10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Your essay marks in UPSC Mains 2011

edited January 2013 in Essay
Please post your UPSC Mains 2011 essay marks. That will help us know if we had made progress from the last time. I was a lousy 81/200 :-(
*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Comments

• 101/200...
  • ohh...!!!! :-O
    i didnt knw u cleared the prelims last year too
    @Neyawn @ASingh
    anyways
    tell me where u find ur essay of 2012 mains as compared to last year's.
  • I went from 91 in 2010 to 81 in 2011 :(

Hopefully this year I'll cross 100.
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
  • 90 in 2010 and 90 in 2011 :P

and this time I have made blunders in my essay ... so not hoping much...
    Pub Ad and Geography
  • @ritesh @nandana All we can do is speculate (sigh). I remember, last year one of my freinds wrote on the "Small state" topic, which primarily meant a debate whether smaller states are easy to govern or bigger states.

He digressed from the topic, and wrote an essay on the role of State, and weather it should be big or should it be rolled back. Half through the topic, he switched lines, ad got to the case of smaller states , the case for Telangana vs Big states like UP etc.

Naturally he was scared, but he ended up getting 110+ in the essay. He also got into the IAS that year.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @ritesh Lol how did you manage to get such consistency? :P

You must be feeling stuck at a single score, aint it? Don't worry, even if its a blunder, you'll at least get 90.

Waise what exact blunder do you think you made?
  • 100 in 2011. what might be the average score last year?
  • @ritesh Lol how did you manage to get such consistency? :P

You must be feeling stuck at a single score, aint it? Don't worry, even if its a blunder, you'll at least get 90.

Waise what exact blunder do you think you made?
    Yes ... m afraid of this consistency .. :P

In 2010, I wrote my first essay ever (after school days " My cow" type essay ..) made flow charts and pie diagram in "Indian Society wala essay.." ... basically I did not have any idea how to write an essay.. wrote whatever came to my mind.... got unexpected 90..

Last year I wrote on small state and wrote a good essay ..(according to me ofcourse..) discussed it with some friends after exams and thought that will get 105+... PA helped a lot.. and my blunders in 2010's essay made me to prepare hard for essay ... so read lots of literature .. Gandhi, Vivekandana, Nehru, Lincoln, Martin etc ... still got 90.. :P

This time, I joined Abhilash sir's classes, again I found what I lacked in my essays. In his test classes got 118, 105 and 81 ... as I experimented with my writing styles...

So was kindda confident this time... but then as always .. I again faltered in exam hall... wrote on PPP.. I had numerous facts/examples with me.. know a good deal about Private/Govt working styles ..(worked in both for 2.5-2.5 years)... knowledge of PA helped me... starting was good ...

but when I came out of exam hall and again gave a second hought to my essay.. I think I have written a PA answer then writing an essay... the "Literary touch" as they say in an essay was missing....

I am counting on UPSC unpredictability here ... lets see what happens..
    Pub Ad and Geography

I think UPSC prefers straight in the face essays and not experimental essays (I paid the price for it.). Same ghisa pita introduction etc. Lets see.
  • I liked Abhilash sir's approach..actually there is a different approach to tackle an essay .. mujhe bhi pehle lagta tha ki essay dont need special approach and all ... after attending his classes I could relate articles of newspaper with my essay preparation... this helped in 2 ways..

1. Reading newspaper became interesting as I always looked for writing style of author and tried to analyse in Abhilash sir's way
    2. I didn't have to prepare for my essay separately..

This was helpful for me as I dont have firm grasp on my writing style as some others do in terms of vocab, use of phrases etc. Also most important thing that I got is confidence .. :P
    Pub Ad and Geography
  • I liked Abhilash sir's approach..actually there is a different approach to tackle an essay .. mujhe bhi pehle lagta tha ki essay dont need special approach and all ... after attending his classes I could relate articles of newspaper with my essay preparation... this helped in 2 ways..

1. Reading newspaper became interesting as I always looked for writing style of author and tried to analyse in Abhilash sir's way
    2. I didn't have to prepare for my essay separately..

This was helpful for me as I dont have firm grasp on my writing style as some others do in terms of vocab, use of phrases etc. Also most important thing that I got is confidence .. :P
    hey dude if possible can you kindly guide on abhilash sir's approach and what strategy do you follow. i am not even preparing for essay as such.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog