[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Cricket as a Hobby

I am yet to give Prelims but i am starting this thread as i always wanted to know what kind of questions can be asked regarding Cricket. Mains is over and so thought this is the right time. Please contribute.
pre - 2, mains - 1*
·

Comments

• I have written a few articles on Cricket and have mentioned that in my DAF. I have also played for my school team. So I am expecting detailed questions going back to the history of Cricket in India. Will also brush up facts like circumference of a cricket ball and such.
    One man can change the world with a bullet in the right place.
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    Some questions I can think of:

1) What do you think of the IPL. Do you think it facilitates corruption in the game? Will too much IPL drive youngsters away from the longer format of the game?

2) How can we improve our performance abroad?

3) What are the various types of balls used in International cricket?

4) Name some famous cricket gear manufacturers in India and abroad.

5) Sachin v Bradman.

6) Who is the current Ranji champion? How long is a typical Ranji game?

7) Is Sreeni owning an IPL team a clear case of conflict of interest?

8) Pros and cons of DRS. Why is the BCCI opposed to it?

9) Have you heard of the Bombay Quadrangular? When did India play its first Test match.

10) What is the length of a cricket pitch?

Frankly there could be a hundred questions on Cricket.
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    @sniper
    I played cricket till 2013. never became a national player though but played for Vengsarkar's academy in Mumbai and huge number of matches in school cricket. Got into probables for Mumbai U-15 once, never made it.
    I have an excellent book of History of Indian Cricket. Yes, these questions are worth answering. Also, can we expect very technical questions like why Pujara Consistently failed in this Australia's tour or why was Vijay so successful and so on
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    I don't think they will go into the performance of specific players on recent tours but there is nothing that stops them either. There can be technical questions though. They may ask you to differentiate between a leg spinner and an off spinner and why throwing is a problem with the latter. Or the reason why the ball swings.

Is that book on the history of Cricket 'A corner of a foreign field' by any chance?
    ·
  • They might ask about chucking( illegal bowling action).Recent controversy going on , with Some Players
    suspended.
    ·
  • Wont they ask to locate field position like gully , third-man , point , silly point , covers etc .. :O
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • They might ask about chucking( illegal bowling action).Recent controversy going on , with Some Players
    suspended.
    Can somebody explain what constitutes illegal bowling action?
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    Allowed angle to bend elbow 15 degrees and if you cross it , say 16 degree or plus , then its chucking ..
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • @Vibin
    Tell me one thing, how can we answer if they ask a field position? Say Covers, how can we explain them? I mean we can say that generally to the right hand side of the point when a right handed batsman bats, but then them may ask what is point and so on..

Also, i remember one good question about field placements, For Rt handed Batsman, we usually see that a left handed fielder fields on point and vice versa for left handed batsman. Why?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • @sniper
    No. Its illustrated History of Indian Cricket. Btw, how's the book which you have mentioned?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • @Chomuphilosopher Its brilliant!
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    @Vibin
    Tell me one thing, how can we answer if they ask a field position? Say Covers, how can we explain them? I mean we can say that generally to the right hand side of the point when a right handed batsman bats, but then them may ask what is point and so on..

Also, i remember one good question about field placements, For Rt handed Batsman, we usually see that a left handed fielder fields on point and vice versa for left handed batsman. Why?
    I remember in CSE of CAPF interview the field location was asked by one of the member by handing over a piece of paper to the candidate .

Your second question is debatable but still it holds a point .. To pass ball throw Point area , batsman will slice the ball so hard , which could make the ball to spin .. Have you seen that in replay .. ? Yes , right .. :) For eg : RH batsman smacks the ball it could keep traveling to the left hand side of fielder .. So its easy for fielder to stop it and throw the ball with his left hand without passing over to his right hand ..

Use the same logic with LH batsman and right hand fielder in Point .. :-h
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    @Vibin
    right. My coach had asked this when i was 12 and started cricket. Btw, seems like you have played some quality cricket. Is it so?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • @Vibin
    right. My coach had asked this when i was 12 and started cricket. Btw, seems like you have played some quality cricket. Is it so?
    Me no no , I just played cricket just for fun .. My father made me to watch cricket so that I could learn proper English :)) .. I love to hear commentary and post match analysis .. Oh Boy I forget that you played in highest level , Sorry brother :-t
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • @Vibin

Me no no , I just played cricket just for fun .. My father made me to watch cricket so that I could learn proper English :)) .. I love to hear commentary and post match analysis .. Oh Boy I forget that you played in highest level , Sorry brother :-t
    One thing is certain, you can 'nail' any Cricket question. Nailed it for four!! :)>-
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • last year i was asked about a match which happened just a night before the interview and fortunately due to my hardcore following of cricinfo i managed to answer that
    basically they can ask anything but technical terms like questions on fielding questions are rare but ofcourse if that fielding position is in news than chances are that they might ask it
    example-short leg or some other close in fielders like face as certain issues of physical threat is associated with it
    but normally question ranges from issues associated with it such as betting fixing , drs , dukworth lewis rule ,
    or burning issues like chucking , hotspot , sledging and sendoffs
    in past some have been asked about recent matches too like i was ofcourse and also to someone from forumias only was asked about t20 wc final why yuvi failed? was it the right decision to send him up? etc..
    other imp terms-googly , backfoot no ball , sliders , doosra , carrom ball , knuckle ball etc..
    all depends upon the mood of the interviewer what he/she wants to ask but rest assured it won't create much problem ofcourse if someone seldom watches or play it but have mentioned it as hobby as those who play it or watch it also have the habit to discuss and analyze a lot about it some toh even eat and breath cricket
    so it won't be a big problem but a healthy preparation is never a bad thing is it?
    upsc is a like a sticky wet we need to be sure about our footwork(in this case our WORD-WORK) and need to choose our shots carefully :)>- :)
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
    ·
  • edited January 2015
    @mnrnjn
    Yes, as wet as Kanga pitches, when we go on frontfoot to defend, the clay of the pitch first hits the bat and then the ball. Lol! Btw what did they ask you?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • @mnrnjn
    Yes, as wet as Kanga pitches, when we go on frontfoot to defend, the clay of the pitch first hits the bat and then the ball. Lol! Btw what did they ask you?
    about england vs srilanka match(may 22 and my interview was on may 23)
    which england won and i think chris jordan took some 3 wkts in that match and played a very handy knock towards the end
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
    ·
  • I played gully cricket a lot. Got hit in the left eye and still the repercussions are there. No love lost.
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
    ·
  • I played gully cricket a lot. Got hit in the left eye and still the repercussions are there. No love lost.
    Bhai are you P. Bharadwaj?
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • MY hobby is not playing cricket, but what you guys think :
    Why is the BCCI opposed to DRS?
    ·

Bhai are you P. Bharadwaj?
    No bro. Who is he?
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
    ·
  • I wrote one of interest area in my DAF as :

1. CRICKET,WANTS TO PUBLISH STUDY PAPER IN CHUCKING.

I hope they will ask me on it....
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog