NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

What does Appropriation of Tax mean?

edited February 2013 in Polity & Governance
''Service Tax is levied by the Center but Collected and Appropriated by the States"

I know about levy and collection but what's meant by Appropriation?
·

Comments

• Basically the Centre levies the tax.
    The proceeds of the tax are collected by the States and go to the States. The Centre doesn't get the collected tax. The States use the proceeds.
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
    ·
  • Both the tax definition and quantum is decided by the Union, while the state collects it and spends (appropriates) it.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Tax is used by the States for various purposes...that's what is meant by appropriation....
    ·
  • edited February 2013
    ya...got it...

thank you @alex, @Neyawn and @rajiv...
    ·
  • under art 268-A service tax is collected and appropriated by both centre and states. the money does not go to states exclusively
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google