ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Are jagran josh pdf materials worth buying?

they are giving pdf packages for every subject...at affordable cost

anybody bought them?
·

Comments

• Can you provide appropriate links?
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    why don't you try standard books,that would be more beneficial i think.

p.s. feb-april time period is the DIWALI session for coaching centres, many centres would come up with many materials just to woo/solicit aspirants. but my personal opinion is do not try short cuts still time is left 4 prelims preparation. Chak de yaara. :-h
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • @ambitieux Agree on that. Nothing substitutes the core books.
    ·
  • @sudha There is already a link of essential books for IAS prelims here you can check that.....
    ·
  • @fallen_leaves - true that, there is no short cut to success.

one of my bed is full of my coaching centre's study materials and worthless books on which i wasted money ,but i have not touched them yet. finally i have understood the rule of thr gamble called UPSC.its time to counter attack. :D

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • @sudha - before going with jaagran josh ,have a look on the following thread:

http://forumias.com/discussion/513/list-of-essential-books-for-upsc-prelims-2013#Item_51

·
  • edited February 2013
    @sudha You may try buying one of those and evaluate for yourself how useful they are. Since no one seems to have bought them, no one can exactly tell you about their quality. But most people don't buy them.

If you really wish to, you may go ahead and buy one of those, and see for yourself.
    I hope you are not intimidated by the huge negative response :-)

People are just trying to help :-)
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    My opinion: There's no harm in trying, Rs. 199 is reasonable.
    I am myself checking out environment part @ Rs. 30. How cheap is that? $-)
    Miles away from Ordinary!
    ·
  • I just bought the 5 pdf package excluding the 1 pdf for CSAT....and believe me...it is definitely worth a go....hands down...
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -------Muhammad Ali
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    Buy anythng but study. Since you bought the enviorment section there is no harm in uploading under another thread so that another may be benefitd by it! Look at cyrus_a how he uploaded the test series of CL. Its just an opinion take it or leave it.
    "CHOICE" not "CHANCE" determines destiny.....
    ·
  • the environmental studies
    @neil_143 as u said sir!
    note: i haven't studied it yet. :P
    pdf
    pdf
    environmental_studies_2.pdf
    1M
    Miles away from Ordinary!
    ·
  • @tBag
    thank you mate =D>
    ·
  • btw just skimming through it and found this
    There are several internationally known environmenta thinkers. Among those who have mad landmarks pg 13
    :O
    ·
  • O Boy! You just punctured the whole jagran josh pdf sales funda!
    ·
  • btw just skimming through it and found this
    There are several internationally known environmenta thinkers. Among those who have mad landmarks pg 13
    :O
    Lol
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    I just super-skimmed through the material. Looked vaguely familiar. Some portions are from VR&R notes I think.

It is a mix match of info from here and there. As I type this I am skimming further - don't touch the ecosystems portion from this.
    This is superficial knowledge. You want to do Ecosystem - pick up NCERT, ICSE and supplement it with Goh Cheng Leong - that will clarify your concepts.
    The only reason Wild Ass is mentioned in it - because it was asked in Prelims - but what are the attributes of the Wild Ass and why it is suitable for an arid climate like that - not mentioned. Where was it given - newspaper- when was it given 2011 and again 2012.
    One paragraph on Wetlands without a Mention of Ramsar.
    You want to learn definitions and theories - go right ahead. Ecosystem Chapter in my opinion is very bad.
    Material is a lot in the market. You'll get sucked into a whirlpool. Everything will glitter - it will look like gold. When you start digging you might realise that it was Mica, or worst still Aluminum Foil.

There are few things you can do because it is like getting material under one head. For example medicines and their source. NCERT has lesser. Papaya etc is not given. Quinine etc basic is there in NCERT.
    Go through the list of endemic species.
    (I am also beginning to realise this no longer qualifies as skimming.)
    Conservation - Project Tiger, Project Elephant, Olive Ridley Turtles - rest of the animals they ate it up. Maybe Gharial meat is very tasty for Jagranjosh.

This aunty with the big Feedback Sign - I have plenty of things to tell her.

What my suggestion is - Use this material - read it once - it will give you an idea of what all is there under Env. & Eco. Since our dear friends at UPSC have not given the details in the syllabus. Supplement this with others - NCERT ICSE Goh C.L. and NCERT Geo

See I have just seen it vaguely. This is my vague opinion. Don't be disappointed that you bought it. Use this material like an elaborate index. Read it once if you find the language simple.
    Like the saying goes - back to the Vedas. I say - back to the basics.
    There are no shortcuts in life.

Also @tBag Thank you for putting it up. Since you haven't studied it yet. You know what to study now. :P
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
    ·
  • I second @alexiaaicha. Thanks for the honest first hand review. I would use this material at best for an index. In fact creating a list and populating it with important topics is all I have been talking about since long. Make an index or find one, and start studying.

Wikipedia is your friend.
    ·
  • did i see the word wild ass l0l.
    "CHOICE" not "CHANCE" determines destiny.....
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google