Question bank : Multiple Choice based Questions for Prelims

Comments

• Which of the following is a fundamental right in India?
    1. Right to propagate a religion.
    2. Right to freedom of press.
    3. Right to clean environment.
    4. Right to marriage.

A. 1,2,3 & 4
    B. 1,2 & 3
    C. 1 & 2
    D Only 1
    B. 4 will be difficult to implement comsidering lowering CSR :P

and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • edited April 2013
    Which of the following is true regarding FR u/a 21
    1. is an absolute right
    2. can't be suspended even during emergencies
    3. can be restricted like Art 19
    4. is applicable to both citizen & foreigner

A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.2.3
    D.2,4
    @sunnywadia
    Answer is D (2,4)

1. liberty can b prevented (jail etc) for national security, public safety etc etc
    3. can't be restricted.. u can't kill anyone for no reason during emergency
    b. 2,3,4 can be restricted in case of preventive detention(public order)
    @AK_CS Actually art 21 says- "No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to procedure established by law."
    During preventive detention, the deprivation of liberty is done according to law, so it will not be counted as restriction of art21.
  • Which of the following is true regarding FR u/a 21
    1. is an absolute right

A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.2.3
    D.2,4
    @sunnywadia
    Answer is D (2,4)

1. liberty can b prevented (jail etc) for national security, public safety etc etc
    @AK_CS Actually art 21 says- "No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to procedure established by law."
    During preventive detention, the deprivation of liberty is done according to law, so it will not be counted as restriction of art21.
    @Oceanu,AK_CS
    Ans is B
    Art 21 can be restricted but not suspended (Art 359).Like all phone tapping (= interfering someone's personal liberty/life/right to privacy) by authorised agency is permitted if it in the greater interest of the nation.
  • @sunnywadia but that restriction will be according to law.
  • Q 73) WHich of the following GHG are produced due to farming ?

1. Methane.
    2. Carbon - di - oxide.
    3. Nitrous Oxide.

A. 1 only.
    B. 2 & 3 only.
    C. 1 & 2 only.
    D. 1, 2 & 3.
    Ans would be D
    @oceania
    Obviously every restriction has to be according to some law ,it can't not be arbitrary.
    FRs are not absolute (except 17), they are subjected to limitation.But these limitation can't imposed arbitrarily/indiscriminately.There has to be some law/provision for such limitation.

To simplify , on the basis of limitation/restriction, FRs can be grouped as
    1. Rights with express limitations (Eg Art. 19) - means that limitation is explicitly mentioned in the constitution.
    2.Rights without express limitations- Eg Art. 21
    3.Rights with no limitation/restriction (Eg 17)

I hope it clears your doubt.
  • Which of the following is not a Constitutional body
    1.National commission for Backward class
    2.National commission for Schedule caste
    3.National commission for minority
    4.Schedule Area & Schedule tribe Commission

Codes
    A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.3,4
    D.1,3,4
  • B ?

Was in some recent news.
  • Which of the following is not a viral disease
    1.Polio
    2.Typhoid
    3.Filariais
    4.Kala-Azar
    5.Leprosy
    5.Chikungunya
    6.TB
    7.Meningitis

No choices
  • edited April 2013
    Which of the following is not a Constitutional body

Codes
    A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.3,4
    D.1,3,4
    @sunnywadia
    My answer is D (1,3,4)
  • Which of the following is true regarding FR u/a 21
    1. is an absolute right

A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.2.3
    D.2,4
    @sunnywadia
    Answer is D (2,4)

@AK_CS @sunnywadia
    Answer for this should be 2,4.
    to me statement 3: implies to article 358/359. same is not applicable for 21.
  • edited April 2013
    Which of the following is not a Constitutional body

Codes
    A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.3,4
    D.1,3,4
    @sunnywadia
    My answer is D (1,3,4)
    I second @sunnywadia. It is D.
    @oceania
    Obviously every restriction has to be according to some law ,it can't not be arbitrary.
    FRs are not absolute (except 17), they are subjected to limitation.But these limitation can't imposed arbitrarily/indiscriminately.There has to be some law/provision for such limitation.

1. Rights with express limitations (Eg Art. 19) - means that limitation is explicitly mentioned in the constitution.

@sunnywadia first of all thanx for giving me a new nickname (oceania :P sounds girly :D)

On a more serious note, i am unable to digest the second type of right given by you. If it is not expressed then from where does this limitation came? Is there any SC judgement on this matter?
  • @abhish001,oceanus correct its D
  • @abhish001
    i think you are confusing between suspending a FR & restricting a FR OR may be i am confused.
    If anyone having more clarity on this,kindly enlighten us.
  • @oceanus
    Sorry bro ,it was a typo
  • Which of the following is true regarding utera cropping?
    1.It is a traditional cropping method used in Barii Doab
    2.It involves sowing of 6-7 crops simultaneouly in the same field
    Codes

A.only 1
    B.only 2
    C.Both
    D. None
  • Which of the following is not a viral disease
    1.Polio-
    2.Typhoid
    3.Filariais
    4.Kala-Azar
    5.Leprosy
    5.Chikungunya
    6.TB
    7.Meningitis

No choices
    @sunnywadia
    polio, chikungunya, meningitis?
    @oceania

@sunnywadia first of all thanx for giving me a new nickname (oceania :P sounds girly :D)

On a more serious note, i am unable to digest the second type of right given by you. If it is not expressed then from where does this limitation came? Is there any SC judgement on this matter?
    limitation comes from judicial review/activism
    Giving you an eg
    Art. 21 mentions only procedure established by law.So in effect article 21 only requires that there must be a valid law.The court will not examine the fairness/reasonabilty of law. SC in a Gopalan case upheld this (i.e no due process to be followed as it is not there in Article 21 explicitly)

But then SC ,in Maneka Gandhi case reverses its earlier verdict and has taken upon itself the power to analyse the law & to see whether the law depriving a person of his liberty is just and reasonable.
    According to SC, Due process of law is not incorporated (expressed) but is inherited in the principle of the constitution.
  • @Oceanus you have to choose non-viral disease.Polio is very much a viral disease.
  • edited April 2013
    @sunnywadia but that restriction will be according to law.
    @oceania

@oceanus, @sunnywadia: agree with both of you...both b&d are right according to me now. answer depends upon our interpretation. (hopefully UPSC wont leave room for ambiguity :) )
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • @Oceanus you have to choose non-viral disease.Polio is very much a viral disease.
    @sunnywadia I always fall for this not trap :(
    i have given the name of viral diseases
  • Which of the following is not a Constitutional body

Codes
    A.1,2,3,4
    B.2,3,4
    C.3,4
    D.1,3,4
    my take A

1. Methane.
    2. Carbon - di - oxide.
    3. Nitrous Oxide.

A. 1 only.
    B. 2 & 3 only.
    C. 1 & 2 only.
    D. 1, 2 & 3.
    Ans would be D
    I too, D

1. Methane.
    2. Carbon - di - oxide.
    3. Nitrous Oxide.

A. 1 only.
    B. 2 & 3 only.
    C. 1 & 2 only.
    D. 1, 2 & 3.
    Ans would be D
    I too, D
    Right!
  • Ans. except chikungunya & polio all are non-viral
    Meningitis can be both viral or bacterial
  • @AK_CS National commission for SC is a constitutional body, rest all are statutory
  • @sunnywadia: I confused Schedule Area & Schedule tribe Commission (i dunno about this even now) with National_Commission_for_Scheduled_Tribes which is a const. body http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Commission_for_Scheduled_Tribes
  • @AK_CS Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes Commission - to examine various issues of development and welfare of tribals.This is not a permanent commission like NCST,but constituted adhocly as & when required.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-07-06/news/32566318_1_tribal-land-tribal-areas-tribal-affairs
  • X rays can be used in which of the following applications?
    1. Airport security
    2. Material structural analysis
    3. Aerial navigation
    4. Oscilloscopes

A. 1,2,3 & 4
    B. 1,2 & 3
    C. 1 & 2
    D. Only 1
    no attempts for this question? @partho @sunnywadia @megamind @ak_cs
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog