to those who are not present. when you defend those who are absent you retain the trust of those present. Honesty is doing the right thing in front of people. Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.
    Integrity also means avoiding any communication that is deceptive, misleading if we have integrity our intent can't be to deceive.
    Who'll take my work,
    asks the setting sun,
    none has an answer in the whole silent world,
    The earthen lamp says humbly from a corner
    " I'll my lord, as best as i can "

- Tagore
  • edited April 2015
    @chills_1 you gave the right example, when we use substandard material in building we say that building's integrity has been compromised in the same way a persons integrity is compromised when his words and actions are inconsistent with the morals, values and principles. so in your example police compromised on public service values hence displayed lack of integrity in character.
    Who'll take my work,
    asks the setting sun,
    none has an answer in the whole silent world,
    The earthen lamp says humbly from a corner
    " I'll my lord, as best as i can "

- Tagore
  • What is Probity?...n how it is different from these two, i.e Integrity and Honesty?
    Is dfa mains mein yhi 'Probity' wala question chhoda h...
  • Ye Ethics ka ppr G.S.-4 sala sbse bkwas ppr h is exam mein...........Case study ka part zarur ek achha initiative h baki to... jo jitni achha bataule-baazi kr leta ho uske marks utne achhe......
    And Mr. Pavneet of Vajiram & Ravi, during explanation session of Mains Test series in Oct-Nov. 2014, was bluntly right........Jiske marks Ethics m jitne zyada achhe, wo utna hi zyada corrupt.
  • Integrity these days is also defined as person's ability to perform under/for a particular system.

Not sounding too negative, in the appraisal reports of IAS Officers' those who are found not obeying the orders from the top are deemed as having low integrity, even though they might have performed their duties with Honesty.
  • edited April 2015
    Integrity, Honesty , Transparency , and all those Bhaari bharkam words =

YE sab Mains me likhne ki liye aur Interview me bolne me bade acche lagte hain yaar.... ;)) ;)) ;))
  • Whats the hindi word for Integrity?
  • edited April 2015
    @phillipmethew
    सत्यनिष्ठा (in the current context, integrity as a personality trait, not 100% sure though)
    अखंडता (as in unity and integrity of India)
  • What is Probity?...n how it is different from these two, i.e Integrity and Honesty?
    Is dfa mains mein yhi 'Probity' wala question chhoda h...
    Probity is the evidence of ethical behavior and thus includes honesty, integrity and uprightness. Thus probity is the honesty and integrity in action

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog