What to read in Denudation Chronology?

edited October 2014 in Geography & Geology
Hello everyone :)>-
I have acquired some info on this topic from the internet (link below :-q). But what do we need to study for this? I can't find any standard(authentic) book to read. Please shed some light on this....
Thank you in advance for any kind of help!!

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=jruOAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA468&dq=denudation+chronology&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iaUvVISXKpSfuQSX7YDADw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=denudation chronology&f=false

Comments

• अनाच्छादन कालानुक्रम हेतु आप सविंदर सिंह की भू आकृतिक भूगोल का प्रयोग कर सकते है.
    use geomorphology of savinder singh, its there
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
  • Okay. Thank you. I already have an older version of savindra singh...i'll buy a newer version. But which one...Physical Geography or Geomorphology? Both are written by the same author.
  • its there in Geomorphology, not in physical one. u dont have to buy new one, its there in old one too.
  • Woooo you will buy whole book for half a page information ?
    Trust me even he has not dwelt into the topic in detail ,hardly 200 words he has written and no concreteness.
  • There are two major strands of thought in geomorphology .
    1) Historical geographers like Penck and W M Davis try to find the ancient landscapes based answers and 2) Process geomorphologists prefer there solutions based on present forces ....
    Denudation chronology is nothing but the basic cyclic theory of historical geomorphologists on which many of them have given various models however the core remains the cyclic nature of landforms. .... ( like davisian model of peneplanation ) . Over time the denudation Chronologists were criticised for looking for flat surfaces everywhere.
    Read the variants of davisian model of fluvial erosional cycle for Arid ,Glacial and Karst landscape . Also if possible follow concept of L C king and Penck and most probably that should be good ... Do go further if you can but I will suggest finishing these topics first ...
    " DO NOT CRIB "

• Denudation chronology is nothing but the basic cyclic theory of historical geomorphologists on which many of them have given various models however the core remains the cyclic nature of landforms. .... ( like davisian model of peneplanation )
    You mean to say that Denudation chronology is same as the concept of Cycle of Erosion? Please elaborate more. I am still confused as it is mentioned as an explicit topic apart from the geomorophic cycles in the syllabus.

Read the variants of davisian model of fluvial erosional cycle for Arid ,Glacial and Karst landscape . Also if possible follow concept of L C king and Penck and most probably that should be good ... Do go further if you can but I will suggest finishing these topics first ...
    I have read the Davisian Cycle of Erosion and studied the concepts of LC king and W Penck too. But i didn't find the mention of denudation chronology anywhere. What am i missing?? I read it from Savindra Singh and W D Thornbury. Also, I know that my question is quite trivial but i want to make sure that I am not missing anything.
  • @TheKing

Your doubt is not at all trivial .... denudation chronology

Branch of land-form studies that deals with the historical development of landscapes by denudation, especially during pre-Quaternary time. ...

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199211944.001.0001/acref-9780199211944-e-2229

This is how it has been defined . Besides various cycles of erosion read few tertiary or cretaceous landscapes ( the ones affected by ice age , denuded mountains like aravali ) . This is what I am reading so this will be the limits of my knowledge. In case I come to know anything further I will let you know . :)
    " DO NOT CRIB "
  • @Spellbound
    Besides the above link you provided, this is what I found regarding Denudation chronology on encyclopedia...
    "Evidence for developmental stages is provided by studies of erosion surfaces and their mantling deposits, drainage patterns, stream long-profiles, and geologic structures."

Thanks for the inputs. I am getting it now. :)>-
  • @TheKing : how is w d thorn bury ... And are you using savindra singh physical geography or geomorphology
    " DO NOT CRIB "
  • @Spellbound
    This book talks about the principles behind geomorphological processes. I liked it because it contains exclusive chapters each for different types of landforms development processes(such as on fluvial cycle and it's variants, aeolian land forms etc.). It's a mid level book, has an analytical approach and explaining things from the UPSC perspective....at least for me :P
  • And i am using Physical Geography of savindra singh. Does geomorphology of this author contain something more useful?
  • And i am using Physical Geography of savindra singh. Does geomorphology of this author contain something more useful?
    certainly yes
  • Sirji Link bhej do Geomorpholgy by Savindra singh ka..kahi nai mil rhi
    Never Out of Fight
  • Geography optionals for 2016 exam come here. Let's begin
    http://forumias.com/discussion/7639/geography-optional-for-2016#Item_1
    The Road To Success Comes Through Hardwork, Determinations and Sacrifice...
  • Sirji Link bhej do Geomorpholgy by Savindra singh ka..kahi nai mil rhi
    I think geomorphology by savindra Singh is not available in online market. I had searched for it before buying it from local market. Look for it in ur local book store. If still not found then contact Prayag Pustak Bhawan. I had bought savindra Singh biogeography from the publisher. You may find contact number in you Physical Geography book.
  • @all. Use latest savinder Singh Geomorphology for denudation chronology. Old one has not enough stuff.
  • Book is available on jawahar book center website
    PT-4, Mains-1, Interview-NA, Rank-NA
    Selection Target 2017
  • Can anyone provide the material for geography optional paper 1 human geography ...laws of international boundaries n frontier ...
    Also provide for oceanography ...various marine laws....
  • Channel morphology elaborate karo yll koi..??
  • @Follows geomorphology by savinder singh le lo
  • @Harvey_Dent thanxx bhai
    Hogya complete..:)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog