How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class
Current Affairs ( Pre + Mains ) 2019 | 4 Aug | Attend First 3 Classes Free ForumIAS Weekly Current Affairs Classes commence from Saturday, 4 August, 5AM, at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.We invite you to attend the first three classes free
CLICK HERE to register for attending the classes on August 4, 5 and 11.

High Interview Scorers in UPSC : What it takes

edited April 2015 in Interview Preparation
Hi,

I have not been able to score well in the Interviews, ranging from 30% to 45% in my previous Interviews. ( Board : Purushottam Sir - 30% and Mr. Chhatar Singh - 45%) . Now I have seen that people who score well in Interviews do so consistently. So do people who score pathetic marks - like me.

So, I want to break this chain of events ( and this thread should also help others who have been pulled down because of Interviews.) I have very close friends who have scored 200+ in Interviews. Twice. But it is difficult to learn from someone close home.

I read Interview some kickass Interviews of IFoS guys, especially one who faced Alka Sirohi and did a stupendous job.

I want tips and advice from members here who have scored very well in the Interview, especially those who scored less and then did something and were able to skyrocket their scores.

I request such members to share their tips/plan/strategy.

Sharing tips in words like be honest, etc would not be a great help. A detailed plan or strategy would be helpful though. TIA

*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Comments

• Can you share your experience that what are the don'ts in interview that you think could have proved to be a hindrance for good marks? anything specific that you can point it out.
    Enjoy the hard work.
  • Thank you so much for the thread.
    कर लेते है बर्दाश्त हर दर्द इसी आस के साथ,
    कि खुदा नूर भी बरसाता है, आज़माइशो के बाद........
  • edited March 2015
    Hi,

I have not been able to score well in the Interviews, ranging from 30% to 45% in my previous Interviews. ( Board : Purushottam Sir - 30% and Mr. Chhatar Singh - 45%) . Now I have seen that people who score well in Interviews do so consistently. So do people who score pathetic marks - like me.

So, I want to break this chain of events ( and this thread should also help others who have been pulled down because of Interviews.) I have very close friends who have scored 200+ in Interviews. Twice. But it is difficult to learn from someone close home.

I read Interview some kickass Interviews of IFoS guys, especially one who faced Alka Sirohi and did a stupendous job.

I want tips and advice from members here who have scored very well in the Interview, especially those who scored less and then did something and were able to skyrocket their scores.

Sharing tips in words like be honest, etc would not be a great help. A detailed plan or strategy would be helpful though. TIA

VCU
  • Hi,

Hi Neyawn,

will be gud if you can plz share what ,according to you,did not go well in prepration process and during actual interview. (u can choose to inbox me also).

Besides,are you located in Delhi..then it ll be better ..(mine is near North campus, DU...Mukherji nagar ke paas hi samjho)...

last year ,i gave my first attempt and first intrview..CSM 2013...scored in vicinity of 200...

to my understanding,its not about written,its about verbal answer...its not about perception,its about your real personality..

I also look for further improvement in me..so ready for any such suggestion from persons who scored well .

• @Neyawn

I do remember that your written marks were pretty impressive so its just the interview that's troubling you. honestly, everyone knows the basic - be confident, don't take extreme position blah blah blah ..... but unless someone actually sees your interview I don't think they will be able to help.

did you take interview mocks? what was their feedback .... or maybe this time you could ask them if you can record your interview on your mobile .... I think actually seeing yourself will help a lot. example - maybe you just LOOK nervous but you really are not and that affects final marks. or you could share it with someone whose opinion you trust and they might help you sort out the issues ....
  • I'll be frank about this. I didn't score well last year (160) and so you may call this sour grapes.
    Pray that you don't end up with boards that don't give good marks. Really. One could definitely see a pattern where the average marks of some boards were the highest of some others.
  • quick question ... if chairman or interview board goes harsh on you or give you tough time during interview .... does that mean that you will get less marks???
    The long night is coming and the dead come with it.
  • quick question ... if chairman or interview board goes harsh on you or give you tough time during interview .... does that mean that you will get less marks???
    Nope.. seen many examples of tough/stress interviews where the person ended up scoring more than 60-70%
  • @Neyawn

