Bhawani Singh vs Synergy's Mohanty for Public Administration

edited November 2013 in Coaching & Websites
i am writing my prelims in 2012. i have no taken coaching for pub ad. i plan to take pub ad coaching in june after the prelims exam. i am confused between bhawani singh and m k mohanty of synergy. bhawani singh is old teacher and old students refer to him. but some say that he was better when he taught for hindi medium and he is not good for english medium. mohnaty class size is too much-more then 500 students in one class and i am not confident that in such a huge class i will be able to study. can someone guide me on this. any review of mohanty or bahwani singh?

#bhawaniSingh #mohanty #synergy

Comments

• edited 8:33PM
    bhawani singh is tried and trusted teacher.....mohanty is popular only nowadays...
    i took my classes with mohanty and i am very satisfied with him, last year what all he gave in the end came in upsc main exam.also bhawani singh teaches well, but doesnt give good notes.while bhawani singh gives more practical notes,mohanty gives more academic notes including thinkers in everything. since he has a political science-sociology background, he even gives contemporary thinkers and excerpts from papers submitted in different research institutes. also he keeps renewing some content every year.when in doubt, go with what most people prefer-mohanty.
    i did my classes at vajiram for all subjects. i was very confused about choosing between mohanty and vajiram. i was not considering bhawani singh. finally i joined vajiram because i thought to take coaching at one place only.u can try vajiram also.they are good.they maintain good quality.because mohanty notes are anyway available in market.
    thank you guys. I think i will go with mohanty sir as he sounds the safest right now. despite people in rajinder nagar telling about me about new comers like puri sir of vision ias.right now it is time to study for prelims.best of luck everyone.
    my optional is also public administration. i searched in google for who is better between mohanty and bhawani singh sir and came here.though people have been very helpful here with long comments sharing their experience, i am not able to make up my mind either about which teacher to finally go for.

now i am confused about bhawani singh + mohanty sir + vajiram pub ad :-(
    i have done both mohanty sir and bhawani singh sir. Go for Mohanty Sir. He is undoubtedly the best.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    He is undoubtedly the best.
    correction: the best you can get
    care to elaborate why He is undoubtedly the best.
    correction: the best you can get ?
    Don't u people think that vaji&ram is strict towards its teachers and they try to cover the whole syllabus or i should go to to mohanty for atleast covering important topic with more emphasis.
  • edited March 2012
    I might be a bit old to answer this, but Mohanty sir gives a no. of case studies and copious amounts of notes. When you read so much of his notes, you end up remembering a lot too. His answers are based on socio and pol science (his optional when he wrote UPSC), and most professors of Pub Ad are actually Pol Science proffs, so his notes strike a good note with them, and the marks fetched are high, if you write mohanty sir's notes.
    The Journey is the Reward
  • edited March 2012
    I found mohanty sir very useful and he helped me score 350+ consistently. I followed him religiously for Pub Ad.

However, if you don't have much time and you are close to Vajiram, its not a bad idea to join vajiram, because -
    1) They actually are very disciplined and complete syllabus on time
    2) since less no. of students write their notes, there is some uniqueness there
    3) I have met people with Pub Ad optional who have score 370-380 and had done their classes from Vajiram! and studied no books!

I have not seen vajiram notes nor referred to them, but it is a very viable option, given that for Mohanty sir, you have to stay in a queue for almost half an hour and the classes are suffocatingly crowded. (I did point that out to him. He changed his classroom an year back. I found it equally crowded and suffocating when I went to see him)
  • edited March 2012
    besides, you can always get Mohanty sir's latest notes in the market. There is nothing more to sir's teaching beyond the notes.
    actually @beenthere is right. Even I have met a few Vajiram Pub Ad students who scored unusually high marks in Pub Ad just by studying Vajiram notes. As for Mohanty, if you follow him well, you can be sure of not scoring below 280 (worst case scenario). If you are perturbed by the distance (and time consumed) in taking Mohanty classes ( esp when he starts with paper 2 and someone else teaches instead of him, it is a total waste of time, in fact days), and you are writing mains this year itself immediately after the coaching, vajiram would be good choice.
    besides, you can always get Mohanty sir's latest notes in the market. There is nothing more to sir's teaching beyond the notes.
    Hi,

I am working professional preparing for CSE. Due to time constraints, I could not prepare any one of the 2 optionals. My optionals are Sociology and Pub ad. I have bought Mohanty Sir's notes and will start preparing it along with GS from now on.

As I don't have much time remaining, wd I be able to score above 300 if I study only Mohanty sir's notes?

Thank You.
    You have Mohanty sir's notes? Is it in good handwriting? His notes are good enough to score 300+ in Pub Ad easily. But I would advise you to write down the whole notes in your own handwriting in June-July. Otherwise studying from someone else' s notes is not easy. At least not for me.

you can also try vajiram notes. they are also good. The benefit with Vajiram notes is that they are actually dictated by the teacher to the students, so they are available in good handwriting and secondly, they are very structured and easy to read like a book.

With Mohanty's notes, they will not be as organised as vajirams. Still you can compensate if you write whole notes in own handwriting. A lot of people just do Mohanty's notes and score pretty high.
    DPS R K Puram | Manipal | Microsoft | PMRDF | Founder, ForumIAS.com
  • edited March 2012
    "As I don't have much time remaining, wd I be able to score above 300 if I study only Mohanty sir's notes?"
    Briefly and succinctly in a word/sentence/phrase, yes you can. Sorry to confuse you by mentioning Vajiram notes.

But again, its important to focus on prelims right now. Pub Ad can be done after prelims in June -July
    "As I don't have much time remaining, wd I be able to score above 300 if I study only Mohanty sir's notes?"
    Briefly and succinctly in a word/sentence/phrase, yes you can. Sorry to confuse you by mentioning Vajiram notes.

But again, its important to focus on prelims right now. Pub Ad can be done after prelims in June -July
    Thanks a lot Ayush.

Well I bought printed notes of Mohanty Sir.
    @skaremor dont want to confuse you at this juncture...but it is best to take class notes..handwritten..printed notes are very bulky and not many people read them...try getting class notes of old students..dont do it right now..do after PT..come to delhi or ask any of your friends in delhi to send it to you..it is easily available at any xerox shop in mukherjee nagar or rajinder nagar..
    Actually, I'm an overnight success. But it took twenty years. -
    Monty Hall
    i am trying to say that printed notes are not bad..just that class notes of old students are better..
    Monty Hall
    and less bulky than printed notes...rest is your choice.
    Monty Hall
    @skaremor Nitin is right. While printed notes of Synergy are damn good (I have them). The students in Delhi use class written notes for a reason. Why don't you come to Delhi and get them for once? Or if you have friends, get them to send it to you.
    Thank you friends for your valuable guidance.. :)

I will get handwritten notes.
    @skaremor Most welcome. you can help by answering some of the objective questions that have been put up by someone at one go few minutes ago, almost ruining the look and quality of the forum. No idea why one would do that? for points, or just over-enthusiastic!
    and anyways the debate for choosing best pub ad teacher in delhi is far from over. everybody has different choices. some evn goto Sunil Gupta. you can stick to one and do your best. i know an acquaintance who only studied pub ad for 3 months and scored 410 in pub ad, so noone really knows what works and what does not..you just have to try your best.

with pattern changing in 2013, probably the pub ad teachers and the subject will be rendered irrelevant.
  • edited March 2012
    bhawani singh sir ke coaching ki ab website bhi hai...naam hai thenias... www.thenias.com ..
    you csn choose between mohanty and vajiram. even if u choose vajiram u will hv to study xerox class notes of mohanty. so that way u will hv studied from two notes..which is good.

i would not recommend bhawani singh.strict no no. he hs ruined a no. of students career by not giving notes and teaching his own funda..hv seen many bhawani singh students. who are exceptionally good not do well at mains for no reason.
    Supriyam is not entirely wrong about bhawani singh sir; in 2010 batch he gave no class notes..just blasted students with data..noone from that batch cleared that year..except Anu Singh who had some rank in 650s
    i m planning to start fr 2013...should i study pub ad frm now or not....how to study GS....
  • edited April 2012
    Msg from @DeepBlue

I read on this forum that u attended both Bhawani and Mohanty for Pub Ad . Who is better ?
    I plan to start coaching this June (2012) , i am a complete newbie to this Pub Ad thing (also IAS coaching) so for a novice whom would u suggest .
    Also i would like 2 get a complete preparation thing (Both P1 and P2)
    Please Guide
    Thanks
    @DeepBlue

Both teachers are old and established.

Teaching Style of Bhawani Singh Sir
    While Bahwani Sir is more fact oriented, and has a practioner approach. He incorporates current affairs pretty well in his teaching, especially paper 2. But a basic knowledge of subject is required, at least the vocabulary of the subject, before attending his classes. If he were to teach the recommendations of SARC (Administrative Reforms Commission), he would not say what the full form of SARC is, or why was it made. And many students who have no clue end up writing second "air-see" in their notes, i.e w/o knowing what SARC is.

Teaching Style of Mohanty Sir
    Mohanty Sir is the best available for Paper-1. He is more theoretical, incorporates case studies and published papers in his teaching, and starts from scratch on every topic. He is good for anyone starting from scratch. For e.g, if he were to teach the report of Second ARC (Administrative Reforms Commission), he would first tell you the full form of SARCh. Why the govt constitutes it, and who headed. The need for it etc.

Classroom Condition of Bhawani Singh Sir
    The classes will be small in size, comfortable seating, a/c will be cool, and you do not need to line up 30 minutes before the class to get a seat.

Classroom Condition of Mohanty Sir
    Classes will be huge, with over 600-800 students in a class. A/C might not work very well.Seating is uncomfortable.Need to reach class at least 20 minutes before it begins and line up.

Notes of Bhawani Singh Sir

Sir used to teach via slides and used to give printed notes, which were totally not readable. He gave no class notes. And his printed notes do not make any sense at all. That was till 2010.

In 2011 and henceforth, he has started dictating notes like other teachers which is a good thing. His notes are more comprehensive now. But his class notes are not easily available in the market.

Notes of Mohanty Sir

His notes are simple, lucid and abundant. He virtually dictates in the class. They are from the scratch and incorporate case studies and published papers. You can even study from his xerox notes. They will make sense.

His notes are available in the market.

Success Ratio of Bhawani Singh Sir

Classroom students of Bhawani Singh sir have not shown much success in recent years. I mean no high scores from his class. (Tell me if you know any. I might be wrong here)
    I know only 1 person from his class who scores 330+.

Success Ratio of Mohanty Sir

I have invariably observed that students of Mohanty Sir have gotten good marks in Mains paper, if not gotten through it. A Mohanty Student usually gets around 330 averagely (the people i met from mohanty classes-all got 300+) Since the class size is huge (600+), one may argue that no. of sucessful students will be high. Let me tell you that out of those 600 students, who end up writing mains, the chances of a good score are really high for mohanty students.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog