MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Mechanical Engineering doubts (Technical+General)

edited September 2015 in Engineering
Are we allowed to carry design data book in exam ?

Comments

• Are we allowed to carry design data book in exam ?
    nothing is allowed except calculator and geometrical instruments, every data, chart is given in paper itself ...
    The long night is coming and the dead come with it.
  • No load ,No pressure ,No friction coefficient given .How to proceed ?
    IMG_20150328_083659.jpg
    1920 x 496 - 203K
  • No load ,No pressure ,No friction coefficient given .How to proceed ?
    bhai it was a trick qs from ese 14, you had to assume these values (according to made easy solution).... I left this qs!
  • Everyone will get different answers also range of answers will be huge.
    There was also a transportation model question with no data on supply demand ;-(
  • Everyone will get different answers also range of answers will be huge.
    There was also a transportation model question with no data on supply demand ;-(
    don't worry, mains optional qs will not be vague, .... ese is a different bowl of rice altogether ;)
  • @absrockks

Bro
    Can u throw some light on ESE preparation
    I meant hardly 70 days are left
    Some much to study

Kindly share ur success strategy n book list
    Did u refer to made easy notes???
  • @absrockks

Bro
    Can u throw some light on ESE preparation
    I meant hardly 70 days are left
    Some much to study

Kindly share ur success strategy n book list
    Did u refer to made easy notes???
    not to worry, 70 days are more than enough to clear ese with the kind of rank I got. prerequisite is that you must have basic idea of all the subjects by now. I started for ese in April 2014, was covering four gs paper of mains and did some basic study of optional before April.
    if you have basic idea of mechanical subjects I would advise you to do the following-
    1. buy madeeasy handwritten class notes as they can be covered in time crunch.
    2. go for test series. if you stay far from Delhi, get an online test series package.
    3. buy previous year solved papers of ese (must for clearing this exam, especially objective papers) .... preferably made easy publication.
    4. since all of us are preparing primarily for cse it's difficult to manage time for both exams, even then you must devote atleast 6 hours for ese prep april onwards.

that was precisely my approach ... ;) atb
  • Kanban and riser design numericals any source ?
  • edited April 2015
    Kanban and riser design numericals any source ?
    difficult to find kanban in any standard book .... try to search ppt on internet .... scribd can be useful .... solve numerical on single and double card systems, that would be enough

riser design is succinctly given in made easy class notes ( easily available in ber sarai, delhi ).... easy to understand, also kalpakjian has given this topic ....

@peskyelectron
  • Riser design numericals are not there in kalpak jian . FOund some in pn rao but those are based on constants and variables not like upsc.
    Are u talking about made easy class written notes or printed ? I have written only .
  • Riser design numericals are not there in kalpak jian . FOund some in pn rao but those are based on constants and variables not like upsc.
    Are u talking about made easy class written notes or printed ? I have written only .
    i have hand written notes ... there are two or three standard solved examples (upsc type) in that copy ....
  • http://www.only4engineer.com/2014/10/made-easy-class-notes-of-me-mechanical.html?m=1

these ones right ?
    yup ... check page 113-122 ... more than sufficient... also go through last year solved qs ... will suffice ... nice link though :)
  • Hello everybody. I wrote 2013 mains with geography and missed the interview call by 14 marks. Now i decided to change my optional to mechanical engineering.Do you think that it is possible to cover the syllabus when i was not in touch with ME for last 4 years? And help from all of you will be appreciated. Thanks
  • @raoshahb nothing is impossible, sir. it depends on your ability and aptitude. if you are planning to give mains-15 with mechanical... it will be quite tough to get mastery over the subject if you start in April. Go for mechanical only if you are well prepared with gs papers and if you are above average in managing pressure before exams. mechanical papers are scoring if you are well prepared but disastrous if you are not prepared. There is no jugad in such optional subjects and competition is not easy either.
    Think wise and twice before you decide since there is no going back after that.
  • hello everyone !can sm1 tell me about toughness level of ifos mae paper?is it feasible to take it?my first attempt will be in 16 and i have chose history as optnal.and abhi tk bs pass krne k liye padha h mae!so concept hile hue h!pls help.advice.pls!
  • @ raoshahb
    Changing an optional in ne try doesnt seem wise.Dis u appear for 2014 main?
  • @absrockss Breakdown down of ur marks please in ese.
    Also what ws your attemlt in conventional and any strategy to rmmbr so many things ?
  • @peskyelectron my ese 2014 marks

general ability - 136
    objective 1 - 131
    objective 2 - 99
    conventional 1 - 50 ··· attempt~ 120
    conventional 2 - 83 ··· attempt ~ 170
    written total - 499
    interview - 120
    total - 619

because of steep increase in cutoff last year, marking in conventional was tough this year.
    for remembering things try to make last minute notes, example- one page for each topic which contain only important formulas. other than that buy madeeasy handbook which contain formula and key concept of each topic.... important to revise it a day before exam ....
  • @absrockks 120 correct attempt ,i mean till end solution ?or u wrote just 120 marks ,rest left altogether.
    Also 120 questions for 200 marks does each question carry equal weightage. Seriously ,why so weird ratio
  • @absrockks How much do you expect in Mains 2014 in mechanical papers?
  • edited April 2015
    @absrockks and are you aware of any conventional test series which evaluates your performance . And has a possible schedule post upsc prelims
  • @raoshahb i have been preparing with mech as optional since 2013 and appeared for mains 2014, both forest and civils.. i didnt realize that mech was so vast and thot i would somehow manage while i put more time into gs and mains turned out to be a nightmare.. the thing with mech is that if you dont know a certain formula or procedure for a numerical then you wont to be able to touch it or get to end satisfactorily... this brings down your credible attempt to much smaller figures... while in geography, kuch to likh ke aa jaoge... 2014 forest they asked Qs like Fick's law and weird Qs from gas dynamics... so, it is challenging to even put up decent attempt.... rest assured, if you attempt, you will get some really high scores...
    also consider that, all the ESE toppers like mr. absrockks will be competing in mech :)
    Mech optional, ESE2015air50+, CSE2015air320+ 2ndattempt
  • @absrockks 120 correct attempt ,i mean till end solution ?or u wrote just 120 marks ,rest left altogether.
    Also 120 questions for 200 marks does each question carry equal weightage. Seriously ,why so weird ratio
    @peskyelectron .... 120 attempt means- till end solution, but correctly (correct final answer ) attempted was only 90 in both papers. all question this time were 10 marks each whereas earlier there were 20-30 marker same difficulty level questions. so this time papers were average but lengthy, hence total attempt was low.
    about the weird ratio- as I had said I attempted 90 marks worth correct in both papers and I was sure of one thing that I'll get more marks in p1 than p2 .... since my p1 was very strong (this can be seen from my objective score).... but to my surprise- I got 50/90 in p1 and 83/90 in p2 .... so p2 marks were on expected lines, but unfortunately I could never know what ate me in p1 .... it's upsc .... you never know ..
    I was told by some students that in 2013 marks were distributed and many have scored well, as a result cutoff was up 50 marks! Therefore, like they did in 2014 prelims of cse, in ese 2014 also they tried to lower down cutoff and p1 conventional was their easy target.... I hope this is one time exercise and they should not punish aspirants with such low marks just for the sake of reducing cutoffs ....
  • @hudibaba
    1. my attempt was around ~410. not sure about accuracy, also it would be silly of me to predict my marks. I would like to wait for my marksheet. what about you? did you give mains? how was your attempt?
    2. there is no test series post prelims. only test series available is of ese. you can collect the papers of these test series and practice them before mains.
  • @absrockks I did gave mains but in a haste and hence was unable to revise the whole syllabus of mechanical engineering. Give some suggestions as to finish studying mechanical engineering before mains. And some precautions if you may.
  • @hudibaba
    I am an ordinary aspirant like you, brother. I don't think I can have any better suggestion or precaution on completing the vast syllabus. I always try to make crisp notes during study and revise them one day before exam.It is no big deal since I have time to prepare as I am not working.
    other than that how did you find the mains paper? how much marks could you attempt out of 500? I felt paper 2 was quite lengthy!
    have you cleared ese also in the past?
  • @absrockks objective mcq ,any books recommended ?
  • @absrockks objective mcq ,any books recommended ?
    any book which contain last 15 year's topic wise mcq for practice will do the trick!
  • edited April 2015
    @absrockks

There are two books available in market that i came across. One is by made easy , which is set of two books 1110 pages approx (both counted) available at price of 400 each.
    Other is vishal publication ,single book 1100 pages , only 230 rs. Thats why i am asking any specific recommendations ? maybe vishal is unsolved.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog