MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

PM - Foreign visit from - June 2014 Onward

June 2014 onward

1) Bhutan
2) Brazil - BRICS SUMMIT
3) Nepal
4) Japan
5) USA - UN
6) Myanmar - East Asia Summit
7) Australia - G-20
8) Fiji
9) Nepal - SAARC Summit

1) Seychelles
2) Mauritius
3) Sri Lanka

Future visit 2015

April - France
April - Germany
April - Canada
May - China
July - Russia
?? - Singapore
Nov - Turkey

Comments

• edited March 2016
    INDIA – BHUTAN

•Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi visited Bhutan in his first official visit after being elected to the office of prime minister of India. He declared to expand bilateral ties he termed as "Bharat to Bhutan" (B2B) relations.

•It is seen as an attempt to cement India's "unique and special relationship" with the neighbouring country.

•During the visit, the two sides explored ways to boost their ties, particularly in trade and hydro-electricity.

•The PM also addressed the joint session of the Parliament of Bhutan. He also inaugurated one of India's assistance projects -- the building of the Supreme Court of Bhutan. The fact that the Prime Minister chose Bhutan as his first foreign destination assumed significance since China has lately intensified efforts to woo it and establish full-fledged diplomatic ties with Thimphu.

•He also lauded Bhutan for the smooth transition from monarchy to democracy in a span of seven years
    which showed maturity in governance in that country. Describing the Himalayas as a shared legacy of the two countries, he stressed on the need to develop the region and said India is planning to open a university for Himalayan studies.

•The bilateral talks are expected to focus on strengthening ties over Bhutan's hydropower plants, which
    supply much-needed clean energy to India. Bilateral trade was worth $1.1 billion in 2012, and Tobgay said Bhutan's hydropower industry was "the centrepiece of our bilateral cooperation".

•India, a power-deficit nation with severe outages, has helped Bhutan develop three hydropower plants with another three under construction.

AN OPINION ON MODI’S VISIT TO BHUTAN

•Prime Minister Modi’s decision to make Bhutan as his first foreign destination after becoming Prime Minister signals a significant shift in India’s neighbourhood policy. Often, neighbourhood escapes high profile visit as India’s attention remains diverted to broader foreign policy issues involving other major powers.

•This shift has two important dimensions which need to be kept in mind while analysing broader parameter of India’s engagement with its neighbours. First, it signals that the neighbourhood is going to be extremely important as a part of initiative to chart economic development and bolster internal security. Second, choosing Bhutan as his first destination underlines that India acknowledges its solid friendship with Bhutan which has significantly cooperated in the counter insurgency initiative by denying space to the Indian insurgent groups in the past.

•Bhutan’s relationship with India in this context is truly all weather. It is not characterized by the usual anti- Indianism which the elites in neighbouring countries use to make political business nor has Bhutan ever adopted a balance-India policy by engaging China.

•The India-Bhutan Friendship Treaty, which was redrafted and signed in 2007, set the bilateral relations on a new course signifying the two countries’ mutual trust. It has laid the basis for a relationship that is
    responsive to each other’s national interests, a relationship that is consultative, and a relationship that
    ensures mutually beneficial cooperation. This treaty does not have the imperial trapping like the previous 1949 treaty. India’s relations with Bhutan represent a synergy that takes an entire gamut of relations, i.e. foreign policy, security and economic cooperation.

•Modi’s visit to Bhutan is politically significant. After inviting SAARC leaders to his swearing in ceremony; his choice of Bhutan as the first country came as no surprise. Bhutan is also the only country where the bilateral relationship is free from tension. Expectations from each other are also easy to attain. Modi, after assuming power has emphasized internal security would be a major concern. Considering Bhutan’s help in the past to flush out militants from the North East, it remains a significant partner in attaining internal stability.

•India needs to earnestly complete some of the projects that have already been delayed due to lack of
    sufficient fund. Bhutan is the only neighbor that can help India in augmenting internal stability and external security. The short-sighted policy of cutting fuel subsidy, just before the elections in Bhutan, did much harm to India’s old age relations with Bhutan. India needs to pursue its relations with Bhutan without strong arms tactics and should remain committed to a relationship of partnership which will help the “Bharat and Bhutan are made for each other” paradigm to consolidate and fructify for the benefit of the two countries.

• Bas meri pradhan mantri ji se ek hi prarthana hai.....ki....sahab...kuchh din to gujariye india mein
    Congratulations to all those who cleared CSE 2014....!!
  • edited March 2016
    2) Brazil - BRICS SUMMIT

BRICS SUMMIT 2014

· The 6th annual BRICS summit was held from July 14 – July 16, 2014 in Fortaleza, Brazil.

· The meeting was attended by the head of the state of the five members – Brazil, Russia, India, China and
    South Africa. Leaders from 11 countries were invited as guests for the event.

· Global political issues such as the unrest in Iraq and Ukraine and the surveillance of world leaders by the U.S. National Security Agency found their way into the discussions at the BRICS summit along with major
    economic issues, in the Fortaleza Declaration released by the leaders of the five nations on July 15, 2014.

· To that end, the sixth BRICS summit is likely to pose a bigger challenge to the West than previous summits. In particular, BRICS countries announced the BRICS bank and contingency reserve fund as a counterpoint to the U.S.-led World Bank and International Monetary Fund. But that is not all. Brazil also wants to set up a
    challenge to currently calculated statistical indices.

· The BRICS grouping accounts for more than a quarter of the world’s land mass, 40 per cent of the world’s
    population, and a combined GDP of $24 trillion at PPP.

BRICS FOR A NEW BANK

· What might have been dismissed as impossibility just five years ago is now a reality. Defying skeptics and
    critics, five countries that between them account for 40 per cent of the world’s population and 20 per cent
    of its GDP have signed an agreement to create a development bank to provide financial assistance to
    developing countries and emerging market economies, mainly for infrastructure projects.

· As its name implies, the agreement for the New Development Bank, signed by Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa at their sixth BRICS summit in Brazil, signals the start of a new global financial order that aims to be more inclusive than the Western-focused International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.

· The $100 billion bank will have an initial subscribed capital of $50 billion. The five members managed to iron out their differences to agree on an equal share for each in the bank, so no one member dominates the
    institution. India and South Africa both wanted to host the headquarters. The eventual decision to locate it
    in Shanghai was an acknowledgement that China’s is the biggest economy in the grouping.

· The Bank will also have an African Regional Centre in South Africa and India will assume the first presidency
    of the bank. First mooted at the fourth BRICS summit in New Delhi in 2012, the Bank will certainly have an
    impact on the existing arrangements put in place by the Breton Woods institutions, and will give more say to
    smaller countries. But BRICS also appears to recognise that the NDB cannot replace the IMF, the World Bank
    or the regional development banks. Thus, the Fortaleza Declaration describes the NDB as a “supplement to
    the efforts of multilateral and regional financial institutions for global development.”

· A second financial instrument, the Contingency Reserve Arrangement of $100 billion, has been set up to help developing economies tide over “short-term liquidity pressures, promote further BRICS cooperation,
    strengthen the global financial safety net and complement existing international arrangements.”

· In its sixth year, BRICS has a new confidence, and it was more than apparent at the summit. The only world
    grouping that is not region, security or trade-based, its members have come together with the
    determination to create a more multilateral global order. China and Russia have backed the other three
    BRICS members on the issue of UN reform and Security Council expansion.

- copy from VISIONIAS material
  • Bas meri pradhan mantri ji se ek hi prarthana hai.....ki....sahab...kuchh din to gujariye india mein

+1 but my reason is that being a PSIR student I can't read other subjects when PM is making 4-5 trips every month :(( . Manmohan singh was good for our exams perspective. :-B
    each-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory
    | political science |didn't qualified in first attempt- 2014, but this isn't the end.
  • edited April 2015
    Got an email through my MyGov account -

"This e-book captures PM Narendra Modi's visit to Seychelles, Mauritius and Sri Lanka and recapitulates the noteworthy milestones of his journey.

From launching the coastal radar project in Seychelles, civic receptions, visit to Jaffna & all other highlights, the e-book is an insightful read for one and all."

http://sagaryatra.narendramodi.in/

Looks neat.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • Barracuda
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
  • @all

Does anyone maintained any word document about the outcomes of these visits ?
    In case someone has maintained kindly share for Prelims

TIA
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • ^^ That would make an encyclopedia. @-) This year IR would kill one and all. @-)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • @Etat

But still we have to study :( whatever GBs of data it is
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • @Etat

Yes :'(

I just went through the a list of planned future visits - including those to Iran and Malaysia. This year the 'India-X ties' questions can come from any part of the world.

Should we petition UPSC to skip IR this year for the sake of humanity? :'( You cannot read so much for one topic. I guess I'll restrain myself to the critical ones and skip the question if things like India-Chile relations comes (not impossible). :(
  • edited July 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_policy_of_Narendra_Modi

But I guess that the government doesn't really have much of a choice due to China poking its nose everywhere.
  • @Etat

I just went through the a list of planned future visits - including those to Iran and Malaysia. This year the 'India-X ties' questions can come from any part of the world.

Should we petition UPSC to skip IR this year for the sake of humanity? :'( You cannot read so much for one topic. I guess I'll restrain myself to the critical ones and skip the question if things like India-Chile relations comes (not impossible). :(
    tell something about India Pacific alliance relations
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
  • @Etat

tell something about India Pacific alliance relations
    I was clueless. I thought of something else. But I guess we're in it - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Alliance

Frankly, I don't really know. I'll have to read it up.
  • अपने सामान्य ज्ञान को बढाने हेतु श्रीराम कोचिंग के पेज को लाईक करें—
    https://www.facebook.com/Shriramedu/
    अधिक प्रश्नो एवं सामान्य ज्ञान के सर्वोत्तम संकलन हेतु श्रीराम की साइट विजिट करे। http://www.shriramedu.com
    post your resume:- http://www.shriramedu.com/career/postresum.php
    requirements.jpg
    438 x 720 - 84K
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog