Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

Handwriting Speed & Legibility Improvement Classe at ForumIAS
Dear Friends, We are arranging for a handwriting speed and legibility improvement course on August 27, Sunday at 3PM, by Mohan Ray from Healthy Handwriting. | . If you facing the problem of slow handwriting, you can take this course, which has been brought on the request of several students who were facing similar problems.

[Official] Technical / Moral / Idiosyncratic - Issues you have with the forum

edited January 2016 in Tools & Technology
woman

OMG, what a rarity common sense is these days!

You see, people want to know pure information like 527, or 20th April. That makes up one category of information. Then, there are related queries, like the one I put up. They make up category 2. And then, there are unrelated comments for which there is a 7th 'final' thread going on!

Category 2 comments, as far as I can see, has no point being in the 'final' thread where they would be lost under a barrage of pointless utterances. Nevermind the difficulty in tracing relevant answers, if there are any.

So, the most relevant thread for such queries is this one. In fact, if relevant queries are discussed here, its more useful than otherwise. Everyone would prefer reading 2 pages worth of relevant discussion and insider information rather than 1 page of strictly 'insider information'. What people mind is reading 100 pages of useless garbage, not a relevant question and a proper reply to it. The degree is of incredible significance.

The neatness which current moderators are so intent on maintaining is like trying to fit everyone into two sizes of Small and XXXXL. Not realizing that a lot of the matter fits into neither.

Many of us agree that the forum has lost quality. Its not just because of the quality of users, but also because of the quality of moderation. You should have seen how forums are moderated when @Partho was here.

Of course, you will delete this post to fit your clean description of this thread. However, just to remind you - Moderation is not a science, its an art. The spirit of communication is more important than the letters -a fact that the current crop of moderators have shown a complete lack of ability to comprehend.

If the current trends continue, a better online place for UPSC aspirants will soon make this place history. In an online marketplace, the rapidity with which you grow is flattering only till you are deceived by the rapidity of your own fall. And then, you can wonder how it all happened!

Good bye.

andy133

@woman..Stop teaching us about what is what and look at the way you conduct yourself on the forum every single time.There are no category 1 or category 2 comments. There are only comments which fit in the thread and which don't. Also just fyi we have a mixed crop of mods, ones who are old and others who are new and all of us are improving with every single day. But then there are certain members like you who refuse to learn manners and decency.
You know the problem is not with the mods or the forum or with other members. Your problem is with people who question your acts (which honestly are dumb at times) and you can't stand it.
Btw partho has been a good friend but he is gone and you too can if you miss him so much.

P. s:, Talking like a cultured human being is also an art. Try learning it.

Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
·

Comments

• It's hard to deny quality of forum has gone down since Orkut invasion.
    ·
  • @Thor u r the best mod for me. =D>
    ·
  • Yes just like upsc answers quality of discussion on this has gone down.
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
    ·
    sadly true!
    :-/
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
    ·
  • yaar its bugging me very much... but I feel there's something missing between "whatever" and "you" in the title of this thread... or am i wrong??
    When the going gets tough...
    ... squeal like a pig.
    ·
  • @HeisenbergWwh "qualms" "grievances" ?
    And also isn't this thread or any thread for instance a medium to express discontent? Sure a mod could take it down but how many times? And that is precisely why there are multiple mods, to ensure that no valid opinion is suppressed. Anything that is repeatedly taken down can simply be pm'ed to all the mods. They then bear the responsibility of airing that view in a protected manner
    ·
    I agree completely with you !!!
    History Optional
    "Let the fear find you again "
    ·
  • Somehow I went through the pain for reading this long grievance by @woman but what pained me more is the reply by the moderator. I don't consider myself suitable to comment upon the state of affairs of this forum, but as a beneficiary and well wisher of this forum I have some observations.

What @woman wrote is actually a simple and well articulated complaint about strict moderation. It may not be courteous enough but it surely isn't an "uncultured" rant.

The way mod dealt with it is simply unacceptable. It roughly translates as "Who the hell are you and how dare you to question our decisions? Obviously, The mod took it very personally and went on to use his special access to Mark the comments like a SHOWDOWN. This is pure arrogance and cannot be helpful to the forum. Whats "uncultured" is acting in such a vengeful manner and I feel is unbecoming of an IAS aspirant.

Having said that, I would like to thank @Thor for noticing this small confrontation and treating the underlying issue with grace and maturity it deserves. This tells me that humility and objectivity prevails on this forum.
    Lastly, Thank you guys for all the efforts you put in to make this forum click. Deeply indebted to you guys.

Good Night!
    ·
  • @Grim_Reaper, @woman is a bit "controversial", to say the least. :D
    Since you're new to the forum, I'd humbly advise you to go through her comments history, and decide for yourself. ;)
    ·
  • edited March 2015
    OMG! Why ego is inimical!

"Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Embryonic efforts make us scale great heights but our ego is like a disincentive and it unconsciously blinds us from the simple and obvious truth that surrounds us. Life teaches many lessons and it leaves us with self doubt and self introspection but ego leaves no room for such skepticism. Some past success makes things even worse for an egoist. Success is like a flame to be respected but when we take it too close to us it becomes an inferno. To preach others is not a sin but an egoist preaches like a tyrant. Service is a beautiful word perhaps which helps us treat human beings as ends in themselves albeit it is outlandish to an egoist. Being unpretentious can make us reach the zenith of our potential and can abet us to be remembered as an obelisk but an egoist is best remembered as a nadir. Ego is like an albatross perhaps too heavy to be carried which is nevertheless idiosyncratic but it can be assiduously eluded. An egoist is not inexorable for as much as it requires a lesser mind which is less bound by parameters of precision which can become a benefactor for an egoist to come out of the quintessential human delusion.
    (If you guys think am referring to someone you are probably correct ) \m/
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
    ·
  • My issues with forum

-> Please introduce the Search feature, we cant search notes and other relevant material in this knowledge sink.

-> Please reduce the big banners and number of advertisements, I understand that its not an NPO, but still they are too much. (2-2-2 Much)

Please consider. :)
    ·
  • Okay, this is my predisposition which may be wrong about @woman 's outburst that some specific comment of her's was deleted on serious Insider information thread and she came out in such a way complaining about the whole system to be inefficient and corrupt like 'Sri Arvind Kejriwal ji' do.

Well Mam/Sir(@woman), before making sweeping generalizations and making specific categories according to your own whims and fancies, please take pain to understand the stance of mods and the general conditions prevailing.

Despite sincere efforts and repeated warnings, people tend to post utterly useless queries and then start bakar, and once it starts - then there is no end.

So, your theory that people are rational and they will remain rational by their own is utterly stupid. There is some degree of regulation and moderation needed in each and every sphere of life, whether it is social life or virtual forum.

@Rookie and other mods helping him have to delete maybe 60-70 useless comments everyday, so that the information thread could be kept clean and relevant information is there and that requires a lot of work. If they don't do that, useless comments will soon increase from 60-70 to 600-700 per day.

So, a lot of people save time and effort due to that, and that's why they love forumias.

So, please ask yourself these questions -

Are they being paid money to do that work? Are they servant of our's doing that job. Do they not have to study and clear civil services. Why should mods waste 2-3 hours/day of their precious time, moderating and structuring that thread when all they can do is - just don't give a shit and leave it to become another bakar thread.

See, Ego's getting hurt is a common thing, but please do have a decency to acknowledge the work that moderators do without any gain.

Just blaming them to be lacking 'art of communication' and then threatening that this place will loose its charm if it is not run as per your wishes is in other words 'living in your own dream world'

In end I'll like to thank forumias and all moderators who work selflessly and other forum members who acknowledge the basic requirements of a particular thread and write responsibly.

P.S. - I'm sorry if it hurt someone's feelings, but the worst thing is that I intended to do so. Complaining genuine problem's is a different thing, but judging people's abilities and character is another, which is intolerable.

Hope is the only bee, that makes honey without flowers.
    ·
  • AksAks
    edited March 2015
    For all those complaining about the degrading quality of forumias, believe me, it was as early as november 2012, that people had started complaining about the deteriorating quality of discussions! When something evolves, it attracts both criticism and praise.

I, for one, personally can't figure out which phase was better. The earlier one, where a hundred odd users debated and deliberated on topics of social issues, or this one where almost hundred thousand registered users come and interact on different threads.

I think we should all appreciate the diversity of views and I am not saying this in a typical UPSC like answer where such terms are often used. I mean it in a practical way.

If you're a tea-sipping, old-timer purist, then do not even bother to click on the Bakar thread. Seriously, it's named BAKAR! Similarly, if one's into Memes and hyper-excited smileys, then please don't crap into the lawns of such tea-sippers!

And if you belong to category 3 (idea taken from a recent comment rant), someone who enjoys a bit of both, then don't complain about it!

And please! don't blame the Orkutians for everything thats wrong! Forumias went out of its way to accommodate the surge in traffic after Orkut closed down! It even changed its logo and hasn't changed it since! Similarly, the traffic from Orkut resulted in making this forum the biggest civil service community today. I can personally tell you that the old orkut community had something in it that can't be described in words!

I know it feels cool to be anti-establishment by criticizing the moderators of whatever actions they take by questioning their judgment and challenging their authority, but if one were to find a hint of semblance in this ever-increasing milieu of elitists, egoists, purists and pure fun-seekers, people must learn to forgive few bad calls taken by the moderators.
    “Whatever it is you're seeking won't come in the form you're expecting.”
    ·
  • Somehow I went through the pain for reading this long grievance by @woman but what pained me more is the reply by the moderator. I don't consider myself suitable to comment upon the state of affairs of this forum, but as a beneficiary and well wisher of this forum I have some observations.

What @woman wrote is actually a simple and well articulated complaint about strict moderation. It may not be courteous enough but it surely isn't an "uncultured" rant.

The way mod dealt with it is simply unacceptable. It roughly translates as "Who the hell are you and how dare you to question our decisions? Obviously, The mod took it very personally and went on to use his special access to Mark the comments like a SHOWDOWN. This is pure arrogance and cannot be helpful to the forum. Whats "uncultured" is acting in such a vengeful manner and I feel is unbecoming of an IAS aspirant.

Having said that, I would like to thank @Thor for noticing this small confrontation and treating the underlying issue with grace and maturity it deserves. This tells me that humility and objectivity prevails on this forum.
    Lastly, Thank you guys for all the efforts you put in to make this forum click. Deeply indebted to you guys.

Good Night!
    Did you see where that complaint was posted? Did you notice that earlier too, a thread had to be deleted because the moderators chose to leave it to its own fate and not waste their own time trying to clean it up?
    If on popular demand a thread is resurrected and an initiative is made to provide whatever information is coming our way regarding the results, then is it really wise and that too, for a self-proclaimed socrates to educate people over there regarding moderation techniques and prophesying about the future of this forum?

Thread ki heading mein bada bada likh diya ki PLEASE DONT DISCUSS HERE....still nobody listened. Even then the moderator kept on silently doing his job of deleting all the comments irrelevant of any information and uske baad bhi itna bada letter likh diya about how the moderators are performing their jobs!

And coming to the content of the original query which was posted, do you think that was the first original query regarding REVIEW PETITION? WOW!! Ever since a week, people have been talking and discussing about it on different threads. Mainstream newspapers are publishing news regarding it. Itna hi zaroori kyon tha usko wahan post karna! Still, the moderator chose not to delete that post. After listening to a page full of rant, moderator ki bold mein likhi ek line se sab offend ho gaye?
    “Whatever it is you're seeking won't come in the form you're expecting.”
    ·
  • @NikolaTesla and others, who are having trouble navigating due to adverts, try using some extension such as adblock.
    ·
  • Mods. Please don't be prejudiced towards me. I am your friend and well wisher. ;;)
    ·
  • Also, ForumIAS prefers helpful, but maybe less talented co-aspirants who answer queries and help others and help build knowledge base over successful candidates who just participiate in the speculation thread and disappear after the thread ties. This is for obvious reasons, and you would do the same if you were ForumIAS.
    +1
    Infact mods are doing a brilliant job. Whether it's Thor or Nuralain. I don't have grudges against any of them. On a similar note we should appreciate them for their endeavour in maintaining the decorum of the place. Rather than criticising for the sake of criticising.
    ·
  • @root

is it possible for me to go thru infinite number of pages to trace her cmmnts nd present dem to u as proofs of her unbecoming of a mod.

if nuralain is so much an asset to u cz she is capable of doing roket science on forum which no oder member can do, den its ur personal sentimental choice and not a rational choice out of public interest.

If u love nuralain so much, den no amount of arguments can change ur mind cz love is blind.

better close dis thread..it is purposeless cz wts d point in asking for problems if dere is nt an iota of interest in addressing dem

Woman is wrng..i am wrng..evryone is wrng except ur dear mods.

U practice nepotism too.

Gd bye.
    Hum hanste hain toh unhe lagta hai ke humein aadat hai muskurane ki,
    Par woh nadaan itna bhi nahi samajhte yeh ada hai gham chupane ki.
    ·
  • First of all there shud be democratisation....
    Elect moderators thru open voting
    Limit d no of moderators
    Throw mods out thru voting when they dont behave

Right now new users do not even know who all r mods.also some mods delete comment - not based on clear rules but acc to their whims.

And i agree with the lady ...no place is final for future aspirants. This forum became more popular esp after closure of orkut but i think it fails to handle heavy traffic -so ppl are creating whats app group n all.
    ·
  • @root please bring back the search feature..
    ·
  • edited March 2015
    @ANARCHIST_INDIAN
    I seriously don't want to waste my time arguing with you. This is the reason I ignore hundreds of comments by you where you tag doodlebean. You are actually a no entity to majority of people here. Except some 2-3 who enjoy your cheap n dirty jokes in late night hours. And u can realise the gravity of my viewpoint by checking ur comment history where nobody cares to reply to ur queries.

You urself ignite a controversy.. Whether it's the case of doodlebean or @msmv8 or @Nuralain.. You are the one who start abusing other members.. Nd when they respond you cry wolf nd try to picture yourself as the one who is the most innocent person on this platform.

Have a life. Grow up.

@root
    Sir if possible conduct a referendum regarding who all like or dislike @Nuralain as a mod. The outcome will favour the deserving. She is gem of a person as far as my interaction with her goes.
    Thank you.
    ·
  • edited March 2015
    Arey match dekho...great cricket from well balanced n competitive trans Tasman revalry ...this is the baaap of contest...not very often u ll c such contest...n all plz try to live ur life more outside the forum ...many great things worth enjoying n living r thr surrounding us which r waiting for even slight attention of ours...
    Don Goshti Majhyasamor aalya na.. Ki mala kay karaycha te kalat nahi .. Vanilla Ice cream ani tu..
    ·
  • I never have any issues with any moderators..
    frankly I believe they do a commendable job..it's not easy to deal..few chaps years...even my patience is tested many times..here...
    my few requests....
    1.uncivilized behaviors and persons,constantly doing tat,must be reached a lesson.
    2.derogatory comments on persons who command respect from majority, and females members,must be stopped.
    3.especially trolling against female members,y can't u clearly mention,legal provisions if anyone,feels he can do anything here,let's teach them a lesson...
    4.I m.ready to provide all the police related helps if needed,I m.sure,tat won't be required.. still...
    5.forum ias,is like second home for guys like me,who r away from family,and also upsc aspirant..we must try hard to maintain..it's..essence.
    thanks.
    ·
  • I never have any issues with any moderators..
    frankly I believe they do a commendable job..it's not easy to deal..few chaps years...even my patience is tested many times..here...
    my few requests....
    1.uncivilized behaviors and persons,constantly doing tat,must be reached a lesson.
    2.derogatory comments on persons who command respect from majority, and females members,must be stopped.
    3.especially trolling against female members,y can't u clearly mention,legal provisions if anyone,feels he can do anything here,let's teach them a lesson...
    4.I m.ready to provide all the police related helps if needed,I m.sure,tat won't be required.. still...
    5.forum ias,is like second home for guys like me,who r away from family,and also upsc aspirant..we must try hard to maintain..it's..essence.
    thanks.
    Thank you Sir :)

Hope is the only bee, that makes honey without flowers.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog