REVISION CLASSES FOR PRELIMS 2017 by ForumIAS

ForumIAS will be conducting revision classes for Prelims 2017. The goal is to cover maximum topics in minimum time posible. The first class is scheduled today at 5 PM. Seats fill early so register early. Click Here to know more

Anyone following DD Basu Instead of Lakshmikant?

Hi friend just want to know if there is anyone who is following DD Basu instead of Lakshmikant for Constitution,
i am doing it , n i felt its better than Lakshmikant, as DD basu explains and go in details (which i prefer to read).
How ever i understand it dont cover all topics, but for basic understanding its really nice.
Jus one more question, is there any other website than PRS who give good understanding on Constitution. I really am loving to read our constitution so i want to go in a bit details of it.

Please Suggest.

[Many questions - good; many question-marks - useless. :) ]
·

Comments

• For the prelims perspective and for a general understanding of the polity (articles, bodies etc) Laxmikant is the best. DD Basu has more analysis and some historical perspective as well. These two books should be more than enough for the General Studies syllabus of both mains and prelims in my opinion. I have also heard that Subhash Kashyap's Our Constitution is also a nice reference book but I myself have not referred it.
    CSE 2014 - AIR 356 | Indian Revenue Service (C & CE)
    ·
  • Last year, I started with DD Basu instead of Laxmikant, but only at later stage realised that Laxmikant is must for prelims and somehow covered it before prelims.

I would strongly suggest to first complete Laxmikant without fail, only then read DD Basu. Even DD Basu is not necessary if you build your understanding through newspapers and other articles. But for some historical perspective, you should refer to some good coaching notes or DD Basu.
    ·
  • If I enjoyed reading any book most in my preparation..then it's sure is d d basu. It is more helpful in mains than in prelims. In prelims u may miss some ques by solely deoending on it. So jus go through laxmikant for missing parts in basu n for what's there in basu I promise u don't need any other source. But for every chapter jus go through laxmikant once to see whether ur missing anything. Apart from that dont go through it for conceptual understanding.
    ·
  • Basu is enjoyable, though apparently better suited for aspirants with a background in law. Lakshmikanth is probably the better choice for CSE prep.
    Brog

Quisque est barbarus alii
    ·
  • Do selective reading of basu e.g. emergency chapter
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
    ·
  • Read Laxmikanth for a few days last year, found it boring, followed DD Basu since. No disadvantage as far as I know, written 2014 mains. Helps in comprehension and answer writing too, so it's a bonus I feel. Writing styles are different, content is almost the same so choose it based on that .Cheers ! :)
    ·
  • Sorry target bhai.
    Content is not almost same.
    Basu has better . Laxmikanth assumes lot of provisions which makes it self contradictory.
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
    ·
  • Oh alright,no worries. I have read only a few chapters of Laxmikanth.
    ·
  • edited March 2015
    Hi guyzz if I wanna make notes on this subject then should I make it out of lakshmikanth or should read basu before doing so?
    ·
  • I never touched Lakshmikant, yet managed to answer most of the polity questions in Prelims 2012 and 13 solely based on my deeP foundation of polity build by DD Basu.

Basu has touched almost all the relevant areas in a very crisp manner. You will enjoy the language of the book as well. But I agree that direct jump on Basu might create some problem. I had gone through NCERT (Constitution At Work) before laying my hand on it.

I will suggest read NCERT+Basu (or Lakshmikant) + Puncchi Report for a comprehensive understanding of Polity .
    Mathematics CSE 2015
    ·
  • Try to read a book by V.C. shukla or if needed M.P.jain still need more. Read commentary on the indian constitution by D.D. basu itself. It has some 18 volumes on indian constitution..
    ·
  • Thank you for your suggestion,, i also feel that reading DD basu for Specifically indian constitution and reading lakshmikant for other parts of polity will suffice :)
    ·
  • For prelims ... Lakshmikant is enough
    For Mains ... DD Basu along with News updates will serve the purpose as Basu gives an analytical approach
    ·
  • brothers,
    I have read laxmikanth completely for prelims, and was thinking of reading select topics from DD basu for mains preparations.
    I would be really grateful, if someone who has read both books might suggest some topics which i should read from DD basu (as reading the whole book in good depth would be too hectic for the time)
    thanks in advance
    ·
  • brothers,
    I have read laxmikanth completely for prelims, and was thinking of reading select topics from DD basu for mains preparations.
    I would be really grateful, if someone who has read both books might suggest some topics which i should read from DD basu (as reading the whole book in good depth would be too hectic for the time)
    thanks in advance

chapter no 1,2,3,4,5,8....if you dont have time then atleastread chapter no 8 on fundamental right...
    Romeo naam mera..

Chori hai kaam tera..
    ·
  • Chapter 5,8,27
    ·
  • me if i clear prelim
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
    ·
  • Which arc reports are must read for mains.....
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google