ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Which all books to read for economics -gs ?

Hi folks
I completed
11Ncert of eco (one tym reading and make notes)
12 macro only 1st chapter(rest i will do very soon)
Now wht to do,wht read next for pre nd mains for eco
Some said ramesh pado thn sriram thn eco survey
Koi khta hai drct sriram pado
Confused wt to do plzz help
Is ramesh sing sufficent or sriram v have to do

One more thing
I read two subjct daily
So if i read eco nd geo this have any prb
·

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Read NCERTs. No need to make notes. Then see mrunal's videos once. This will clear your basics (though no need to see the videos, still, it's the easiest way to begin economy now). Then pick up latest economy notes of Sriram and read it and highlight relevant points. Good thing about Sriram is that it's good for prelims and mains as well unlike Ramesh Singh which is more helpful for prelims. Regarding survey, read it directly, otherwise mrunal is there to help you out. Then while revising have a look at ppts of mrunal and Sriram notes. ALso follow current affairs to be updated.

Do whichever subject you want. No problem whatsoever till you are comfortable.
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • Thnku so much @Chomuphilosopher
    But if i want to clear my basic like tax,taxstructutre,banking system etc thn drctly go to sriram is fine,whether sriram notes contain basics?
    2)Nd for eco survey mrunal video of eco survey is sufficent no need to read book on eco survey thn?
    ·
  • Yes. they are there in Sriram. It will be better if you read the original document but if you don't want to, can rely on videos. Question paper will not be full of Survey only right?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • Yes. they are there in Sriram. It will be better if you read the original document but if you don't want to, can rely on videos. Question paper will not be full of Survey only right?
    Ok brothr
    ·
    1)Read Sri-rams' economic notes PART-1 > ECO SURVEY part 1 > Sriram's Economic survey part -2>ECONMIC surevy part2
    2)Sriram's economic survey contains basics also and in a much fruitful manner than Ramesh singh(also some concepts of ramesh singh are incorrect/vague)
    3)this whole approach will take around 20 days if you a good reader .
    4)I had started from self-preparation and still preparing by my own and help from the internet , So ,I can feel what's your dilemma right now is ,
    My pinch of salt : in the starting finish important subjects(Finish means you understand at least what the subject is all about and then try to remember the contents) like
    polity - laxmikanth
    culture - nitin singhania
    E&B - shankar ias + NCERT 11-12
    economy - Sriram
    history - spectrum
    and read the newspaper not to finish it but to understand what'll come on next day .

polity + economics must re-read about 3-4 times (not in the beginning but before prelims )
    each-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory
    | political science |didn't qualified in first attempt- 2014, but this isn't the end.
    ·
  • @Aki
    Thnkuu very much bhai
    ·
  • many students ask which book to read for indian economy.in my opinion it is better to start with ncert book on indian economy for class 11/12.my personal experience of success in ias exam taught me to read central pages of any good economic/finance related news papers.read English /hindi yojana monthly and any university level book on indian economy like datt and sundharam,Mishra and puri. but m.imp. task is to study secularly and regularly.
    ·

Sir could u pls tell me which sriram economy notes to refer? I just checked one at Flavido and it says sriram economy material volume 1. Is the one all people refer to? But they haven't listed volume 2 I mean is there any volume 2 also? If yes, then from where to get it? From where to get these both volumes?
    ·
  • 1.NCERTs
    2.Mrunal videos
    3.Investopedia.com (only for sticky concepts,they give nice examples)
    4.Nay coaching module or a reference book (Ramesh Singh) (you can avoid this)
    5.Newspaper for current issues
    ·
  • mukulroy said:

Yes. they are there in Sriram. It will be better if you read the original document but if you don't want to, can rely on videos. Question paper will not be full of Survey only right?

Sir could u pls tell me which sriram economy notes to refer? I just checked one at Flavido and it says sriram economy material volume 1. Is the one all people refer to? But they haven't listed volume 2 I mean is there any volume 2 also? If yes, then from where to get it? From where to get these both volumes?
    Bothe volume have to be read
    You can downloadand take printout or else if u r in delhi then purchasw from rajendra nagar
    ·
  • 1.uma kapila :indian economy since independance
    2.uma kapila:problems and policies
    3.march of the indian economy
    4.sriram notes
    5.ramesh singh -TMH
    6.partyogita darpan economy special edition
    7.mrunal slides
    8.civil services times :economy for prelims(this book is optional).
    9.EPW Articles ,primarily for mains
    10 economic survey latest

in my opinion this should be sufficient for both gs economy prelims and mains..

if time permits,you can watch the weekly episode on RSTV of "state of the economy"

also,i read business standard newspaper ,i wont recommend it for prelims and yes defo for mains

remember..revision is more important than mere reading,so keep revising and make notes regularly
    the only hurdle between you and success is lack of genuine belief
    ·
  • NCERTs 11th, 12th.
    Eco Survey Vol 2 then Vol 1.
    No to Ramesh Singh; No to Uma; No to bulky books.
    Current topics are being asked. Series of editorials and opinions.
    Accumulate knowledge by reading incrementally. Read here n there daily.
    Doing static/bulk/multiple books will never help you.
    Arthapedia for certain topics.

PS : IMO Economics is one of the most interesting and dynamic subject. I'd recommend not to treat it like Culture/MH.
    Great Men are not born. They grow Great
    Public Administration.
    ·
    4.sriram notes
    5.ramesh singh -TMH
    7.mrunal slides

if time permits,you can watch the weekly episode on RSTV of "state of the economy"

also,i read business standard newspaper ,i wont recommend it for prelims and yes defo for mains

remember..revision is more important than mere reading,so keep revising and make notes regularly

my friend we have to give exam in this birth only..
    ·
    4.sriram notes
    5.ramesh singh -TMH
    7.mrunal slides

Bhai logo ko dara rahe ho ya serious ho ?
    ·
  • Dutt and sundaram likhna bhhol gaye kya ;)
    ·
  • For mains I think the notes of Erudition IAS are the best
    ·
  • 45dftp said:

VeryDeep said:

I do not know Vivek singh personally but I bought his notes on 20 odd economy issues available in the market for mains. That was the best return on investment I got in my entire preparation. I answered 4-5 questions from that. His notes were brilliant, concise and easy to remember, Comes across as a guy I would pay to learn from.

+1
    ·
  • GS Economy mains notes on current issues of Vivek Singh sir from Erudition IAS.
    ·
  • GS Economy mains notes on current issues of Vivek Singh sir from Erudition IAS.

ok i will surely study vivek sir notes.... :D
    bhai have some shame dont do pr here
    ·
  • I am reading Sriram's Indian Economy book which is of around 280 pages. Does Sriram publish any other economy notes that need to be read?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google