ForumIAS Open Test 1: Results will be declared by 9PM, 12 th December.
Candidates can write Test till 2PM , 12th December by visiting Center or online by Clicking here Your OMR sheets are being manually evaluated.

[Chess Enthusiasts] Chess as hobby for interview and everything else

I think, forum must have good number of players of this game.
Lets start discussing the game and related stuff for interview.
We can also zero down on any one platform where we can play also.
IRS-IT [2016]

Comments

• @ MisfitMedico

On chess.com?
  • I am always ready for a good game of chess :)>-
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • I am always ready for a good game of chess :)>-
    You a regular there?
  • @cestrum_nocturnum

usually I play through mobile.
    And sometimes on computer [Lucas' chess].
    Not much online. but now looking forward to it.
    post your favorite sites which are user friendly.

@LuV
    anytime mate, after 2 days. As of now lit bit busy at my native place.
    So can't stay online for long.
    I think you are in my gmail chat list. so will ping you and we can have a
    really good game.
    IRS-IT [2016]
  • @ MisfitMedico

I like the ease of use of www.chess.com
    Waiting time is nil. Over 10000 players are usually online. Also you may customize the choice of your opponents.
  • ok..Will go through this platform.
    Have you written Chess as a hobby in DAF ?
    I have mentioned it. So any idea, what kind of questions they may ask in interview ?
    IRS-IT [2016]
  • @LuV Bhai is thread ko to "announcement" me daal do yaar.......Kafi kaam ka thread hai ye...Hobbies pe discussion , really a nice initiative.
  • ok..Will go through this platform.
    Have you written Chess as a hobby in DAF ?
    I have mentioned it. So any idea, what kind of questions they may ask in interview ?
    Yes, I have mentioned Chess as a hobby. There are infinite number of questions that may be asked. In my opinion, it is futile even to jot them down. If you love chess and love talking about it, interview won't be an issue.
    We can have a general discussion here and it will automatically take care of the interview. Still if you want a list of questions, I would love to ask a few.
  • yes..You ask them..that way we can prepare for it through the discussion.
    IRS-IT [2016]
  • @cestrum_nocturnum bhai ask some interview type questions related to chess.
    back to Square 1
  • @cestrum_nocturnum bhai ask some interview type questions related to chess.
    what is your opening move ? King's gambit , Berlin Defence ?
    first person to be honored with the title of dasasahasratikapati on forumias
  • 1. Your favourite opening as white and black? Counter questions shall follow
  • edited December 2014
    Hehe..i have my own move..i use a knight at first and a pawn above knight one step ahead or 2 knights forward unless the opponent threatens me too early..i play mostly defensive, making king go into one corner with heavy defense with castle and pawns etc..my queen and knight are the lead attacker...knights being my fav. :D known for surprise attacks
    We can have a match someday in chess.com
    back to Square 1
  • @ aamengineer

i think you are talking about King's Indian or Barcza opening. Google and revert if I am right? I have an interesting follow up question.
  • @aamengineer bhai you don't know much about technical aspect of the game..don't mention it in your hobby
  • @aamengineer bhai you don't know much about technical aspect of the game..don't mention it in your hobby
    i don't think it's a big deal provided he backs it up confidently. To give you an example, my younger brother has a very decent rating and has represented his school, college, company. But he has never studied even Sicilian defense, his game being very intuitive and tactical.
  • I think openings and all becomes too professional for them. They will be more interested in knowing your awareness of the tournaments going around. Most importantly the recently concluded world championship. Questions like what do u think was the final nail in anand's consecutive failure
  • @cestrum_nocturnum Whats your rating bro ?? and are you there on chess.com ??
  • edited December 2014
    @aamengineer bhai you don't know much about technical aspect of the game..don't mention it in your hobby
    Bhai, i dnt knw much about the technical stuff, looking for it in this forum. I have put it in games section not in hobby
    This chess is family game of ours, we play by local standards, i played since very young age. Hope we play a match someday. ..i occassionally play in chess.com. Wish to meet you. I have beaten many people in chess( mostly offline)
    back to Square 1
  • Mee totoo. Anybody registered to get their official rating from FIDE? Guess we need to play some OTB tourneys.

I repeatedly mentioned chess during my last int. but they didn't ask anything from it.

Can we use some mobile platform to play? Its far more convenient. Lichess is what I used, really cool site. Chesscube is another but it has gone progressively money minded.

@aamengineer : lets play sometime.
  • edited December 2014
    Just wondering if chess is solved in the near future...
    Would it become trivial like tic tac toe...?
    #Solving_chess
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
  • edited December 2014
    Someday surely... \m/ @RDDR
    back to Square 1
  • Just wondering if chess is solved in the near future...
    #Solving_chess
    quantum computers can do that, if they are developed.
    back to Square 1
  • guys, any idea whether chess was first developed in India?
    back to Square 1
    #Solving_chess
    Not really
    chess can even be solved without quantum computers...
    and even they are not too far fetched...
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
  • edited December 2014
    Just wondering if chess is solved in the near future...
    #Solving_chess
    Not really
    hehe i was saying only for brute force technique.. hope other ways r developed soon.
    btw any idea of ancient- indian connection with chess?
    back to Square 1
    #Solving_chess
    Not really
    hehe i was saying only for brute force technique.. hope other ways r developed soon.
    btw any idea of ancient- indian connection with chess?
    chaturanga it was called in ancient India.
    i don't think it's a big deal provided he backs it up confidently. To give you an example, my younger brother has a very decent rating and has represented his school, college, company. But he has never studied even Sicilian defense, his game being very intuitive and tactical.
    yes they may not ask . But , if one of the board member turns out to be a chess enthusiast , he me grill one on it.
  • @foxtrot

If the board member is a positional player, he won't appreciate. If he's a tactical player, he'll understand.
    #Solving_chess
    Not really
    Not really. Solving in its truest sense would mean going through every possible position. Even now thoughthough chess engines are far too strong for human players but it essentially involves cheating by using tables. Computers would be unuseless without them especially in openings.

All in all prospects of truly solving chess are slim at best as of now.

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog