ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

West Bengal Home State - Interview Question Preparation

edited January 2015 in Interview Preparation
Let's start accumulating relevant data about our home state for interview prep.
Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
·

Comments

• 1. Formation
    2. Partition
    3. Enclaves and exclaves
    4. Gorkhaland
    5. Growth and development, including issues
    6. Law and order issues including crimes against women
    7. Saradha scam
    8. New districts - criteria, what they are, polity issues
    9. Commissionerate system of police
    10. Names of top people
    11. Naxaliam - origns, history, affected districts, measures, jungle mahal, etc
    12. Khagragadh and terrorism issues
    13. Land laws / Land ceiling acts
    14. Student politics
    15. Indo-Bangladesh foreign relations including all issues such as infiltration, cattle smuggling, border issues, Teesta, extremism, etc.
    16. Chicken neck
    17. Sundarban and ecological issues
    18. Why so few in CS
    19. State's economy and debt burden
    20. Issues related to entire eastern India, such as BGREI
    21. Bengal's culture / cultural capital, KMOMA, KIFF, Book Fair, Academy of fine arts, theatre, Tollywood, other static portions
    22. Falling fertility rates - TFR
    23. River pollution
    24. Tourism industry
    25. Kolkata metro
    26. Other cities and towns of importance

What else?
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • What happened to nicco park?
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
    ·
    It's still open afaik. It's 5 mins from my house.
    ·

I was really liked that place along with science city when I first visited kolkatta some 10 years ago.
    ·

I was really liked that place along with science city when I first visited kolkatta some 10 years ago.
    Even I visited the place 10 years ago. :D
    ·
  • Why was victoria memorial constructed and who was responsable for it?
    ·
  • Why was victoria memorial constructed and who was responsable for it?
    http://www.victoriamemorial-cal.org/history.html

Straight from the horse's mouth. :D (I don't know much).
    ·
  • 1.lack of industrialization/decline/closure of industries
    2. labour unions/privatization of public firms
    3.football clubs
    4.arsenic in water
    5 high , political animosity
    6.haldia petrochemicals
    7.land issues for allocating industries
    8.brand bengal industrial conference
    9.jangalmahal issues
    10.decline of jute industries
    11.shift from writers building/bbd bag
    12.cuisine/food/sweets
    13.great eastern hotel
    14.historical buildings/sites in districts/kolkata
    15.culture-baul songs,rabindra sangeet.kalighat paintings,writers,katha stich etc.

pour in more....

:D
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
    ·
  • 1. Chou Dance
    2. Football and cricket and other sports administrative authority ?
    3. despite of presence of central force (BSF) why the indo Bangladesh border remains porous ?
    4. review of performances of tea estates.
    5. miss match between engineering collage pass outs and job opportunity.. why ?why there are less number of private medical institutes here to fill up the vacancies.
    6. Major Eco tourism projects in the state.
    7. performance on renewable energy sources.
    8. Student Politics .. Pros and cons .. etc..
    ·
  • Name all the villages that were combined in order to establish kolkatta?who was responsable for it?
    ·
  • What is significance of holwell monument?which freedom fighter launched agitation demanding its removal?
    ·
  • what is significance of bbd bagh?by what name was it earlier called?
    ·
  • I have kept West Bengal at no.9 in the prefrence list. Will they grill me about it?
    ·
  • Reason for creation of Alipurduar? Mamta did had this to say:
    "The distance of certain areas in the Alipurduar district from Jalpaiguri district headquarters was 145 km and it would take hours for people to reach offices to avail government facilities, Ms Banerjee said explaining the reasons for bifurcation of the district."

I don't find the reason convincing enough.

This answer could attract a counter question as following:
    Do you support the formation and bifurcation of states as per that logic?
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    1) Entrepreneurial spirit is missing amongst the youth of Bengal. They are more service oriented. Reasons
    2) Recent deaths of tea garden workers due to malnutrition. As a DM what are the steps you can take to secure their livelihood. (While Vandana Yadav madam was the DM of Jalpaiguri she found out an innovative solution to re-employ these out of work tea garden workers. Google to know more about it.)
    3) WB is the leading state as far as MSMEs are concerned. What has worked in our favour.
    4) Despite tremendous potential to become a hotspot for tourists, WB has shown a lacklusture performance in tourism. Reasons
    5) Since the centre recently got a green signal from WB regarding the land border agreement with Bangladesh so LBA remains important
    6) Because of high population density, land holdings in WB is quite fragmented. Some innovative solutions to aggregate the land for infrastructure and industrial projects.
    7) Steps taken by the state govt to control the rising pollution level of Ganga. (I guess the answer would be none :P )
    8) WB is particularly vulnerable from ponzi schemes. Reasons. (Lack of financial inclusion could be one of the reasons)
    9) The culture of political violence in WB. Administrative steps to be taken to counter it.
    10) Despite having the strategic advantage of location to develop into a gateway for the north-east and south-east Asia, WB has failed to take advantage of it for the purpose of trade and commerce. Why?
    ·
  • 1. kanyashree scheme
    2. Agricultural progress vs industrial backwardness
    3. resource reach region of rarh bangla
    4. kolkata as a primate city
    5. development of PRI
    6. issues related to coal mines
    7. north Bengal-Switzerland ; kolkata-london how?
    8. 35 yrs left front vs 3 yrs TMC govt?
    9. dev of service sector
    10. compare social indexes ob bengal with India
    11. Child marriage
    12.Agricultural issues - small holdings , lack of mechanisation
    ·
  • Reason for creation of Alipurduar? Mamta did had this to say:
    "The distance of certain areas in the Alipurduar district from Jalpaiguri district headquarters was 145 km and it would take hours for people to reach offices to avail government facilities, Ms Banerjee said explaining the reasons for bifurcation of the district."

I don't find the reason convincing enough.

This answer could attract a counter question as following:
    Do you support the formation and bifurcation of states as per that logic?
    though the logic is spurious, but it is a fact here . kamakhyaguri from jalpaiguri town is 153 kms , for simple govt formalities people waste a good two days for the distance

·
  • If those living in Kolkata right now could kindly update the topics on current affairs that have been regularly appearing in the local newspapers there, it would be of great help. Just name of the topics would do.

Thanks.
    ·
  • Let's sort these things into GS-syllabus-type sections like art, history, geography, polity, etc. Does anyone have the WBCS syllabus in pdf format? It might contain some additional points.
    ·
  • Let's sort these things into GS-syllabus-type sections like art, history, geography, polity, etc. Does anyone have the WBCS syllabus in pdf format? It might contain some additional points.
    Here's the syllabus. But nothing useful is written over there
    pdf
    pdf
    SYLLABUS-WBCS'14_14-03-14.pdf
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google