[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

UPSC or MBA

edited February 2015 in Miscellaneous
I have calls from TISS and XlRI.I had appeared for civil services examination in 2014 and wrote mains (awaiting results). I graduated in 2013 and now have a gap of approximately 2 years.If I sit for another year(for which I am having serious thoughts considering the efforts made in past)and somehow if I dont make it the prolonged gap would have serious repurcussions on my career.I am in a serious dilemma,need some advice,people please help.
·

Comments

• I recommend go for TISS.
    You have age on your side, you can revisit UPSC later. You won't be at a disadvantage because anyways the exam is becoming more GS-focused. Plus, TISS will be an enriching experience, and you might even change your mind about UPSC. I assume you are in the HR program; so make sure you mingle with the MA Social Work people - it will broaden your perspective and horizons.
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
  • I have calls from TISS and XlRI.I had appeared for civil services examination in 2014 and wrote mains (awaiting results). I graduated in 2013 and now have a gap of approximately 2 years.If I sit for another year(for which I am having serious thoughts considering the efforts made in past)and somehow if I dont make it the prolonged gap would have serious repurcussions on my career.I am in a serious dilemma,need some advice,people please help.
    in almost similar situation
    but Civil Services addiction has caught me :( and I am seriously thinking to go all out for CSE only
    Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached :)
    ·
  • Go for TISS - Rukmani riar, Rank 2 - 2012 is from TISS with sociology optional. TISS will give you a better experience to prepare for UPSC. Knowledge & exposure, you gain from TISS will be useful for civil service preparations. It adds value to you & to your resume when you face the interview board ( contrary to whatever the people say, higher education from a very good institute always carry better value in your interviews - it is an advantage but not a must ). You might waste the next two years in CS without clearing it or on the contrary, you might do well in TISS, gain more confidence & knowledge and can clear CS in the very next attempt after TISS. It's all in your attitude, if you are able to take your TISS experience as a part of your CS preparation, you are bound to gain a lot... Thanks
    ·
  • I have calls from TISS and XlRI.I had appeared for civil services examination in 2014 and wrote mains (awaiting results). I graduated in 2013 and now have a gap of approximately 2 years.If I sit for another year(for which I am having serious thoughts considering the efforts made in past)and somehow if I dont make it the prolonged gap would have serious repurcussions on my career.I am in a serious dilemma,need some advice,people please help.

in almost similar situation
    but Civil Services addiction has caught me :( and I am seriously thinking to go all out for CSE only
    +1 civil service addiction is very deep and is more dangerous than cigerette or alchohol addiction.last year I got 2 jobs offers from psu but decided not to join.this again in similar situation.ab aar ya paar hai.
    Tiss is good career back up,so if you want to go for tiss then I think it right decision.on other hand if you are cs pangla like me then don't if you fail then give another try with full prep.gap wagera is imp for admission to mba courses in psu job you can give various excuses-prep for cse is one of my biggest excuse that I often use.rest its your life your choice.
    Remember if you join service at a young age then you would have more oppertunities(in terms of promotion and otherwise).rest is your choice.
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
    ·
  • W2WW2W
    edited February 2015
    UPSC CSE is an annual circus and a vicious cycle. If you manage to clear it, great; else go for a backup after one or two serious attempts. Then keep rolling the dice every year, and with god's grace you will clear it soon. After one serious attempt, every next attempt takes far lesser prep..

But think wisely. MBA is a huge investment of time and money. You will also not get a chance to study for UPSC there, esp in first year. Uske baad bhi there won't be the type of momentum in ur prep you would like to have. And you may have to keep your IAS dream in abeyance for quite some time due to many reasons. And after all that, you may not be even left with the desire to go for it.

btw, you wrote "XlRI".. is it XLRI Jamshedpur ? Have you got admission in one of their two flagship programs ? If yes, go for it. It will give you much better returns on investment. Go for TISS if you believe in the idea of serving and transforming society with your PG degree. If you are just having the interview calls right now (and not final converts), then do go and attend them and try to clear them.. think everything else later.

ATB.
    ·
  • Yes its XlRI Jsr.I have not got an admission,due to appear for my interviews(both BM and HRM) in a short while.Not able to gather any enthusiasm for them and was sizing the options which i have.
    ·
  • Bhai, I have appeared in both these interviews.. It will be a great experience.. seriously.. it will also help you in CSE interview prep.. Their panel is as good as UPSC's.. it will be much more than a mock interview, trust me.. Do go and attend.. and attend with full interest.. take the call later depending upon results n all...
    ·
  • I have calls from TISS and XlRI.I had appeared for civil services examination in 2014 and wrote mains (awaiting results)..
    TISS is a blind choice 1 lakh fees. 16 LPA Placements :)
    but if u are appearing to TISS interview don't mention a word about civil services otherwise god save u :(
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
    ·
  • @W2W bhai, I have a TISS call as well. I got 79 in the written against a cutoff of 75. Pls give some pointers on how to tackle the interview. I assume you are from some top notch b-school.
    ·
  • @breakingbad : bro I had XLRI calls.. no idea about TISS's interview pattern... :(
    ·
  • It's ok bro. I thought you had attended tiss interview as well. @W2W
    ·
  • edited February 2015
    Bhai, me too in the same dilemma. Got admit in isb pgpm 2016 class..Have been working in gail since 3 years and gave mains in 2013 though couldn't clear..i will turn 26 in july..should i join isb and continue with upsc preparation or should i resign my job and prepare for this exam for a final shot..please help..
    ·
  • I would say go for ISB*. With your background and an ISB degree, you can be assured of a well paying job in a good company, and if you want to stick to the energy sector (which is a good idea), you will end up enjoying as much authority and responsibility in a private sector job eventually (if not more). And you'll also get the feeling of kinda working for the country I would imagine. Gas is the new oil (correct me if I'm wrong).

*the only catch being the upfront ISB expense which is about 25L I believe. If that is manageable, then go for it. Or, if the admit can be deferred for a year, then you can go full steam for UPSC 2015 and if it doesn;t work out, join ISB next year. The reason being - once you choose ISB (and the 25L expense), you won't be able to come back full time to UPSC as you'll feel the pressure to earn back the money. And in a couple of years your girlfriend (or parents) will also start pressing for getting married :)
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
  • edited February 2015
    @W2W bhai, I have a TISS call as well. I got 79 in the written against a cutoff of 75. Pls give some pointers on how to tackle the interview. I assume you are from some top notch b-school.
    I had TISS Call
    Few pointers from my side

1. Don't mention that you are preparing for Civil Services ( due to changes in TISS examination pattern Civil Services aspirants find it easier to get the calls in new pattern and some UPSC aspirants, who somehow reached TISS, had pissed off some profs This is entirely confidential information --> came to knw through some friends at TISS :P )
    2. Prepare why HR thoroughly ? ( simply put it in this way "It it the question that decides whether u could get into TISS or not ?" )
    3. Why TISS ? ( you need to be specific, TISS isn't mostly interested in high fundu and gyaan type answers, it really wants the authentic answers why someone wants to study at TISS )
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
    ·
  • Thanks a lot @upsc_cracker. Will prepare why HR, why TISS part carefully and won't reveal the civil services stuff. Can you please elaborate on how some UPSC aspirants in TISS have pissed off the profs there? As for myself, I'm planning to keep a low profile. Thanks again bro! :)
    ·
  • @upsc_cracker Does TISS offer MBA and how are the placements.As there are lot of programs which program is good for placements.Thanks
    You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
    ·
  • Go for MBA as it creapt in ur mind
    Ghandi Nehru ,etc have just selfless service in common.
    Be selfless if u can afford loosing it!!
    ·
  • As an MBA grad from IIM, I must say that knowledge gained in MBA was not totally irrelevant for UPSC as some might say. Make MBA as a backup, but then forget about UPSC for the coming one year atleast (you may attempt in second year of MBA as its a bit relaxed).

Today, my goal is UPSC despite having a stamped H1B visa and a salary of $100K waiting for me if I move to the US. Thanks to MBA degree, bhookha nahi marunga. I lead dual lives like Batman and Bruce Wayne, and switching priorities becomes difficult if you take up a job. Attempted UPSC twice, once with a week long leave and once with a two month leave and trust me, the attempt (2014mains) when I took complete sabbatical was WAY BETTER than juggling between the two.
    There is NO WAY you can balance a demanding job and UPSC. Luckily, my boss was not giving me much work during 2014. In 2015, the boss got fired for having a reportee conducting no meaningful business. I still have the job....irony.

Bottomline: What your heart wants gyaan is bullshit. Anyone would love to be an IAS/IPS because of XYZ reasons which score way above the corporate world. MBA being a costly career backup which you will do only one time (like arranged marriages) you need to give a deep ROI thought. Jigarwaale ho, toh carry on the fight. Statistics favor clean headed (berojgar totally vella no other priority in life) candidates than candidates with dual priorities. Agar jindagi se insecure ho, toh go for an MBA and attempt after two years.
    Judge yourself on how you feel- secure/insecure and how duniyaa judges people who sit at home preparing for this roll of dice. Visiting fb upscmeme page would give ou a rough idea on that....

Best..
    ·
  • Is anybody selected in tiss or xlri?
    ·
  • Can someone with avg acads ever get into iim?Also which are the top 5 clgs for finance?Also is Aiimcat test series worth it?Experienced people please reply.Im going to give my first attempt of CAT and will keep it as a career backup.Im deeply interested in equities domain if UPSC doesn't work out.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
    ·
  • @lolmax What are the big differences you have found between between corporate job and civils? The salery you have mentioned is great and you will never earn close to this in civils.I am curious because I have offers from two IIMs but I am reluctant to join because of preparation. Please give your insight.
    ·
  • edited April 2015
    After getting into civil service and after few years people go for study leave in IIM etc.and get management degrees..are they different from those getting it through cat?? How?
    Though I decay into the fields in the midst of our revenge, I will be reborn seven times to seize my sword!
    ·
  • Why will anyone go to IIMs after civils when there are much better options available. Degrees are same afaik
    ·
  • Yes they go. Thats why i am asking.
    Though I decay into the fields in the midst of our revenge, I will be reborn seven times to seize my sword!
    ·
  • I am going to xlri this year.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog