Choosing Mathematics as an optional

I am in a great confusion in deciding my optional subject for civil service exam. I am an above average student in maths with a great love towards it. I have gone through the syllabus and found that the syllabus is almost similar to the engineering maths syllabus ( I am a BTech Electronics graduate). I asked many institutions in delhi about this. Some institution told me that the subject is one of the toughest in civil service exam and most importantly the Normalisation (multiplying factor used to multiple with the actual mark u got in optional) is very less. So they suggest that it is a risky optional. Please let me know all the possible pros and cons regarding maths and it would be nice if i get the best coaching available also.

Comments

• If you want to clear in 4 th or 5th attempt then take maths....it will take atleast 2 years to reach a score of 200....

Whereas in subjects like socio / pub ad you can do it in 4 months...
  • Bhai , thats all BS. If you are comfortable with topics just go for it. Dont get swayed away by people's opinion. If u feel u love da subject then u will nail it fr sure.

Yes mathematics is lengthy and takes nothing less than 6 months if you are deep serious in your preparation.but those who recommend you to go with the humanities subhect will even tell you that even these optionals are safe yet they don't give great returns. Guys have scored 270+ in mathematics this year and this is far more than average score of socio, geography or pub ad. And common yaar everyone loves great scores n if u are preparing fr 2015 , i guess this is the right time to chose your optional and move ahead.you just need more time for mathematics, thats it.morever it helps in ifos too, if u are interested in it.

Its simple, its tough yet it gives better returns. And please bhai dont let others strategize for you in this exam, its all upto hw you are going yo face this exam.if you think you can, just go for it.

• Yar kisi bhi attempt me exam clear karo ,matlab to keval top 20 me aane se hi hota hai na yar .............Kuch bhi optional le lo bhai , Weightage to general studies ka hi sabse zyada hota hai .
  • I believe science subjects do take time but give you good dividends in the end..8-10 months for all topics in maths...but once you are done you can do wonders..but if you want shortcut then this is not for u..all the best..
  • allthose who beleive that maths is a waste ...bachho jake dekh le maths ke marks in previous years ..many arnd 250+/500.
    aur public admin walo ko to 90 bhi nhi naseeb hue
    maths is a gud optional ..coaching wale to BC hai ....wahi bolenge jinko coaching unke paas hai ......
    ek to koi coaching wala IAS nhi par sale bante bada hai hero ......
  • I studied maths as one of my subject during B.Sc. I love and scored above 98 % in maths papers. It is one of the good subject , if you have time, consistency, passion for it. IMS in delhi will take around 7-8 months to complete the core syllabus. than it depends on practise.. I have seen guys scoring 250+ easily in last few exams. But one important thing is to take care of your GS. people are under 300 ranks due to maths only.

think, take your time and start. once you start, don't look back and don't stop till u achieve your goal . i.e. below 200 , in 500, be in list or just to test my capability...

final decision ll b yours..

Good Luck.

I am taking it as my optionals for 2016
  • I am also looking for Maths optional for 2015. But due to non-relevance with some topics like real analysis, abstract algebra etc (did B.Tech in IT ,had maths in 3 semesters) i am in dilemma. Even i had bought krishna series calculus and differential equation books. Request to senior players , please help me in this situation.

Thanks
  • Thanks for all your comments.... Let me know one more thing... Which is best coaching institute for mathematics optional in delhi?
  • hello all,
    having confusion in buying books.In website of http://krishnaprakashan.com/ for some books there is an abbreviation at the end as (GEN),(U.P.Unified),(Unified).which books are we supposed to buy.

for eg :

**Krishna Series on Matrices :
    http://www.krishnaprakashan.com/indetails.asp?id=26

http://www.krishnaprakashan.com/indetails.asp?id=340

Please help
  • Krishna Publications 3D Solid Geometry sufficient
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog