Interview Assistance Program by ForumIAS

Congratulations on reaching the last leg of the Civil Services Examination. We would want you to clear this too. We are working on an Interview Assistance Program. Read here or leave your details by filling this form. Note : Since we have a limited handling capacity, things will happen on First Come First Serve Basis.
Mains Guidance Program 2017 - Schedule B

ForumIAS is now open for admissions to MGP 2017 - Schedule B starting from March 4 Click here to know more and enroll. Note : Number of seats is limited to 100.

Geography Optional for 2016

edited February 2015 in Geography & Geology
Friends I have created this thread cuz I didn't find any single thread for 2016 geography optional aspirants. So those aspirants having geography as optional and going to appear in CSE 2016 gather here and discuss strategies and share doubts and problems. We will collectively find the solutions.

Here I am giving the books which are recommended by toppers and coaching institutes. These are the core books which are needed to read before we go ahead. So there is the list:
(These are core. Can't think about reading other topics without completing these.
1. Physical Geography by Savindra Singh
2. Human Geography by Majid Hussain
3. Indian Geography by D.R. Khullar

Apart for the above mentioned books we will be required to cover these books also:
1. Geographical Thoughts by Majid Hussain
2. Models and Theories by Majid Hussain
3. Biogeography by Savindra Singh
4. Environmental geography by Savindra Singh
5. For remaining topics we need to refer coaching materials or Internet.

Note : I have not mentioned NCERTS and GC Leong cuz you will be reading it for GS. Also as suggested by insights and some successful aspirants we need to have single standard reference book for every topic.
The Road To Success Comes Through Hardwork, Determinations and Sacrifice...
·

Comments

• These are the magazines to be followed by geography optionals:
    1. Yojana
    2. Kurukshetra
    3. Geography and You
    ·
  • i think along with savindra singh for physical, Strahler is very good to understand few concepts. Although it doesn't cover whole syllabus
    Never Out of Fight
    ·
  • Strahler is only for background preparation brother . if u have gone through NCERTs then no need for strahler. However u may go through it if you want. But Modern Physical Geography by strahler and Strahler in out of print in India and no longer available in New book sellers. I had looked for it in secondhand bookbazaar but didn't find.

We should restrict yourself to single source for single topic.
    ·
  • I am typing from a tablet so sorry for spelling mistakes. Will use my laptop when it gets charged.
    ·
  • so many books! i'm sure that you did not mean to read all those books cover to cover...since its your home turf do mention to cover which topic from which book,as im still left with 11th and 12th geography@vidyarthi
    ·
  • so many books! i'm sure that you did not mean to read all those books cover to cover...since its your home turf do mention to cover which topic from which book,as im still left with 11th and 12th geography@vidyarthi
    For Indian geography you will be required to cover NCERTs and only one standard reference book D.R. Khullar. This book is now revised and updated with latest data and information. Also author has made this book more relevant for geography optionals in his latest 3rd edition book. Buy 3rd edition from amazon.in. No need to read any other book or material for Indian Geography. Coaching notes for Paper 2 are just cut and Paste of khullar. But you need to supplement this portion with current affair cuz Paper 1 is static and Paper 2 is comparitively dynamic in nature.

For Paper 1 you will be required to refer many books and also coaching materials cuz there are few topics which are not available in standard reference book. Of course for Paper 1 you need not to read book cover to cover. Even you may skip some topics from which questions are not asked eg there is no questions asked about space and different hypothesis related to formation of earth and solar system though they are part of the syllabus. Savindra Singh has one chapter dedicated for these hypothesis.

I am copy pasting chanchal rana's article about what to read from where:PAPER-1:

Geomorphology: I went through the notes both of Alok ranjan, and Neetu Singh—-PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY by Savindra singh——-NCERT text books along with the diagrams there. APPLIED GEOMORPHOLOGY is a very important part, so trying searching the internet for the various applications like in dam construction, oil exploration & surveying. etc——–Imp: Read the various other names of the same theories as in the name of the authors or any other peculiar names.

Climatology- I read the coaching notes——SAVINDRA SINGH——–NCERT Book——-Prepare well on applied climatology & urban climatology from internet. ——World climatic maps on the Atlases.

Oceanography: NCERT—– coaching notes——-SAVINDRA SINGH (see the diagrams especially) especially the local variations in salinity along with the theories of tide & coral formation.—–for marine resources & pollution refer to internet, any coaching notes & GS knowledge.

Biogeography: NCERT—-RUPA made simple for soil geography——SAVINDRA Singh for factors deciding plant & animal distribution——–internet for some topics like gene pool centres, deforestation——-KURUKSHETRA magazine for social & agro forestry as they come up with interesting examples & classification.

Environmental geography: SAVINDRA SINGH for basic concepts on ecology & cycles————-rest please refer topic wise on internet rather than buying truckload of materials from market. Use your GS knowledge extensively in your answers.
    Perspectives in Human Geography: I referred to Vajiram Notes, DIRECTION IAS notes but cross checked & improvised & cross checked them from internet along with a lot of relevant examples. Please remember a timeline of the various developments in this topic. This is the most important topic in the entire optional.

Laws, Models & Theories in Geography- Coaching notes- Majid Hussain book on models in geography——diagrams very important along with the shortcomings in each models.

Regional Planning- Little bit of coaching institute notes but more of internet. (This was a topic which I never prepared extensively).

Population & settlement Geography: NCERT—-coaching notes——-A few topic from Majid Hussain on Human Geography——understand the subtle difference along with diagrams between satellite towns, Rural urban fringe, sub-urban towns, metropolitan city, leap frog & ribbon settlements—–UN departments websites on population & use internet.———spatial map on population distribution, composition very important.

Economic geography- Read Whittakers classification & the industrial location models————try to figure out their current application or the reasons for non application——-UN websites for famine, hunger (like refer to the Rio+20 document or FAO website)———-internet for mineral resources & forest resources——-human resources from UNDP HDI website.

PAPER II:

For topics on Physical setting, agriculture, industries, trade & transportation, resources, cultural setting, settlement & some contemporary issues:- KHULLAR ——-coaching institute notes———Yojana magazine———NCERT text books———some latest developments from INDIA YEAR BOOK. Emphasis be given more on maps & diagrams in these topics.

Regional Development & planning: Refer to internet on these specific topics——–Planning Commission Website——-Indian Year Book———-Planning history in India from any source.(Special focus on Geographical aspect)

Political Aspects- GS knowledge——–international affairs websites & newspapers or magazines. (Pl. Note: All these topics must have a strong linkage to geography as in physical or human geography. Eg: discussion on india Bangladesh issues should mention land, rivers disputes, migration, ethnicity, their climate thus industries thus import export, trade & transportation links etc rather than much of political or diplomatic angles)

Contemporary Issues- Only internet or any GS material. ———keep yourselves updated on the documents released on important forums such as RIO+20, Cancun, BRICS on humanitarian & disaster issues, Planning commission reports on website (not necessarily only the 12th FYP)—–Yojana magazine.
    ·
  • Remember: Stick to single standard source and revise it again and again.
    ·
  • #single standard source for single topic. However for dynamic source you may be required to refer many news and magazine sites.
    ·
  • For 1, 2, 3: Savindra Singh is more than enough to get your concepts cleared. Keep in mind that Savindra Singh repeats it's content again and again, so don't fall in that trap and try to build bullet point based on keywords.

4, 5: again Savindra is good for some topics (which are exclusively mentioned), and do rest topic from Internet (but keep it limited and avoid studying same topic from multiple resources/websites). Make notes for each topic for later reference and revision.

Economic Geo: Rupa Eco and Social Geo is good.

Settlement Geo: 1st clear concepts from Rupa Eco and Social Geo and then refer Human Geo Majid Hussain for additional reference.

Regional Development & Planning: Again Rupa Eco and Social Geo have covered some topics and will get your concepts cleared but i tried referring 'Regional Planning in India' by Chand & Puri for further reference. But in revision i'll avoid it because i don't want to fall in trap of "more (but useless) study but less outcome" trap. Refer internet for some topics.

Perspective in Human Geography: Get it covered very well and i refer a book Evoln of Geo Thoughts by Majid Hussain. I repeat, do it very well.

Models and Theories: A book on Geo Models by by K. Sidhartha

Note: Get your concepts cleared, don't do rote learning, focus on theories and diagrams, revise and revise, don't fall in trap of doing into PhD level details but also don't prepare it like GS as well. Maintain the balance.
    ·
  • Suggested NY insights

Paper-I

Physical Geography - Savindra Singh
    Modern Physical Geography – Strahler and Strahler (Optional)
    Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong
    Physical Geography Made Simple – Rupa Publication
    Dictionary of Physical Geography – Penguin
    Evolution of Geographical Thought – Majid Hussain
    Economic and Social Geography Made Simple – Rupa Publication
    Models in Geography – Majid Hussain
    Dictionary of Human Geography
    Oxford Student Atlas
    Paper-II

India – A Comprehensive Geography – Khullar
    Regional Planning in India – Mahesh Chand
    India Year Book – Publication Division
    Yojana and Kurukshetra Magazines
    ·
  • @Vidyarthi awsm buddy...hav started reading savindra- physical..
    ·
  • thanks to Vidyarthi for collating the material list :) lest crack it this time.. All the best to all Geo Optional guys n gals :)
    A Soul Force
    ·
  • Those geography optional aspirants who are looking for Strahlar's Physical Geography can download the latest(2013) edition(6th) from here. It is 126 MB file.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cM1c7MvrCjUGNYRHVsd2V1OTQ/view?usp=sharing
    ·
  • The Road To Success Comes Through Hardwork, Determinations and Sacrifice...
    ·
  • I will be sharing more resources for geography optional here in the group so kindly bookmark this discussion so that you cld get notification when I share something here thanks.
    ·
  • @Vidyarthi can u plz tell me which chapters have to read from evolution of geographical thought by MAJID HUSSAIN
    ·
  • I will be sharing more resources for geography optional here in the group so kindly bookmark this discussion so that you cld get notification when I share something here thanks.
    @Vidyarthi I would be really thankful if you could please share the 3rd edition of Khullar.
    Looking forward to it mate.
    "... fir se ud chala ..."
    ·
  • hi guys, is there any ignou or other govt university pdfs available, either in ba or ma geography !!
    ·
  • @Iasahil Chptrs 9-12
    ·
  • hi friends,
    i m in a big dilemma whether to choose electrical or geography as my optional for ias 2016
    as all know syllabus of electrical is vast as compared to geography ,i have seen the last years paper and will be able to solve half of the paper right now but still i am afraid that it might hamper the preparation for other subjects(gs-1,2,3,4).on the other hand is geography which is simple being told by my friend(has better knowledge than me in electrical) and suggested me to opt for geography as it will help in gs mains as he is also going to appear for ias 2016 and we both have no idea about geography or can say negligible knowledge.
    please help me out!!!
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google