I do remember that your written marks were pretty impressive so its just the interview that's troubling you. honestly, everyone knows the basic - be confident, don't take extreme position blah blah blah ..... but unless someone actually sees your interview I don't think they will be able to help.

did you take interview mocks? what was their feedback .... or maybe this time you could ask them if you can record your interview on your mobile .... I think actually seeing yourself will help a lot. example - maybe you just LOOK nervous but you really are not and that affects final marks. or you could share it with someone whose opinion you trust and they might help you sort out the issues ....
    last year I took mocks and the feedback was really +ve except ofcourse of the fact that I made one or 2 blunders in my daf still my score was pretty low but ya there might be other issues which newyan can short out by consulting his frnds
    Rank -in 820s(2017)
  • I'll be frank about this. I didn't score well last year (160) and so you may call this sour grapes.
    Pray that you don't end up with boards that don't give good marks. Really. One could definitely see a pattern where the average marks of some boards were the highest of some others.
    actually not nly high marks sm boards did have different set of questions so a different of test these things can actually make a big difference finally
    Rank -in 820s(2017)
  • What I observed that candidate with job experience had high probability to get on avg 170+ marks. (If job in govt sector, then marks could be little bit higher side).

Plz dont take it as final conclusion.

• Hi Neyawn,

will be gud if you can plz share what ,according to you,did not go well in prepration process and during actual interview. (u can choose to inbox me also).

Besides,are you located in Delhi..then it ll be better ..(mine is near North campus, DU...Mukherji nagar ke paas hi samjho)...

last year ,i gave my first attempt and first intrview..CSM 2013...scored in vicinity of 200...

to my understanding,its not about written,its about verbal answer...its not about perception,its about your real personality..

I also look for further improvement in me..so ready for any such suggestion from persons who scored well .

What's your rank buddy.

Hope is the only bee, that makes honey without flowers.
  • Did well in mocks. But ended up slightly debating with Chhatar singh. Ended up in 140s.

Introspection : lacked discipline (forgot to bring ID and call letter). high anxiety. lost coolness. it hampered my confidence. Did bluff a few qs (suicidal). Didn't listened questions properly, jumping to answer. was not articulate.

will try to work on these issues.

• What I observed that candidate with job experience had high probability to get on avg 170+ marks. (If job in govt sector, then marks could be little bit higher side).

what about IT jobs.. anyone here who appeared in interview from IT background?????/
  • Though I have not given interview yet but I would like to ask fellow members following queries,

1). Does one need to be a very fluent speaker in English or whatever language they choose to be interviewed in? Does the proverbial "tooti -phooti" english works while giving interview or one is straightaway rejected for weak english?

2). Can Hinglish be used during an interview?
    3). Do mock interviews really help ?
    4). People say honesty matters but being over the top honest or truthful can be detrimental too, I guess. What do, aspirants who have given interviews have to say regarding this?

TIA
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • @mnrnjn even i have made a mistake in my daf...there is a typing error...left out the letter "G" in ENGLISH, so its "ENLISH" in the form..would that be a problem?
  • @mnrnjn even i have made a mistake in my daf...there is a typing error...left out the letter "G" in ENGLISH, so its "ENLISH" in the form..would that be a problem?
    no yaar these are trival mistake no need to worry mine was about only preferring for 4 services last year which proved to be the turning point last year
    Rank -in 820s(2017)

not nly job exp higher studies pg degree etc.. all gives a proper area for them to ask questions which helps the candidate in an immense way
    but finally its all about how one back his/her profile by answering the questions which mtrs the most
    so one who has no pg or work exp can also score well I blv
    Rank -in 820s(2017)
  • @ariesrahul bhai it doesn't mtr wat job u have just be prepared for the questions if u get through it u wl eef score very good
    Rank -in 820s(2017)
  • @mnrnjn

Turning point? Was it a good turn or a bad one? How did you score?
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @mnrnjn

Turning point? Was it a good turn or a bad one? How did you score?
    bhai I scored pretty badly as I wasn't able to explain why nly 4 services dat to no ips and irs I was pretty inexperience at that tym
    it was a mistake at the1st place which was a reflection of my inexperience anyways I was warned abt it during my mocks too
    also there were other factors like my lacklustre prep played a part too but that was the turning point
    scored nly 40%
    Rank -in 820s(2017)
  • @Neyawn : Bro in your case what you think did not click ??
  • @highalexway Thank you for replying. I will shortly pm you.

@geeta Thank you. I think I was more impromptu, and less prepared. Most people, except one super awesome IRS guy with 200+ who have scored very well had very set and prepared answers. Mostly prepared and memorized.

But primarily I was stuck on a question where the board was wrongly informed. Mr. Singh said that we can send messages on whatsapp without any Internet connection, to which I said this cannot be done. He said I have no Internet on my phone and I can send message anywhere, and I tried convincing Sir, that indeed a data connection would be needed.

Now you can't convince someone 60+ easily. Worse, you shouldn't even try. I am not sure if this was the only thing that went wrong.

I am beginning to have a self doubt over some personality flaw, which I am trying to rectify ( otherwise I am a pretty social guy, and don't fall out or get into trouble with people around me)

If you were to ask me one single mantra - the less you speak there ( unless it is Alka Sirohi ma'am) the better your chances are.
  • @Neyawn I feel that much depends on which board you get and what kind of questions are asked from panel members which makes this process a subjective one ; got chance to face two board members last year 1) CSE - Alka Sirohi mam - 138/275
    2) CAPF-ACs- David Sir- 95/150

I was very much prepared for CSE interview while on the other side I was shattered with the final result of CSE and did minimum preparation for CAPF Interview .Level of the questions asked in both the interviews was more or less same but not the scores. So you can prepare up to a certain extent and after that ball is in panel's court :)
    .So here I go, it's my shot...
    Feet: fail me not, this is the only opportunity that I got....

CAPF AC 2013 - BSF
    CSE 2013 | Interview CSE 2014 | Mains CSE 2015 | Mains
  • @Neyawn

Please put list a of dos/donts from your experience.
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • @Vaibhav1988 Message root to change your screen name.

Second, I am really concerned about Mrs. Sirohi since she takes a very factual interview, next only to Ms. Razdan.

I was wondering if some interview toppers here could throw some light on how to handle her board, the luckiest people on the planet being those who get Kilemsungla board.
  • edited March 2015
    @Neyawn I have messaged him already bhai but he seems too busy to look into this trivial matter . While requests of many users' were accepted by root ,I am still waiting for my turn.

Yes some board members ask too many factual questions. I too was grilled.
    .So here I go, it's my shot...
    Feet: fail me not, this is the only opportunity that I got....

CAPF AC 2013 - BSF
    CSE 2013 | Interview CSE 2014 | Mains CSE 2015 | Mains
  • I've been taking mock classes lately. I've also had the opportunity to put up profile-based questions for many on this forum. The thing that I have realised about improving your interview is a three-step process :

1. List out your weaknesses and admit them to yourself

2. Try and remedy the situation practically

I've applied this method in going through my DAF. I have realised my problems. I've been working on remedies.

3. Presentation - Make sure you have justifications (base them in GS IV if required) for any and all of your life choices. Don't create and rehearse excuses. Ask yourself why you have done something that you have done.

Realise and accept your shortcomings and admit them in front of the interviewers. Now, this requires moderation. Honesty can lead to a bit of self-criticism but it should not make you say stuff that would tarnish your self-respect in front of the board.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • This thread has a basic problem to deal with. It requires replies from people who got high marks in the interviews. But such people are unlikely to be found on the forum.
  • @highalexway Thank you for replying. I will shortly pm you.

@geeta Thank you. I think I was more impromptu, and less prepared. Most people, except one super awesome IRS guy with 200+ who have scored very well had very set and prepared answers. Mostly prepared and memorized.

But primarily I was stuck on a question where the board was wrongly informed. Mr. Singh said that we can send messages on whatsapp without any Internet connection, to which I said this cannot be done. He said I have no Internet on my phone and I can send message anywhere, and I tried convincing Sir, that indeed a data connection would be needed.

Now you can't convince someone 60+ easily. Worse, you shouldn't even try. I am not sure if this was the only thing that went wrong.

I am beginning to have a self doubt over some personality flaw, which I am trying to rectify ( otherwise I am a pretty social guy, and don't fall out or get into trouble with people around me)

If you were to ask me one single mantra - the less you speak there ( unless it is Alka Sirohi ma'am) the better your chances are.
    U can send the message on WhatsApp without internet connection,,but it will not be received on the otherside
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog