43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Sociology optional: Guidance needed

Hi friends,

I am preparing for CSE 2015. I am a working guy. Need some guidance on paper on socio 1 & 2.
Haralambos (orange cover): I read as per syllabus. But few chapters are covered in this.
Haralambos (blue cover)..Kindly suggest which topics are necessary to cover from this book...
Giddens: yet to open...Kindly suggest the topic which must be covered from this...
Ritzer: is it mandatory???? Should I read all the thinkers or as per syllabus..
paper 2:
sindhury madam's notes: I read it but not satisfied much due to vagueness of handwriting...is it mandatory to rely on notes..?
Ahuja: I have read only the chapters on stratification, family, religion..should I complete this book??
M.N. Srinivas: completed
Y. Singh: completed
Veena Das: do I need to open this book???
Any other books/materials/notes that you suggest??????
My city neither houses any good coaching nor my working hour permits to join others.
..please help ...

·

Comments

• @navingreen
    I'm yet to begin my Socio prep. Can you plz suggest the particular order of books and topics which needs to be done for a beginner with Engg background? Should I start off with NCERT & move to Blue Harlambos?
    ·
  • Harlambos and Holborn the blue book is needed for Paper 1.

I will also suggest joining some test series - studying in isolation is not good. Good luck!!!
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-J3Rig6mrJhGECH-yVMwSg
    ·
  • @techeck ...though i am not the right person to ask from,,, I started with harlambos orange cover book....
    ·
  • Hi friends,

I am preparing for CSE 2015. I am a working guy. Need some guidance on paper on socio 1 & 2.
    Haralambos (orange cover): I read as per syllabus. But few chapters are covered in this.
    Haralambos (blue cover)..Kindly suggest which topics are necessary to cover from this book...
    Giddens: yet to open...Kindly suggest the topic which must be covered from this...
    Ritzer: is it mandatory???? Should I read all the thinkers or as per syllabus..
    paper 2:
    sindhury madam's notes: I read it but not satisfied much due to vagueness of handwriting...is it mandatory to rely on notes..?
    Ahuja: I have read only the chapters on stratification, family, religion..should I complete this book??
    M.N. Srinivas: completed
    Y. Singh: completed
    Veena Das: do I need to open this book???
    Any other books/materials/notes that you suggest??????
    My city neither houses any good coaching nor my working hour permits to join others.
    ..please help ...

Stay away from the coaching notes.. Sure short recipe for disaster.. Make your own notes.. refer to books and internet.. coaching should be referred to as a last resort, on topics which are difficult to find elsewhere..
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
    ·
  • @navingreen blue one harlambos is good read the topics mentioned in syllabus eg-religon politics startification methodology etc...
    always keep the syllabus nd refer it all the time
    ritzer-first iwuld suggest cmplte thinkers frm blue book and ignou than if u have tym den go to ritzer
    No need to rely on other notes make ur own notes that wuld be gud enuf
    veena das is a good book but again patience hoga end me than padhana
    no need for coaching self study is good enuf
    finally if possible den join some test series but don't expect too much from test series real test won't be anywhere near to any coaching test series
    ehh what's up doc!!!!
    ·
  • @mnrnjn , @abhinitb : can u plz refer my comment in post #2 and solve my query too? thanks..!!
    ·
  • Guys,
    What's difference between blue and orange book? ?
    I am reading orrange book....

Am I doing wrong thing? ??

Plz guide. ..
    ·
  • Harlambos and Holborn the blue book is needed for Paper 1.

I will also suggest joining some test series - studying in isolation is not good. Good luck!!!
    +1
    Also given th dynamic nature of qs asked, esp in P1 this year, relying only on past year qs doesn't seem enough imo.
    ·
  • @techack first start with ncert get a hang of the subject than move to harlambos blue book suplement it with ignou books esp for topics not given in blue book after this try to solve sm questions see where u stand
    as for ritzer go for it once all is cmpltd
    it's not the book that matters but what u study that matters focus on building ur concepts and fundamentals no need go for fancy books nly focus on basic and fundmental books that will be more den enuf :)>-
    ehh what's up doc!!!!
    ·
  • @all... please guide how to approach for paper 2....there is dearth of good books for p 2 which can cover entire syllabus....Is going through all the ignou material required????
    ·
  • Have anyone heard abut aditya mongra as.teacher for sociology ?

Thinking to join sociology class room in delhi to basically learn what is sociological perspective ,how to make a general answer sociological

I don't wanna join big batch classes
    My current options

Vikas ranjan chronicles ias
    Biphash sharma
    N this mr aditya mongra

Guys do give suggestions n advice
    ·
  • edited December 2014
    Cn any bdy tell me basis of industrial class structure in India??
    ·
  • Hi,

I am not a sociology student, but have been roomies with a sociology candidate who did finally make it. For socio , I do have some unsolicited advice.

In ORN there is this institute called NICE IAS. As unpromising as the name may sound (and the classroom, and the first look and talk with the teacher - who is a very very simple man, with very little intrigue of a glib coaching teacher.), he is silently known as the best Test series guy among Socio students.

Do gather some information about him, and do consider him.

Some positives about him:

He has has very high success ration among his students
    His Test Series , expensive, but hits the bull's eye.
    BikerGuy, my ex-roomie, was one of the guy's who knew more sociology than any other person I know - and this any other includes "several top 200 rankers" whom I had the chance to interact with over ForumIAS and offline. Bikerguy got IRS last time, and he was full of praise for this guy. He vouched that Praveen Kishor's teaching and test discussions + answer writing skills were exactly what UPSC wanted. If I had socio, I would join him.

Secondly, because of this word of mouth publicity, several people in my building also joined him, and I did not hear anything negative about him yet. Another guy, a usual critique of all teachers that he has ever been taught, and usually has a negative take on everything in the universe, was also praise for him, and said he had benefitted from him, when I met him after my Mains examination. So i thought to mention it here.

His test series is almost like a crash course, and you will need the patience to sit through hours of discussion class. So if you have not done any classes for socio anywhere, you should be able to benefit from the test series. The teacher is not very motivating himself, but he delivers in terms of UPSC score, more than Upendra or Vajiram Sir, as far as test series is concerned. My roomie also got the advantage because he had the ability to sit through 2-4 hours of discussions and he said that he benefited from this test series despite having done Vajiram's socio and studied Upendra's notes + His father also cleared the exam with socio, and had his own dump of old notes and books

A word of caution though - The teacher might be a gem, but he wont look like so. He is also very laid back, and doesn't stress out too much. His post prelims test batch will be full (and he wont do overtime correcting answers because he is, for a lack of better word, a bit lazy), but his current test series batch is more likely to me empty. So any of you who are wondering about his test series may consider this guy, after consulting other people. Note that you will not benefit by just writing the test, but by discussing your answers with him, and asking him what to change + attending the test discussion class which will be more like full syllabus revision (which is the important part.)

I did not see any mention of this guy, and hence thought to suggest his name here. I have met him , but the guy is low on marketing skills, and you won't be , as I said, impressed , or be too sure to join him. Anyone here who joined his test series may consider chipping in his/her opinion?
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • @neyawn u take on class room coaching in sociology,I am not looking for big batches so can't join upendra /mahapatra mainly looking for guidance how to write in sociology n maybe material in few topics in paper 2.

Anyway thanks man I will definitely give this guy a shot sply in test series as I haven't join any in sociology yet .

Thanks dude
    ·
  • @neyawn u take on class room coaching in sociology,I am not looking for big batches so can't join upendra /mahapatra mainly looking for guidance how to write in sociology n maybe material in few topics in paper 2.

Anyway thanks man I will definitely give this guy a shot sply in test series as I haven't join any in sociology yet .

Thanks dude
    I only know of Upendra & Mahapatra in classroom program. And yes their classes will be kinda full.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited December 2014
    Hi all, I have attended Mohapatra Sir's classes in 2012.
    There are some basic facts which need to be known about all and any coaching in Delhi:
    1) None of them will complete syllabus

2) None of them will give you a good list of books to read

3) There are all type of students in the class, so the teacher is not always teaching very hi-fi stuffs, because some may not understand

4) The complete graduation syllabus will need to be covered in 4 months which is impossible to do

5) Not many of them will give you updated facts and figures (more in case of sociology) because it requires a lot of time and these teachers do not have that due to classes going round the year

All in all, coaching may not be the elixir to get good marks

Now, coming to books:
    1) The benefit of reading books will accrue only if it is revised and this is most important thing. We can read a lot of books but it becomes very difficult to recollect them in exams.

2) This becomes more pervasive in case of sociology because one has to remember the names of thinkers and there are a lot of perspectives

3) In case of Indian sociology, the language become very difficult to comprehend especially for engineering background students. Many book like Ghanshyam Shah are of the format of literature review and it becomes difficult to make short notes or recollect during the exams.

4) For Paper 1, many books contain data, facts and research of western societies which may not be completely relevant for UPSC

5) All books will contain only the same set of perspectives. So, only one book should be preferred for one topic.

All in all, books are useful only when they are limited and one is able to recollect during the exams

So my advice:
    1) You may join some coaching, but it may not be sufficient. In Mohapatra sir's classes, revise only the dictation stuff.

2) With coaching, read the stuff from a limited set of books, list of which you may get from the friends

3) While reading for Paper 1, you can ignore those data and facts which are of Western countries. For instance, voting pattern in Britain may not be relevant to UPSC

4) For paper 2, read books which summarise rather than literature review kind of books. Else, read coaching printed material of UIAS or Vajiram or some other coaching

5) Always keep in mind that this stuff is being read for being recollected during exams.

6) During the second reading, make short notes.

7) Revision of all the stuff that you have read is essential.

If someone asks, I will give my set of books which I found useful
    ·
  • @GreyMatterRules Go ahead buddy, list the books you read; it will be great if you can reflect the syllabus topics you covered from each source.
    There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.
    ·
  • @GreyMatterRules pls mention the chapter wise resources....it would be of great help....
    ·
  • @GreyMatterRules

agree with 90% of your views..coachings are not every persons cup of tea.
    please list the book sources you used.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google