[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Strategy for Geology optional

edited September 2015 in Geography & Geology
i m thinking f opting geology as my optional in ifs examination..if any experienced player could tell me the strategy,required books,coaching materials..it would be of great help..since m nt taking ny classes and also it is nt my graduation subject..so any kind f hhelp would be most welcome..i checked the existing threads for geology optional..but I dint found ny concrete strategy or as such..so its a request to d experienced players to pls help in dis regard..thankyou
·

Comments

• edited February 2015
    From my limited knowledge,
    Required books for geology:-
    A Textbook Of Geology - P K Mukherjee
    Principles Of Engineering Geology - K M Bangar
    (These two books are for preliminary understanding of the subject ,also cover some topics very well) + Brilliant's material (a must have for topics mentioned below along with the books) + A Geology Dictionary
    Topicwise books:-
    General Geology- A Textbook Of Physical Geology(G B Mahapatra)
    Geomorphology - Any Physical Geography book (Geomorphology part),e.g, Savindra Singh
    Remote sensing,GIS,Areal Photography - Brilliant + Internet
    Structural Geology - Structural Geology (Marland P Billings)
    Palaeontology - No book covers entire syllabus of UPSC.Only Brilliant covers all.If you want to study book, then you can try this - A Textbook Of Palaeontology (M S Chatwal)
    Indian Stratigraphy - (i)Geology Of India & Burma (M S Krishnan)
    (ii)Fundamentals Of Historical Geology And Stratigraphy Of India (Ravindra Kumar)
    Hydrology - Groundwater Hydrology (David Keith Todd)
    Mineralogy - (i)Rutley's Elements of Mineralogy(Gribble)
    (ii)Dana's Textbook of Mineralogy (Ford)
    Petrology - (i)Principles of Petrology(G W Tyrrel)
    (ii)Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology(Myron G Best)
    (iii)Sedimentary Rocks(Pettijohn)/Introduction to Sedimentology(Sengupta)
    Economic Geology - Economic Geology(U Prasad)
    Mining Geology - Brilliant + Internet
    Environmental Geology & Geochemistry - Brilliant + Internet

·
  • @Russanx thanks a lot sir for ur hlp its d most exrensive list I got after surfing for like 2 days #:-S :-?? #:-S...was ur optional geology or u r still preparing..i mean in dat case v cn prepare together splitting d syllabus
    ·
  • I am preparing with geology for 2015.We can prepare together.What's your other optional?
    ·
  • I ll go with forestry...
    ·
  • @Russanx @Aakash90987

Bhai add me too...mine are geology and forestry..and pls tell how can we get brilliant's material? from their coaching centre thru correspondence or some xerox material is available in ORN...

P.S have given 2014 CSE Mains with Philosophy..
    SDM :UP-2015
    ·
  • Contact Jawahar Book Store, New Delhi.No idea about ORN.
    ·
  • Ill be giving with Geology and Forestry / Maths maybe. Bhai @Russanx don't you think only Brilliant notes are sufficient? I mean we don't have much time left. Why such exhaustive list? Please help
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • edited February 2015
    I have thought to refer 1) Savindra SIngh for Geomorphology (i have prepared Physical Geology section) 2) Bangar 3) Brilliant. Are these sources okay at least to fight?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • I have thought to refer 1) Savindra SIngh for Geomorphology (i have prepared Physical Geology section) 2) Bangar 3) Brilliant. Are these sources okay at least to fight?
    haan bhai..its enough! Waise how u got brilliant material? Aapka philosophy h?? I read that you wanna take some optional fr uppcs..better take sw or defense studies..sci subject don't pay much in pcs..
    SDM :UP-2015
    ·
  • Ill be giving with Geology and Forestry / Maths maybe. Bhai @Russanx don't you think only Brilliant notes are sufficient? I mean we don't have much time left. Why such exhaustive list? Please help
    Exhaustive booklist for complete and in-depth understanding of the subject.Brilliant's notes are sufficient but books are needed to deal with the unpredictable nature of UPSC.
    ·
  • @Russanx Dear sir, i am yet to graduate and i am in last semester of my civil engineering. Though i don't have much base in geology but i have studied structural geology in my engineering and found it to be interesting. Can you please tell me if it is possible via self study? I will be giving my attempt in 2016. I have 18 months roughly. You think this much time is enough for me to get the sub command as upsc demands. Your response will be highly appreciated.
    ·
  • Where to get the brilliant tutorials notes? I m from Hyderabad.
    ·
  • @Russanx Dear sir, i am yet to graduate and i am in last semester of my civil engineering. Though i don't have much base in geology but i have studied structural geology in my engineering and found it to be interesting. Can you please tell me if it is possible via self study? I will be giving my attempt in 2016. I have 18 months roughly. You think this much time is enough for me to get the sub command as upsc demands. Your response will be highly appreciated.
    18 months is sufficient to prepare Geology if you prepare full time. Definitely Geology can be prepared by self study but at the initial stage of preparation, understanding terminologies may be difficult.Try good Geology Dictionary/Internet for that.Structural Geology is one of the difficult parts of Geology, as you have already studied that, you have an advantage.All the best.
    ·
  • I also took geology. I have the basic reference books. But i did something different.

I took the syllabus and searched on youtube for lessons. I food some good lessons which gave me an idea of the subject. I found some of the following channels helpful :
    1. .Cathina L Gunn de Rosas DFW [PhD holder + awesome voice]
    2. Worldthq
    (not posting links since its my first post)

Also i visited Bangalore university and met a professor who gave me some notes of the students. Maybe u could try at your local government university.
    I saw the sample material from EvolutionIAS, but i felt that it was not enough. The material was for IFoS Geology.
    Want to get better at english?
    Stop using auto correct.....
    ·
  • *sorry for the repost

I forgot to add this also : If you are new to geology, check The Great Courses : The nature of earth.
    Google "TTC Geology Videos"

its a good introduction to geology if people want to learn more before going deeper in the subject
    ·
  • @ratamahatta Are you from Bangalore? Did you get thru with Geology optional or will be attempting CSE-2015??
    ·
  • @FSAspirant Yes i am from Bangalore. I will be attempting CSE 2015
    ·
  • @ratamahatta Keeping the same optional i.e. Geology for CSE-15? Also how are you planning to go ahead wrt preparing the optional?
    ·
  • @FSAspirant i got some of the reference books from flipkart. Other than that youtube channels of worldethq for paper 2. Paper 1 is pretty straight forward. I am finding statigraphy of India and structural geology hard.

Other chapters are a combination of Geology, Geography, Physics , Chemistry and Biology. And of course , common sense.

WorldeThq Link :
    ·
  • @ratamahatta : Yes same thoughts- Stratigraphy and Rocks in Paper-II even I am finding it tough!!Thats why asked if you are following some strategy for it.

Anyways thanks for the link..will def look into it!! :)
    ·
  • Rocks in paper 2 are very easy.

You need to do 2 things according to me :
    1. Study the epochs in detail
    2. Corelate the environment to various physical activities

you can use the ACF and AFK models to understand about rock composition. Also the reference books are very detailed. So becomes scary for anyone trying to read them.
    ·
  • @ratamahatta ,i am also thinking about taking geology though i am working & have an engg background.i did study 3 months elective subject of plate tectonics during my graduation & familiar with concepts of chemistry(crystals etc).i can spend ~20 hours a week on geology.Do you think i can prepare it on my own using books & internet?
    ·
  • @guest singh I am no expert on the subject. I also started preparing for geology from 3 months ago.

I suggest you go through the previous year papers first and see if you are comfortable with it. I found that applied geology was more easier to relate to than geography but you need to understand the concepts and need a good hold on visualization. I got the reference books from flipkart and other sites and still preparing from them. The subject is really vast and since i do not have a background in it, I do find some parts very hard sometimes. Structural Geology and Stratigraphy are a real pain.

http://forumias.com/discussion/comment/421691#Comment_421691
    Check the link. I gave my views of breakup on geology. It may differ with the way others are preparing.
    ·
  • now i am not sure.i had pub ad as optional for last 2 years but scored only ~110 out of 500 in 2013 & expecting not more than 130 this year.i was thinking that no matter what geology will fetch me at least 140 in worst case scenario & maybe 200+ in best possible scenario(which is almost impossible in pub ad now).what is your opinion regarding this?in that other thread link you posted @dreamzzupsc posted that one requires at least 8 months of prep(assuming full time & not working) & despite clearing GSI exam(that requires geologist qualification) he couldn't clear mains not to mention being a science subject scaling will definitely reduce marks as predicted by him.
    ·
  • @ratamahatta, you have some gmail id or is there any way to send PM here.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog