ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Sociology optional: Guidance needed

Hi friends,

I am preparing for CSE 2015. I am a working guy. Need some guidance on paper on socio 1 & 2.
Haralambos (orange cover): I read as per syllabus. But few chapters are covered in this.
Haralambos (blue cover)..Kindly suggest which topics are necessary to cover from this book...
Giddens: yet to open...Kindly suggest the topic which must be covered from this...
Ritzer: is it mandatory???? Should I read all the thinkers or as per syllabus..
paper 2:
sindhury madam's notes: I read it but not satisfied much due to vagueness of handwriting...is it mandatory to rely on notes..?
Ahuja: I have read only the chapters on stratification, family, religion..should I complete this book??
M.N. Srinivas: completed
Y. Singh: completed
Veena Das: do I need to open this book???
Any other books/materials/notes that you suggest??????
My city neither houses any good coaching nor my working hour permits to join others.
..please help ...

Comments

• @navingreen
    I'm yet to begin my Socio prep. Can you plz suggest the particular order of books and topics which needs to be done for a beginner with Engg background? Should I start off with NCERT & move to Blue Harlambos?
  • Harlambos and Holborn the blue book is needed for Paper 1.

I will also suggest joining some test series - studying in isolation is not good. Good luck!!!
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • @techeck ...though i am not the right person to ask from,,, I started with harlambos orange cover book....
  • Hi friends,

I am preparing for CSE 2015. I am a working guy. Need some guidance on paper on socio 1 & 2.
    Haralambos (orange cover): I read as per syllabus. But few chapters are covered in this.
    Haralambos (blue cover)..Kindly suggest which topics are necessary to cover from this book...
    Giddens: yet to open...Kindly suggest the topic which must be covered from this...
    Ritzer: is it mandatory???? Should I read all the thinkers or as per syllabus..
    paper 2:
    sindhury madam's notes: I read it but not satisfied much due to vagueness of handwriting...is it mandatory to rely on notes..?
    Ahuja: I have read only the chapters on stratification, family, religion..should I complete this book??
    M.N. Srinivas: completed
    Y. Singh: completed
    Veena Das: do I need to open this book???
    Any other books/materials/notes that you suggest??????
    My city neither houses any good coaching nor my working hour permits to join others.
    ..please help ...

Stay away from the coaching notes.. Sure short recipe for disaster.. Make your own notes.. refer to books and internet.. coaching should be referred to as a last resort, on topics which are difficult to find elsewhere..
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
  • @navingreen blue one harlambos is good read the topics mentioned in syllabus eg-religon politics startification methodology etc...
    always keep the syllabus nd refer it all the time
    ritzer-first iwuld suggest cmplte thinkers frm blue book and ignou than if u have tym den go to ritzer
    No need to rely on other notes make ur own notes that wuld be gud enuf
    veena das is a good book but again patience hoga end me than padhana
    no need for coaching self study is good enuf
    finally if possible den join some test series but don't expect too much from test series real test won't be anywhere near to any coaching test series
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • @mnrnjn , @abhinitb : can u plz refer my comment in post #2 and solve my query too? thanks..!!
  • Guys,
    What's difference between blue and orange book? ?
    I am reading orrange book....

Am I doing wrong thing? ??

Plz guide. ..
  • Harlambos and Holborn the blue book is needed for Paper 1.

I will also suggest joining some test series - studying in isolation is not good. Good luck!!!
    +1
    Also given th dynamic nature of qs asked, esp in P1 this year, relying only on past year qs doesn't seem enough imo.
  • @techack first start with ncert get a hang of the subject than move to harlambos blue book suplement it with ignou books esp for topics not given in blue book after this try to solve sm questions see where u stand
    as for ritzer go for it once all is cmpltd
    it's not the book that matters but what u study that matters focus on building ur concepts and fundamentals no need go for fancy books nly focus on basic and fundmental books that will be more den enuf :)>-
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • @all... please guide how to approach for paper 2....there is dearth of good books for p 2 which can cover entire syllabus....Is going through all the ignou material required????
  • Have anyone heard abut aditya mongra as.teacher for sociology ?

Thinking to join sociology class room in delhi to basically learn what is sociological perspective ,how to make a general answer sociological

I don't wanna join big batch classes
    My current options

Vikas ranjan chronicles ias
    Biphash sharma
    N this mr aditya mongra

Guys do give suggestions n advice
  • edited December 2014
    Cn any bdy tell me basis of industrial class structure in India??
  • Hi,

I am not a sociology student, but have been roomies with a sociology candidate who did finally make it. For socio , I do have some unsolicited advice.

In ORN there is this institute called NICE IAS. As unpromising as the name may sound (and the classroom, and the first look and talk with the teacher - who is a very very simple man, with very little intrigue of a glib coaching teacher.), he is silently known as the best Test series guy among Socio students.

Do gather some information about him, and do consider him.

Some positives about him:

He has has very high success ration among his students
    His Test Series , expensive, but hits the bull's eye.
    BikerGuy, my ex-roomie, was one of the guy's who knew more sociology than any other person I know - and this any other includes "several top 200 rankers" whom I had the chance to interact with over ForumIAS and offline. Bikerguy got IRS last time, and he was full of praise for this guy. He vouched that Praveen Kishor's teaching and test discussions + answer writing skills were exactly what UPSC wanted. If I had socio, I would join him.

Secondly, because of this word of mouth publicity, several people in my building also joined him, and I did not hear anything negative about him yet. Another guy, a usual critique of all teachers that he has ever been taught, and usually has a negative take on everything in the universe, was also praise for him, and said he had benefitted from him, when I met him after my Mains examination. So i thought to mention it here.

His test series is almost like a crash course, and you will need the patience to sit through hours of discussion class. So if you have not done any classes for socio anywhere, you should be able to benefit from the test series. The teacher is not very motivating himself, but he delivers in terms of UPSC score, more than Upendra or Vajiram Sir, as far as test series is concerned. My roomie also got the advantage because he had the ability to sit through 2-4 hours of discussions and he said that he benefited from this test series despite having done Vajiram's socio and studied Upendra's notes + His father also cleared the exam with socio, and had his own dump of old notes and books

A word of caution though - The teacher might be a gem, but he wont look like so. He is also very laid back, and doesn't stress out too much. His post prelims test batch will be full (and he wont do overtime correcting answers because he is, for a lack of better word, a bit lazy), but his current test series batch is more likely to me empty. So any of you who are wondering about his test series may consider this guy, after consulting other people. Note that you will not benefit by just writing the test, but by discussing your answers with him, and asking him what to change + attending the test discussion class which will be more like full syllabus revision (which is the important part.)

I did not see any mention of this guy, and hence thought to suggest his name here. I have met him , but the guy is low on marketing skills, and you won't be , as I said, impressed , or be too sure to join him. Anyone here who joined his test series may consider chipping in his/her opinion?
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • @neyawn u take on class room coaching in sociology,I am not looking for big batches so can't join upendra /mahapatra mainly looking for guidance how to write in sociology n maybe material in few topics in paper 2.

Anyway thanks man I will definitely give this guy a shot sply in test series as I haven't join any in sociology yet .

Thanks dude
  • @neyawn u take on class room coaching in sociology,I am not looking for big batches so can't join upendra /mahapatra mainly looking for guidance how to write in sociology n maybe material in few topics in paper 2.

Anyway thanks man I will definitely give this guy a shot sply in test series as I haven't join any in sociology yet .

Thanks dude
    I only know of Upendra & Mahapatra in classroom program. And yes their classes will be kinda full.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • edited December 2014
    Hi all, I have attended Mohapatra Sir's classes in 2012.
    There are some basic facts which need to be known about all and any coaching in Delhi:
    1) None of them will complete syllabus

2) None of them will give you a good list of books to read

3) There are all type of students in the class, so the teacher is not always teaching very hi-fi stuffs, because some may not understand

4) The complete graduation syllabus will need to be covered in 4 months which is impossible to do

5) Not many of them will give you updated facts and figures (more in case of sociology) because it requires a lot of time and these teachers do not have that due to classes going round the year

All in all, coaching may not be the elixir to get good marks

Now, coming to books:
    1) The benefit of reading books will accrue only if it is revised and this is most important thing. We can read a lot of books but it becomes very difficult to recollect them in exams.

2) This becomes more pervasive in case of sociology because one has to remember the names of thinkers and there are a lot of perspectives

3) In case of Indian sociology, the language become very difficult to comprehend especially for engineering background students. Many book like Ghanshyam Shah are of the format of literature review and it becomes difficult to make short notes or recollect during the exams.

4) For Paper 1, many books contain data, facts and research of western societies which may not be completely relevant for UPSC

5) All books will contain only the same set of perspectives. So, only one book should be preferred for one topic.

All in all, books are useful only when they are limited and one is able to recollect during the exams

So my advice:
    1) You may join some coaching, but it may not be sufficient. In Mohapatra sir's classes, revise only the dictation stuff.

2) With coaching, read the stuff from a limited set of books, list of which you may get from the friends

3) While reading for Paper 1, you can ignore those data and facts which are of Western countries. For instance, voting pattern in Britain may not be relevant to UPSC

4) For paper 2, read books which summarise rather than literature review kind of books. Else, read coaching printed material of UIAS or Vajiram or some other coaching

5) Always keep in mind that this stuff is being read for being recollected during exams.

6) During the second reading, make short notes.

7) Revision of all the stuff that you have read is essential.

If someone asks, I will give my set of books which I found useful
  • @GreyMatterRules Go ahead buddy, list the books you read; it will be great if you can reflect the syllabus topics you covered from each source.
    There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.
  • @GreyMatterRules pls mention the chapter wise resources....it would be of great help....
  • @GreyMatterRules

agree with 90% of your views..coachings are not every persons cup of tea.
    please list the book sources you used.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • @Neyawn

Do you know if they offer test series online like vision?

I am not based in Delhi, so having an interface like vision where I could attempt tests at my own pace and watch discussion videos would help immensely.

Anyone who has joined online version of Praveen Kishore's test series, please help [-O<
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • @Neyawn
    Thanks bro for your precious inputs
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • @crux @navingreen @mrlobo
    As I said earlier, sociology has certain fixed perspectives, so any good book would suffice. For example while studying poverty, they all will discuss absolute poverty, relative poverty, social exclusion, cultural versus structural bases of poverty, welfare state etc.
    Though I have studied a lot of books, I am listing only those which I found to be worth revising and easy to make short notes. (MP= Mohapatra sir)
    Paper I
    1) Emergence of socio: Ignou BA (only source which makes sense)
    2)Positivism and methods: Blue Haralambos
    3) Thinkers: First Ignou and then Blue Haralambos (Ritzer confuses me. Not apt for UPSC, though a very insightful analysis)
    4) Relation with other disciplines: MP's dictation (read once and make short notes)
    5) family: IGNOU, Blue Haralambos and Giddens
    6) Power: Blue Haralambos
    7) Stratification: Blue Haralambos (only upto half if that chapter and selected topics afterwards)
    8) Religion: Blue Haralambos
    9) Economic system: Orange Haralambos and Giddens
    10) Social Movements: Giddens
    11) Poverty and exclusion: Giddens
    12) Social Change: IGNOU BA
    For those topics which I dint find in these sources, I thought and made up the material for them. For example: education and social change: include Durkheim, Parsons, Macaulay, fascist's use of education, P bourdiex, and some part of blue Haralambos like Bowles and Gintis and Paul Willis. I found this way of making up material as a very reflexive exercise which helped me in the exam this year

Books for paper 2 are not quite up to the mark of what UPSC demands. So, I used MP's dictation for these. Other useful sources according to me.
    IGNOU BA: Ghurye, Caste, Tribe, Village, Industrial, Agrarian class structure, Middle classes, Family and Kinship, popolation dynamics

Social Background of Indian Nationalism by Desai: Very good book for Marxist perspective. And written in very simple language that i can be completed in 3-4 days

Modernisation of Indian tradition by Singh: Only first chapter.

MP's Notes: Other thinkers, caste, land reforms, land tenure, social movements in India, Classes in India, Family, Power (other topics in this block), Green revolution, CDP, Cooperative movements and other topics which I could not find anywhere

Neera Chandoke: Education, Secularism, Middle class, Social Movements

Veena Das: Informal Sector (book is good but it is written in a literature review way)

SC Dube: Indian society

Rest I have read but did not find their utility in terms of time invested: Ghanshyam Shah, AM Shah, MN Srinivas, KL Sharma

Again for all those topics which I did not find, I made up the material for them by thinking on the works of related theorists. It does help. Try it. :)

For any specific topic, you can ask me here or message me. Will be happy to help :)

Hope what I have written here helps.
  • @GreyMatterRules
    thanks for the update..

i have three queries-

1.please state the source of sociological research methods topic.
    2.are mohapatra's written notes worthy?are the ones available in market have legible handwriting,beacuse i find so called class notes having mostly poor handwriting
    3.can we quote thinkers/eminent personalities liberally in both the papers,even some uncommon ones?
  • @GreyMatterRules : For a beginner who has just finished NCERT XI class.
    Can you plz tell the relevant pg nos/chapters to study from Blue harlambos 8th ed?
  • hi, my pleasure

1) Though I have mentioned above in positivism and methods. Anyways, it is very tough topic because everything is so confusing and very little material is available. Coachings also do not have good material on this topic. But Blue Haralambos covers it holistically. The chapter is at the end (i think second last). Do check it. (It really cleared my concepts. Read only relevant parts. This time there was a question on use of biography for social research. It is covered over there. Sadly, I skipped that part :( )

2) Dont take class notes. In the class, sir gives photocopy of his dictations which he had given to earlier batches. Those are legible. Ask for printed notes in ORN. I think then they will give you the material I am referring. It is a 5 notebooks set. Notebook 1 contains only thinkers and emergence of socio while 2 contains only stratification (which is not legible and worthy of reading). Notebook 3 is a set of articles which again are not worthy. Notebook4 and Notebook 5 are Indian sociology and good for UPSC. Please refer those. Ask me, if you need any further clarifications. :) Further, MP's notes should be referred only once and made short notes. His way of teaching and giving dictation is very random and needs a lot of classification and categorization while making short notes. Once you have made short notes, they become very easy to revise

3) See, it is a tough question. The pattern has changed and now questions are very short. So, there is very little space for quoting. I did not quote many theorists in 1st attempt and got 240 while I quoted a lot of them in 2nd and got only 160. But do not draw conclusions on the basis of this. While nobody knows how they evaluate, I think quotes should come in the flow and they should be relevant to the question. For example while writing the role of ideas as factors for social change, quote Weber's work in rise of capitalism. But dont unnecessrily quote where they are not required, for instance in Domestic Violence Act. Your focus should be on giving reasons and arguments and not theorists.
  • @GreyMatterRules : For a beginner who has just finished NCERT XI class.
    Can you plz tell the relevant pg nos/chapters to study from Blue harlambos 8th ed?
    See, NCERT is just not sufficient. I found it very tough to read because they have covered topics only partially (in my view). I would advise you to read the booklets of IGNOU BA on the topics which I mentioned earlier. They would give a better orientation to a beginner.

Haralambos is very good book. But start after reading emergence of socio and thinkers from IGNOU first. This will prepare you for the chapter stratification. In that chapter, you should read the starting part till lower class, underclass. Leave the discussions in British society and then read mobility and death of class. For mobility you should read IGNOU too (only few pages)

Hope this helps :)
  • @GreyMatterRules
    thanks for the update..

i have three queries-

1.please state the source of sociological research methods topic.
    2.are mohapatra's written notes worthy?are the ones available in market have legible handwriting,beacuse i find so called class notes having mostly poor handwriting
    3.can we quote thinkers/eminent personalities liberally in both the papers,even some uncommon ones?
    hi, my pleasure

1) Though I have mentioned above in positivism and methods. Anyways, it is very tough topic because everything is so confusing and very little material is available. Coachings also do not have good material on this topic. But Blue Haralambos covers it holistically. The chapter is at the end (i think second last). Do check it. (It really cleared my concepts. Read only relevant parts. This time there was a question on use of biography for social research. It is covered over there. Sadly, I skipped that part :( )

2) Dont take class notes. In the class, sir gives photocopy of his dictations which he had given to earlier batches. Those are legible. Ask for printed notes in ORN. I think then they will give you the material I am referring. It is a 5 notebooks set. Notebook 1 contains only thinkers and emergence of socio while 2 contains only stratification (which is not legible and worthy of reading). Notebook 3 is a set of articles which again are not worthy. Notebook4 and Notebook 5 are Indian sociology and good for UPSC. Please refer those. Ask me, if you need any further clarifications. :) Further, MP's notes should be referred only once and made short notes. His way of teaching and giving dictation is very random and needs a lot of classification and categorization while making short notes. Once you have made short notes, they become very easy to revise

3) See, it is a tough question. The pattern has changed and now questions are very short. So, there is very little space for quoting. I did not quote many theorists in 1st attempt and got 240 while I quoted a lot of them in 2nd and got only 160. But do not draw conclusions on the basis of this. While nobody knows how they evaluate, I think quotes should come in the flow and they should be relevant to the question. For example while writing the role of ideas as factors for social change, quote Weber's work in rise of capitalism. But dont unnecessrily quote where they are not required, for instance in Domestic Violence Act. Your focus should be on giving reasons and arguments and not theorists.
  • @GreyMatterRules

thanks again..
    i have the blue photocopied version of harlambos containing selected chapters(the chapters as suggested by upendra ,bought it from jawahar book stores). will this suffice or shall i have to take up the bigger harlambos (price around 900).

also,please tell me someplaces in orn where the printed notes of m.patra are available.are they available in kumar book stores/jawahar bok depot etc.

i also have the orange harlambos.

thanks again for guiding us. :\">
  • @GreyMatterRules I have the printed notes of upendra, would that be of any use or do I need to purchase that of Mahapatra..???
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog