NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Essential Booklist for UPSC Prelims 2016 - Updated

edited September 2015 in Books & Booklists
Below is the list of recommended booklist for Prelims 2015. It has been compiled from the experience of ForumIAS members, and has been updated keeping in mind the UPSC Prelims examination of the past 3 years. It has been taken for the List of books for UPSC Prelims previously existing. 1. Indian Polity by M Laxmikant Latest Edition [click] No any second source. Just one book. There is no alternative to it. You must read it at least 5-10 times. image

2. Indian History - Spectrum Modern India by Rajiv Ahir[click] . It is a summary of Bipin Chandra's India's Struggle for Independence . every question in last prelims and before that which was in "ANSWERABLE" category (some questions are not to be answered by anyone - dont waste time and energy on finding where those questions came from). Update: Bipan Chandra should be kept as an essential read book, because it can really help with both - parts of Prelims & Mains. A few thorough readings should help. image We would recommend aspirants to buy and use both books. Chapters to be seen from here would include Peasant Movements, Tribal movements etc.

3. Indian Culture - Click here for updates sources for Culture including Rank 1 Gaurav Aggrawal's Tips

4. Geography - You will need to do 3 books here. For Principles of Geography Just do Go Cheng Leong - Certificate Physical & Human Geography[click] line by line 4-5 times - every chapter..dont by-heart, but read closely..only memorise conecpets. This is the single book for most Geography concepts. Chapters are short and easy to understand. Has been recommended book for doing basic principles of Geography since Subhra Ranjan topped the Examination almost a decade ago. image Note:- Three topics , namely :- - Monsoons -EL Nino -La Nina is not given very well here, and it is not sufficient from UPSC point of view. You will have to take help from your geography optional friends and either understand it from them or get their notes. - Indian geography books (2 of them) 11th & 12th NCERT. Again do 4-5 times. Any question comin from it should be answerable. Dont be the fool who has read the book but is not able to answer question from it. if u r not able to answer, it means u r not honest in ur effort. You have to do all of the above.(Not my Lines; copied from source :P ) The tea plantation question that came in Mains 2014 - asking why tea plantations were successful in Eastern Himalayas, and not in Western Himalayas could be answered by either common sense or by a reading of the books above. Be thorough with this book. All your competitors will be.

4. Indian economy
- For best strategy, you will need to have a two level approach:- 1. TMH Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh[Latest Edition][click] 2. A second source that has been addd to our reading List this year based on students feedback is March of the Indian Economy by IC dhingra:-

Book Review by Review By AIR - 255 TVARA MISHRA (CSE 2014) topper.

Overall I would think the book is helpful for UPSC and State Service Examination preparation since it covers the basic requirement well-

a) covers the topics in the syllabus well;
b) explains in very simple (even conversational) language;
c) Has interesting illustrations (graphs, charts) and fun-facts thrown in to help the reader connect abstract concepts to the real world;
d) Brief, to the point analysis, hence not very bulky.

It goes beyond other publications in the market since it provides
· Very up-to-date information (Budget/ Economic Survey 2015 is also included, as well as Bills tabled in the Parliament in the past year, role of Niti Ayog) on several topics that other publications in the market do not have. Also small sections on latest developments in international sphere (movements on WTO/ IMF/ SDR/ AIIB/ BRICS bank/ TTP and impact on domestic policy making)

· One WHOLE CHAPTER devoted to the challenges to the new NDA government in the economic sphere and latest developments in the economy.

· Sections from the latest Budget and Economic Survey integrated within the chapters to provide a holistic outlook to the reader.

· Information in a point wise form for several concepts/ topics, therefore very helpful for answer writing and quick recall.

· MCQs at the end of subsections within chapters which are helpful in self-evaluation, and also of the nature which the new prelims pattern has been emphasizing- core understanding of basic concepts. There is a detailed MCQ section at the end for overall evaluation as well.

- 21/21 Economy MCQs in UPSC Paper 1 -2015 could be solved from this book if you read the book thoroughly
- 7/9 Economy MCQs in UPSC GS Paper 1 - 2014 Could be solved from this book if you read the book thoroughly.

Additionally, You may want to read either Vajiram Economy class notes OR Sriram's IAS Economy notes . This will help you for both Prelims as well as mains. Sriram's Economy Notes is an end to end solution for both Mains & Prelims and is the most recommended source. If you like the reading pleasure of a book, do buy books apart from Sriram's Notes. Again..reading is to be line by line..every chapter..at least 5-6 times. You will see ur knowledge grow by leaps and bounds. And GS will be conquerable. Magazine Read at least one magazine every month - dont change ur magazine - try chronicle or wizard. You should have all issues of past one year when u write prelims/Mains. Update: You may still buy a magazine, but magazines have lost relevance for several reasons - (1) Vision IAS Current Affairs Notes has become the standard source for Current Affairs (2) Insights on India 's Secure 2014/2015 answer writing chanllenge is also a great initiative, leaving very little time/other resources to read magazines. Still, if this is your first attempt, it is better to get a magazine, than not to get one. Final Words (1) Its not possible to NOT clear prelim after having done all of the above 5-6 times. honest , hard work discipline is required. (2) Join a good test series, if this is your first attempt. If you do not want to join a Test series, then here is what you can do: If you have a good peer group, try to get test papers from market and practice it at home. Then check and compare score amongst each of you. Make sure you stand at least in top 3 among a group of 5 people. If you are being the last two in your peer group, then either (1) ask your friends not to cheat while writing Test, or better (2) start studying hard, and seek help while there is still time. Members may add to this thread by sharing their thoughts. When in doubt, buy both books. Work hard, and if you spend too much time on ForumIAS.com , try answering questions asked by others - especially threads like Prelims questions and other course related doubts, and staying away from speculation threads. That is not how ForumIAS used to function before Orkut shut down.(grumble) ForumIAS loves you. Love us back by increasing our Facebook page likes to 100,000. We are currently at a pathetic sub 10,000. Cheers!
·

Comments

• edited June 2015

A few points from my side on this post for prelims 2015:

1. Spectrum book on Indian culture is outdated. The following book's link is given in insights blog:

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/indian-art-culture-english/p/itmd345qnkaf9dmg?pid=9788124116470&srno=t_5&query=art+and+culture&affid=iastudymat">http://www.flipkart.com/indian-art-culture-english/p/itmd345qnkaf9dmg?pid=9788124116470&otracker=from-search&srno=t_5&query=art+and+culture&ref=2b61d07e-e15a-4ca6-ac0a-fe0e404383a1</a>

I heard from one friend that this book is far better than the spectrum one. If some of the forum members has this book, then can post the contents of this book (not given in flipkart page) and their reviews vis-a-vis spectrum. Having said that the pdf of culture (amalgamation of relevant GKT materials and other books) given in Raz Kr FB page is better than other sources for both prelims and mains. My take for culture - Either of NIOS/Raz Kr pdf and the book for which I've given the link. It requires 2 sources as importance of culture in both pre and mains cannot be disregarded.

Culture should not be studied at one go. Don't give 2 weeks or 1 month for culture and think you can do justice. IMO, it is very very dry. Do it daily in small doses like 10 pages per day. Revise it in 10 mins the next day. Let it stretch for 3 months, never mind as u are not giving more than 30 to 45 mins per day. Revise the weekly portion every weekend (or any damn day u fix). This way u can complete better and make things stay in ur mind.

2. Ramesh Singh economy book isn't really beneficial if u r okay with basics of economics. GKT material and Sriram material is much better. For once, material is better than textbook here. Economics at classroom articles should help for whatever doubts which we have. I feel reading sriram material and GKT material should make one feel reasonably well with economics. The issue with Ramesh Singh is that it is bulky and tempting to read cover to cover. Cost:benefit factor is less compared to GKT and Sriram.

3. No longer Polity is confined to Lakshmikanth. Last yr prelims of not just CSE but other exams proved this. U need to have a grasp of parliamentary handbook. Check mrunal site. He has divided it into important and unimportant chapters. Also read the basic constitutional principles from NCERT book. Mrunal has again given the list of relevant chapters.

4. Do not ignore science. They are asking very basic to very tough qns. If u ignore science, u can't attempt medium to tough qns and make mistakes in very basic qns bcos ur school concepts are not fully in ur brains. Result is loss of marks. Result is straightaway u r losing close to 10 questions. If u study from ncerts, at least u'll be able to answer basic to medium qns.

5. Environment isn't discussed here. I don't really know what to do but I feel shankar IAS book on environment is much more comprehensive as it covers core env topics, world institutions, climate conferences, biodiversity etc than other books and materials. GKT comes close.

Feel free to correct me and add to my points if I've missed out

·
  • edited April 2015
    @vignesh Thank you for your feedback :-)

All feedbacks and comments shall be included in the original post based and the consolidated list above shall be continuously updated on the basis of member recommendations.
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    Hi there,

Please suggest some book for practising aptitude for CSAT.

Thanks.
    ·
  • edited April 2015

And for history will reading rajiv ahir and bipan Chandra be enough!!!
    And for politics is lakshmikanth enough??

·
  • And for history will reading rajiv ahir and bipan Chandra be enough!!!
    And for politics is lakshmikanth enough??

Yes both of these are more than enough. Nothing else is needed for these 2 subjects.
    ·
  • edited April 2015

Sir is Mahesh kumar barnwal good for geography? Do you need to buy DD basu and Data sunderam for Mains?

I haven't started preparing for mains yet. How much time will it take to finish main portions?

·
  • edited January 2015
    Agree with @vignesh. Parliament handbook (Chapter 1,2,3 &5) for LS MPs should be supplemented with Lakshmikant's book on Polity.
    Link for handbook (PDF): http://parliamentofindia.nic.in/ls/handbook/handbook.htm.
    ·
  • For Indian Heritage and culture: NCERT Fine art books (Class 11 & 12)+ NIOS Material+ Nitin Singhania's notes (easily available at xerox shops in ORN and Mukherjee Nagar). No single book is perfect book for culture and related topics. Reliance on Spectrum's culture book is not advisable.
    ·
  • Agree with @vignesh. Parliament handbook (Chapter 1,2,3 &5) for LS MPs should be supplemented with Lakshmikant's book on Polity.
    Link for handbook (PDF): http://parliamentofindia.nic.in/ls/handbook/handbook.htm.
    do you have those pdfs in consoloidated format such as in zip or rar format to download all at once.
    thanks
    back to Square 1
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    is the part-2(class xii) of ncert's book on art available in market? on ncert's site only first part(class xi) is available.
    are ix-x ncerts+current affairs enough for science or one should read xi-xii's too?
    if one revises bipan's book 4-5 times and prepares chronology like notes from it, is it still helpful to read spectrum's? does the spectrum one add something to bipan's?
    ·
  • and what about the environment from where 30 questions came in prelims 2014..
    ·
  • and what about the environment from where 30 questions came in prelims 2014..
    shankar ias and current affairs
    ·
  • Agree with @vignesh. Parliament handbook (Chapter 1,2,3 &5) for LS MPs should be supplemented with Lakshmikant's book on Polity.

do you have those pdfs in consoloidated format such as in zip or rar format to download all at once.
    thanks
    here you go
    pdf
    pdf
    Parliament.pdf
    Until you're ready to look foolish, you'll never have the possibility of being great.
    ·
  • Please suggestion book for csat and environmet and ecology
    ·
  • Hi there,

Please suggest some book for practising aptitude for CSAT.

Thanks.
    Hey, If you are in Delhi then just go to any xerox store in MN area or ORN market and ask for CLs csat module. Last year i got the whole set for Rs.500. It has about 7 booklets and by my experience is enough to get a first hand insight into the CSAT paper. And from personal experience, I hardly studied from those books for about a fortnight (as I didn't have enough time) but after solving this year's prelims paper i was comfortably around 145-150 in csat paper out of 185. What i particularly liked was the way solutions have been written, especially for the verbal part. Give it a try if you like, or maybe others on this forum can help. :)

·
  • edited April 2015

- Shankar IAS Envronment
    - Nitin Sighnia notes for culture
    - New Vishal's previous year solved paper (Not Arihant's)
    - For current affairs = Mrunal + GKT + Vision IAS (Although not important for prelims)
    - Modern History = Spectrum (Rajiv Ahir)
    - Geography = Old + New NCERTs

I am also going to <i>rattofy</i> Lucent's GK book for factual part. It also helps us in other examination.

·
  • Any review of SPECTRUM POLITY...This book has become criticaly endangered,no one knows about it.
    Personally I found it better than Laxmikant becsuse it discussed related issues at the end of each chapter.

·
  • ...and thanks a lot to forumias.
    We love u too.
    ·
  • This list is very well compiled and extremely helpful. Just as detailed analysis and break up is given for paper 1, I would request you to please elaborate book list or manual which has been used by majority of aspirants. A little hint also would be really helpful.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
    ·
  • I don't think any thing else is required for Polity other than Laxmikant. I could solve all 11 or 12 questions of polity correctly though Laxmikant only. Nothing else is needed.

For Environment GKT module is also very good and can be read for free from its website.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google