UPSC Civil Services Coaching in Kolkata

Hello folks. I am new to ForumIAS. I am looking for best Coaching facility for CSE in Calcutta. I have visited ICSA, Trademark-IAS, ATI (Government run) and ALS (VSAT Centre). They are charging almost same fees except ATI (nominal fees) and ALS (Very high fees), further ATI is also taking an admission test (sadly i have missed the DATEline). Now i have to choose either ICSA or Trademark-IAS. Feedback welcome.

Comments

• Hello folks. I am new to ForumIAS. I am looking for best Coaching facility for CSE in Calcutta. I have visited ICSA, Trademark-IAS, ATI (Government run) and ALS (VSAT Centre). They are charging almost same fees except ATI (nominal fees) and ALS (Very high fees), further ATI is also taking an admission test (sadly i have missed the DATEline). Now i have to choose either ICSA or Trademark-IAS. Feedback welcome.
    study at home and save money

i can tell you from personal experience that kolkata is miles behind the good institutes located in other cities like delhi,chennai,pune etc.

"i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • @mrlobo Have you joined any of the Institute? Can you tell me about ICSA, Saltlake? ICSA claimed that around 25 of their students have cleared Prelims this year. I had a conversation with an old man over there, he told me (in British accent English), "We have produced the highest number of Civil servants from West Bengal since last few years". He also claimed to have retired IAS and IPS officers as teaching staffs/faculty. They will start new batches in January 2015.

Unfortunately i was unable to meet any of the students.
  • edited November 2014
    ^^ I am one of the 25. :) But I can't vouch for the classroom coaching. Optionals are quite good, imho. GS is a mixed bag of sucks-big-time, adequate and exceptional (JPC). Whatever it might be, at least it's not money-oriented. They refunded the fees (~5k) for mains mock test takers who have cleared prelims this year including myself.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • @ArindamSarkar Congratulations on clearing Prelims. Good to know that they have refunded 5K to successful students. BTW what is JPC?
  • @ArindamSarkar Congratulations on clearing Prelims. Good to know that they have refunded 5K to successful students. BTW what is JPC?
    He is the mentor there. 70-80 year old retired diplomat - J Pal Chowdhury sir.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • @mrlobo Have you joined any of the Institute? Can you tell me about ICSA, Saltlake? ICSA claimed that around 25 of their students have cleared Prelims this year. I had a conversation with an old man over there, he told me (in British accent English), "We have produced the highest number of Civil servants from West Bengal since last few years". He also claimed to have retired IAS and IPS officers as teaching staffs/faculty. They will start new batches in January 2015.

Unfortunately i was unable to meet any of the students.
    well i joined their prelims crash course and was deeply disappointed with them,although i managed to clear prelims somehow, if found their teaching materials and faculty outdated.

i believe some of their students cleared prelims too, not sure of the numbers

as for the ias/ips faculty there are 2-3 retired officers who are quite old and do not gel with the new upsc trends..i am sure you must be knowing that the current prelims and mains of upsc have gone a drastic change wherein dynamic part has become prominent which i found missing there..

i felt that their faculty consisted primarily of academics and research scholars who are good for knowledge but are not well toned for the special approach for upsc alike the professional institutes of delhi.

they are/were discussing topics like diclofenac (env.) which was in news in 2012-13!

most of the (few) people who had cleared upsc from there had already been selected to wbcs(i know mr bappaditya roy who got air- 600+ rank in old upsc version of two optionals) some times back, i do not know about others have benefited from the institute personally

their fees is 35k for mains which is not cheap but much cheaper than other institutes..

they charge 5k for mains test writing series for 5 part time and one full time test,not sure about their feedback and quality of questions as i opted out of it after the bad episode of prelims

i can surely tell that their study material is not upto the mark ,which i received during prelims course and their faculty for history is horrible

i have heard that their optionals subjects is fine,but you are not allowed to take coaching for one subject only,you have to take entire package..5 days a week classes from 10-6 ..

i suggest you to invest your money wisely,since it is the only option you have in the city.
    :D
    diplomat!

i thought (as told him and his staff) that he was the vice chancellor of university and principal of vidyasagar college,also he was with a fossiled institute called bose institute for long time.

@-)
    diplomat!

i thought (as told him and his staff) that he was the vice chancellor of university and principal of vidyasagar college,also he was with a fossiled institute called bose institute for long time.

@-)
    I've interacted with him multiple times. He was posted for a long time in Africa (possibly Ghana). He deals with essays and foreign relations of current importance. He headed Bose institute earlier. Now he runs ICSA. Very cordial man in spite of his achievements.
  • @mrlobo Ok. I guess i have to study at home. I will read the standard books and important study material and notes of Coaching Institutes from Delhi ( its not possible for me to move to Delhi for various reasons). If necessary, will en-roll for a few online Test series programme like Vision and Insight.
  • @ArindamSarkar If i am not wrong the old man with British accent is JPC sir ( As i was told that he is the Director of the Institute). Yes he is a cordial man but his ideas on CSE preparation are OUTDATED. He still lives in Pre 2011 era.
  • @ArindamSarkar I missed a point--> I have heard that ICSA has an excellent track record of Success in Personality Test/Interview.
  • edited November 2014
    ^^ I took classes in 2012 (above). Current status is not something I can comment upon. I'm only enrolled in a test series and it seems pretty 2014 to me. PT is said to be excellent. Hope I get a chance to experience it first hand this time around. Anyways, I'm not their recruitment agent / advocate. Best of luck to you.
    diplomat!

@-)
    I've interacted with him multiple times. He was posted for a long time in Africa (possibly Ghana). He deals with essays and foreign relations of current importance. He headed Bose institute earlier. Now he runs ICSA. Very cordial man in spite of his achievements.

must be some other guy whom i had met with and confused about!

i wish retired diplomats had some kind of identity tags around them..would have been kind of cool in such case
    ;)
  • ^^ He's very nondescript. Looks like your typical gramps till he starts speaking and blows you away.
  • @mrlobo Ok. I guess i have to study at home. I will read the standard books and important study material and notes of Coaching Institutes from Delhi ( its not possible for me to move to Delhi for various reasons). If necessary, will en-roll for a few online Test series programme like Vision and Insight.
    if your are gunning for 2015 you currently have no options to join anywhere at this point.you can always handle prelims via a decent test series..for the mains you can actually check out their results for this year and draw a deduction of their performance..

p.s.- i am also planning along the same lines for 2015, you are welcome to embark upon!

:)>-
  • @mrlobo Well.. Out of 25 who have cleared Preliminary Test, only 2 are from 2014 batch including crash course and you are one of them.. i guess :)
  • Some feedback for mains mock test answers might prove to be quite helpful. But if their standard of questions is not in harmony with the current upsc pattern then it would be a totally worthless experience.

@ArindamSarkar what about this fees refund thing? So free of cost test series for pre qualified candidates?
  • @mrlobo Well.. Out of 25 who have cleared Preliminary Test, only 2 are from 2014 batch including crash course and you are one of them.. i guess :)
    in the crash course batch there were students who had enrolled way back in 2012 & 2103.

so can not decipher the statistics by myself..

btw what is your optional subject?
  • Some feedback for mains mock test answers might prove to be quite helpful. But if their standard of questions is not in harmony with the current upsc pattern then it would be a totally worthless experience.

@ArindamSarkar what about this fees refund thing? So free of cost test series for pre qualified candidates?

is that true?

Free for this year since 25 have qualified. Not as a matter of policy for every year. Call them to ask if it's still free or not.
  • edited November 2014
    Questions are pretty standard. We have only 1 test per mains paper - full syllabus for 3 hours. Discussions after that for 1-2 hrs. This is weekly for 1.5-2 months. GS 1 is over.
  • it seems i missed out a free test series.. :(
  • @mrlobo Mine is Pub Ad. I have also heard that they are providing a Full Mock Test series on CSE Pattern, you can still contact them and join their FREE test series for students who have cleared prelims.
  • ok if it is so i can write the one full length test ..at the moment i am chewing much more than i can bite off :O
  • @mrlobo Mine is Pub Ad. I have also heard that they are providing a Full Mock Test series on CSE Pattern, you can still contact them and join their FREE test series for students who have cleared prelims.
    thanks for the info.

i am not sure of this years performance but next year is going to be my best(last) shot

• @mrlobo Heard that they will take 1st Test on Saturday.
    2nd. GS 1 over last Saturday.
    2nd. GS 1 over last Saturday.
    Ok.

• @Raisinaking we can create a self study circle in kolkata here.what u say?I think it would be a great help for eatchother. .
  • @RaisinaKing must try a demo class @ aptiplus..I have joined the institute 10days back and really they are providing classes by national reputed faculties from Delhi,Bangalore and Pune..i think these name are sufficient if we are searching in google.
    1)Tariq Khan,History
    2)Priyesh Singh Sengar,Sci & Tech
    3)Subhra Ranjan,Polity
    4)Manoj Aagarwal,Pub add.....
    as they are providing free demo..i think you must try..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog