NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Haralambos and Holborn (The Blue Book)

While placing an order for Haralambos and Holborn (The Blue Book), I came across the following books and both have huge price difference, can someone please tell which is relevant to UPSC Sociology Optional? Both are 8th edition and have blue cover -

This costs Rs 4530
http://www.amazon.in/Haralambos-Holborn-Sociology-Themes-Perspectives/dp/0007498829/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

This costs Rs 742
http://www.amazon.in/HARALAMBOS-HOLBORN-SOCIOLOGY-THEMES-PERSPECTIVES/dp/0007583192?tag=googinhydr18418-21

^^ These two seem to be same but can't figure out the huge difference in prices of both.

This costs Rs 2983 (7th edition though)
http://www.flipkart.com/sociology-themes-perspectives-english-7th/p/itmdut4hhcwpbrvg?pid=9780007245956&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=sociology-+themes+and+perspectives+by+haralambos+and+holborn&ref=9ae7b8ae-f49e-419d-a20c-01bee2a6d5a5

This costs Rs 1192 (AS and A2 student handbook)
http://www.flipkart.com/sociology-themes-perspectives-student-handbook-english/p/itmczymab7zwrrk2?pid=9780007310722&icmpid=reco_pp_same_book_book_1&ppid=9780195613797

Someone please clarify, which one to buy? Also if Haralombos and Heald (Orange Book) is recommended too?
·

Comments

• Buy Rs 742 one from amazon with confidence. Its the Indian edition. So available dirt-cheap. I had to buy 7th edition for 2200 from Jawahar book depot. Haven't seen 8th but updated must be better.
    Anyways, U have an option of buying Anthony Giddens too. If u find the price good, it covers well too.
    Both are v interesting to read and comprehension is easy to medium.
    Ignore flipkart ones.
    ·
  • @takla_makaaan, thanks I know the 742 one is too cheap plus it is a new edition. I have been trying to decode the difference between the two, but amazon has not given product description for this one, though the Index of the both books, it displays are same. (I just hope it's not the Student Handbook) On a weird note, the 7th edition is much expensive than the 8th edition, which is puzzling to me. Even 700 is a huge amount for me to invest in a book, so don't wanna risk my money. Is the Indian edition same, content-wise?

I do have Anthony Giddens 6th edition, with me. Does this book suffice, since Haralambos is considered to be a must have?
    ·
  • What about Orange Cover Book on Sociology: Themes and perspective by Haralambos and Heald ? I Just received it from Flipkart for Rs 217/-

:-SS
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison
    ·
  • @ashutosh_aditya
    Orange book has lost its relevance...Blue book is a good book to refer...but in my opinion if you have notes of upendra and mahapatra then no need to refer books except yojana, kurukshetra and some times ignou MA for paper 2
    CSE 2015: Mains-1, Interview-1, Rank-0
    CSE 2016: Mains-1, Interview-1, Rank-1*
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • @ soaringskies : Pls share your feedback once you have got the book. Me too starting my sociology preparation and facing the same confusion.
    ·
  • @aman131 : Thanks mate for sharing the information. After reading your comment, I returned this book to flipkart and ofcourse without any charge. :D
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison
    ·
  • @aman131 what's the difference between the blue and orange horlombos?
    ·
  • @Inthefray you can get almost all the topics of paper1 from this blue book except the thinkers part has not been covered good here. Blue book is a detailed one and you wont feel adding anything extra to it which was not the case of with the orange book.
    Guys I am giving my personal opinion plus the opinion of upendra sir. Rest is upto you :)
    ·
  • @aman131 : Thanks mate for sharing the information. After reading your comment, I returned this book to flipkart and ofcourse without any charge. :D
    accha kya :P.. waise you can get Xerox of blue book in some 450 Rs...Check it out with any of your delhi friends...they may provide you the same

·
  • @Inthefray
    The orange one is the reprint edition of the book originally published in 1980. The authors are Haralambos & Heald.
    The blue one is the updated/latest edition book co-authored by Haralambos & Holborn.
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
    ·
  • @aman131 thanks. I have been using the orange one for the last 2 or 3 years hence was wondering. Will check out the blue also :)

@khajoor thanks. Also, do you agree with aman131?
    ·
  • @inthefray - yes these guys are right. almost everything apart from thinkers is there in the blue book. its a 950 page tome. plus the glazed paper makes it a very heavy book to lift. haha
    work n economic life vala chapter shayad orange vaali mei kuch better hai. . baaki sab mei blue book is better.
    Every day above the ground is a good day.
    ·
  • @My_Time_Is_Now Which book must be referred for thinkers?? I was thinking Blue book will be enough..can you please tell from where one is supposed to do thibkers
    ·
  • @inthefray - yes these guys are right. almost everything apart from thinkers is there in the blue book. its a 950 page tome. plus the glazed paper makes it a very heavy book to lift. haha
    work n economic life vala chapter shayad orange vaali mei kuch better hai. . baaki sab mei blue book is better.
    Thanks man! Will purchase if the result turns out positive. Thodi weight lifting to karni hi padegi ;)

·
  • @sprinkle - Thinkers can be done from blue book but they are all scattered in different chapters. As in, Marx's views on religion in a different chapter, methodology/social theory in a different chapter, historical materialism against is referenced all over.
    Thinkers are usually done by people from any of the following:
    a) Ritzer
    b) Ignou Notes
    c) Upendra Notes

I am uploading the index of Ritzer and some part of the index of IGNOU BA (Parsons and Merton acche diye hain Ignou mein. Self study karne vaalo ko Upendra shayad na bhi jame.. )

Ritzer

IGNOU This contains Marx,Durkheim,Weber,Radcliffe Brown, Malinowski,Parsons,Merton.
    ·
  • @My_Time_Is_Now

Self study karne vaalo ko Upendra shayad na bhi jame...
    What does it mean ?
    CSM-2014
    CSM-2015
    ·
  • edited September 2014
    @KD123 - it means may be the guys/gals who are preparing on their own might not be able to appreciate Upendra's classnotes that much. Atleast I had a problem in a few thinkers after reading his notes. Hence went for ignou.
    @sprinkle - I have shared my drive on the Sociology thread. You can download and take a look at ignou notes. I took their printout only.
    ·
  • @My_Time_Is_Now thanks a lot for the info..one more small doubt do we need the 5th edition of harlambos? I am using the 8th edition..
    ·
  • @My_Time_Is_Now thanks a lot for sharing the drive will download it
    ·
  • 8th edition is fine. No need for the fifth one. @sprinkle
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google