Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Discussion of Hobbies

i am creating this thread for the discussion of the hobbies which we have written in our DAF as many of us are not very aware of the hobbies and many question are usually asked from the hobbies section.tell ur hobbies and let friends discuss information about each others hobbies.
·

Comments

• Very useful initiative @ashutosh230
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
  • I second asg on that. :)

I had a query....
    One of my friends who is hopeful getting an interview call this time, so far as I remember has not written any hobby, cause he said he literally wasnt too interested in anything to call it a hobby( and for the fear of their grilling questions on the same ofcourse).

However he has mentioned that he had taken part in NCC, as he has a B certificate to support his claim (he says certificates help a lot in supporting your claims of hobbies, interests etc).

So what kind of questions can he expect? Any idea?

@asg I would intersted in your reply as I remember you said you had attended an interview.
    Purshottam Agarwal sir's Board if I'm not wrong.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • 1 question : How does upsc define hobby as..Is it following ur team passionately (football only ) or winning cash prizes for quizzing in college (dont have any certificate to prove it)..or just playing with ur pet dogs and looking after them...or something else tat i dont know coz everyone can write reading or listening to music etc..
    Its ok to fail once but Dont Quit..else how will u taste the sweetness of the success that awaits you if you Quit !
    ·
  • Yes @abhinrao24, but I wasn't asked anything about my hobbies in the interview..

I'm not sure what getting a B-Cert involves, but your friend might be asked about NCC in general - history, motto, activities undertaken, what he likes from among them and why etc.
    Just a guess.
    ·
  • @listening to music can be called a hobby but not others.upsc does not define hobby.u can write anything in ur DAF but if they find anything intresting they will ask questions on that.
    ·
  • asgasg
    edited February 2013
    @siddy248
    I think reading, writing, listening to music is okay - but it needs to be a li'l more specific - like I write blogs on political/social issues, I like reading PG Wodehouse or Frederick Forsyth or whoever, I like listening to Sufi music, or I like listening to Kishore Kumar songs etc.
    ·
  • thanks @asg and ashutosh230

ill keep that in mind..
    Its ok to fail once but Dont Quit..else how will u taste the sweetness of the success that awaits you if you Quit !
    ·
  • Yes @abhinrao24, but I wasn't asked anything about my hobbies in the interview..

I'm not sure what getting a B-Cert involves, but your friend might be asked about NCC in general - history, motto, activities undertaken, what he likes from among them and why etc.
    Just a guess.
    Ok :) thanks :)

In case you're interested,

NCC certificates classification,

class 9-10 -- A certificate
    class 11-12 -- B certificate
    graduation -- C certificate
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    are debating,essay writing,quiz- a hobby or interest ? please comment .

do we have to produce the certificates during our interview?

p.s. i have more than 100 certificates but are these certificates useful in UPSC?
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • More than 100 certificates :O =D>

You don't need to produce any extra-curricular certificates at the interview. All the activities you mentioned are valid hobbies - but then expect questions like - were you a part of your school/college quiz team? have you heard of brand equity quiz? did you watch mastermind india?
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    Thank you @asg sir.
    Actually its more than 100 because i have been participating in debate from district level to national level from my primary schooling and besides that i am a Dancer also,also participating in essays,quiz and was working with INdian Red cross thats y i have got so many certificates sir.

But was thinking about its usefulness,but you really boosted my confidence .now i am happy :D :)

Neways what is your hobby sir ?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • are debating,essay writing,quiz- a hobby or interest ? please comment .
    Do you still pursue them? The board would like to know that.

Somewhere a topper had mentioned specifically not to take the certificates to the interview.
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
    ·
  • are debating,essay writing,quiz- a hobby or interest ? please comment .

do we have to produce the certificates during our interview?

p.s. i have more than 100 certificates but are these certificates useful in UPSC?
    100 certificates? I think you're considering all the college fest, high school certificates also.

I just looked up the wiki page of ncc, and I guess he(my friend) included ncc coz its more related to the govt( National Cadet Corps Act of 1948).
    Otherwise I guess he must be having a couple of more certificates.
    I know he played shuttle badminton in coll, football too i guess.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • @khajoor -yes, i pursue them presently & thank you for the information, i didnt know about it,thats why i asked.

@abhinrao24 - obviously man. why should i not consider high school or fest certificates along with others?

·
  • @khajoor -yes, i pursue them presently & thank you for the information, i didnt know about it,thats why i asked.

@abhinrao24 - obviously man. why should i not consider high school or fest certificates along with others?
    Carry on sister... I never asked you to quit considering anything.

All I wish to point out is that 2 of you( you & my friend) believe in 2 differernt principles.

He was a bit more defensive and cautious I guess.
    Cant comment about you.

"ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • @abhinrao24-

about whom are you talking about brother?

you can comment to answer my query brother,i was just asking about the worth of certificates,should we take it in interview or not?
    :)

·
  • edited February 2013
    My hobbies are Watching Documentaries(based on India) and playing Lawn tennis...

wat type of questions can i expect in the interview???
    ·
  • @abhinrao24-

about whom are you talking about brother?

you can comment to answer my query brother,i was just asking about the worth of certificates,should we take it in interview or not?
    :)
    Oh thanx for bestowing upon me the privilege to comment on you, although conditional :P

And your query has been handled pretty well by khajoor here,
    are debating,essay writing,quiz- a hobby or interest ? please comment .

Do you still pursue them? The board would like to know that.

Somewhere a topper had mentioned specifically not to take the certificates to the interview.
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • Anybody interested in gardening?
    I filled it in DAF.
    Anyone who is interested in gardening here may discuss anything with me irrespective of it being mentioned in DAF.
    Thanks
    ·
  • dancing asli passion toh woh hi tha galat jagah panga le lia upsc se
    "CHOICE" not "CHANCE" determines destiny.....
    ·
  • Everyone needs a hobby...mine is cycling! ;)
    ·
  • dancing asli passion toh woh hi tha galat jagah panga le lia upsc se
    ab panga le hi lia hai, to UPSC se bhi ta- thai -ya karwa hi do:D

·
  • lol ambiti0n bro gud m0rng!
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    lol ambiti0n bro gud m0rng!
    Good afternoon bro!
    According to admin note "Out of every 3 members at ForumIAS, one is the fairer sex. Be a decent human being. Be gender sensitive." :D :-j
    (follow forum ias rules=))

newayz lets back to the topic-what questions can Interview panel ask to an aspirant who has hobby of dancing?
    p.s. i am thinking to write dancing along with debating as a hobby in DAF( optimistic approach) :P

·
  • sowi,.ur id make me remind of ambition motorbike.hahaha sowi.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog