ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

[Peer Review] Sociology | Answer Writing | Mains 2013 Discussion

Comments

• @ALL
    Till weber is compiled and if i am not mistaken 10 answers are there so somebody has not answered as in 2 more should be there.
    Parsons no body has answered so nothing to compile.

Thank you
  • @aman8770
    how to open pdf file of parsons and merton as it is password protected. wats the password?
  • @himanshu_Gupta
    It's protected to save my self from any copyright violations anyway are you appearing in CSM 2013 ?
    if yes become the member of our answer writing group and write one answer regularly for your own benefit (will get the access to my answers immediately)
    If you are appearing in for next year you need not have to worry about after CSM2013 the access will be given to everyone appearing for next year so that they can get benefited with our efforts in Sociology.

So please see what is your priority.

Thank You
  • @ALL
    Today is holiday or what no new answer .
    Is that because of yesterday panic of Current Affair?
    Or people don't want to write any more??
  • @ALL
    Check socio answer folder for 15th sept The Hindu notes
    It took me 5 hour to complete that which includes all the articles of 15th to be read and important to be made notes of including some good articles for essay.
    That is one way of doing it another way can be of categorising articles according to the syllabus and keep it one folder and read it and make notes for that we need only green articles as can be seen in the notes.

Thank You
  • @aman8770
    ur doc is quite comprehensive,covering everything which we generally miss out and on which upsc ask questions.
  • hello friensa.i am a newbee in dis vicious circle of civil services.i am highly confused whether to join mahapatra sir or upendra sir?keepin in mind dat i will join vajiram for GS...pls reply
  • please tell me ...upendra sir or mahapatra sir?
  • @ALL
    last year two more question was there from art and culture
    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/remembering-the-bard-of-brahmaputra/article2640998.ece
    bagurumba folk dance
    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/remembering-laurie-baker/article3959589.ece
    Laurie Baker
    This concludes the art and culture section of UPSC with previous two question link posted above.
    Now either read the Hindu or read spectrum
    You decide yourself

Thank you
  • @ALL
    Bagurumba folk dance was a 2 marks question and enough to know that it is performed by bodo community and was performed recently on the xyz function
    Lauri Baker was a 5 marks question enough is given to answer the question
    last two question similarly see the marks assigned and information given.

Thank you
  • Only one question of musical instruments was there which do not need spectrum to answer it neither The Hindu .
  • I know abt this forum today only.. i cleared prelims.. My opinion on Arts and Culture.. The hindu is key to tackle this.. i prepared notes for june and july and i would like to contribute.. and i also want to know about IR plan i would like to contribute for tat too.. My option is sociology.. i want to join discussion grp.. can anyone help me ..
  • @ All
    I am not getting sociology q bank by vishal publications,I searched on several online stores but did not get it please provide the link of store where its available
    Thanks
  • edited September 2013
    @ALL
    Art and Culture will be done from The Hindu .
    IT will be done in a single day
    Those who want to contribute
    Please send me a message .in forumias inbox

Thank you
  • edited September 2013
    21. What is “social action”? What is its place in the analytical frameworks of Max Weber and Talcott Parsons?

“Social action”, as a concept was first developed by Max Weber, in fact his entire sociology, if taken on the face value, was based on his conception of social action. He differentiated between action and purely reactive behaviour. The reactive behavior is a response of the actor to a stimulus without giving any thought process attached to it, whereas a social action was an based on a thought process (and the meaningful action). Weber says, an action becomes social when it takes into account the reactions of the other members of the society and Sociologists should be concerned with interpretation of the “meanings” given by the actors to their actions. It was further proposed that for understanding the “meanings” and “motives” could be achieved through “Verstehen”, that is imagining yourself in the position of the person you were seeking to explain. Weber has used the ideal type methodology to clarify the meaning of actions.

i)Means-end rationality : Actions determined by the expectations of the objects in the environment and of other human beings; these expectations are used as “means” and “conditions” for attainment of actor’s own rationally pursued and calculated ends.

ii)Value rationality: Actions determined by a conscious belief in the value for its own sake of some ethical, aesthetic,religious or other forms of behavior , independently of if its prospects of success.

iii)Affectual action: Action based on the emotional state of the individual(was his little concern, as it could be called a reactive response)

iv)Traditional action: determined by actor’s habitual and customary ways of behaving (was of far greater concern to Weber)

Although, Weber had started with his emphasis on social action, but it has been argued by C.Wright Mills that he actually paid little attention to the mental process. However, the work of Weber laid foundation for the development of theories of individuals and their behavior-symbolic interactionism, ethnomethodology and so forth, within the realm of sociology.

Talcott Parsons, took the work of weber and combined it Durkheim’s and Freud’s to make his grand theory of “pattern variables”. Social action, to him was not specifically shaped by “subjective meanings”, as propounded by Weber. He took the normative approach to it and argued that meanings can be known by cultural norms and here he approach was getting closer to Durkheim’s.

On the basis of his normative approach he proposed 5 pattern variables, which shaped the social action of the individuals and in this way, how these values of lead to evolution of the society:

Pattern variables A -----------------------------------------------Pattern variables B

Ascription (ascribed status)---------------------------------------Achievement(status is achieved)
    Diffuseness(Relationships with other serving many needs)-----Specificity (Serving particular needs)
    Particylarism(different behaviour to different behaviour)-------Universalism(similar behaviour)
    Affectivity(Immediate gratification)------------------------------Effective neautrality(Differed gratification)
    Collective orientation(Groups’ interest before individual’s)------Self orientation(Individual first)

So, Parsons moved from “Voluntarism” of “social action” to “cultural determinism”. But,as he was a structural functionalist, he further refined his analysis and proposed the AGIL schema, as to how the society on the whole was able to achieve “social equilibrium” or a state of social stability.

Here, four kinds of functional prerequisite we proposed by him, about which the social action of the individuals were shaped and which helped in achieving the state of “social equilibrium” .

i)Adaptation- Adaptability of the “social system” with the environment
    ii)Goal attainment- System gets goal oriented
    iii)Integration- Integration of the subsystems with each other and the system.
    iv)Latency (Pattern maintenance)-This is achieved by way of socialization by family, religion also plays a key part.

So, it can be seen that “Social action” was subjected to “Subjective meanings” of the individuals to Weber, whereas Parsons, developed a full-fledged structural-functional perspective around the concept of social action.
  • edited September 2013
    16. What does R.K.Merton admit mean when he admits that not everything works out for the best for everyone in the society? What is his improvement on functional theory?

R.K.Merton was a functionalist, but rather took the critical view of the assumption of the functionalists, that every subsystem or institution in the society is “functional” or works for the orderliness in the society and hence is good for the society, only in order to refine and improve functionalism. Merton was critical of functionalists before him on three fronts:

i) Functional Unity: Any part of the social system was “functional” for the entire system; all the parts of the social system seem to work together for the maintenance and integration of society. He critised this assumption and cited the example of religious pluralism as a case in point.

He remarked that “functional unity” was a matter of extent and fuicntionlists should not set out with this assumption. One should test the utility of the subsystem then come to any conclusion

ii)”Function”, “Dysfunction” and “Non-function”: The postulate of “universal functionalism”, which stated that all the systems are “functional” for the system. He critised the assumption as exhorted that some of the systems may be “functional”, dysfunctional or “nonfunctional” for the society; Units for which the system was functional must be emphasized as in , “which unit of the society is getting befitted from the system e.g. Poverty – it was dysfunctional for the poor but functional for the rich and the society. He

iii) Indispensability: He criticized the indispensability of certain social institutions and subsystems as in they were indispensable for the society. He questioned the indispensability of institutions like religion, whose function could have been served by communism.

So, as is evident, he tried to remove the “ideological bias” of functionalists and emphasized that the “function” of the system and subsystems should be evaluated in terms of “effects” and “consequences” for the units e.g. individuals and groups as well as for the society
  • edited September 2013
    Allotments for today

M1. Q.no. 1 (of Mead-4f)
    Kinship system
    M2. Q.no. 1
    M3. Qno. 2
    M4: Q.no. 4
    M5: Q.no. 8
    M6: Q.no. 12

@all pl finish the all the pending answers by tomorrow evening. No slippages from now on please.
    @VIN5589 if you want to be a part of the group, you may attempt Q.no. 16

• @ All
    I am not getting sociology q bank by vishal publications,I searched on several online stores but did not get it please provide the link of store where its available
    Thanks
    It's available here
    www.jawahar-book-centre.com , but they are late in delivering
  • edited September 2013
    Critically analyse the contributions of G. H. Mead to 'symbolic interactionism' ? (10/I/4a/30)

G.H. Mead was the founder of pragmatism and pioneered in the development of symbolic interaction a major framework of sociological theory . This perspective relies on the symbolic meaning that people develop and rely upon in the process of social interaction , though it can be traced it's origin to Max Weber assertions that individual act according to their interpretation of the meaning of their world .

Symbolic Interaction theory analyzes society by addressing the subjective meanings that people impose on objects , events and behaviors . Subjective meanings are given primacy because it's believe that people behave based on what they want to believe rather than what's is objectively true . Thus , society is thought to be socially constructed through human interpretation . People interpret one another behavior and it is these interpretations that from the social bond . These interpretation are called “definition of situation “ For example, why would young people smoke cigarettes even when all objective medical evidence points to the dangers of doing so? The answer is in the definition of the situation that people create. Studies find that teenagers are well informed about the risks of tobacco, but they also think that smoking is cool, that they themselves will be safe from harm, and that smoking projects a positive image to their peers. So, the symbolic meaning of smoking overrides that actual facts regarding smoking and risk.
  • @ALL
    All the group member who become dormant to answer writing
    Please see simple calculation and analyse what i am saying honestly
    This exercise will not go further than 30 to 35 days if we regularly keep answering the questions
    Now you people may be busy with GS so let me become very frank
    It do not take 1 to max 1.5 hour to answer depending upon number and difficulty of question
    Now you save 30*1.5=45 hours by not doing it and will devote it to GS.
    So 45 hours of GS=Return of 10 to 15 marks if you are lucky and gets question from what you read that too directly (Honestly speaking in GS you can not guarantee this much also given the trend of UPSC)
    and 45 hours of optional=No need to say has a potential to give you 25 to 35 marks as you will revising and answer writing on regular basis

I am not saying don't read GS what i am saying don't ignore optional where you can go up to 60% which is almost impossible in any GS paper so guys decide yourself it doesn't take much to answer single question a day.

Thank You
  • @All
    New people who had shown interest here of GS The Hindu work please drop a message containing your email ID in my forumias inbox.
    Also i request my group members to see my post at my another thread as in it will not take more than 2 hour if done in a group and yes the group will not be a large one but a limited membership people.So if anybody wants to join message me .

Thank You
  • Critically analyse the contributions of G. H. Mead to 'symbolic interactionism' ? (10/I/4a/30)

G.H. Mead was the founder of pragmatism and pioneered in the development of symbolic interaction a major framework of sociological theory . This perspective relies on the symbolic meaning that people develop and rely upon in the process of social interaction , though it can be traced it's origin to Max Weber assertions that individual act according to their interpretation of the meaning of their world .

Symbolic Interaction theory analyzes society by addressing the subjective meanings that people impose on objects , events and behaviors . Subjective meanings are given primacy because it's believe that people behave based on what they want to believe rather than what's is objectively true . Thus , society is thought to be socially constructed through human interpretation . People interpret one another behavior and it is these interpretations that from the social bond . These interpretation are called “definition of situation “ For example, why would young people smoke cigarettes even when all objective medical evidence points to the dangers of doing so? The answer is in the definition of the situation that people create. Studies find that teenagers are well informed about the risks of tobacco, but they also think that smoking is cool, that they themselves will be safe from harm, and that smoking projects a positive image to their peers. So, the symbolic meaning of smoking overrides that actual facts regarding smoking and risk.
    do you want to be a part of this answer writing exercise? If yes, then you will have to write the answers regularly , for which allotments are done almost everyday.
  • @preeti27 @horizon_21 @maestro @shkk . Guys what has happened to everyone? The entire activity has come to a halt. Kindly, submit your respective pending answers... asap :-)

Thank you
  • @vayam
    i will contribute to this thread

• @Cyrus_A
    As M 1 has gone outstation so @Cyrus_A
    will do M 1 assignment.

Thank you
  • @Cyrus_A Also, it will be your turn to allocate the questions for the next assignment
    1 question per member

Thank you
  • guys please help me ..i wanna be a part of this activity badly..but i havent yet started sociology..started my prep from mid july for 14. i have cn shankar rao texts..please guide me so that i can be a part of this activity as soon as possible..
  • Q NO 2 Show how family is distinct from household.

In simple terms family is based on the principles of kinship whose members usually share a common residence. The residential unit of which is known as household. Alternatively Household can be defined as a residential and domestic unit composed of one or more person living under the same roof and eating food cooked in the same kitchen.

Thus household is a commensal and co resident group and can be differentiated by family on the basis of kin and residence rules.

Now as the family is universal so is the household .Under the forces of modernization family is going under societal and structural changes and it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate family from household.

Sociologist like shah study this as developmental cycle where a household goes under progression/regression on the basis of birth, marriage and death, divorce and separation of members over a period of time thus becomes a kind of family. Thus per se household is neither joint nor nuclear family but become either of these by virtue of it’s progression and regression.

Feminist sociologist on the other hand refuse to accept the notion of family and see it as the product of patriarchy thus give credence to household.

In case of Indian society industrialization, urbanization has brought structural changes in the joint family system and given rise to household in place of nuclear family.

Thus it is said that family should be studied from household perspective to understand it’s dynamics going beyond joint nuclear debate and even though household is only a structural unit it has played very important role in understanding the dynamics of modern family.
  • @Cyrus_A
    you need to give assignment to us today from the attached file you can see previous post how it is done also beyond M 6 as we are 6 member group till now and new request are there to join so please give assignment to them also
    once people will become regular here they will be given access to the group folder which has all the answers compiled at one place till now

Thank You
    pdf
    pdf
    013_Top.pdf
  • @aman8770 , @vayam -
    I'll finish all my pending assignments by 21st morning.

Have a lot and lot of pending work to cover.
    I'm noting down all my questions. Will update them topic wise on 21st.

You can also subscribe my channel/page "Sleepy Classes" on youtube. All the best :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog