How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class
Current Affairs ( Pre + Mains ) 2019 | 4 Aug | Attend First 3 Classes Free ForumIAS Weekly Current Affairs Classes commence from Saturday, 4 August, 5AM, at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.We invite you to attend the first three classes free
CLICK HERE to register for attending the classes on August 4, 5 and 11.

Will I be allowed to take the UPSC interview without degree certificate?

edited October 2015 in Official Exam Process
@kunal87 says -

Hi
My first post on this blog
I am eagerly waiting for the mains results(although no great hopes). However I have not taken my graduation degree yet(passed out in 2011) In case I qualify for the interview, Will I be allowed to take the interview without my certificate (as it would take lot of time if i go now to get the final degree)?

Please respond ASAP.
*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Comments

• @kunal87 You will not be disqualified from UPSC's any process for temporary lack of documentation. There are provisions where you can appear for the interview even with just your identity card. (don't actually try that! ) However, unless you furnish the documents, you recruitment will be withheld and it may be delayed by 1 year minimum - after selection. This commonly happens every year to few people who are not able to furnish some documents.

You would not want to be in such a situation. Get all your marksheet of all your semesters, and that wil do.

Worry not.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Neyawn sir if the degree has not been issued by the university then? i mean to say if a person possess a provisional certificate and the degree has not been officially issued by the university what will happen in that case?
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • @Neyawn
    Asking just out of curiosity. Suppose a candidate is allotted IAS/IFS, but he wants to join 1 year later. Maybe because he just wants to travel for 1 year. Is it possible officially?
    What if a candidate has a degree but decides not to produce it just for the sake of delaying his training by one year?
  • @Newayn sir- i think one can give UPSC without degree also,but in that case PROVISIONAL CERTIFICATE & marksheets are needed.

in delhi university i will be able to get my degree after 3 years, i have passed graduation in 2012,the university has only issued all the mark sheets & provisional certificate & my mentor sir told me that its sufficient.

correct me if i am wrong.
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
  • I think if u have the provisional degree certificate its sufficient until u get the original degree certificate. My state public service commission asks either of the two to submit. And u will get provisional degree certificate within a month of applying.
    |If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine|| ||Upsc wars veteran|
  • @anurag_sinha Most universities issue degrees pretty late. For instance Delhi College of Engineering issued its 2009 batch degrees just two months back.

Provisional degrees would do. If you carry the degree demand letter from UPSC, your Univ should give you a letter saying that the provisional degrees be accepted as degrees will be awarded later.
  • Reply to @ambitieux: That is correct. It will suffice for UPSC. Your selection will not be hampered for these reasons. But the clerk there does take a lot of convincing.
  • edited February 2013
    @Neyawn sir i have the same problem i am also 2009 batch passout from GGSIPU delhi but they have not issued the degree yet. X( i do have the provisional certificate and the mark-sheets of the qualifying exam. i will be appearing for the first time in 2013 and still worried about very little thing like degree, certificate past performance and other pity issues. i can not get my mind off them :((
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • @Neyawn
    Asking just out of curiosity. Suppose a candidate is allotted IAS/IFS, but he wants to join 1 year later. Maybe because he just wants to travel for 1 year. Is it possible officially?
    What if a candidate has a degree but decides not to produce it just for the sake of delaying his training by one year?
    You may ask for a sick leave. But remember there is a limit to which these things can be delayed. You will keep receiving letters from UPSC if you fail to join. When you are ready to join, you'll have to answer to the show cause notice over why you did not join early. Totally the discretion of DoPT Secy, who may or may not accept your reply, and re-joining at your convenience will not be easy. When you re-join, it is at their inconvenience.

Getting an appointment with DoPT Secy is not easy even for very senior IAS, IPS officers. At best, you may get an appointment with his/her PA.
  • Hi,
    I am doing Integrated course (5 yrs program) and I will be completing my course only on May 2015. But I am planning to write the exam on June 2014. If selected for Interview, Will it be a problem because I haven't completed my course yet. I will be getting my Degree certificate before august 2014 i.e., before the training commences, Can I manage them saying that I can produce it before training?
  • Hi,
    I am doing Integrated course (5 yrs program) and I will be completing my course only on May 2015. But I am planning to write the exam on June 2014. If selected for Interview, Will it be a problem because I haven't completed my course yet. I will be getting my Degree certificate before august 2014 i.e., before the training commences, Can I manage them saying that I can produce it before training?
    As per 2013 notification, you are eligible only if you pass the qualification examination before you apply for mains. If you dont, you are not eligible for mains. So I think you have to wait until 2015 for your attempt.

• edited January 2014
    @chaithu

Yes you can appear for Civil Services without a degree certificate. In fact, you may appear for the Interview with only an ID proof in extraordinary cases. Of course you will have to provide all documents subsequently. Most graduates who clear Civil Services immediately after their College do not have a original degree certificate. This is because most colleges take time to provide degree certificate.

UPSC will not and does not cancel candidature on flimsy grounds. At the cost of sounding irresponsible, I did appear for Mains once without my admit card (Do not try it though).

So yes you can go ahead and if your institute does not award you a full degree even after course competition, you can go ahead with a temporary degree.

But remember that at no point of time will the Babus make you feel that you can get away with it, except when they actually / ultimately let you get away with it.

[Edited] Above comment is valid when you would be actually eligible for the exam but don't have the requisite documents. You need to be be a graduate with a degree for writing the exam, even if the degree is temporary. I am not sure with a 5 Year Integrated Course at what point do you become a graduate.
  • @Neyawn if I am in b.tech 3rd year now, can I write civil services in 2014 if I am going to complete my graduation in 2015??
  • @bharat141 No you cannot.
  • I have my graduation degree but the post graduate degree is stuck somewhere in DU's administration. Would that be an issue during interview?
  • Graduation or equivalent is the basic qualification . So PG certificate doesnt matter at all . If they ask you why you didnt attach PG certificate , just thank to yourself that time is ticking with those trivial issues :P
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • Graduation or equivalent is the basic qualification . So PG certificate doesnt matter at all . If they ask you why you didnt attach PG certificate , just thank to yourself that time is ticking with those trivial issues :P
    Will the interview panel be having the certificate copies as well?
  • I have started my UPSC preparation few months back and i am going to complete my BTech by 2015. Can I attempt 2014 prelims for practice though I am not eligible and If qualified for mains,,,, Am I eligible for writing it????? Or It will be an offense!!!!!! I am ready to loose one attempt though.
  • Dude this is the most hysteric thing i have ever heard ..no way are you eligible for writing prelims 2014 though there is no checking of eligibility before mains nd you could appear for prelims ...i dont know if its an offence or not but you would definately not be allowed for mains if you qualify ...if you just want to practice you could do that by attempting the paper at home ...you will ruin another candidates chance for writing mains if you qualify for prelims .
  • @Neyawn
    I am doing the 5 years integrated law course. Currently in second year. Though I have started preparing for the exam but its not upto that level. If just for the heck of it, I change my name and sit for the prelims in 2015( when I'll be in 3rd year). Just to have a hang of what its like , I hope you are getting me. Any BAD consequences?
  • Umm..
    I thought someone would clarify me :( since i am a beginner here.
    Anyways..
  • expected genuine help :(
  • @Neyawn
    I am doing the 5 years integrated law course. Currently in second year. Though I have started preparing for the exam but its not upto that level. If just for the heck of it, I change my name and sit for the prelims in 2015( when I'll be in 3rd year). Just to have a hang of what its like , I hope you are getting me. Any BAD consequences?
    Not until you make it to the interview. If you make it to the Interview, you cannot just disappear. Rules require you to submit documents even if you plan not to appear for the interview AFAIK.

Also, if you at all execute the above plan, try to keep it discrete. You should not be in trouble as long as someone doesn't inform the Commission about such act, @Shivikaushik

Although, who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then.
  • Thanks for enlightening me :D
  • edited April 2015
    sir my b.tech 4 year will be started in july and my degree will be completed in april 2016 . am i allowed to give 2015 Ias exam and can i give interview if i got selected in pre and mains? and what if i cleared interview too ?
  • @monika7 I think 2016 is the year for you.
    "God is great"
  • Is convocation certificate enough? Or do we need to produce all the marks list? Whar is required? Ssc certificate for date of birtH.. and gradualtion certificates . Thats it no?
  • hi i have been shorlisted for a interview at UPSC.I am doing my PG(three year) from a medical college where I have submitted all my originals.College is ready to give me NOC for interview and ctc of all documents but not ready to part away with originals before completion of degree.However UPSC mandates showing of originals at time of interview.My interview is scheduled next week .Pls advice
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog