The Only Test Series you will ever need to crack Prelims 2017
Join ForumIAS Prelims 2017 Test Series – 31 Tests to cover the full syllabus – with 10 Sectional Tests6 Subjectwise Tests and 8 Simulator Tests ™ to cover the full syllabus. This will be supplemented by 2 Full Length Current Affairs Tests and 1 Test on Economic Survey and India Year Book. On your request, we have also included discussion classes/videos for each Test.

Why do you want to become an IAS/IPS/IFS officer?

edited July 2016 in Miscellaneous
why do you want to become an IAS officer?

[Moderator Note: The title of this thread has been edited for clarity]
·

Comments

• Umm, patriotism, chance to travel, to work for people in a way that has a direct impact on them, social status, fulfilling personal ambition...

...and anything else that this thread yields that I find worth stealing :P
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    to live my life for other's need, which can be most given by the government through my hands...and mind..
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    this thread will mostly consist of dishonest confessions :P

we find a lot of scumbags like this http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/enforcement-directorate-ias-couple-madhya-pradesh/1/158422.html

but how many are like this http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/cyber-savvy-resourceful-ias-officer-lays-a-real-road-to-peoples-hearts/article4628843.ece

but now a days people are getting caught in interviews and thrown out of list inspite of very high marks in mains.but due to 4 attempts they are getting selected in next attempt.practice makes a man perfect.learn to lie and be politically correct :D

lets see how the marks in ethics paper taught by unethical coachings turns out to be :D
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    The first time i was asked this question I replied something like there are many things about the country that pain me and I want to make a change and be part of the social engineering process. The guy who asked me(another aspirant) replied that "Kyun bakwaas pel rahe ho yaar, sacch sacch bolo na ki power aur paisa chahiye" . I was obviously offended because he accused me of being a hypocrite(without even knowing me) and secondly here was an aspirant who sole motive of getting into the service was earning money through unfair means,getting things done for his family,etc. I honestly wished(for the country) that he wouldn't clear. The world's become so cynical that if you are idealistic people think you are either lying or that you are stupid. And i've noticed that many aspirants actually shy away from saying what they feel you know just so that people don't think they're lying. I think there's nothing to be ashamed about being idealistic/patriotic. Hope we have more of the second kind of IAS officers that @Eric has posted!
    ·
  • @Dilip Thank you for posting our side of the story. I was too scared to make a comment here for being judged and not believed.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    Though UPSC errs yet the questions doesnt stop why but extends on and on unlike a roadside immature chit-chat .Also the body language and expression becomes blatant to conceal stuff which an ordinary chit-chat cant.There are interviews wherein people are asked on what have they done till now as a part of the society in their 20+years of life ? why not an NGO?Politics? and further questioning brings in the facts :D. politically correct doesnot always help in UPSC.in fact most members respect honesty.

PS: not a personal comment @ anyone but an observation
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    I have actually heard people people discussing how much bribery where they willing to engage in, were they to become an IAS officer (the consensus was that up to 1 crore a year is acceptable!). But the good news for the country is that, in this case, all of these people are veritable fools who stand no chance of qualifying.

I guess about 80% of the interviewees would give essentially the same answer when asked 'Why do you want to join the IAS?', no matter if its true or false. Fortunately, the interviewers are highly accomplished people who have been in the people-judging game for decades and are quite adept at reading between our words, therefore, we should always try to be honest, even if we think it may sound naive and idealistic.
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    either i have transended this question or just buried under its weight.....idealism is easier said than accomplished...Philosophy people must have experienced Hegelism :P....evrything go upside down when reality strikes..when we question our ideals...what for certain ideals? Why selflessness?.....my intentions have been good and hope will remain to be so...moreover if evryone was so good then how come so much spinelessness in services..may be cynicism is justified
    i do have not very much hopes from intvw , at best they will deduct 30-40 marks on this count if they are able to detect the black sheep in 20-25 mins, sans they themselves become unethical....but some hope from ethics paper is there atleast it may select those guys who atleast know what is ethical and unethical in public interest
    moreover all this public service thing is more a rhetoric lip-service even for well-intentioned guys in real life all this very easily tend to be thrown to winds.itne bhagat singh hote to desh ka naksha badal gaya hota....will just give one example from real life......the other day i was travelling in a public bus one married woman (i am a guy) along with her husband was travelling...eyes met...jus had a notion/indication that she too was attracted somewhat......i knew that it was unethical from many counts but i couldn't stop fantasizing her...it was very unethical as it would have been very disturbing for his husband if he could read my mind...religiously it was a sin....some may term it acceptable...and as nothing wrong...but whatever it was i remained confused and disturbed for sometime (do you have a solid sol'n for this dilemma?)....when it comes to implementation/real life our grey cells get short-circuited in grey areas of ethics...i fear if i could hold my stand when my batchmate would be getting all-round success just with a killer mix of hypocracy,sycophancy and merit and i woul be kicked around to meaninngless posts

i am sure the bright minds here know this all but when they talk in black and white it looks odd
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    @AK_CS

Some very valid points. I’d like to clarify some things here(the way i see it)

Firstly morality is extremely complex and subjective and i agree there no clear cut answers to several dilemmas. I am not claiming any high moral ground here but i'd like to draw certain distinctions. Like you said there are some areas which are grey areas. But some things according to me some are pretty black and white. For example taking a bribe according to me is blatantly unethical. It’s hard for me to understand whether there’s any complex moral dilemma involved there(even if your family is in distress, you won't get a promotion etc). It’s not like the dilemma on whether a foetus is a human being or not (i.e. whether abortion is ethically right or wrong) which is far more complex . Another distinction i’d like to make is between the thought and action. Say for example i would draw a distinction between the temptation to take a bribe and actually taking a bribe. The first may also be morally wrong according to some people's conception of morality but I don't think anyone is expecting you to be a Gandhi or Gautam Buddha here. As long as your actions are according to the law and the constitution i think you are pretty much fine. Now you might come up with moral dilemmas that i would need to think hard about and for which there will be no clear cut answers. But i think the solution to that is healthy and democratic debate on ethics and morality drawn from philosophical reasoning and not an abject surrender just because the answers are not clear. Obviously some areas will continue to remain grey areas. We can't do anything about that. Philosophy also evolves with time and we are likely to question (in fact i would say we should question) our own morals and ethics over time.

It’s true ki itne Bhagat Singh nahin hain . Toh iska corollary yeh toh nahi hai ki kisi ko Bhagat Singh ki tarah banne ki aspiration hi nahi rakhni chahiye. That’s a bit defeatist according to me. I totally agree that it’s easier to talk than act and we will all be faced with extremely complex issues which we can possibly not imagine at this stage. But for E.g The guy Ashok Khemka. He’s been repeatedly transferred but he’s certainly not compromised. I agree that not everyone will be able to stand up like him but my question is that shouldn’t we at least aspire to be like him?
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    The original point i was trying to make was a bit different. I didn't say that every civil service aspirant has to be idealistic, otherwise he is morally wrong or anything of that sort. I am nobody to judge that. I just meant that i've seen many people who are idealistic who do not express themselves for the fear of being judged because of the prevalent cynicism(which as you say maybe justified) and that according to me is something one need not be ashamed of. But i guess getting dragged into the moral/ethical debate was unavoidable :P
    ·
  • D
    either i have transended this question or just buried under its weight.....idealism is easier said than accomplished...Philosophy people must have experienced Hegelism :P....
    Dude...I really respect your frankness. May you be successful in your endeavor and use your pragmatism for the welfare of the country and its people..

I too feel that life is all about the decisions that you make. Some decisions that you make may not be right per se, but at that point in time, as the circumstances might stand, you will have done the right thing. Nothing should be judged so objectively. Life is all about shades of grey.
    Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
    ·
  • @Dilip: I just have a notion that you are much younger than me and if you are not you may very soon start to see that taking bribe(bribe itself is of infinite type from subtle to explicit) is as or more greyish than foetus debate.
    There is no harm in being Bhagat Singh, but i atleast have passed that age and stage to be Bhagat Singh. Moreover, more subtle and obnoxious ways than hanging have been decided to get rid of todays' Bhagat Singhs. Bhagat Singh was hanged at around 24.... for his activities at may be 22....this period is the prime age of unbridled idealism for evry human being, even today, i believe. He is no more an adoloscent and not a full adult even but he do recognise the society and its problems. It is at this juncture where idealism provides the easiest escape in fighting the evils around. It would have been easier if Idealistic people get hanged for their cause and serve the cause in some way but its not like that. To be a true idealist, The cause has to be nutrured (developing faith in that in ones mind throug constant questioning), identified properly (there is difference btw believing, acting and getting results in service of a cause) and fought for evry single moment. I, too, idolized, Bhagat Singh and Guevara sahab at some point of time but Bhagat Singh even accepted himself and wrote somewhere that he acted in haste. In toto, what i mean is we should be idealistic but of a higher level where we can see ideas get converted into action by ethical means. And, such an idealism is bound to involve forays into grey territories every single moment. Idealism of a lower scale (some ideas and values pre-programmed and acting in that direction regardless of effect of that idealism on one's own, one's family and to the cause itself) is a dangerous ishq
    -it is root behind religious and all other kinds of fundamentalism
    -an idealist of a lower scale is prone to being used by men of higher calibre but lower integrity
    -
    -
    -
    idealists dont keep quiet because they fear cynics'/fools derision..it doesn't have that much power....their expression is by words of actions.....fools better understand the language of actions (lat ke bhut wali bat :P)..

Above all, whatever i said above is bullshit time pass..it is just not directed to any belief (including yours). i am a little disoriented from studies these days. world allows enough flexibility to you and me at the same time so dont take it as any kind of rexn
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
    ·
  • D
    either i have transended this question or just buried under its weight.....idealism is easier said than accomplished...Philosophy people must have experienced Hegelism :P....
    Dude...I really respect your frankness. May you be successful in your endeavor and use your pragmatism for the welfare of the country and its people..

I too feel that life is all about the decisions that you make. Some decisions that you make may not be right per se, but at that point in time, as the circumstances might stand, you will have done the right thing. Nothing should be judged so objectively. Life is all about shades of grey.
    Thanks dude! i appreciate your compliments. Even i dream of being a practical and pragmatic person one day. :P

PS: your avatar picture is very cool. one like for it
    ·
  • edited April 2013
    @AK_CS : Dude you've equated what i call idealism with radical and revolutionary thought which is not what i wanted to convey. I am somehow not convinced about counterposing idealism and pragmatism. I think both can go hand in hand. All decisions you take as a civil servant will involve trade offs (not debating that) and you have to make decisions and choices which are going to be pragmatic. My point is that one's decisions must not be driven by selfish motives and should be driven by the goal of common good. Now if you ask me what is common good then I would say the good based on our constitutional ideals.

Like i said i do agree there are grey areas. But i have a problem with treating everything as a grey area. Kind of gives one the room of doing anything and justifying it on the basis on compulsions. But i guess you wouldn't agree with me on that which is totally cool.

P.S : I won't be commenting after this. You can have the last word but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

O n btw i'm 24 :P
    ·
  • i didn't equate any of that....ethics have this problem that words become impotent..i agree to disagree atleast in words.....anyway if you are as you have written...then brace up for the voyage ahead my friend...
    i too am on the same boat and i too am 24 :P...Period

·
  • an extremely thought provoking debate.. and the issue is one of perpetual relevance.. but guys @AK_CS and @Dilip - dont just quit arguing by letting your egos get in between.. i mean, thats what i can perceive here.. in such arguments, there are bound to be disagreements..
    [ CSE-2013 ]
    ·
  • @AK_CS & @Dilip

Your ripostes are so thoughtful, that I have in fact jotted down few points - In case we are asked to write an essay on Pragmatism v/s Idealism or Can Ethics be a learned behaviour? will definitely help :O

Thank you for your inputs guys! Really appreciate it. :)
    ·
  • an extremely thought provoking debate.. and the issue is one of perpetual relevance.. but guys @AK_CS and @Dilip - dont just quit arguing by letting your egos get in between.. i mean, thats what i can perceive here.. in such arguments, there are bound to be disagreements..
    thanks! i am always ready for debate on such issues :P....will jump again as and when issues come and time allows
    ·
  • @AK_CS & @Dilip

Your ripostes are so thoughtful, that I have in fact jotted down few points - In case we are asked to write an essay on Pragmatism v/s Idealism or Can Ethics be a learned behaviour? will definitely help :O

Thank you for your inputs guys! Really appreciate it. :)
    Thanks @Partho! Frankly.....After failure at CS mains and scoring relatively low at graduation even though knowing well enough and being a fervent participator in class debates(gradua + coaching).....I am too scared of appreciations these days :P....
    I dont mean/intend that those who pass are lesser than me...or my competitors are not worthy...but i have an inkling that many(not saying most ) of the guys selected do so because of their capability to crack the process through good enough superficiality and really deserving ones are just left behind in the exam system......
    Will start this Topic/Discussion 'How to align/change your mindset/convince yourself from being learner to exam-cracker' and ask people for help here..probably after prelims as people will have time
    ·

• Will start this Topic/Discussion 'How to align/change your mindset/convince yourself from being learner to exam-cracker' and ask people for help here..probably after prelims as people will have time
    Looking forward for that discussion! :)
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google